Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I've heard a number of stories about people getting sever sticker shock at the price of tires on the sportier X5s. Those things are massive (and massively expensive.)

edit: huh, page snipe. Sorry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
A work colleague had a beautiful first gen Q7 with the V8 TDI and 21”s.

He was so afraid of tyre and maintenance costs or damaging it in the rather tight parking building that he barely drove it anywhere, instead using a Hyundai Santa Fe

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I’ve also heard that X5’s chew through tires… like more than normal BMWs do

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seems like a lot of them I get behind have camber issues. Look like a lowered VW Beetle.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Early X5s especially have a poo poo ton of rear camber from the factory - it was part of BMW's effort to keep them shiny side up and understeery. Combine that with the portly curb weight, RWD bias, and general BMW driver enthusiasm and they're absolutely tire-eaters. Expensive tire-eaters.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I hate X5 owners that come in to the shop, especially the "I just bought this car" ones. Talk about a massive sticker shock, especially if they're unlucky enough that the PO got one of the packages with the split fitment.

If you can't afford shitloads of maintenance, buying what was likely a 6 figure new vehicle was probably a bad idea

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

What was the saying, if you can't afford two you shouldn't buy one, or something?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's one saying. Another never own an expensive car out of warranty.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Or in my case, a cheap one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cursedshitbox posted:

Or in my case, a cheap one. heavily abused farm truck

FTFY.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wb4alw7tus

Wes did a dumb :ohdear:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Zero One posted:

I've downloaded that video to watch on an airplane later today. Seems like typical Wes to own his mistakes publicly for all to see though. I like Wes.

While I'm no Wes I did a really dumb myself yesterday. Changing to the winter wheels I happily unzipped a summer front wheel, having forgotten to jack up that corner first. Clunk. Nothing damaged other than my pride but man was that a boneheaded thing to do.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

We all gently caress up. He got lucky that he didn't get pinned and slowly crushed. I had a car fall off jack stands seconds after I had been under it. I was tightening an engine mount bolt and put enough torque into it to tip the car off the stands. I had the stands up on blocks to get enough height to r&r the engine/trans from underneath, and I had the stands under the engine mounts, rather than out on the edges of the car.

Thankfully, I couldn't put that much torque into it from below or I probably wouldn't be here today.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Invalido posted:

I've downloaded that video to watch on an airplane later today. Seems like typical Wes to own his mistakes publicly for all to see though. I like Wes.

While I'm no Wes I did a really dumb myself yesterday. Changing to the winter wheels I happily unzipped a summer front wheel, having forgotten to jack up that corner first. Clunk. Nothing damaged other than my pride but man was that a boneheaded thing to do.

On wheel #3 of my changeover last weekend, I noticed my winter tires are directional and not omni-directional. I only had to re-do one corner, but that was annoying as my 10 year old Kobalt impact gun decided to go from corded to cordless on me and I was doing it all with a breaker bar.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Mine are directional too. I measure tread depth with calipers an put the best ones up front every fall so they'll wear out evenly. Sadly I have a vibration up front now beginning at 100 km/h. They'll have to come off and be re-balanced. IIRC they vibrated a bit last winter too but then it was in the rear and much less noticeable.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

We all gently caress up. He got lucky that he didn't get pinned and slowly crushed. I had a car fall off jack stands seconds after I had been under it. I was tightening an engine mount bolt and put enough torque into it to tip the car off the stands. I had the stands up on blocks to get enough height to r&r the engine/trans from underneath, and I had the stands under the engine mounts, rather than out on the edges of the car.

Thankfully, I couldn't put that much torque into it from below or I probably wouldn't be here today.

I managed to fail to notice that my Cutlass had rolled back away from the wheel chocks (the metal folding kind, so at least real wheel chocks, not bricks or something) when I jacked it up, rather than the jack rolling, and it slipped forward enough when I was wiggling the gar around for the stands to slide up the frame kick-up for the rear axle. I had a jack under the rear axle, but it was lowed a bit so I could change out the rear springs. The bad part was that my hand was on top of the axle at the time and it got trapped between the axle and the body (I think- it's been a while) as the axle stayed at the same height, but the body came down. Real bitch was that there was the hard brake line running across the top of the axle, now biting into the back of my hand (caught palm up.) Took some finagling and jack maneuvering, plus just deciding to "send it" and pull, to get my hand out. A little skin lost and a hell of a bruise, plus drat near brown trousers. Thankfully I'm left handed and it was my right hand. It was usable in a couple days, but I tell you that scared the absolute hell out of me. I'm paranoid about wheel chocks and jack stands now (you should be!)
Nowadays I also have the big rubber wheel chocks and put them on both sides of the tires on the ground.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Another thing that might be going on there after having done the Big Dumb is continuing to do a couple of small dumbs (locking the keys inside, and then putting them on the roof and forgetting where they were). Whenever I've done something stupid that sets any amount of adrenaline off (hurting / almost killing myself, breaking something expensive or whatever else is sufficiently upsetting), if I keep going is when I do more dumb dangerous or expensive mistakes. At least for me, best thing to do once the immediate danger is over and things are in a safe state is to just leave the shop for a while, but part of the problem is being temporarily too stupid to realize that.
In any case, kudos to him for not hiding his mistakes away.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Does anybody else remember the goon who had his 4Runner picked up from the rear bumper with a high-lift and had it rock sideways off the jack and pinch his skull between the end of the bumper and the frame of his garage door? He came to the forums concerned that he had felt his skull flex and now had some loose teeth and was wondering whether or not he should go to the doctor…

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

charliemonster42 posted:

Does anybody else remember the goon who had his 4Runner picked up from the rear bumper with a high-lift and had it rock sideways off the jack and pinch his skull between the end of the bumper and the frame of his garage door? He came to the forums concerned that he had felt his skull flex and now had some loose teeth and was wondering whether or not he should go to the doctor…

yes i remember that, and was thinking of it while i was reading about all these other adventures you all have been having

i remember him describing the sound of his skull creaking under load, and that mental image has stuck with me

on a related note, i used to work next door to a mechanic, and one time he was telling me about having dropped a car off a jack. he was under the car, it was a bottle jack on a cartoonishly precarious stack of wood to reach high enough, and it came down far enough to not only pin him, but also drive the air from his lungs and keep it out. apparently there was a floor jack close enough he could barely reach it with his fingertips, and he was able to get out. he was cheerfully retelling the story like a week after it happened, so i guess he didn't get hurt too bad. but, gently caress, i think about that one all the time too

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I was pulling a rear axle on a buddie's Cherokee once, and the jackstands weren't well positioned on the not very level garage floor, I also only had the bad side up, took my hand from under the brake disk I was removing right before the brake disk with car still attached slammed down where my hand had been .1 seconds before.

Bumper clipped me a little, but no damage, lucky as hell.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Preoptopus posted:

This happened to a guy on a winter highway in Minnesota or something. His driveshaft on his truck fell off and he reattached it. And threw his wrenches and all the tools from under the truck in order to leave. Before realizing his head was caught trapped by the drive shaft and exhaust. People kept driving by him seeing his feet sticking out from under the truck thinking oh its just some dude working on his truck and he froze to death.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I was doing an oil change on a dirt driveway like an rear end in a top hat and the jack stand sank in enough for car to fall off the stand. Fortunately i was wearing steel toes as the rotor came down on my foot.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Invalido posted:

I measure tread depth with calipers an put the best ones up front

Best ones go in the back you goober.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

for predictable traction, yes. for evening out the wear on a fwd car, no.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yes they do, but if the difference is 0.5mm and the most worn ones are at a depth of 7.5mm I figure it's safe enough to rotate them for even wear.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That is the common interwebs advice, good for people who have no real clue. When tread depth is low enough that this starts to actually matter in any reasonable real-world scenario, it's probably well past the point where they should be replaced.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
"Best tires on the back" is what we tell people who are replacing two tires, and clearly never rotate them.

When we're reinstalling winter tires (or summer tires), and the difference is 1/32", we'll put the "best" on the drive axle, because we're trying to maximize wear even-ness.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I wasn't there but the scariest car falling on a person story happened to a friend. It was a VW so FWD and up on ramps. The guy was under it and someone got in to start it and it was in reverse. He let the clutch out and shot the ramps out so it fell on my friend. Luckily it was a big GTG and a bunch of people were able to lift it off him right away. Lucky as hell.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Not a car, but my grandfather built trailers. We were lowering a new trailer off stands so we could floor and paint it, and we - very carefully - used a pair of hi-lifts to do it one side at at time. My brother was 14 at the time, and my grandfather was teaching him the right way to use a hi-lift that day, and my brother didn't get it all the way engaged in the notch on one drop, dropping the whole drat front corner of the trailer on my grandfather's foot. Thankfully it was only bruised, but my brother to this day makes drat sure any hi-lift he uses is perfectly maintained and the jack drat well engages fully on every bite.

My own hi-lift story, well, I was changing the front tire of the family car in the garage when I was 15, and didn't like the scissor jack the car came with, so I grabbed the hi-lift. And didn't get full engagement on a bite, and the handle jerked itself out of my grip, and I woke up thirty seconds later on the floor with one hell of a headache.

TLDR; hi-lift jacks are powerful tools, and you respect them or they will teach you to respect them, the hard way.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That is very much the truth. Having that handle pop back up at the speed of sound is eye opening - if it doesn’t knock you out.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

$.02 once it's on stands try to knock it off. Grab a wheel or fender and shake the gently caress out of the car. Like really try. If that sounds sketchy set it up better. If you're successful then wheels on is minimum damage.

If it's on a lift pick it up a couple inches and do the same.

poo poo I've seen... mk2 supra (celica supra?) On a 4 post. Dudes picking it up with no chocks and ramps still on. Gets it high enough and starts letting it back onto the locks.... but only the front 2 have cleared. The flat part of the lift starts to tilt and the car starts to roll back. Dude screams and runs to the back of the car and plants both hands on the rear bumper. And holds it. I run over and hit the button to raise the lift. Everything is fine. I have a melt down at chucklefuck. All the fuckup details were noted after.

Different shop, coworker is aligning a race car. Corner balance too. Shop had an old school alignment rack. 4 individual stands you had to level under the tires. Maybe 3' tall. Coworker puts the scales on the pads. This defeats all the safety features they have. I am unaware. I hear a yelp and a BANG. The pads have wings at a 45 deg angle to re-enter the tires if the car moves. The extra height of the scales has turned safety into a lever. All 4 pads have tipped backwards, dropped the car, and now it's bound up on the arms of the 2 post lift. Uhhhh gently caress. Unstable cluster gently caress about chest high. We manage to forklift the car back onto the lift and again no injury cars fine.

3rd shop. Owners doing a fuel pump on a truck.

Me: you should put a support under the front before you drop that tank.
Owner: nahh I've done this for years
Me: pole jacks right here
Owner: brapp braap creek clang crunch

Truck did a header right off it. No injuries but truck was destroyed.

I am so glad I've never seen anyone die working on cars. It's come way to close though. Try, and I mean really try, to push that car off your lift or stands before you get under it.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Raluek posted:

yes i remember that, and was thinking of it while i was reading about all these other adventures you all have been having

i remember him describing the sound of his skull creaking under load, and that mental image has stuck with me

on a related note, i used to work next door to a mechanic, and one time he was telling me about having dropped a car off a jack. he was under the car, it was a bottle jack on a cartoonishly precarious stack of wood to reach high enough, and it came down far enough to not only pin him, but also drive the air from his lungs and keep it out. apparently there was a floor jack close enough he could barely reach it with his fingertips, and he was able to get out. he was cheerfully retelling the story like a week after it happened, so i guess he didn't get hurt too bad. but, gently caress, i think about that one all the time too

Glad I’m not the only one who remembers that horror story. The creaking stuck with me, too. Nightmare fuel.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Broke another Subaru BRZ 6spd transmission, 4th again. Yay.

I think these are part of the synchronizer hub

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Transmission con carnage

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll open it up after I get it out of the car. I'm going to pick up another transmission now, I need to get it back into the car and do a string alignment by Thursday since it needs to be on the trailer for two SoCal events this upcoming weekend.

The transmission took a bit more pressure to get into 4th than normal the last session on Sunday, so I was expecting it to just want a fluid change. The bits surprised me since there was never really any real weirdness/noise/etc, it was a built transmission.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

it was a built transmission.

What, are the normally grown or hatched or something?

:dadjoke:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Everyone knows the best transmissions are free-range. When you get factory-farmed transmissions, that's how you get 4L60Es.

My most recent "that could have been much worse" story is I was doing some work on the TJ - I forget what now but I had a reason to have the parking brake off, probably involved pulling a driveshaft. Had it up on jackstands while working on it, but forgot to engage the parking brake or any gear in the transmission before lowering it back to the ground.

On my sloped driveway.

Thankfully it would've been rolling into an empty street at a very low speed but I managed to reach in and yank the brake handle before it picked up any real momentum.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Mine are all 3D printed now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

:tif:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Everyone knows the best transmissions are free-range. When you get factory-farmed transmissions, that's how you get 4L60Es.

My most recent "that could have been much worse" story is I was doing some work on the TJ - I forget what now but I had a reason to have the parking brake off, probably involved pulling a driveshaft. Had it up on jackstands while working on it, but forgot to engage the parking brake or any gear in the transmission before lowering it back to the ground.

On my sloped driveway.

Thankfully it would've been rolling into an empty street at a very low speed but I managed to reach in and yank the brake handle before it picked up any real momentum.

Good god, that is scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I won't soon forget lifting up the back of my truck to replace a flat in the driveway and wondering why it was moving away so fast. All that took was a turn of the jack handle and it came to a quick screeching halt.