Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

YeahTubaMike posted:

The worst part of this is not having any excuse to smoke weed and/or eat edibles on weekdays. :smith:

Weekdays are a perfectly good reason for weed

My period has been spotting old gross blood and some clear discharge for about a week, it's annoying. I'm pretty sure it's building up to a crippling, clot-filled nightmare, I just hope it holds off until after Halloween. I don't have any major plans, I just love Halloween. Dressing up and handing out candy is the best kind of good, clean fun. I'm going to be a jellyfish again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I hate the first 2 days of my period when its just like - im going to purge all the poo poo from your body and its going to feel like you are never going to stop making GBS threads.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I hate it when peak flow kicks off at night. I've kind of gotten used to a pattern where day 1 is all mild and mellow, so if it hits late in the day, I can get through the night without a complete replacement of tampon + pad, but last night decided to go ALL IN at 2 a.m.
It super-sucks to be half asleep and have to decide if you'll be OK til dawn, or you should really get up and do a full reset in the small hours.
Even worse if I snooze and wake half an hour later to find that I have a hell of a lot more cleaning up to do.
Periods suck but I bet menopause is gonna be even more obnoxious, just to make some kind of dumb point.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pookah posted:

I hate it when peak flow kicks off at night. I've kind of gotten used to a pattern where day 1 is all mild and mellow, so if it hits late in the day, I can get through the night without a complete replacement of tampon + pad, but last night decided to go ALL IN at 2 a.m.
It super-sucks to be half asleep and have to decide if you'll be OK til dawn, or you should really get up and do a full reset in the small hours.
Even worse if I snooze and wake half an hour later to find that I have a hell of a lot more cleaning up to do.
Periods suck but I bet menopause is gonna be even more obnoxious, just to make some kind of dumb point.

New and exciting varieties of obnoxious! And mine is honestly pretty mild.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

silicone thrills posted:

I hate the first 2 days of my period when its just like - im going to purge all the poo poo from your body and its going to feel like you are never going to stop making GBS threads.

The other day -- day 2 -- I woke up and farted, and like 100 liters of blood poured out of my body, up my asscrack, onto my PJ pants, and it almost seemed like I had my entire period on the spot. The first two days are the doomsdays.

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

Almost cried over some absolute bullshit today and was really confused what was wrong with me until I realised I'm in the PMS stage. Hate to see it.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Would there be any interest if I made a more generalized women's chat thread in GBS? I know there used to be a Lady's Chat Thread but I haven't seen it in ages. Sometimes I want to talk about things like cute bakeware and skin care and how much I loving hate fashion now and that's all beyond the scope of this thread. I particularly would like Teen Witch's blessing since she started this thread and I wouldn't want to steal her crampy thunder.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

YeahTubaMike posted:

The other day -- day 2 -- I woke up and farted, and like 100 liters of blood poured out of my body, up my asscrack, onto my PJ pants, and it almost seemed like I had my entire period on the spot. The first two days are the doomsdays.

The Ominous Awakening is the most absolute bullshit thing.
You wake up and realize you've no idea what the actual period situation is, but you also know that if you sit up normally and swing your legs out of the bed, if you have a big leakage situation, you are going to have a massive mess, so you sort of roll awkwardly to the edge of the bed and try to get upright without sitting directly on your rear end and thus making a big old mess.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Would there be any interest if I made a more generalized women's chat thread in GBS? I know there used to be a Lady's Chat Thread but I haven't seen it in ages. Sometimes I want to talk about things like cute bakeware and skin care and how much I loving hate fashion now and that's all beyond the scope of this thread. I particularly would like Teen Witch's blessing since she started this thread and I wouldn't want to steal her crampy thunder.

The chat thread is in CCC and is very slow on updates.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I'd post in it. There's also a ladychat discord where we discuss those things!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pookah posted:

You wake up and realize you've no idea what the actual period situation is, but you also know that if you sit up normally and swing your legs out of the bed, if you have a big leakage situation, you are going to have a massive mess, so you sort of roll awkwardly to the edge of the bed and try to get upright without sitting directly on your rear end and thus making a big old mess.

God yes this is the struggle.
I did this today, got to the bathroom, everything spotless. Huh. Maybe I-- *wipe* oh no, no there you are, great, hi

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pookah posted:

Ah yes, the slow-motion diagonal roll.

HopperUK posted:

God yes this is the struggle.
I did this today, got to the bathroom, everything spotless. Huh. Maybe I-- *wipe* oh no, no there you are, great, hi

It's weird. Overnight pads DO exist, and we would definitely be worse off without them, but sometimes it seems like when periods come out, they manage to avoid them altogether. It pours out underneath the pad, above it, below it, all over the drat place.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Period was over a week ago, all fine and good.
Random spotting and bonus cramps today :mad:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Just an FYI

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/article/covid-19-can-interfere-with-your-period-in-many-ways-heres-how

It's finally been accepted that both having COVID and getting the vaccine gently caress with your period.

quote:

COVID-19 can interfere with your period in many ways. Here's how.
Physicians failed to warn women about the expected temporary disruptions to their periods after the vaccine, and the more significant issues after a severe bout of COVID-19.
(..)
From the beginning of the pandemic, women worldwide began noticing changes to their menstrual cycles. In some cases, this happened after contracting the virus; in others, after receiving a vaccine. With so many women recording their cycles in period-tracking apps, researchers have been able to more easily document the phenomenon.
(..)
“When COVID started we were worried about people dying, so other things were overlooked,” admits Hugh Taylor, chair of obstetrics and gynecology at Yale Medicine. In retrospect, Taylor says, women should have been alerted to this possibility. “We see irregular menstrual cycles with other acute infections, so it isn’t surprising it happens here.”

Poor messaging
Without research or reassurance from physicians, women were alarmed by the deviations in their periods, Taylor says, and for good reason: “We’ve been warning people for years that changes in a period might be a symptom of a hormonal imbalance, or even cancer.”

When girls and women noticed unexpected shifts in their cycle after receiving a COVID shot, some second-guessed their decision to get a vaccine, says Candace Tingen, a program director at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, which has awarded $1.67 million to five research institutions to study the issue.

Tingen points out that her institute has long emphasized the importance of menstrual cycles to health. “We talk about it as a fifth vital sign,” she says (the other four being body temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respiration).

Most concerning to younger women was whether these changes could reduce fertility, Taylor says. It wasn’t until January that a study of 2,000 American couples published in the American Journal of Epidemiology resolved the question. Women trying to conceive who’d had the virus saw no decrease in fertility. Similarly, the COVID shot had no impact on conception rates.

Both virus and vaccine may temporarily alter menstruation
Scientists are still figuring out how many women have seen their menstrual cycles change, but it’s clear the numbers are substantial. In a study of 127 women of childbearing-age in Arizona who had contracted COVID, 16 percent reported some alteration; most common were irregular cycles or longer gaps between bleeds. These shifts were more likely in those whose infection involved more symptoms or was more severe (but not to the point of hospitalization).

In this study, women also had increases in the premenstrual syndrome symptoms of mood changes and fatigue. “We think of the menstrual period as an acute event that occurs for a few days, but hormones are changing throughout the entire cycle,” explains Leslie Farland, an epidemiology professor at the University of Arizona and the study’s principal investigator.

Researchers in other countries report even greater percentages of women suffered changes to their periods after contracting COVID. A United Kingdom survey found nearly half the women reported alterations, primarily in cycle length and increased PMS, as did 47 percent of women from Jordan and Iraq, according to another study from the Middle East.

A study on the vaccine’s effect funded by the National Institutes of Health published in January tracked 4,000 women from the U.S. who used one period tracking app. It found cycles shifted after the first shot, but only by an average of less than a day. Those whose second shot fell in the same cycle shifted by about two days, though in either case the length of bleeding wasn’t altered, says Alison Edelman, an obstetrician and gynecologist at Oregon Health and Science University and the study’s principal investigator. A second study by Edelman, of nearly 20,000 women in North America and Europe using the same app reported similar findings in September.

These slight changes occurred with all brands of the vaccines, and in most cases, they disappeared the following cycle. Still, 10 percent of the women saw their period shift by more than a week after either dose. However, these women were also back to normal soon after.

How does coronavirus change a period?
Exactly how the coronavirus or vaccine affects the menstrual cycle isn’t clear.

One hypothesis posits that COVID-19 may affect what’s known as the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis. To begin each monthly cycle, the hypothalamus gland signals the pituitary gland to secrete two hormones that together release an egg from the ovaries.

It’s possible the coronavirus affects the hypothalamus directly, Taylor says, but the body may also proactively decrease the activity of these glands if the virus is detected. “This has evolutionary advantages, because you don’t want to get pregnant when you’re fighting off a physical stressor, which could be an illness or malnutrition or the like,” he explains.

Alternatively, the immune system engaged in fighting the virus could alter the normal inflammatory response of the uterine lining (endometrium) during the cycle, researchers recently suggested in the International Journal of Epidemiology. This may be why people who experienced a more intense bout of COVID—indicating a higher viral load and more immune activity—have higher rates of menstrual changes, as the University of Arizona study found.

That was the case for Annette Gillaspie, a 41-year-old registered nurse in Hillsboro, Oregon, who contracted COVID and was extremely ill for more than two weeks. She now has long COVID symptoms, including a fluctuating heart rate and fatigue so extreme a shower can send her to bed for days. Her periods are so unusually long and heavy—gushing for almost two weeks some months—that Gillaspie had a hormonal intrauterine device inserted. So far, it hasn’t reduced her bleeding, and if she doesn’t improve within a few months, she’ll likely have a hysterectomy.

Vaccines trigger more minor shifts
Vaccines trigger the body’s immune system response, albeit a smaller one than the disease, so the same mechanisms could be involved in their temporary menstrual cycle disruptions, Tingen says.

Disseminating this reassuring information to women so they know to expect this possible side effect is an important public health task, Tingen says.

Anyone whose cycle remains significantly altered for several months, however, should check with their healthcare provider, Taylor says. “My suspicion is that people on the cusp of a medical condition—thyroid abnormalities, hormonal irregularities, bleeding from fibroids—might be pushed over the edge” by the coronavirus or COVID vaccine.

Edelman hopes this will be a teaching moment for her profession. “Menstrual health has been woefully understudied, not just in vaccine trials but in almost every area of research,” she says. “Yet half the population will, does, or has menstruated, and this routine biological function has meaning for the individual and for science.”

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 28, 2022

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I just got my booster I wonder if that's gonna jam everything up again.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Just one long continuous cramp. Cool.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
drat you, paywall!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

YeahTubaMike posted:

drat you, paywall!

Sorry. Added in the article.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

silicone thrills posted:

Sorry. Added in the article.

Thank you :3:

quote:

Most concerning to younger women was whether these changes could reduce fertility, Taylor says. It wasn’t until January that a study of 2,000 American couples published in the American Journal of Epidemiology resolved the question. Women trying to conceive who’d had the virus saw no decrease in fertility. Similarly, the COVID shot had no impact on conception rates.

I have still (as far as I know anyway) never had COVID, but I might go around licking subway poles if it meant free permanent birth control.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Period was done about 2 days ago, all things going okay, and then today for no reason it was like someone broke the spigot in my eyes and I just started crying at work. At least I was alone in my delivery van, and not in front of customers, but holy crap I just couldn't stop. Wonder how much the camera picked up.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'd get covid 50 times in a row if it'd sterilize me. Seems to be easier than finding a surgeon to remove my fallopian tubes

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Period was done about 2 days ago, all things going okay, and then today for no reason it was like someone broke the spigot in my eyes and I just started crying at work. At least I was alone in my delivery van, and not in front of customers, but holy crap I just couldn't stop. Wonder how much the camera picked up.

aahhhh oh no, that sucks. Did you feel any better afterwards?

I knew this period was coming, at least, because I spent all of Wednesday evening in an absolute loving *rage* about nothing at all. Like all of us I have reasons to be angry but this was pure undirected fury. I felt like I could shoot laser beams out of my eyes. Also my ADHD meds were hardly working so there was that little flag up too

I feel great today. I mean, gross and uncomfortable and achy and thirsty, but cheerful.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's weird. Overnight pads DO exist, and we would definitely be worse off without them, but sometimes it seems like when periods come out, they manage to avoid them altogether. It pours out underneath the pad, above it, below it, all over the drat place.

I've mentioned this before, but the best overnight pad is depends underwear diaper things. "Always" makes a similar product if incontinence branding squicks you out. I like the incontinence ones because they are designed to absorb up to 2 cups of urine virtually instantly. Do your worst, uterus, you've got nothing compared to the amount of liquid bladder can pump out.

They aren't great for during the day because if you actually let it absorb cups of liquid it will get heavy and sag and nobody wants that. But they are fantastic for saving your sheets from overnight leaks.

Note: It does not eliminate the carnage, merely contain it. The sentient menstrual fluid trying to escape it's absorbent prison will run all up and down your crack looking for a way out. So your sheets are clean, but when you go to take your morning pee you can leave unexpected bloody butt prints on the toilet seat. Still, having a shower first thing in the morning is easier than washing sheets first thing in the morning so it's worth it to me.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'd get covid 50 times in a row if it'd sterilize me. Seems to be easier than finding a surgeon to remove my fallopian tubes

I actually just had an amazing conversation this week with a surgeon re: sterilization. I think the soonest it can happen is next year but she really helped me solidify this decision to boot menstruation and fertility. If you’re in the MO area I could recommend her to you!

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I'd post in it. I know I've had a few things I'd post here, but they weren't really period related, so I didn't even though I thought they may be of interest.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Ah yes, the slow-motion diagonal roll.

I sleep like poo poo for the first 2 or 3 days of my period because of worry that my period will once again magically escape both my cup and my pad while I'm asleep. :mad:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

I actually just had an amazing conversation this week with a surgeon re: sterilization. I think the soonest it can happen is next year but she really helped me solidify this decision to boot menstruation and fertility. If you’re in the MO area I could recommend her to you!

mo area mo problems (except for sterilization apparently)
but alas, no, poor overburdened Toronto, thank you though :) and i'm happy for you! i hope the surgery goes smoothly

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pinus Porcus posted:

I'd post in it. I know I've had a few things I'd post here, but they weren't really period related, so I didn't even though I thought they may be of interest.

I sleep like poo poo for the first 2 or 3 days of my period because of worry that my period will once again magically escape both my cup and my pad while I'm asleep. :mad:

I totally understand the worry. All I can suggest is to become middle-aged and stop giving a single gently caress because ugggghhh whatever.

Everyone else is staying elsewhere after today so I can have a few days to slouch grumpily around the house like a blood goblin.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

not a period-haver, and I'm sure this was very traumatic for you, but this made me laugh so hard I sneezed milk into my cereal

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Would there be any interest if I made a more generalized women's chat thread in GBS?

I would post in it, for sure

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh yeah here come the mood swings. No one likes me. My boyfriend doesn’t like me. Everything sucks. I’m also so tired.

It’s also day 26 of my cycle.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Oh I've got my most classic pms symptom (up at 4:30 am with restless leg syndrome) perhaps my body has decided to not need meds this month??

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
IUD update: stopped spotting but I still feel like the discharge is enough that I have to wear some kind of thin pad or panty liner. I don't know that that's related to the iud though because some days I would have issues with it before the iud was put in. Maybe the spotting just made me more paranoid about it. Anyway my last period was just slight spotting. I hope it goes away completely that would be sweet. I stopped menstruating when I was on lo loestrin so fingers crossed.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I didn't have a period for like 2 years when my pcos was completely untreated and it eventually caused further complications down the line but at the time it was beautiful

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
F you period poops :argh:. Hopefully these days are numbered. So uncomfortable and sweaty and moody whyyyyy

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pyrtanis posted:

I had a fluid filled cyst that made me go to the ER when I was 19, the rear end in a top hat male ER doctor palpated so deeply I was almost screaming and then surprise and shock the CT report stated there was free fluid around the ovary, thanks for forcefully rupturing my cyst, glad it didn't take the ovary with it

prick

Holy cow this sounds miserable. I'm glad you're ok... I hope.

For some reason this made me squeeze my knees together hard in sympathy pain for you.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pyrtanis posted:

I get unreasonable rage at everything and also anxiety, yes. I've been on this rodeo for YEARS and I still get surprised by that bitch rolling into twat town. high five wipe clarity buddy

I have this but slightly modified.

I'm perfectly fine, happy and smiling. Then suddenly something inconvenient happens that I may normally shrug off occurs, and I find myself in anger fit.

Usually this coincides with an uncanny lust for dairy products and they taste oh so smooth and creamy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Would post if I can find it or you link it here.

coronatae posted:

I'd post in it. There's also a ladychat discord where we discuss those things!

Not sure how to find this either.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm loving furious about nothing and I can't sleep!!!! Argagdhagsjkgjsn

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I had a pelvic CT last week, it was...interesting. I had to show up early and chug a water bottle of fruit punch-flavor barium, which had a hell of a laxative effect later on. And they warned me what it would feel like when they did the IV contrast but holy hell it really does feel like you're peeing yourself right there on the scan table.

They haven't followed up with me yet and I'm getting anxious :sigh: I don't like all the mystery pains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I still think back to the time where I was wearing a pad and undies but no shorts and somehow my period found the small gap and projectiled three feet on the carpet. I'm amazed by the utter power of Resolve carpet cleaner in getting rid of that stain.