Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Quixzlizx posted:

The problem isn't with the available slots, but with the lack of mounting bracket for the M.2 2280 slot. So you'd have to source one independently.

Gotcha thanks. I ended up going for the deal, not too concerned dropping another 150-200 to upgrade it to more ram and memory in 6 months or so.

Just needed to hop to something since even the games I can get to work on my MacPro from 2012 are talking ending support for Catalina.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What kind of problems will I run into if I try to install stock Windows 11 onto an Inspiron instead of using Dell's factory restore process? I'm trying to fix my brother's laptop, and it's exhibiting serious issues even immediately after a factory reset, but they seem to all be software related, so I'm thinking dell's stock windows setup that's loving it up somehow. Basically, the laptop starts fairly responsive, but it quickly starts slowing down until eventually it's a crawl and there's like 70 - 100% cpu usage from "system interrupts" at which point it blue screens with a different message every time. I checked the temps and they're pretty good (all in the 50s), and this is immediately after a factory reset so there's no third-party stuff installed. I'm basically out of ideas outside of just installing a non-dellified version of windows, but i dunno what the best way of doing that is.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What kind of problems will I run into if I try to install stock Windows 11 onto an Inspiron instead of using Dell's factory restore process?
It'll most likely be an absolute arse (e.g. you won't have any network drivers so you'll have to find the right drivers on another computer and put them on a USB stick and ferry them over), and you'll end up with probably the same drivers as you already have anyway.
Have you tried booting in safe mode, and does it prevent the problem? If safe mode is just as hosed, then there's most likely a hardware issue and you'd be wasting your time. ("Seeming software-related" can easily be memory or CPU or video card issues.)

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Why do you think windows 11 won't have drivers for bog standard laptop chips like wifi and Lan?

It'll be fine.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Aware posted:

Why do you think windows 11 won't have drivers for bog standard laptop chips like wifi and Lan?

It'll be fine.
Maybe I'm just out of date. My experience has always been that every manufacturer has their own stupid versions of everything so you can't get updated drivers after the three month window in which the laptop manufacturer bothers to update their driver download page for that model. For example, I can't get updated nvidia drivers for my GTX 1050 because neither the nvidia software for updates nor windows will do it, only the MSI poo poo that hasn't had a new version will. And the trackpad, too, had lovely drivers which, if you tried to install standard drivers, would fight them for supremacy causing neither to work right.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You'll probably be fine with the normal stuff, you just might get some errors related to stuff like custom buttons and crap like that.

However, that doesn't sound like a software problem. I'd actually wager you blue screen during install of Windows.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Aware posted:

It'll be fine.

Can't tell if this is sarcastic or not

Windows auto driver finder and installer wizard, I think the only time that ever actually worked for me was windows 2000 and an iomega zip drive that hadn't been in production for five years

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Ok grandpas

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've blown away Dell and Alienware Windows installs for a decade or more without any issue. In fact, Windows update tends to grab more recent drivers than Dell for most things

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I mean if you're worried about a vanilla windows install not having drivers (or about a BSOD during install bricking the device) then you can always try uninstalling the dell drivers for each thing in device manager and seeing whether the windows generic drivers work. I suspect they will for almost everything.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I reinstalled Windows on it with a clean windows install just fine after loading the proper storage drivers onto the USB drive (it couldn't see any drives until I did that). Did an offline install, copied over the network drivers, download and installed all other necessary drivers. It was a bit of a pain, but on the plus side there's practically no bloat now. I still got a blue screen with a display-related error message after updating the Nvidia drivers, so I rolled those back and things seemed fine? The problem only started recently for my brother, so it may have been caused by the nvidia drivers. Still, I was paranoid enough to disable the lovely MX550 in there entirely in the device manager. Intel's integrated graphics on the 1260P are enough for what my brother does on it. After running various tests for an hour, things seem fine. Here's hoping the issue doesn't crop back up again.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 28, 2022

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wait, if it's got a 1260P it's from the last year and is surely still under warranty?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

Wait, if it's got a 1260P it's from the last year and is surely still under warranty?

Yeah, but dealing with Dell support and going through the warranty process sounds like an absolute nightmare, so I wanted to see if I could fix it quickly here before telling my brother to do that. If any issues persist, then I'll just use dell's recovery media to reset it back to its original state and have my brother go through dell's warranty process.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You could also try the drivers from Dell Command | Update

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lisa has a review of the new Surface Pro Intel version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpABlcB4gZI

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Here's my review (compared to the non-numbered one):

- Faster probably
- Bluer
- Pen is kind of floppy and flat. Feels like a compromise to get it into the keyboard. No more sourcing AAAA batteries, but they lasted so long it wasn't an issue.
- Don't need to worry about the pen sheering off when carrying the tablet
- Heavier, but not noticeably bigger. Larger battery?
- Longer battery life; not sure how much is due to efficiency, battery size, and being new.

(i7 version)

I'm still surprised this device has no direct rivals. Works for my use case, but then again, that use case might be reasonably uncommon. (Penning things + running arbitrary software on a portable device)

Sounds like from the vid review there have been swaps in the designs; ie the power button placement is same as my old one.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 28, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

You could also try the drivers from Dell Command | Update

Yeah, this isn't a bad idea. My work laptop is an Inspiron (no dGPU, just Intel) and it's installed a fair number of updates through that. It's also had what I would describe as an alarming number of BIOS updates over the last couple years, but since it's not my personal machine I haven't dug too thoroughly into exactly what it's doing - I just try to make sure I can confidently say I've been diligent about keeping it secure and up to date.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
A goon told me to buy this

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-15-6%C3...28-de351f41cffb

Is he trolling me?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Did you ask "hey I need a gaming laptop that's got a high refresh rate screen and a 3080 so I can play twitchy shooting games and get a high KDR?" Because then, no, they wouldn't be trolling, that's what you'd be asking for. It's not a super practical choice if those aren't your considerations, since gaming laptops are one of those segments where you really would be better off with a desktop due to the price being better and laptops get hot and throttle quickly due to the small and thin form factor, but if you need one because you travel a lot/are in the military and need to get all those 360 noscopes then yeah, that's your market segment.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Normally I can tune out pop-up ads when reading articles, but this one made me do a double take from the corner of my eye

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That "3080" isn't a desktop 3080 and it's further limited by the amount of power it's allowed to draw. There seems to be diminishing returns beyond the 3070Ti for most laptops, and even lower models in some cases.

Which is to say, don't expect 3080 performance or even 3070 performance - and you might consider a lower spec laptop hence.

This channel has a bunch of good videos on gaming laptops - pretty sure he has one comparing various top end laptops while showing their power limits but this is the video I found most easily:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrIPg8KCC5A

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Did you ask "hey I need a gaming laptop that's got a high refresh rate screen and a 3080 so I can play twitchy shooting games and get a high KDR?" Because then, no, they wouldn't be trolling, that's what you'd be asking for. It's not a super practical choice if those aren't your considerations, since gaming laptops are one of those segments where you really would be better off with a desktop due to the price being better and laptops get hot and throttle quickly due to the small and thin form factor, but if you need one because you travel a lot/are in the military and need to get all those 360 noscopes then yeah, that's your market segment.

yeah and they aren't configured that well either, my laptop was a 'gaming' laptop, and turning off the 'power boost' option (which basically overclocks it) significantly improves performance since it doesn't immediately hit the limit and drop frames as it frantically thermal throttles to avoid frying.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's not a troll recommendation but I almost never suggest a 3080 laptop for the suggestions given. For about half the price you can get a laptop that will be 75% the power theoretically and in practice under normal thermal conditions probably more like 85% the performance.

What are you looking for?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I guess what yall are saying. I work night shift 12s and have a lot of free time so I wanna do some gaming while I get paid to sit around. So I guess it'd be the step below that if the 3080 is effectively wasted by being in a laptop.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

What games do you play?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Paradox map games, war craft. I'd like to play that fancy hell let loose game though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Paradox map games, war craft. I'd like to play that fancy hell let loose game though.

Lol, that laptop is overkill. Get a legion or g15 with a 3060. In the next few weeks they will be on sale for about $1000

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Even for hell let loose?]

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Even for hell let loose?]

quote:

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-8400/AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB /AMD Radeon RX 590 8GB

Yeah, it mostly recommends hardware from the Obama administration. The game appears to be pretty CPU bound, not GPU and pretty single threaded. So a 3080 is going to be overkill. You can probably play it fine on a $600 laptop tbh, but given where you are in budget stepping up to the $1000-ish mark is almost always worthwhile.

Actually, all your games are very CPU bound, so try to get a 6800 or a i7 12series intel if you can. Another reason that laptop you linked isn't ideal is that the CPU is a little old. It's not bad or anything, but you may see better performance on a cheaper laptop for CPU-bound games.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Coupons are stacking for the Legion 5i Pro right now.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/High-...s.665203.0.html

quote:

At its official online store, the reputable Chinese PC manufacturer currently offers the aforementioned Lenovo Legion 5i Pro with the fast Intel Core i7-12700H Alder Lake processor and the well-known Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Ti dGPU with 8GB of GDDR6 VRAM and a massive TGP of 150 watts for just US$1,660 including free shipping. In order to get the 16-inch gaming laptop for this price, please apply the combinable coupon codes "GAMINGDEAL" and "HOLIDAYSURPRISE" in the shopping cart. Since this version of the Lenovo Legion 5i Pro usually costs almost US$2,500, this deal offers savings of more than US$800 or roughly 33%.

As much as I love my Asus ROG, and that chassis in general, I don't think I could swallow spending 2 grand on a Ryzen 5000 series laptop even with a 3080. In fact, I've found the 3060 in mine to be incredibly capable. Been playing a lot of Cyberpunk with ray tracing and DLSS and it looks amazing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

Coupons are stacking for the Legion 5i Pro right now.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/High-...s.665203.0.html

As much as I love my Asus ROG, and that chassis in general, I don't think I could swallow spending 2 grand on a Ryzen 5000 series laptop even with a 3080. In fact, I've found the 3060 in mine to be incredibly capable. Been playing a lot of Cyberpunk with ray tracing and DLSS and it looks amazing.

Yeah that's a good deal but overall if your not really trying to push it I still think the 3060 is a better mobile GPU due to thermals and power consumption.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Lockback posted:

Yeah that's a good deal but overall if your not really trying to push it I still think the 3060 is a better mobile GPU due to thermals and power consumption.

Oh yeah absolutely. 3060 moves you into a much more reasonable/comfortable price bracket too. Not gonna lie, I do wish I had a little extra horsepower sometimes with modern titles. My laptop is my everything machine; I don't have a desktop.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I have laptop with 3080 and it's a total overkill for 17" screen. I usually just put it in quiet mode and drop screen resolution to 1080p while gaming.
If I were to get a new laptop I'd probably also get one that exhausts hot air back, since my present one does it mostly to the sides. After a while I start to feel it in my mouse hand.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Best Buy has a bunch of laptops for sale. Here's a $1,100 Asus G15 that is a great fit for anyone I told "Wait until a 3060 or equivalent goes on sale for ~$1000". It has a 6800M GPU and a 5980H CPU. 1440p 165hz screen.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...b-ssd/6486485.p

This MSI Sword isn't bad for $1000, 3060 and a 12th gen Intel. MSI doesn't have the same build quality and thermals of ASUS Strix line though. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-sw...p?skuId=6496176

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Lockback posted:

Best Buy has a bunch of laptops for sale. Here's a $1,100 Asus G15 that is a great fit for anyone I told "Wait until a 3060 or equivalent goes on sale for ~$1000". It has a 6800M GPU and a 5980H CPU. 1440p 165hz screen.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...b-ssd/6486485.p

I still think this is an incredible machine for the money. Mine with a 3060 was nearly $1500 at launch and the Radeon is a heck of a card.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new ASUS TUF laptop. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a camera and the lack of a numpad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J1787JF

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Frozen Peach posted:

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new ASUS TUF laptop. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a camera and the lack of a numpad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J1787JF

I'm not a fan of that laptop, the TUF line is the lowest line of Asus. Any particular reason you are going for 40GB of RAM? I think the Strix I listed above is a much better laptop and if you upgrade the RAM yourself it'll come out pretty close.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Lockback posted:

I'm not a fan of that laptop, the TUF line is the lowest line of Asus. Any particular reason you are going for 40GB of RAM? I think the Strix I listed above is a much better laptop and if you upgrade the RAM yourself it'll come out pretty close.

I mostly want a development laptop, with gaming on the side. The Strix are so flashy and lit up and I don't really need that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Frozen Peach posted:

I mostly want a development laptop, with gaming on the side. The Strix are so flashy and lit up and I don't really need that.

You can turn all the glowing stuff off.

In short, I am not in love with that TUF for that price, but there's nothing wrong with it.