Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Deadlier than CoD, also love how the NPC handles the glass, so immersive!

Taxxe: https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShimmeringKnobbyArmyant-mobile.mp4

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

faithful commando posted:

Have you seen what Star Citizen used to look like? CIG is always updating the game with new graphical features. Volumetric clouds, improved lighting, new facial models, ship texture updates, planet overhauls, and many other items have been added in just the last year. Live service and active development games are always updated to the latest standard.

Just look at how an MMO like World of Tanks evolved over time

doubtful commando posted:

I really hope so.
Been playing other games the past few weeks waiting on 3.18
I think of Osiris New dawn, even No man's sky, they pretty much launched looking like an Alpha. If you compare them to what they are today, but every time they added something, it worked, was done, had gameplay, nothing T0 and we're thinking about this or that. They all worked on something, and released it.
When you play a range of games in short time and notice stuff it just make you wonder.

concerned commando posted:

And now let's compare your upgraded WoT graphics with the MS Flight Sim ones. Sure you can upgrade a 10+ years old engine graphics to a point but that doesn't mean they will ever be able compete with a couple of released and more incoming photorealistic videogames:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiyyLjSvaiU

faithful commando posted:

This is your idea of "photorealism"?

MS Flight Sim looks nice enough from a distance, but those tree textures look straight out of an old Gran Turismo game, and the grass is something you would have seen on the original Xbox back in the day. I'm trying to figure out how you're actually arguing that this looks anywhere near photorealistic. Even Star Citizen currently has better graphics and better performance:

anxious commando posted:

Everyone in the comments who does not see the point OP is trying to make, let me recap for you:

A SINGLE DEVELOPER CREATES:

Functional FPS Gameplay
Functional Creatures (not just demo sandworms)
Lush biome (not just deserts and ice)
Destructible environment
Rappelling off cliffs
Vehicle gameplay

In less than 2 years.

In case it wasn't clear: SINGLE DEVELOPER - 1, UNO, EIN, ONE.

Yeah you can parade all the known excuses and valid reasons.
Yeah you can claim continuous graphical improvements are likely.

But you have to realize a single developer will have this game out before SQ42 even hits alpha after 10 years of development.
A SINGLE DEVELOPER, ONE PERSON. That says something about the technology, and making smart use of systems and technology that's actually out there.
And it says something about focus, too.

OP isn't hating on SC, neither am I
We're passionate about it.
But becoming out dated before getting a chance IS a real threat that only increases as time passes.

edit: of course montoya confirmed that he's one of 'you are tolerated as long as you shut up' dicks

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

edit: of course montoya confirmed that he's one of 'you are tolerated as long as you shut up' dicks

Welcome to the parade unknown commando person. :)

Feel free to wheel out what people have done in their basements and a webcam in regards to making fun stuff with unreals metahumans too, and a variety of virtually photorealistic environments, all also done by some hobbiest lone developer.

Your next leap of logic should be to look at the supposed number of staff at cig, compare that number against the "work" being done on the game, and then maybe look at all the work being done on non-game stuff and notice that there seems to be a tremendous difference.

Then if you want to get real feisty and obviously banned, maybe ask why everything cig actually does deliver is effectively a broken prototype you're supposed to deal with as a finished product while everyone shouts "tier-0" at the sun, and why cig puts out work on people doing yet more pointless work like go cart racing or making rivers or working on a mess hall scene or deciding no space game can be complete without bedsheet physics which were obviously planned from inception as a critical path.

Feel free to join here once you've been banned for daring to ask or point these things out. :)

I mean look on the bright side too, a permanent ban is a mere 10 years, which in terms of star citizen isn't even enough time to get out of alpha. Maybe after your ban is times out they'll have a second star system and be in alpha 2.0.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Maybe you can go to one of the many "bar citizens" events cig is doing as their staff vacations around the world and ask them these questions directly. :)

I bet you could get some 1 on 1 time with Chris if you knew what he wanted. Hint: it's vitamins

Double hint: vitamins is not actually vitamins, don't be an idiot if you want some time with the boss man

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

The Titanic posted:

Feel free to wheel out what people have done in their basements and a webcam in regards to making fun stuff

Kinky! But I don't think we can post that here, sadly. :cumpolice:

The Titanic posted:

why cig puts out work on people doing yet more pointless work like go cart racing or making rivers

How dare you! CIG is hard at work! Just look at the latest Roadmap Roundup and what's committed for release.

The Titanic posted:

I bet you could get some 1 on 1 time with Chris if you knew what he wanted.

Kinky again! I bet Chris will wiggle that joystick if it comes with vitamins. :iiasb:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/J1ets88.gifv

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Sheet deformation is coming along nicely. :h:

Also while cats do that thing on basically any soft surface the fact it's doing a kitten nursing motion in that specific area is just :kiss:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Their latest ISC has their Lead Environment Artist showing how his teams organize their work and predict how long tasks will take by using...Microsoft Excel?

I'm genuinely curious, is this normal? Shouldn't they be using some software designed for this kind of stuff?

Timestamped video link:

https://youtu.be/-0cIaf3mPLw?t=200

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/montoya_test/status/1585710659064717312

quote:

Never apologize Montoya, you did nothing wrong. They are a screeching triggered very tiny minority of players and should be ignored and shunned. If we can all do that these parasites will pack up and go infest some other game with their cancer.

quote:

Any group that feels they have enough authority and public support to demand you yield to them is no longer a marginalized community.

quote:

They don't make requests. You can refuse requests, these people see themselves as the new aristocracy and the rest of us as the peasants. And they treat us just like historical aristocrats treated peasants.

quote:

So if a rainbow skin is ok- is a super-straight skin ok also?

quote:

im working on my binary flag to represent. im thinking black & white strips with male and female symbols. apparently in this day and age we are expected to shout from the roof tops our sexual orientation.

quote:

There is a third group. People that simply despise Political activism in their one true way of escapism. I cringe every time people think that gay folks are a "community". No they are simply people who have gay sexual prefferences. End of story. They are not persecuted in the west, and they have all the rights that everyone has, just like it should be.

What disgusts me is this "either youre with us on this or youre a homophobe attitude". No i refuse to give any political movement a foothold in the games i enjoy.

quote:

Why are people so heterophobic these days? The moment you don't wish to participate in someone's sex life you're considered a bigot or homophobe.

quote:

It's 100% political. There is no need for flags and pride anymore. They aren't marginalised in any way. Every single institution, company, organisation, government supports LGBT. They have more power in society than anyone else, apart from maybe BLM. So Paul needs to stop with the virtue signalling. It's pathetic.

quote:

I'd like to see someone try and display a Betsy Ross flag or the Confederate flag - see how long they'd last. Not that I'm into those flags myself - I'm an Irishman - an old IRA man to be exact so I have my own flags to display - point is the raging hypocrisy of it all. Wouldn't be so bad if we could all display whatever the hell we wanted but we can't - only the special kids get that privilege. So i'm sick of it. Sick of being marginalized in favor of a minority.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I don't think I'll ever be surprised to see what Excel gets used for. My company has some excel file that is generated for each project, all the engineers need to make updates in it and they all complain about it. But it will never change, they've talked about changing forever.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I loving hate all these dumb rear end people

gently caress them right into a black hole so I don't have to share the same universe as them

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Mine used to do that too, but i wasn't smiling. Those thin claws got through the shirt and really hurt

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

TheAgent posted:

gently caress them right into a black hole so I don't have to share the same universe as them

They'd prolly whine that the hole isn't white.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

I don't think I'll ever be surprised to see what Excel gets used for. My company has some excel file that is generated for each project, all the engineers need to make updates in it and they all complain about it. But it will never change, they've talked about changing forever.
My wife works at a huge rear end manufacturing company and they use excel to chart hundreds of people's work plus lead times for parts and a whole bunch of other poo poo in like this giant rear end spreadsheet thats hundreds of megs and keeps breaking because excel is not meant to handle dozens of users making simultaneous changes to a single workbook

This is a top ten manufacturer in the US lol

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I mean how do these people react to every other God drat game having pride cosmetics.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's peak anti-cancel culture idiot to make a self titled video about how you are being persecuted for "opinions".

"Montoya gets attacked for his opinion"

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
"Montoya uses third person. Montoya not afraid of non-binary."

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

making a 10 min video response to each question i get asked on twitter

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Their latest ISC has their Lead Environment Artist showing how his teams organize their work and predict how long tasks will take by using...Microsoft Excel?

I'm genuinely curious, is this normal? Shouldn't they be using some software designed for this kind of stuff?

Timestamped video link:

https://youtu.be/-0cIaf3mPLw?t=200

There are a variety of different software options for project management. Jira, Trello, Smartsheet, etc that all offer a variety of different workflows and tools.

The desktop version of Excel is basically the dumbest possible project management. If they were using excel in a shared way through office online or whatever at least that would be easily accessible to multiple people in the cloud.

I suppose it's better than a flat .txt file, but nothing else.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 28, 2022

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Bwahahaha. A year ago they were bragging about how Jira feeds directly into their tracker.

The whole reason you pay for Jira is so you can stop updating excel sheets. Those forms look almost exactly like what I used at work.... in 2008

They obviously can't afford it anymore which is why they're re-doing the tracker for a fourth time.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sardonik posted:

The desktop version of Excel is basically the dumbest possible project management. If they were using excel in a shared way through office online or whatever at least that would be easily accessible to multiple people in the cloud.

Not defending CIG here, but the desktop version of Excel works seamlessly on the cloud, it syncs instantly just as if you're using the online version.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If they're leading a small team it probably works just fine. As people have said, people use Excel for just about everything these days even if their are better dedicated tools, it's a familiarity thing.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Galaxt1ka/status/1585665710675660800

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Of course they're using something as dumb as Excel for this.

Psst CIG: Kanban boards and other structures exist.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

This is a (deliberately?) loaded question... because it's really 2 questions masquerading as one question based upon how informed and engaged the respondents are. There is little doubt in my mind that Yamiks is possibly the least well informed Youtuber of Star Citizen... he's entitled to his opinion, unfortunately too many might take it as fact, and they don't realise it's clear from what he says that he does almost no research into information (or even ask people) that is already out there.

There are two questions..

How much do you think CIG has accomplished in furtherance of the project? This is based upon 4 things:

1. What is currently in the limited core pillar deficient test bed Alpha... ie not much.
2. Information about development from the CIG communication sources.. more than most seem to acknowledge.
3. The attitude of the backer / observer in interpreting the information provided by CIG, there are those who don't want to see anything.
4. How much do you understand the requirement to build infrastructure and teams to capitalise on the preparation work done over the years by those who required a far higher technical capability than the 'tools users in bulk' they need now. There is a reason you pay an architect far more than you pay a team of painters and decorators.

How much progress do you think CIG may have made and not communicated that progress to the community in any form?

1. Inherently unknowable, even by those who profess to know and have some deeper understanding.
2. Subjective, since the overall plan is only known to CIG management. Their assessment of overall progress is the only one that counts.
3. Poor communication of that internal assessment. This is CIG's responsibility and I agree they don't communicate enough about the scope of what is planned relying on ancient information with no updating of that information, without understanding that scope (which very few seem to) there is no way to assess how much of that scope has been attained.

This is the issue I see with Streamers and Youtubers generally regarding Star Citizen. There are things they just don't want to go near, on the one hand they know they can get clicks from drama, but they also know there is a section of the population the OP here is well aware of that will jump all over them if they dare to dream and speculate beyond what might get them ridiculed. There is a reason they make more than one Youtube account, they are vulnerable on that platform if they depend on it for an income.

So.. the questions I will answer..
How much have CIG got done in terms of content. Far more than anyone knows or expects, why haven't we seen it? Because the core tech to allow it isn't ready and there is no use in simply filling an already over-full system with stuff to gawp at for five minutes. How bored is the average player with Orison by now?

How much of the core tech that has so many dependencies is done? Chris actually answered this. There were 12 deliverable features to reach Persistent Entity Streaming capability and they have completed them, they are now in the integration and testing phase and unfortunately like all testing phases there is no definite answer as to how long that will take, anyone asserting an actual time period contrary to CIG's assessment is merely speculating.

How many steps to Static Server Meshing: Chris told us.. 4 steps. Also it is known technology, CIG don't have to invent it, they only have to adapt it and implement it and there is no point in attempting that until Persistence is in place and functioning.

That's it, there's no more major core tech pillars after that that would delay a feature complete product, everything thereafter is refining for efficiency and expansion of an existing product, like any other game. No-one should be under the illusion that this project was ever going to be like other games with a final release date and some paid upgrades maybe a few years later, this game will be in development and expansion for years to come even after a commercial release. You won't know from playing the game the difference between Static Server Meshing and Dynamic Server Meshing in real terms. There is no game play the player can engage in that will be affected by Dynamic Server Meshing as opposed to Static Server Meshing, the new limiting factor becomes the gamers PC hardware after that and there's very little CIG can do about that.

Those who push for a 'finish' to the game don't get it, we don't want it finished, because that means it's reached it's maximum, we can look forward to something few other game franchises can endless expansion as long as the budget supports it. When you have a game to play, who cares if it's 'final' or not.

How long will it be until the content deluge comes after the core pillars of PES and Static Server Meshing go in - again those who speculate years up to 10 are talking off the top of their heads, they are saying what sounds dramatic to them. They have no clue what is in Squadron 42, or what assets have already been made and held back from the PU. They don't know what the latest iteration of game building tools are capable of now. We - just - don't - know. Do we know they keep saying there are spoilers about content they won't reveal.. hell yes!

What I can tell you from my own experience is this...

I visited the Foundry 42 UK offices in Wilmslow in March of 2016. This is what I'm prepared to say about that..

If anyone thinks that CIG just pour stuff into the PU as soon as it is ready to impress people somehow, and they only have one iteration of an in game feature or interactable done because that's all there is shown.. you couldn't be more wrong if you tried. There are far more varieties of things found in the game than you can possibly imagine, and even more things not in the game at all yet.

There are those who think CIG only make ships to make money, they can't compute the idea that CIG might have made ships they haven't shown and won't sell. They're wrong.

There are those who think of Squadron 42 as some on-rails rat run limited experience like a Call of Duty type game.. they could not be more wrong. Squadron 42 takes place in a fully built out universe in more detail than the current PU. There are game experience changing things in it that no-one even talks about anymore. Here's the irony, some of the noisiest detractors in this community who like to make endless 'concern threads' DO know about them.

Listen to what Richard Tyrer said about Aciedo Station (shown off previously).. it's a structure with internals the size of most single-player game maps in total, ie all the game maps in an early Medal of Honor game combined, and it "is only a very small part in the Squadron 42 story". The Shubin Interstellar Mining Corporation Archon Station is 6 kilometres long and has internal player traversable areas (an internal railway) bigger than entire single-player games - it was already built in March 2016.. I know, I was shown it. It's f**king huge!

When those Youtubers make an assessment of what content will be playable in the PU they forget that core capability is being built in just waiting for assets that game features can make use of.

These are the basic building blocks that allow activities not even related to the main features of the game, space travel, conflict and commerce. Anyone who actually built anything rather than yakked on about how others build stuff knows, having the base done is 9/10ths of the work. Pick any one of those base features and you can make things that use that base feature relatively quickly if you have the pairs of hands to use the tools.

Example: If you can pick things up and put them down as well as harvesting, you have basic farming.

Those who say it is almost criminal that CIG's digital artists keeping remaking things in the game haven't got a clue, that's how building digital art works. The first time it takes years, the next time you build it (better and improved) it takes months and the last time it takes days - and you can make a 1000 with variations in the same time it takes to make 1, because the biggest proportion of the work is the tool building and refining, planning and preparation. Chris did say back in 2019.. it took 3 years to get the PU to the state just before microTech went in, and when microTech went in they completely remade all the existing planets and moons AND microTech and it's moons in 3 months.

Those who have a perma-negatively blinkered view of what CIG can do are firmly of the opinion that planetary tech is the ONLY set of game building tools that have gone through this iterative revolution, and that everything they show on Star Citizen channels is all they have ever worked on... pretty short-sighted don't you think?

Those answers illustrate nothing more than the limited imaginations of those reliant on the opinions and attitudes of others least informed for their livelihoods. I hope you find it comforting to know that the actual guys I've had the privilege of meeting many times building this amazing game franchise universe have no such puny limitations.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Mirificus posted:

Why are people so heterophobic these days? The moment you don't wish to participate in someone's sex life you're considered a bigot or homophobe.

*sees man wearing pride flag*

*immediately starts thinking of the man sucking my cock*

Those loving gays and their heterophobia.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Not defending CIG here, but the desktop version of Excel works seamlessly on the cloud, it syncs instantly just as if you're using the online version.

Ok fair, admittedly I haven't used it like that, but I still think that's bad vibes to say the least. :colbert:

E: I wonder if their backups are just some guy's onedrive account, lmao

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 28, 2022

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

This thirst trap gets more reactions and replies than most official Star Citizen posts.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: The Other Kind Of Pride Flag

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Making a Twitch to fleece SC nerds out of their money is pretty great TBH.

Gotta be a ton of shitizen rubes that will dump their middle-aged wallet at a young woman if she says hello.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

I really do not want to read this, but is monocle cat using the "you have no idea how much they have done that they aren't showing" excuse to beat down anyone concerned by the lack of development over the last 10 years?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

monkeytek posted:

I really do not want to read this, but is monocle cat using the "you have no idea how much they have done that they aren't showing" excuse to beat down anyone concerned by the lack of development over the last 10 years?

Yes, except strictly by referencing things they allegedly saw 6(!) years ago.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The best part is the example being a railway larger than most single player games.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yes, except strictly by referencing things they allegedly saw 6(!) years ago.

Wait, they're trying to use "I met some CIG people and saw some SC stuff 6 years ago" as some sort of explanation as to why they're allowed to speak authoritatively?

Hahahahaha

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sardonik posted:

Ok fair, admittedly I haven't used it like that, but I still think that's bad vibes to say the least. :colbert:

E: I wonder if their backups are just some guy's onedrive account, lmao

Sharepoint/Onedrive/Office365 is absolutely a business-class product that's meant for large teams like this. That said the real issue is that Excel is a horrible choice for project management outside of small teams, there are so many better choices for project management. I'm sure MS offers some as part of that suite.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Montoya always struck me as generally a twat, but it's only now that I realise what kind. :barf:

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

phosdex posted:

In my fellowship they were using an Excel file to track trial data. There was a main sheet and each team member was given another sheet to add data. There wasn't any security or anything so everyone had access to everything. The project administrator made a new copy of the workbook every day "to make sure nothing accidentally gets erased". Each person was assigned a different background color for their data so the lead investigator could determine who added what (there was a legend on the main sheet). At the end of the day the administrator would copy all data from each individual sheet into the main sheet. It was kept in a network folder which only allowed one person to open it at a time - oops, the summer student accidentally created a local copy and now nothing is "synced"!

I came on the project and made an Access database in less than a day only to be told "this way is too complicated"

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sharepoint/Onedrive/Office365 is absolutely a business-class product that's meant for large teams like this.

Oh for sure. I just wouldn't have any faith in them at all to use them in a sane enterprise way. Their entire company is a governance clusterfuck. Hence, I wouldn't be surprised if stuff was just haphazardly backed up on random employees' personal OneDrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
If you are going for MS, Planner was simple and straightforward, last I checked