Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Get that tech!
Here's my setup - you don't need the wheezeworts if you have a trickle of uranium to feed the radiation lamp(s) - it is effective and can be automated so it is used only when needed:

The only issue is maintaining ~600W average the whole time you need to research, but with care it isn't too bad to kick out a tech.
Then save your steel and make a box with a good loop of radiant pipe to attach a refinery to and you have the beginnings of a industry area that will smelt and cool the whole base:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Any tips for cleaning out the slime biome? I've basically cleared it all out and now there's just a ton of slimelung mixed in with regular and polluted oxygen which seems to be laid out in interspersed layers. It hasn't gotten in and infected the crap out of my base yet or anything but I'm wary of it.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Any tips for cleaning out the slime biome? I've basically cleared it all out and now there's just a ton of slimelung mixed in with regular and polluted oxygen which seems to be laid out in interspersed layers. It hasn't gotten in and infected the crap out of my base yet or anything but I'm wary of it.

A vertical column of deodorizers all up and down the biome, and cover the polluted water with a layer of clean water. All of the slime, I usually put it in a bin under the pwater, or set up shipping to ship it through pressurized chlorine to kill all the germs.

Everyone usually says "just ignore it" but it hamstrings fresh dupes more than I like.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Clanpot Shake posted:

It's a mix of polluted water and salt water and brine. I think the aquatuner is gold amalgam but I think I have enough steel if that's an option.

Gold amalgam aquatuners are good to 175C, so if you haven't even evaporated the water you have some time

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

DarkAvenger211 posted:

https://youtu.be/gFLnTv5j-XI

Francis john knows all. Somewhat old but afaik not outdated.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Ah that's all good stuff thanks :)

How about long commutes. Is it just a normal thing to have that warning going all the time? I've built my vertical ladders with firepoles besides them and I think I've set up my priorities right but it appears most of my dupes just spend a ton of time running around. I also checked off the proximity priority cause I heard that might help but it still seems like I'm waiting a while to get stuff done.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Ah that's all good stuff thanks :)

How about long commutes. Is it just a normal thing to have that warning going all the time? I've built my vertical ladders with firepoles besides them and I think I've set up my priorities right but it appears most of my dupes just spend a ton of time running around. I also checked off the proximity priority cause I heard that might help but it still seems like I'm waiting a while to get stuff done.

Yes, there's a popular mod whose sole function is to disable that warning because it's functionally meaningless. Once your base gets a certain size it's basically impossible to optimize your dupes responsibilities such that they don't spend a significant amount of time travelling. You want to try to make their trips as efficient as possible with things like firepoles when they become available, but that warning will never go away.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I think the DLC manages this problem reasonably well by having extra asteroids. make many small bases, each with a specialized focus and try to get your dupes running near 100% on these tasks. The asteroids are small, and making small bases focused on few tasks makes it easy to mine out whatever resources are present, ship them out, and focus on one or two things (ranching asteroid, nuclear beekeeping asteroid, metal volcano asteroid,

Speaking of which, I found the water asteroid and I want to set up a small base to handle all of my food growing needs. The asteroid has thousands of tons of water on its surface (probably 100+ tiles deep), and I want to send a small handful of dupes to produce food for my entire colony + 80 kcal/day of berry sludge for the tree. This would mean around 100 sleet wheat and 120 bristle blossoms, plus a few microbe mushers.

Does anyone have a rough ballpark on how many plants a skilled-up farmer can harvest per cycle? What about the same thing, but for a cook?

Also, do interplanetary payloads change temperatures as they fly, or after they hit the ground? I'm wondering how feasible it is to ship out magma or 975C steam. Or liquid methane? Some quick numbers tell me that 1 kg/s of liquid methane shipped to a planet and warmed to ambient can provide as much cooling as an aquatuner cooling water.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes, there's a popular mod whose sole function is to disable that warning because it's functionally meaningless. Once your base gets a certain size it's basically impossible to optimize your dupes responsibilities such that they don't spend a significant amount of time travelling. You want to try to make their trips as efficient as possible with things like firepoles when they become available, but that warning will never go away.

I wonder how hard it would be to make a setting where you can adjust what level that hits at. Like, 40% is definitely too low after a certain point, but I can think of levels where I'd want to see it, not necessarily because there's more to optimize but because it'd tell me that something screwed up with my pathing handling or priority settings. I've definitely suddenly started running out of resources at points only to discover that I clipped a storage bin with a high-priority sweep so everyone's ignoring everything else to dump junk in storage.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HolHorsejob posted:

A vertical column of deodorizers all up and down the biome, and cover the polluted water with a layer of clean water.
Or don’t cover it and let it offgas, and for the price of a couple 5W deodorizers you get extra oxygen.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Or don’t cover it and let it offgas, and for the price of a couple 5W deodorizers you get extra oxygen.

Yasss!
Pisswater is life! This is the way!

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

WHen I deconstruct something do I get all the materials back?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Not everything, though. I tried deconstructing some plastic ladders I found and you don't get that back, it just removed the building.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Clanpot Shake posted:

Not everything, though. I tried deconstructing some plastic ladders I found and you don't get that back, it just removed the building.
Did you deconstruct it, or demolish it? Demolishing stuff (i.e. that needs the skill at the end of the builder line) the game put in doesn't return anything.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Did you deconstruct it, or demolish it? Demolishing stuff (i.e. that needs the skill at the end of the builder line) the game put in doesn't return anything.

I use the X key, dunno which that is

\/ that must be what it was

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 26, 2022

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
You might be conflating the two because the Gravitas ladders give no resources but the standard plastic ones do

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I love it when I can integrate those ladders into my base. It just feels right.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

HolHorsejob posted:

I think the DLC manages this problem reasonably well by having extra asteroids. make many small bases, each with a specialized focus and try to get your dupes running near 100% on these tasks. The asteroids are small, and making small bases focused on few tasks makes it easy to mine out whatever resources are present, ship them out, and focus on one or two things (ranching asteroid, nuclear beekeeping asteroid, metal volcano asteroid,

Speaking of which, I found the water asteroid and I want to set up a small base to handle all of my food growing needs. The asteroid has thousands of tons of water on its surface (probably 100+ tiles deep), and I want to send a small handful of dupes to produce food for my entire colony + 80 kcal/day of berry sludge for the tree. This would mean around 100 sleet wheat and 120 bristle blossoms, plus a few microbe mushers.

Does anyone have a rough ballpark on how many plants a skilled-up farmer can harvest per cycle? What about the same thing, but for a cook?

Also, do interplanetary payloads change temperatures as they fly, or after they hit the ground? I'm wondering how feasible it is to ship out magma or 975C steam. Or liquid methane? Some quick numbers tell me that 1 kg/s of liquid methane shipped to a planet and warmed to ambient can provide as much cooling as an aquatuner cooling water.
Stuff doesn't appear to change temps in flight (in a vacuum?)
Food-harvest wise, when Francis John did the same thing, he let the plants drop by themselves and used sweepies to collect along the rows - no farmers involved.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

oh jay posted:

I love it when I can integrate those ladders into my base. It just feels right.

I'll go out of my way to work Gravitas tiles and furniture into my base designs. It definitely feels right.

First priority if I ever get into modding is not quality of life, it's not difficulty. It's getting more stuff to make the place look spiffy. Background walls, decorative items, more variety in the base tile. WHY can I not hide wires behind drywall, that's what drywall DOES. It also takes a million years to put up anyway!

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

When I first found those structures all the tiles were made out of obsidian so I assumed that if I skilled up a miner and dug out some obsidian and then built tiles out of it, I could get those spiffy tiles around my base. That was definitely a disappointment.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

First priority if I ever get into modding is not quality of life, it's not difficulty. It's getting more stuff to make the place look spiffy.

This is mostly what gets me to pick the game back up every time. I want to made a Utopia where my dupes have access to all the luxuries they could want and tons of downtime. I always fall very short but I did get the wind tunnel up last time. I really want to get the hot tub going but I need a sustainable source of bleach stone and that takes a while!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I like to use the Gravitas facility as a telescope bunker

edit: I recently discovered drywall can be an issue for the telescope in some cases

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

I'll go out of my way to work Gravitas tiles and furniture into my base designs. It definitely feels right.

First priority if I ever get into modding is not quality of life, it's not difficulty. It's getting more stuff to make the place look spiffy. Background walls, decorative items, more variety in the base tile. WHY can I not hide wires behind drywall, that's what drywall DOES. It also takes a million years to put up anyway!

There is (was?) a "wallpaper" mod for exactly the background-hiding complaint.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

insta posted:

There is (was?) a "wallpaper" mod for exactly the background-hiding complaint.

Wallpaper mod best mod.

Yes it's still here, and it's amazing.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

floppyspud posted:

Wallpaper mod best mod.
I am skeptical any mod will ever beat Pliers.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
How good is Pliers though? Being able to easily reroute gas and liquid with no spills owns

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I will never go back.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Panty Saluter posted:

How good is Pliers though? Being able to easily reroute gas and liquid with no spills owns

Pliers is probably the single best QOL mod, followed by rest for the weary, partitioned storage, no manual delivery, and blueprints

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The mod that forces your adorable idiots to not think it's a good idea to drop half a ton of ice at the bottom of your ladder well because they heard the dinner bell is second only to pliers to me.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I am skeptical any mod will ever beat Pliers.

Oh yeah, I forgot about pliers.

But as far as like, adding buildings to the game, I think wallpaper is best.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

The mod that forces your adorable idiots to not think it's a good idea to drop half a ton of ice at the bottom of your ladder well because they heard the dinner bell is second only to pliers to me.

This sounds like exactly something I want, yeah.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
The worst is when they decide to eat something from the bottom of a deep sump and run out of air on the way back up, so they drop it back to the bottom even though that won't get them to the top any faster. Recover breath, rinse, repeat.

I had a dupe starve up death doing that. The starving message goes away when they get food, so the message went on and off and I thought it was different dupes running low before eating.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Is anyone aware of a mod that lets you have a much finer-detailed color scale for the temperature overlay? I found this which kinda works but that still seems limited to the 8 or so fixed points of temperature on the scale. I'm looking for something that has a lot more gradience to it like some weather map scales:

e: I tried making a custom color profile for that mod but it just crashes the mod on game load if you put more than the default number of colors in.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 28, 2022

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Trying to figure out how to use the Critter flux o matic. There's no buttons or anything for me to assign a critter to it so I'm not sure what to do

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Trying to figure out how to use the Critter flux o matic. There's no buttons or anything for me to assign a critter to it so I'm not sure what to do

I haven't used it myself so I am only guessing, but have you tried dropping off a critter on the left side of the device?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I haven't used it myself so I am only guessing, but have you tried dropping off a critter on the left side of the device?

It’s 100% this

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sure, after I pump out the entire ice biome that melted and flooded the drat thing. :argh:

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Ah thanks, that would do it.

Another quick one for you probably. I'm looking to get materials from a space mission. I assumed I just needed a cargo bay and it would collect stuff automatically but that's not the case. Do I need something else on this ship to collect solid materials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

In Spaced Out, you need a drill cone too (1t diamond a go)