Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

My biggest gaming purchase regret was not waiting for the GBA to come out. I was young and simply couldn't wait the 9 months or whatever to NOT play Pokemon Gold and Silver, so I got a Game Boy Color that Christmas instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

The REAL Goobusters posted:

https://twitter.com/hellenataylor/status/1585851058047311873

after doubling down despite conflicting reports, former bayo voice actor is asking people to donate to these charities instead. Including a pro-life one. Incredible

Great job burning all bridges in the industry & showcasing to everyone that you're a regressive chud.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Chieves posted:

My biggest gaming purchase regret was not waiting for the GBA to come out. I was young and simply couldn't wait the 9 months or whatever to NOT play Pokemon Gold and Silver, so I got a Game Boy Color that Christmas instead.
Eh I don't know if that's the worst thing. The OG GBA was very difficult to see. I've never owned a GBC, but my impression was that the GBA screen was darker even for GBC games--really not ideal.

The GBA library didn't really come into its earnest until late 2002/2003 anyways, at which point a GBA SP would've been a reasonable follow-up.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The GBA SP was dope and probably my favorite form-factor.

I could sit in class with my backpack on my desk, obscuring the GBA, while I played masterpieces like Advance Wars with one hand.

I had to hide Tetris behind another person but I think I was pretty successful in doing so -- it turns out high schoolers don't move a lot in their sleep.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You lose equipping weapons on your feet in Bayonetta 3 but weapons change your whole moveset now which is neat, like this big hammer I got turned my gun from a handgun to a cool rifle. Game is pretty cool

hatty fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 28, 2022

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was going through some of my stuff last night, and found my :retrogames:LIMITED EDITION PLATINUM:retrogames: GBA that I got around the time the SP came out. I'm surprised how weird the shape of it is when I took it back out of the box. The screen is so small and now I get why so many games had the complaint of the ratio being so unusable. I don't know how I beat Megaman & Bass on that thing.

Also the SP is awful to me, because I was already a high school student at the time, and I can't use my giant hands to hold that toddler plaything. My entire fingers overlapped each other to the knuckles when I tried to use my friend's. I would have had carpal tunnel or something from that thing. The gba micro felt like they were just trying to see how dumb people really were about buying way too small handhelds.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
its cool how your weapon set also effects your movement boost, at least for that big hammer

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hrist posted:

Also the SP is awful to me, because I was already a high school student at the time, and I can't use my giant hands to hold that toddler plaything.
My friend, let me tell you about this thing, the Nintendo DS Phat.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

hatty posted:

You lose equipping weapons on your feet in Bayonetta 3 but weapons change your whole moveset now which is neat, like this big hammer I got turned my gun from a handgun to a cool rifle. Game is pretty cool

I think it's a good tradeoff, being able to pick which demon you summon adds a bit to it too

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
How is Bayonetta's new voice

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I can't tell the difference between Bayo's new voice and her old one. I would not have even known if that whole thing didn't happen

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If I hadn’t heard about the change I probably wouldn’t have noticed a difference.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Peach being an indestructible queen aside, something about the new Rabbids game just isn't grabbing me the way the first one was. Granted I'm only on world 2 right now so I haven't even gotten Bowser or Rabbid Rosalina yet. But I'm not a fan of the open world aspect of the hub world compared to how the first game worked. I'm not a fan of how they are handling encounters this time with enemies just walking around that you start battles with. The big thing though is, the music so far has been pretty weak? It's still Grant Kirkhope right? Because so far none of the music has been anything special. I mean extremely early into the first game you're treated to THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRTj3i0ri3I

And so far there hasn't been anything even close to this. All the music has so far been relatively quiet and downplayed. It's really dragging down the fights for me.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It probably would've been a stretch to fit them on the original GBA let alone the SP and "lol" the micro, but I do wish that console had 4 face buttons.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

WHY BONER NOW posted:

About the same it cutscenes but slightly worse in battle

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

Peach being an indestructible queen aside, something about the new Rabbids game just isn't grabbing me the way the first one was. Granted I'm only on world 2 right now so I haven't even gotten Bowser or Rabbid Rosalina yet. But I'm not a fan of the open world aspect of the hub world compared to how the first game worked. I'm not a fan of how they are handling encounters this time with enemies just walking around that you start battles with. The big thing though is, the music so far has been pretty weak? It's still Grant Kirkhope right? Because so far none of the music has been anything special. I mean extremely early into the first game you're treated to THIS:

And so far there hasn't been anything even close to this. All the music has so far been relatively quiet and downplayed. It's really dragging down the fights for me.

Yeah Grant Kirkhope, Yoko Shimomura, and Gareth Coker.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Scholtz posted:

It probably would've been a stretch to fit them on the original GBA let alone the SP and "lol" the micro, but I do wish that console had 4 face buttons.

A, B, start, select, theyre all there buddy

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I have to agree on the music and sound effects, there are lots of parts of the game that sound eerily silent. The music really doesn't grab me at all when you do hear it and it's such an odd contrast to the first game.

I do enjoy the battle more if only because rabbid mario and peach feel way too powerful so far.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My friend, let me tell you about this thing, the Nintendo DS Phat.

Never had the original, because I thought the DS was a dumb gimmick for a while. But the lite and DSi were fine in terms of how they were designed and felt holding them. The SP was probably the only handheld they ever made that didn't like. :shrug:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
How's the performance in Bayonetta 3 with regards to framerate during the gameplay?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Macaluso posted:

That's a shame, the first boss music was what got me to buy the original.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hrist posted:

Never had the original, because I thought the DS was a dumb gimmick for a while.
For the first year it was, I don't think anyone would disagree.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Every Nintendo product is like 75% people using its gimmick as a gimmick, 20% people trying to ignore it, and 5% amazing stuff that makes it worthwhile.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DS didn't get good until the summer of 05 when Kirby Canvas Curse, Meteos, Advance Wars, and Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow came out

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Meteos was so good, so sad it only had 2 entries, one of which was a weird disney tie in

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Macaluso posted:

the first one looked much better and felt more tactical too, these levels feel procedurally generated and no friendly fire, no grid, I'm just goofing around. The first one also felt like a mario game, this one is less focused.

The first game looked really good

Antonymous fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 28, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Waittttt bayo 3 isn't at a locked 60 FPS? Holy poo poo we need new hardware like last year. This is kind of a big deal for character action games

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pretty sure Bayonetta 2 did just fine.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

Pretty sure Bayonetta 2 did just fine.

I thought that ran it a fluid 60? It certainly does on my switch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It doesn't, lol.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/BrizzyVoices/status/1586038635916206080

Wow, what a cool voice actor!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

It doesn't, lol.

Oh wow apparently it dips as low as the 40s in hectic scenes, it's been over 2 years since I played it but yeah I don't remember being bothered by frame drops

I played handheld. Never docked it fwiw

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

KingSlime posted:

Waittttt bayo 3 isn't at a locked 60 FPS? Holy poo poo we need new hardware like last year. This is kind of a big deal for character action games

I can't think of one Platinum game that has a locked framerate outside of remasters. Well except Astral Chain but that was 30FPS lol

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Meteos was so good, so sad it only had 2 entries, one of which was a weird disney tie in

When I finally bought a DS, Meteos was my very first game for it.

God drat masterpiece. Shame there wasn't really a proper 3DS sequel without the Disney stuff.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Oh wow apparently it dips as low as the 40s in hectic scenes, it's been over 2 years since I played it but yeah I don't remember being bothered by frame drops

cool sounds like you won't be bothered by 3 either then

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Frame rate chat!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lmao at getting upset about frame rate and then revealing u dont notice it :greencube:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

It's decidedly worse in handheld mode lol. Free your mind from reading about this bullshit and just play the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Stux posted:

lmao at getting upset about frame rate and then revealing u dont notice it :greencube:

Probably because it's decently stable/at 60 most of the time.

The real issue is when you get under 30 FPS which is pretty common with a lot of switch games

American McGay posted:

It's decidedly worse in handheld mode lol. Free your mind from reading about this bullshit and just play the games.

Totally cool if you're not interested, but this is fun/interesting for a lot of people. One of my favorite things to do is to optimize my steam Deck games for Max performance/ battery trade off before moving on to the next one

The technical parts of gaming are fun and cool and so is tinkering