Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

jetz0r posted:

crossovers are lifted and enlarged hatchbacks

A Toyota Corolla hatchback has 88.6 sqft of passenger volume, the crossover has 88.4. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

eXXon posted:

Yeah, then you get "car plows into children's birthday party" instead, which surely hasn't already happened:

The sidewalk is at least double wide, how the gently caress did he manage to plow straight into the store?? Just mashing the gas from the parking lot across the street?
If you read the article, it clearly states it was the car that did this. Where are you getting all of this stuff about a driver being responsible?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

legit question for americans, can you rig up a backwards facing assault rifle and not break any laws?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

when I go, especially if it's because a car driver murdered me on my bike, I'd like my remains to go to the Crematorium in one of these

https://twitter.com/americanfietser/status/1585997223841628161

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cool av posted:

if you wanna get shots fired into your car for making the guy behind you slow down, yeah

October 24, 2022 at 7:39 pm EDT
TURTLE CREEK, Pa. — A Monroeville man was arrested for an alleged shooting during a road rage incident Sunday.

Matthew Alfaro, 23, is behind bars. Alfaro was charged with several crimes including two counts of felony aggravated assault, one count of felony carrying a firearm without a license and reckless endangerment.

Police say this started as a road rage incident on Monroeville Boulevard, right outside of the Monroeville Police Department. The victim said he accidentally cut off Alfaro, who was in a silver Chevy Malibu, just before 5 p.m. on Sunday. He says Alfaro followed him and gestured for him to pull over. The victim said he thought he lost the silver car, but it reappeared and he “heard a loud popping sound and felt a sharp burning pain on the right side of his back.”

The victim raced to the nearby Turtle Creek Police Department where he went inside and told officers he had been shot. The victim was rushed to Forbes. The bullet is still lodged in his back. According to court documents, doctors “did not want to perform surgery due to more damage possibly being done to him.”

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
another "oops i hit and run murdered someone" and practically no sentence

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/everett-man-convicted-of-fatal-hit-and-run-gets-sentence-waiver/

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JFC:

quote:

Last month, a jury convicted Jesse Thayer, 39, of a hit-and-run fatality, a nonviolent felony, in the death of Heidi Allen after a trial in Snohomish County Superior Court.

The Everett officer returned and identified the woman as Allen. She died at the scene. It appeared she had been dragged over 200 feet underneath a car, tearing off her right boot and leaving it in the street, the charges said.

About a week later, an Everett detective was driving through the north Everett neighborhood where Allen died. He found a Ford Fusion parked about a block away from the crash site. The Fusion’s grill was pushed inward, suggesting the car had crashed into something low to the ground at a slow speed. The undercarriage’s dirt and grease had been wiped off in spots, which could happen if a body had been dragged underneath the car.

As the detective inspected the Fusion, the defendant came out of a nearby home. Thayer reported he was the car’s owner. He had heard about the crash with the pedestrian. He told the detective he’d driven home from Legion Memorial Golf Course around 9 p.m. the night of the crash and driven over what he thought was garbage.

In a recorded police interview, Thayer told investigators he wanted to catch whoever was responsible for killing Allen. He said if he did hit a person, it wasn’t an “alive, moving person,” according to court papers. He reported hearing a thump after running over the garbage he described as a backpack and blanket.

I like how the article faithfully reports everything this psycho said but not any of the actual facts. In the rarest of cases where a cop did actual police work and found the suspect, did they just forget to determine whether she was alive and standing in the road before he hit her or???

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Oct 28, 2022

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

repeal the Federal minimum sentence guidelines for crack cocaine possession and replace them with vehicular manslaughter / assault minimum sentences. Judges can't be trusted

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Driver believes pedestrians are literal garbage, judge agrees.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
the true horror of halloween is the continued existence of the personal automobile

Washington Post - Here’s why Halloween is the deadliest day of the year for child pedestrians posted:

It’s almost Halloween, which means that law enforcement agencies around the country are warning parents about the possibility of finding marijuana candy in their children’s trick-or-treat buckets.

But like poison and razor blades, Halloween pot candy is largely a myth. The real threat to kids on Oct. 31 is much more mundane: traffic. Children are three times more likely to be struck and killed by a car on the holiday than any other day of the year, according to the latest federal highway safety data.

A Washington Post analysis found that 54 pedestrians younger than 18 were struck and killed by an automobile on Halloween from 2004 through 2018. That compares with 16 on a typical day.

In absolute terms, the likelihood of a child being killed by a car on Halloween is still extremely low, given the hundreds of millions of trick-or-treaters who went out during the time period analyzed. But the holiday nonetheless stands out sharply when charted against every other day.

Roads have also become more dangerous for pedestrians in the past decade. In fact, more pedestrians and cyclists were fatally struck by cars in 2018 than any other year since 1990, federal highway authorities recently warned. Adjusting for total vehicle miles traveled, the rate of pedestrian fatalities has increased by 33 percent since 2009. Pedestrians now account for 17 percent of all traffic deaths.

Experts say these numbers are influenced, in part, by the growing number of people biking and walking to work, as well as deficiencies in public policy and city planning. For decades, roadways have been designed with driver safety in mind, rather than walkers or cyclists.

Those safety deficiencies are most obvious on Halloween, a day when millions of additional pedestrians take to the streets during the twilight hours, historically the most dangerous time of day for pedestrians. The majority of those trick-or-treaters are children, the smallest of whom can be harder for drivers to spot from the windows of SUVs.

A study released earlier this year in JAMA Pediatrics found that children ages 4 to 8 were about 10 times more likely to be killed in the evening on Halloween than they were during other autumn evenings. The study found that the 6 p.m. hour — a confluence of rush hour and sunset in many parts of the country — was the deadliest time for trick-or-treaters to be on the road.

While Halloween safety tips tend to focus on the behavior of individual trick-or-treaters, the authors of the JAMA Pediatrics study emphasize instead the importance of better highway policy and construction. Halloween pedestrian deaths “highlight deficiencies of the built environment (e.g., lack of sidewalks, unsafe street crossings), shortcomings in public policy (e.g., insufficient space for play), and failures in traffic control (e.g., excessive speed),” they write.

Rather than focus on Halloween-specific safety recommendations, such as the use of reflective tape on costumes, the researchers write that “year-round application of effective traffic safety interventions will foster much greater progress toward eliminating pedestrian fatalities altogether.”

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
thread credo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46bM3uDhz-k

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

iirc she was actually in double digits, right? like 13x crashes?

being a broken record here but incidents like that are so revealing. we have this whole drivers license thing where you're supposed to prove that you're able to handle the responsibilities of using a piece of heavy machinery in public, but there's absolutely no mechanism for permanently rescinding your license after you prove that you aren't actually handling those responsibilities

like you get in trouble for driving without a license, because we can all agree that driving is a serious responsibility. but once you have a license, it's no longer a serious responsibility, it's something you can gently caress up over and over and over again until you incinerate a bunch of people and a pregnant mother and the government is like "drat that's wild, maybe everyone should have been more careful or something. anyways she sure was a bad driver"

if she somehow gets a lawyer that gets her off the charges, is there anything that would even stop her from jumping right behind the wheel again? and shouldn't there be? shouldn't there have been after the first crash she caused?

agree

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

eXXon posted:

JFC:

I like how the article faithfully reports everything this psycho said but not any of the actual facts. In the rarest of cases where a cop did actual police work and found the suspect, did they just forget to determine whether she was alive and standing in the road before he hit her or???

https://vimeo.com/402282909

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://twitter.com/Amtrak/status/1586030573872726019?s=20&t=8bxz2owBr7NW5j8I0pY30A

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

So I literally only just learned that the US let auto manufacturers help write the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards. And they made it so fuel economy is judged relative to the footprint of the car. And that's why American cars have been getting bigger, because a larger car is considered to be more fuel efficient even if it burns more fuel than a smaller car because it only has to burn less fuel relative to its size. So just like kei cars only exist because of the Japanese government, the current glut of giant trucks and SUVs is because of the US government. People always try to judge these things like they are some essentialist part of American culture, but no, it's just lovely government policy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks, Obama

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the chicken tax is also a huge contributor to domestic cars getting larger

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Smythe posted:

the chicken tax is also a huge contributor to domestic cars getting larger

gonna start the conspiracy that JFK was assassinated by Ford because he didn't want to do the chicken tax

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think cafe is part of it, but they'd still be making small cars if that was where the demand was. The giant SUVs of the aughts came before the current rules. I'm not sure how cafe relates to EVs either, which continue to be gigantic even though those particular fuel standards don't apply.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
CAFE existed since the 70s but was reformulated in the mid 2000s, in a bill signed by GWB

anyway you can read this article and wince at how little improvement in fuel economy was actually achieved over 3 decades

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_average_fuel_economy#Performance_in_practice

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The 2011 changes were the ones that created the footprint problem, I believe.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think cafe is part of it, but they'd still be making small cars if that was where the demand was.

Yeah, although i think in this case especially advertising helps determine what people demand, especially once insane trucks get metabolized into a culture war and masculinity marker. Once the 2011 changes create this loophole and manufacturers start flooding the market and the airwaves with trucks that weigh 9,000 lbs and a combination of exurbanites and chuds start viewing the purchase of said 9k lb truck as a cultural imperative, there's really only one way for this thing to go

some truck company said they design their vehicles to look intimidating and like it's "coming to get you" or something like that, a truly bizarre preference that they've trained their customers to want so that each family in some far-flung suburban sprawl area sees the family next to them buy a ten foot tall killdozer truck and resolves to be the first one on their block to buy the 11 foot edition

fake edit: lol here it is https://www.motorbiscuit.com/gmc-designer-caught-admitting-trucks-designed-deadly/

Apr 7, 2003

That’s covered in the book High and Mighty by Keith Bradsher, the guy who designed Chrysler’s trucks in the nineties would have focus groups lay down on their back in a dark room, and he would project designs onto the ceiling and ask which ones scared them the most.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That’s covered in the book High and Mighty by Keith Bradsher, the guy who designed Chrysler’s trucks in the nineties would have focus groups lay down on their back in a dark room, and he would project designs onto the ceiling and ask which ones scared them the most.

holy poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Smythe posted:

holy poo poo

It was super important that this system would prevail over any that didn't do this

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

some truck company said they design their vehicles to look intimidating and like it's "coming to get you" or something like that, a truly bizarre preference that they've trained their customers to want so that each family in some far-flung suburban sprawl area sees the family next to them buy a ten foot tall killdozer truck and resolves to be the first one on their block to buy the 11 foot edition

fake edit: lol here it is https://www.motorbiscuit.com/gmc-designer-caught-admitting-trucks-designed-deadly/
yup. it's probably the worst element of american car culture. there's a reason american's went on a spree calling prius drivers pussy f*****ts constantly in the mid 2000s.

even other cars like toyotas are doing it now too for same reason. its good for sales to the suburbanites

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

yup. it's probably the worst element of american car culture. there's a reason american's went on a spree calling prius drivers pussy f*****ts constantly in the mid 2000s.

even other cars like toyotas are doing it now too for same reason. its good for sales to the suburbanites

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Can't help but feel that this ties into suburbanites just constantly being scared all the time because all the media they consume is cop shows.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

this episode of the war on cars podcast has some choice quotes from car manufacturers trying to thread the needle between communicating that their products are designed to intimidate and be used dangerously, without explicitly saying it

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Can't help but feel that this ties into suburbanites just constantly being scared all the time because all the media they consume is cop shows.

honestly probably

ion is like, the copaganda channel, all copaganda shows 24/7. it's the only thing other than fox news that my boomer chud family will watch

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

context: london borough removing anti-car restrictions from outside a school

https://twitter.com/russellwarfield/status/1585634968339783680

Cars bad and all, but did no-one think of the, uh... asian men?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cool av posted:

if you wanna get shots fired into your car for making the guy behind you slow down, yeah

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

The ironing is delicious

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
goons are afraid of driving the speed limit bc they read an article about some dude getting shot in a car. Sad!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Horace posted:

Cars bad and all, but did no-one think of the, uh... asian men?

This attitude that it's some sort of attack on cars and drivers to block cars from a single street near a school is so infuriating. Cars are allocated an astronomical amount of space and then when you try to say "hey maybe this one spot should be pedestrian only but cars can still have literally every other road" it's like "WTF no you can't do that you monster!"

Should we mandate that people allow cars to drive through the middle of their houses as a shortcut because you never know, those cars might be driven by uber drivers in a big hurry struggling to put food on the table, and having to go all the way around the houses might be an excessive burden?

That's in addition to the general dumbness of the idea that you can't ban harmful things because it might affect people's income ("someone think about the poor asbestos companies!")

Also the kneejerk concern trolling for disabled people/poor people/POC to defend cars is really tiring (even though in reality these groups are disproportionately negatively affected by card dependence)

mystes has issued a correction as of 14:29 on Oct 29, 2022

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
https://twitter.com/WOODTV/status/1585060781099319297?s=20&t=g92yr4kmP2tcQUUA_sDmtQ

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

This attitude that it's some sort of attack on cars and drivers to block cars from a single street near a school is so infuriating. Cars are allocated an astronomical amount of space and then when you try to say "hey maybe this one spot should be pedestrian only but cars can still have literally every other road" it's like "WTF no you can't do that you monster!"

The city of Oxford is currently gearing up to implement 'traffic filters' :

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23079671.anger-travel-chief-announces-traffic-filters-going-happen-definitely-ahead-decision/

Oxford Mail posted:

Mr Enright explained in the Sunday Times that the heart of the traffic filters policy was to turn Oxford into "a 15-minute city" with local services within a small walking radius.

People can drive freely around their own neighbourhood and can apply for a permit to drive through the filters, and into other neighbourhoods, for up to 100 days per year. This equates to an average of two days per week.

The alternative is to drive out on to the ring road and then back in to the destination.

A maximum of three permits a household will be allowed where there are several adults with cars registered to the address.

Buses, coaches, taxis, delivery vans, HGVs, motorbikes and bikes are exempt and there are exceptions for blue badge holders and people with caring responsibilities

So all local trips are unaffected, you get 100 'free' cross-city trips per year and cross-city trips using the ring road and arterial roads are unaffected. And you can just not use a car.

But people are reacting to this like Oxford is implementing a ghetto system and they're being 'trapped in their neighbourhoods', or banging on about how this like the USSR and huffing about having their 'papers inspected' to go from Cowley to Littlemore. Just unhinged doom-mongering and rage that, as car users, they won't be able to go absolutely everywhere at a whim.

Because the idea of a 15-minute neighbourhood is basically a gulag...

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Yes, i can see now... Having everything within easy reach and not being choked by automobiles is exactly like building my dormitory out in the Kolyma winter...makes you think

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

me and the cyclist 20 meters infront almost got killed by an impatient driver. They flew past me dangerously close then had to slam on the brakes to not hit the person infront of me that was blocking them from swerving past a parked car.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My university town installed half-assed trial bike lanes (paint only, no physical separation whatsoever) on a side road that goes parallel to the busiest "main" street and is almost all SFH with generous offsets, driveways, lawns, etc. The only complaint I heard of was one old lady writing to one of the local newspapers that nobody reads to complain about the loss of street parking. Every drat house has a driveway and there's street parking on every cross and parallel street. Anyway, her voice was heard loud and clear because they ponied up the money to remove the paint and go back to even more useless sharrows.

The new mayor/council started re-paving another major cross street, which is a slow two-lane road that goes past the public library, a busy plaza (that used to be a surface parking lot :lol:), lots of shops, and has far more pedestrian traffic than vehicles. Last summer they removed the unnecessary street parking for outdoor dining and everyone liked it except for a handful of drivers who complained about having to take an extra 2 minutes to drive to one of three big fuckoff parking garages that are almost never full. One online shithead complained that not everyone is privileged enough to live within walking distance and so they should put the street parking back in for vague ~accessibility~ reasons (you can guess the vehicles here are ~70% SUVs, 10% Teslas, and the only older cars are owned by people who probably live in them and have to use the free parking at the YMCA).

Anyway, it says they're widening the sidewalk (about loving time) but they should just close the drat street entirely. How much nicer would it be as a tree-lined pedestrian boulevard? There's plenty of room for temporary or even permanent stalls/stands in the middle to set up a day/night market or whatever. Hell, I'd happily give up bike access for a mere 270m-long pedestrian-only stretch but I guess that's way too much to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The "anti-consumption" subreddit is hilariously pro-car, jfc