Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the PC port is a disaster. Unless they fixed it up in any fashion over the years it still shows generic "1 2 3 4" controller buttons for everything even when using m/kb, crashes abound and terrible audio glitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Evil Kit posted:

Just started up Evil Within 2 last night and other than quitting out during the intro bit right before hitting the save point to do something else and having to replay the whole intro sequence... had a pretty good time so far.

Only a couple of questions for things I'm curious about that aren't immediately obvious:

1. Do the melee damage upgrades affect sneak attacks, or are sneak attacks just static amounts of damage you can't change? Basically are the melee upgrades actually worth it.

2. Seems like the game showers you in weapon parts a bit, can you fully upgrade everything or do you need to favor a few weapons if you want the EX upgrades?

Not really a scary game tbh, but it's got some solid set pieces so far and even forced sneaking bits haven't felt too bad at all.

1) Melee damage boosts do not affect sneak attacks, no. It's dumb. I wouldn't really recommend melee upgrade in NG.

2) You won't be able to upgrade everything fully from my experience. I'd prioritize damage then reload time, if I remember upgrade paths correctly.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Captain Hygiene posted:

:tipshat: Good to know, not like I don't have a ton of other games to get through anyway.

Just get The Room on GOG or get SH 2 and the enhancement mod from Abandon Ware

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

glitchwraith posted:

As preparation for Silent Hill Townfall, I'm going to check out NoCodes other two games, Observation and Untold Tales. The Steam Bundle for both is on sale for only $16, which seems like a pretty good deal.

Stories Untold, you mean. As a fan of interactive fiction, I thought it was pretty good, sometimes great. It sometimes feels like it's going to pull some "i'm gonna scare you from out here in the margins of the screen while you're busy reading the poo poo in the center lol, suckit nerd" jumpscares but I don't think it ever really does, at least not more than once or outside the final climax of a story. A few of the stories don't unnerve as effectively with their writing as they do with their "atmosphere," which is a shame because there's some incredibly horrific IF out there that pulls it off without visuals or sound whatsoever. I would imagine someone who isn't experienced with horror IF would have a blast with it so long as they don't mind reading.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pyrolocutus posted:

1) Melee damage boosts do not affect sneak attacks, no. It's dumb. I wouldn't really recommend melee upgrade in NG.

2) You won't be able to upgrade everything fully from my experience. I'd prioritize damage then reload time, if I remember upgrade paths correctly.

boo, I had a suspicion this would be the case. Thanks for answering.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I wasn't really ready for exactly how Silent Hill Signalis is. You got the cut to blood red save screens, you got the silent hill stomp, you got jumping down holes, you even got crawling through a tunnel to not-The Room

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

It's gonna be storming heavy all day tomorrow and I am stoked to pretend to be working while I drink cocoa and get spooked by Signalis. It looks like extremely my poo poo and I'm pretty hype.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
just finished The Dark Pictures: Little Hope, which I had been enjoying despite some dumb tropes for most of its running time, and jesus loving christ what the gently caress is that twist ending? Incredible job of making GBS threads the bed, Supermassive

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yeah that ending of little hope is so bad, i assume it's the writers just wanting to get their own silent hill out asap. angela loving rules though

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Plowing through Haunting Ground finally. It owns but the second stalker can eat my cornhole.

Any thoughts on 2Dark?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Captain Hygiene posted:

:tipshat: Good to know, not like I don't have a ton of other games to get through anyway.

This LP is the best way to experience SH: Homecoming- it's in many respects the best informative LP I've seen anywhere. Regrettably the LP heavily integrated youtube's embedded annotation link features, which youtube then yanked out if its system awhile later, but it's mostly good about providing timestamps you can use to the same effect (or you can watch videos all the way through). If you really want, you can install a browser plugin that reactivates the cut system- I think this link gives you a good chrome one.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 28, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The Saddest Rhino posted:

yeah that ending of little hope is so bad, i assume it's the writers just wanting to get their own silent hill out asap. angela loving rules though

Little Hope is the final result from when Konami was taking proposals for new Silent Hill games. When Konami said no, Suppermassive did some story editing and that's what we got.

According to Dusk Golem at least, but poo poo he was right about everything else

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lol Konami made the right call

rox
Sep 7, 2016

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Little Hope is the final result from when Konami was taking proposals for new Silent Hill games. When Konami said no, Suppermassive did some story editing and that's what we got.

According to Dusk Golem at least, but poo poo he was right about everything else

lmao that makes so much sense

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
apparently until dawn had a direct prequel?? wtf

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I'm just upset that the next dark pictures anthology is mid November and not in time for Halloween :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I'm just upset that the next dark pictures anthology is mid November and not in time for Halloween :(

Well, maybe it'll involve a demon turkey at least.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

apparently until dawn had a direct prequel?? wtf

Do you mean the shooter? I didn't think that was a prequel, just a same universe thing.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
After the quipfest of The Quarry, I will no longer be experiencing hype for Supermassive titles.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Disposable Scud posted:

After the quipfest of The Quarry, I will no longer be experiencing hype for Supermassive titles.

Pop, pop, peanut butter butter pops

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If the next Supermassive game doesn't at least let you skip cutscenes you've already seen, I'm gonna steal all the chairs out of their office

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CuddleCryptid posted:

Do you mean the shooter? I didn't think that was a prequel, just a same universe thing.

Nah there was one called The Inpatient set at the sanitarium. It was not good.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Until Dawn Rush of Blood was a pretty fun VR rail shooter. Story made no sense but the shooting was good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ah I didn't know Impatient was a prequel, I thought it was just the studio being wendigo crazy again

Disposable Scud posted:

But it has *scans list of B list celebrities from 10 years ago* Drake and Josh in it!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Amnesia Rebirth is fun enough and has a strong hook, but leans a little far into the explanatory for me

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ah I didn't know Impatient was a prequel, I thought it was just the studio being wendigo crazy again

But it has *scans list of B list celebrities from 10 years ago* Drake and Josh in it!

Hey! Modern Family didn't end that long ago!

E: you almost gave me a heart attack, two years

Real talk I loved the quarry, but I am that market Suppermassive caters to.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Case of the Golden Idol is a definite recommend for your Obra Dinn fix. The next worthy Horror Detective game.

11 chapters full of murder set in the late eighteenth century for you to solve. It's got conspiracies, politics, family-squabbles, and lumpy English men. If you were a kid in the 90's you might have read those Usborne Puzzle adventures like Agent Arthur, Vanishing Village, and Murder on the Midnight Plane. This is the same formula but much more gruesome and morbid, and without any inane code-breaking puzzles.

The first half of every chapter has you finding every possible clue. The real challenge is then slotting the pieces together.

The best part is that you can turn on the feature that tells you if are missing any clues in a scene, so there's no pixel-hunting either.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Amnesia Rebirth is fun enough and has a strong hook, but leans a little far into the explanatory for me

horror series have this unfortunate tendency to start getting into the weeds of their own deep lore the longer they run, and amnesia sadly doesn't seem to have avoided it

for as messy and overwrought as a machine for pigs was, i appreciated that its only connection to amnesia 1 was, "i found this weird loving orb and had a bad time," and only a little else besides

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Case of the Golden Idol is a definite recommend for your Obra Dinn fix. The next worthy Horror Detective game.

Ooh, excellent! Thank you for sharing this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Case of the Golden Idol looks fantastic, I think I'll have to get that soon.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
While we're talking Supermassive, if there are any other games with solid co op horror experiences please tell me about them. That's the biggest appeal for my husband and I.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dahlia seems like a bad mom

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I wouldn't say Case of the Golden Idol is much of a horror game, but it IS very, very good, so get it anyway.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Hey man, I'm just forever chasing the Obra Dinn dragon. :smith:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Took down the first of the Silent Hills. Pretty cool game as a whole. It's use of dynamism in the camera angles really set it apart from a lot of the other fixed camera angle games of back in those days, even if those also have their charm. The spiral staircase, the first alley, and the part in Nowhere where the camera is absolutely claustrophobic with how close it is to Harry. I've really come to appreciate media that has strong direction instead of the blandness that's so common in the medium. Gameplay wise the game is alright, most of the puzzles were pretty fun even if some were a bit simple. Zodiac puzzle took me awhile, I kept thinking it was some weird substitution cypher or something. Then I had to look up the drat puzzle with the paintings holding the patterns because I straight up forgot that Camera's have flash. I was sitting there looking for a light switch and trying to use the flash light. As a whole though they all seemed reasonable. The fighting is pretty bad. Either it's zero challenge with one dude or a nightmare with more than one. Melee feels bad even if it's pretty effective once you get the pipe and hammer. Gunplay just feels jank. Bosses are awful, The Moth and Final boss I couldn't even see them on the screen. Cybil was an interesting fight even if the audio cue didn't give you quite enough time to run before she gunned you. I listened to a WOFF a long time ago and knew you needed the red liquid, but not how to get it or where. Luckily I found the bottle and put the pieces together with the liquid in Kaufmann's office, but I would've never thought to USE it on her if not for pod. I'm guessing the intention was you'd play the game, see Kaufmann using it on Alessa and then connect the dots to save Cybil. Thematically the game is oozing with weirdness and tension, but a lot of it feels disjointed and not in a dream logic way. I watched a Polish movie recently called The Hourglass Sanitarium that really nailed it, in dream logic you kind of always just go with the flow right. It's like a film with pure nonsense but it's all done in one take so it has an implied cohesiveness. This game has a lot of Cuts between the scenes that make parts of it feel non cohesive.Waking up at the hospital over and over etc. As a whole though, i'd recommend it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Signalis is pretty aces and scratching that creepy survival horror itch so far. My only real gripe is how fiddly it can sometimes be to interact with something using the mouse.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gaius Marius posted:

Took down the first of the Silent Hills. Pretty cool game as a whole. It's use of dynamism in the camera angles really set it apart from a lot of the other fixed camera angle games of back in those days, even if those also have their charm. The spiral staircase, the first alley, and the part in Nowhere where the camera is absolutely claustrophobic with how close it is to Harry. I've really come to appreciate media that has strong direction instead of the blandness that's so common in the medium. Gameplay wise the game is alright, most of the puzzles were pretty fun even if some were a bit simple. Zodiac puzzle took me awhile, I kept thinking it was some weird substitution cypher or something. Then I had to look up the drat puzzle with the paintings holding the patterns because I straight up forgot that Camera's have flash. I was sitting there looking for a light switch and trying to use the flash light. As a whole though they all seemed reasonable. The fighting is pretty bad. Either it's zero challenge with one dude or a nightmare with more than one. Melee feels bad even if it's pretty effective once you get the pipe and hammer. Gunplay just feels jank. Bosses are awful, The Moth and Final boss I couldn't even see them on the screen. Cybil was an interesting fight even if the audio cue didn't give you quite enough time to run before she gunned you. I listened to a WOFF a long time ago and knew you needed the red liquid, but not how to get it or where. Luckily I found the bottle and put the pieces together with the liquid in Kaufmann's office, but I would've never thought to USE it on her if not for pod. I'm guessing the intention was you'd play the game, see Kaufmann using it on Alessa and then connect the dots to save Cybil. Thematically the game is oozing with weirdness and tension, but a lot of it feels disjointed and not in a dream logic way. I watched a Polish movie recently called The Hourglass Sanitarium that really nailed it, in dream logic you kind of always just go with the flow right. It's like a film with pure nonsense but it's all done in one take so it has an implied cohesiveness. This game has a lot of Cuts between the scenes that make parts of it feel non cohesive.Waking up at the hospital over and over etc. As a whole though, i'd recommend it.

Aw shoot, I forgot at least the earlier games had some kind of fixed camera. I don't think I can go back to that, even if it's less restrictive than your typical early Resident Evils :/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah it takes place at the mental hospital that is visited in Until Dawn

I thought it was fine? Like, certainly not a game as good as Until Dawn in any department, but it was a spooky VR game that looked decent and was interesting to experience.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Aw shoot, I forgot at least the earlier games had some kind of fixed camera. I don't think I can go back to that, even if it's less restrictive than your typical early Resident Evils :/

There's a quasi-first person camera mode (extremely tight over-the-shoulder, technically) built into the game actually, if tank controls are a dealbreaker. Normally you have to beat the game to access it, but I imagine anyone playing the game in the current era would probably have some avenue for getting around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oh hey The Quarry has a 50's outfits dlc out for free until Nov 1st. Like 80's slashers, the devs paid a lot of homage to 50's creature features, so I think it's a cool little bonus!