Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also tim curry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I go back to Sacrifice once every few years. The music was great too.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, same. One of my favourite games ever, nothing really has scratched the same itch, specially how insane the late game spells get.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

all of your manahoars have been slaughtered

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

time to get armed and dangerous

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i refunded brutal orchestra. it is different and cool, and it's just what i imagined i wanted in a turnbased combat game right now, but it's not for me. the puzzly combat is not my kind of puzzle. the evil/unreliable tutorial demon feels stale to me. art's ugly. it feels like a trial run for figuring out a certain idea for combat mechanics. and i do like the idea, so i will try the sequel if they make one. it play pretty well, just a tad fiddly, on the Deck.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I hope this is the right thread to ask for a recommendation.

I'm looking for something to get sucked into. Things I like - clear goals within an open world, grinds with fun gameplay, short-term objectives as stepping stones to completing long-term objectives, checklists of fun things to do, never feeling like I have to think about what to do next besides selecting a task from a list. I don't care if I'm shooting, mining, swordfighting, driving, rhythming, I'm not married to any genres. As long as the moment-to-moment is engaging and rewarding. I am the kind of guy who opens Minecraft and gets decision paralysis and doesn't do anything until my gf looks over my shoulder and tells me to make a castle in a mountain, at which point I sink an entire weekend into that task.

Games I've lost hours and hours in: Diablo, Vampire Survivors, Warframe, Vermintide 2, Truck Simulator, World of Warcraft, Soulsbournes, various idle games, Deep Rock Galactic, Killing Floor, Hades, Orcs Must Die, pretty much every popular roguelike of the 2010s

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I see Cyberpunk 2077 is on sale - is it good now? I remember the bad launch and that it was promised that it would be patched and fixed but I really haven't paid attention whether that happened or not. I typically like Ubisoft-style open world action/RPGs so it seems like it should be up my alley but figured I would ask about if it's good now or not.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 28, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm looking for something to get sucked into. Things I like - clear goals within an open world, grinds with fun gameplay, short-term objectives as stepping stones to completing long-term objectives, checklists of fun things to do, never feeling like I have to think about what to do next besides selecting a task from a list. I don't care if I'm shooting, mining, swordfighting, driving, rhythming, I'm not married to any genres. As long as the moment-to-moment is engaging and rewarding. I am the kind of guy who opens Minecraft and gets decision paralysis and doesn't do anything until my gf looks over my shoulder and tells me to make a castle in a mountain, at which point I sink an entire weekend into that task.

Games I've lost hours and hours in: Diablo, Vampire Survivors, Warframe, Vermintide 2, Truck Simulator, World of Warcraft, Soulsbournes, various idle games, Deep Rock Galactic, Killing Floor, Hades, Orcs Must Die, pretty much every popular roguelike of the 2010s

Snowrunner, baby. We've got a lot of personality overlap it seems, and Snowrunner is my greatest of all time. I didn't even like trucks, and I now have hundreds of hours into it plus an entirely new real-life interest

gohuskies posted:

I see Cyberpunk 2077 is on sale - is it good now? I remember the bad launch and that it was promised that it would be patched and fixed but I really haven't paid attention whether that happened or not. I typically like Ubisoft-style open world action/RPGs so it seems like it should be up my alley but figured I would ask about if it's good now or not.

It IS good now - but honestly, trying to play it for the Ubisoft open-worldness of it is probably not very satisfying! Its real strengths are the narrative and side quests and writing and environmental presentation of it all. I personally felt that a little free-ranging was good, but I feel its best to hew pretty close to the questlines. It's really engrossing, but it still has some sharp edges that might drive "gameplay alone is what matters" people nuts. Still some bugs, but not dire and I think the story is worth it.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 28, 2022

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

big cummers ONLY posted:

theres another thread for that https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3196783 but since you asked here maybe try Valheim

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

big cummers ONLY posted:

Squiggle posted:

Snowrunner, baby. We've got a lot of personality overlap it seems, and Snowrunner is my greatest of all time. I didn't even like trucks, and I now have hundreds of hours into it.

Seconding this; I read your original post and was scrolling down to recommend it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

gohuskies posted:

its as good as it gets, so go for it. This question comes up like every 10 pages or so. Its not the messiah it was hyped into and never will be but it's a good game in certain ways and a bad one in others, but absolutely worth 30€

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

big cummers ONLY posted:

terraria, satisfactory/factrio/dyson sphere program, rimworld, stardew valley, no mans sky, 7 days to die

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
monster hunter

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

thirding SnowRunner. base game's on GamePass, too

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Thanks for those suggestions, I will pick up Snowrunner. I see it has a bunch of DLC, will I still have fun without all that? Budget's an issue right now

No Man's Sky is also attractive because of the space angle, and I'm 90% sure I already own it on PS4

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You do not need the DLC. There's like 200+ hours of content in the base game. If you actually get through all that, pick up the year passes, which contain all the DLC that's worth buying.

Do keep in mind that Snowrunner is an insanely slow paced game. It's fantastic if you're listening to podcasts or whatever, but if you expect it to be your sole focus it might wear you down.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Absolutely!

There's a hundred hours or more in the base game, but as for DLC there's two kinds:

The "truck pack" DLCs are totally unnecessary. As deeply as I love the game, I own only one of them. There is PLENTY in the game without them, and I figure they're just for people who really want to drive that specific truck.
The "season" DLCs they put out are one of those rare instances where it's just...more stuff, if you like what the base game offers. They're substantial and add new regions, new trucks, but don't overlap with any of the truck packs. Two of them are my favorite content in the game but every season is good, except for maybe Season 7/Tennessee which is built mostly around racing, which isn't... really what people play Snowrunner for.

You absolutely do not need the DLCs (although the seasons DO sometimes add some really useful upgrades for certain base-game trucks that don't quite shine as brightly without them), and if you decide you like it, you can just...buy it as you go and can afford it. It also goes on sale pretty often, so if you DO like the base game, just hold out for that before adding on.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 28, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gohuskies posted:

Yes, the DLC is coming soon, and there's a couple of QoL mods that are very easy to fix the major problems, apparently even the driving was re-worked to be excellent instead of hot trash.

Personal recommendation would be to cheat in the double jump legs after the tutorial. Traversal and navigation is a big part of making the open world missions fun and they basically change the entire way you approach the game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

gohuskies posted:

It's a lot less buggy but I wouldn't call it "good".

If you like chilling out and clearing all the icons off of a map, it's a decent enough one of those.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Voting against Cyberpunk 2077. My buddy and I played it and tapped out about the same time at 20ish hours in. Neither of us could really find a reason to care about the story or characters, and at least for me, Johnny Silverhand was an annoying character in all most all the scenes he was in. The gameplay is decent, so is the environment, but if you told me Ubisoft made the game I would believe it.

Not a bad game, just completely unremarkable for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I liked the main story but and I wasn't bothered by any of the bugs and still I thought that the game as a whole was unremarkable. The gameplay is absolutely soulless and none of the choices affect anything besides the one where you pick your ending from a drop down list.

It might be worthwhile to watch someone play through the main story only but that's about it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the game is fun and the characters are well written. if the setting is appealing itll be enjoyable

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stux posted:

the game is fun and the characters are well written. if the setting is appealing itll be enjoyable

A good setting can't fix poo poo gameplay.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

what ever happened to Dying Light 2? First game was surprisingly fun but the second just disappeared into the ether after it launched. Did it ever become good or fun?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

what ever happened to Dying Light 2? First game was surprisingly fun but the second just disappeared into the ether after it launched. Did it ever become good or fun?

i dont think much ever changed. just a mediocre open world zombie game from birth to death. i liked it alright but not enough to ever think about it again after beating it

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dying Light 2 has a lot of words though.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I can't get Dying Light 2 to perform well on my 2080ti so I kept waiting for a patch that would make it better but every time I boot it up the frame rate is a disaster. It also went several months with a bug that broke fast travel so that was a deterrent. I got to the second portion of the city back when it came out but then Horizon dropped and after that Elden Ring just completely engulfed my life for awhile.

Edit: oh yeah and the writing in Dying Light 2 is *painfully* bad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DL2 is fine if you skip all the dialog and just go in to do the missions and stomp on zombie heads, but I found a lot of the upgrade tree to be pretty unremarkable which killed a lot of my enthusiasm for it. Flying around with the glider is neat but I really hated the whole second map because figuring out how to get up to certain areas was really annoying when you're basically hunting down updrafts to glide on. I went back with a friend recently and played some more of it and it's definitely a better time with a friend but I was never motivated enough to finish it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

A good setting can't fix poo poo gameplay.

and yet people like the witcher 3. makes you think.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

big cummers ONLY posted:

This is exactly what I like about Hitman 3.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stux posted:

and yet people like the witcher 3. makes you think.

i've been trying to replay W3 recently, for the first time since 2016 when I quit on arrival at Skellige, and I like the combat :shobon:

(you bet i got some QoL mods tho. inventory limits are dumb, vendor cash limits are dumb, swapping oils is lame, that sort of crap. debating finding a fast travel everywhere mod, but so far I like riding from place to place, yes even in Velen)

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Mescal posted:

i refunded brutal orchestra. it is different and cool, and it's just what i imagined i wanted in a turnbased combat game right now, but it's not for me. the puzzly combat is not my kind of puzzle. the evil/unreliable tutorial demon feels stale to me. art's ugly. it feels like a trial run for figuring out a certain idea for combat mechanics. and i do like the idea, so i will try the sequel if they make one. it play pretty well, just a tad fiddly, on the Deck.

Completely understandable, I would say it needs a demo, but a run can be quite short.
Combat can be great or terrible depending on the build, where if you have a few characters unlocked, you can end up with a team that doesn't synergise well, like one that needs purple pips when you don't have a supply of them yet.
As for the demon / art style, I find it really charmingly, where the horrifying imagery is just 16 bit enough to mask it. Plus I love my little army of freaks.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

gohuskies posted:

It's fine. Really pretty. Good voice acting.

But nothing really innovative or special. Characters are not nearly as interesting as the Witcher, and it's very obvious the setting was written by a dude in the 90's.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

This is exactly what I like about Hitman 3.
And 1. And 2. The modern Hitman games are all about filling a checklist of (mostly) fun tasks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

It strikes me as a stellar Gamepass game after my 20 hours with it but I’m upset I put down a full $60 for a by-the-numbers zombie game with a story that just sorta exists. The combat is good like the first but I couldn’t get myself to carry on even in the second map with the hang glider. Like Cyberpunk 2077, it’s a good game in isolation but I’ve been there and done that in a lot of other games.

Has a pretty strong intro that sets up some expectations that weren’t met for me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

they never rewrote the main story, no

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I played it for two hours and practically fell asleep. Haven’t touched it since.

The story/voice acting/characters are so terrible right out of the gate it’s kind of impressive

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

anilEhilated posted:

And 1. And 2. The modern Hitman games are all about filling a checklist of (mostly) fun tasks.

Yeah, the 2016 onwards Hitman games are excellent for just being able to drop into a level and try different things, with challenges, tasks and player-made contracts that let you try all sorts of different things and see how things react to each other. Great games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Twobirds posted:

I have a wireless 360 controller and the official dongle I used to connect it to my PC appears to be toast. The controller was working okay before that. Is it worth trying an off-brand receiver or is that money better put towards a controller that isn't 15 years old?

the offbrand one i have works fine, it used to give me grief by deregistering itself intermittently (so i had to go into device manager and reinstall it) but that stopped when i went to win10.

logically you should probably get a new controller, but my 360 wireless is such a trooper it would feel disloyal at this point.