Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Does anyone have an issue with their Pixel Watch where when it's connected to your phone, the phone stops making notification noises? Like I'll get buzzed and chimed on the watch but not the phone. If I turn off the watch, my phone notifies again. Is there some setting I'm missing? It's a Pixel 6 Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

RevKrule posted:

Does anyone have an issue with their Pixel Watch where when it's connected to your phone, the phone stops making notification noises? Like I'll get buzzed and chimed on the watch but not the phone. If I turn off the watch, my phone notifies again. Is there some setting I'm missing? It's a Pixel 6 Pro.

It's a setting in the pixel watch app, I think under mute?

Edit: pixel watch app -> notifications -> mute notifications -> don't notify on phone while wearing watch

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rebus posted:

It's a setting in the pixel watch app, I think under mute?

Edit: pixel watch app -> notifications -> mute notifications -> don't notify on phone while wearing watch

OMG. Thank you. I don't know how I missed that setting.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

How's everyone's pixel watch battery life?

AOD off, "hey Google" off, LTE off, raise to wake on. Had a handful of notifications and installed one app update. 8 hours since I took it off charge and it's on 13%. Pretty loving useless, I think I'll be sending it back.

Rebus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 15, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Android Wear is just like android in that it does take upwards of a week for adaptive battery to kick in. Also, even with LTE off, LTE watches consume more power which is also another reason why I never recommend them.

It’ll get better, I’m just not sure by how much yet.

I was seeing about 10% per hour drain with AoD on which is better than what you were seeing there. It is quite a bit more than my GW5, but those also have dramatically larger batteries so it’s hard to gauge. 8 hours of sleep tracking consumed about 12% which is pretty on par with other smartwatches.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I only have experience with WearOS 2.0, but it seems to me that it does a bad job of letting you know what it's doing. I have the impression that when running updates it sometimes give you no indication that's what it's doing outside seeing the battery drain a lot faster than usual.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'll need a few more hours to test, but I think actually the key is turning off lift to wake.

AoD actually doesn't seem like it's a big battery suck, it's waking the watch up every time it thinks you may be looking at it.

I've had AoD on, lift to wake off, wake on notification on, tap to wake on. I've been out rubbing errands for the past two hours, getting a few notifications, tapping to pay a few places, and I'm only down to 98%.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Charged back up to full and put in on my wrist at 8pm, put sleep mode on at 9pm, it's now midnight and showing 66%.

I think I got a duff unit.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rebus posted:

Charged back up to full and put in on my wrist at 8pm, put sleep mode on at 9pm, it's now midnight and showing 66%.

I think I got a duff unit.

Yeah... To give you perspective I put mine on at 915 today. It's currently 4 and at 72% battery. I may be lucky but I'm not seeing... Any bad battery issues. At all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm currently 4 hours off charge with AoD on and I'm at 91%.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm ~8 hours from a full charge w/AoD off and sitting at 80%. My first couple days with it, it was burning through battery like candy. I really think it's background updates happening.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Day 3 and if anything it's worse.

It's going back to them tomorrow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm at 21 hours and down to 30% which includes sleep tracking over night. It's still about half the battery life of the GW5 Pro, but it does literally have half the battery.

Found out in a review that if you double tap the crown it brings up Google Wallet and sure enough it does. Would have been nice for that to have been called out somewhere.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Just for the record. ~24 hours from charge and I'm recharging but there's 20% battery left. Non LTE model, no AoD, wake on lift on, tap to wake on, google assist setup for it too.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Azrial posted:

Have a defective OLED on mine, had to talk to five support people before they agreed to email me in 24-48 hours about a replacement. For four hundred dollars I kind of expect the thing to work unfortunately, normally I'm not very picky.

I see you're new to google hardware.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reports are coming in that the WearOS 3 update is starting to roll out to the Fossil Gen 6. Same issue as with the Montblanc Summit 3 in that Google Assistant isn't available for it yet. It will fully reset the watch and you'll have to re-pair with the Fossil App. I tried on mine and it's not showing up yet.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Just got my Pixel Watch Band in Ivy; as a person who finds silicon bands irritating/frustrating (since they don't breathe) this is... a bit better. It's not $60 better, but it's a bit better.

There's one problem with this band, though: it loving stinks. It stinks so goddamned bad.
I can't quite describe what the smell is, exactly, it reminds me of that plasticky smell of a kiddie pool or a garden hose that's been baking summer sun all day. It's gross.

e: the color matching is really nice though, I'm pretty stoked with how similar the watch face color is with the highlights on the connectors/edges of the band

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 17, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have the same band and I also like it, but I worry about the latching mechanism since it's just a simple snap in situation. Given how easily the thing will shatter, it makes me a bit nervous about catching on something and becoming unlatched.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Like many, I've been on the fence the last few days about whether to get the pixel watch or a galaxy watch. While I am a huge pixel fan, and would ideally have gone that way if the product was ready, I opted for a Galaxy Watch 5 pro today. Mainly because of battery life. There have been some promising reports of pixel watches exceeding 1 day, but even if I could count on that, the inevitable battery degradation over the supported lifetime (3 years) would mean less than 1 day eventually. That's why I'm looking to replace my Huawei Watch 2 in the first place!

I fully expect to be Samsunged. But if anyone wants to do the same, I managed to get a good deal, I think. Buying direct from the Samsung store, you can get $125 for ANY working smartwatch. I'm going to trade in my Wyze Watch which I bought for $20. I confirmed with customer service over chat that this should work. Also, the CS rep offered me an additional $65 with a bit of a high-pressure buy-it-today push. So I'm getting my nominally $449 watch for $259, making it less expensive than the Pixel Watch by a good margin.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One other big Galaxy Watch 4/5/Pro advantage in my book is that they use screws and an o-ring to seal the thing up rather than glue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXMMPIQfZ8o

You as an end user actually have a prayer of replacing the battery on your own without destroying the watch. In fact, most repairs could likely be done by the owner.

Replacement battery for the Watch 4 costs $25 and looks like it could be replaced in 10 minutes. 15 if you were extra careful.

https://www.ifixit.com/Parts/Samsung_Galaxy_Watch_4

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
That's a bit of a markup for a 350mah lipoly battery, but I guess it does have that nifty connector on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Still beats the $80 to replace it on an Apple Watch.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What kinda battery life can you expect on the samsung watches?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

codo27 posted:

So far I've been getting 48h+ without charging on my 5 Pro. Most days I drop it on the charger when I hop in the shower and that keeps me over 50% pretty much at all times.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

codo27 posted:

I have a watch 4 and I wear it nearly all day with most sensors turned on and most of my notifications coming through. I usually have about 70% battery left at the end of the day. Also note this is the previous gen samsung watch.

I have never had a battery issue with it at all

Hadn't considered that. I have the larger size watch 4
vvvvvv

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 19, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Be sure you mention what size. From what I understand, the smaller of the two sizes of the Galaxy Watch doesn't get battery life that's much different than the Pixel Watch which is pretty on par with other 41mm devices.

The 45mm regular Watch 4/5 will easily get you through most of the 2nd day depending on if you track workouts or use GPS.

The Pro, in my experience, is easily a 3 day watch and could probably stretch into 4 if you turn AoD and tilt to wake off.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
I bought and sent back a Fitbit Sense 2 due to lacking software, where the gently caress are all the Google apps??!?!?!

I like the look of the Samsung 5 44mm/5 Pro but I am unsure what features I will be missing pairing it with a Pixel 5.

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Like many, I've been on the fence the last few days about whether to get the pixel watch or a galaxy watch. While I am a huge pixel fan, and would ideally have gone that way if the product was ready, I opted for a Galaxy Watch 5 pro today. Mainly because of battery life. There have been some promising reports of pixel watches exceeding 1 day, but even if I could count on that, the inevitable battery degradation over the supported lifetime (3 years) would mean less than 1 day eventually. That's why I'm looking to replace my Huawei Watch 2 in the first place!

I fully expect to be Samsunged. But if anyone wants to do the same, I managed to get a good deal, I think. Buying direct from the Samsung store, you can get $125 for ANY working smartwatch. I'm going to trade in my Wyze Watch which I bought for $20. I confirmed with customer service over chat that this should work. Also, the CS rep offered me an additional $65 with a bit of a high-pressure buy-it-today push. So I'm getting my nominally $449 watch for $259, making it less expensive than the Pixel Watch by a good margin.

Did you have to talk to support to get the $125 off? I have an older Fossil smart watch and a Fitbit Blaze that need to be traded in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ECG (if you don't install the modified health monitor app) and syncing of DnD which the Pixel Watch doesn't do always. That's it, that's the full list of functionality that differs between a Samsung phone and non-Samsung phone.

My Fossil Gen 6 got WearOS 3 on Monday. Pretty similar to the Pixel Watch with some minor differences to the quick settings. No assistant though, Google still has to make one that works in WearOS 3 and the 4100 processor.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

aluminumonkey posted:

Did you have to talk to support to get the $125 off? I have an older Fossil smart watch and a Fitbit Blaze that need to be traded in.

Nope! "Other" brand, "any working smartwatch" are choices in the online trade in form.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you get the leather Pixel band, it's using standard 20mm pins to attach to the lugs (just not quick release) so you could pop it off with a watch band tool and put whatever 20mm band on you want.

https://chromeunboxed.com/google-pixel-watch-lug-adapter-20mm-bands-3rd-party/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fitbit added support for Health Connect this morning so that makes all three (Samsung Health, Google Fit, and Fitbit).

Fitbit only has write support, so it will only write to the local health connect.

I'm starting to see some evidence of that flow. If I open Fit right now, I can see Sleep Data, Steps and Heart Rate recorded by my Galaxy Watch 5 Pro in the fit app with labels that it came from Samsung Heath. I haven't seen evidence of Fitbit writing data since I allowed permissions this morning.

I know health connect only stores data for 30 days, but I'm unclear if what I'm seeing in Fit is realtime access or if it's importing data and I'll be able to go back in time and look at it in Fit after the 30 days are up.

I haven't seen any data from anything else pop into Samsung Health yet even though it also has read permissions. I'm wondering if to avoid conflicts if it doesn't pull data for stuff that it itself is already recording. I didn't notice Fit pulling steps from Samsung Heath until after I disabled phone activity tracking. I don't know if it actually had effect or if it was just a coincidence that the steps I took populated in.

We'll see when Fitbit actually starts contributing to the data store, but I'm thinking Fit could eventually serve as the central dashboard of data from all various health apps while tracking nothing in and of itself.

I'm also not sure how often everything syncs. It's been over a half hour since the last time any app has had interaction with health connect.

However, if this gets me to the point where steps, general activity, and heart rate are collected in one app no matter what fitness platform I use, that will be good enough for me. I can do more specific activity stuff (like route tracking if I'm going on a bike ride or something) within the fitness app in question, but at least have a record of the activity in the central store.

Edit: Looking at it closer it doesn't seem like Samsung has Read or Write with steps for Health Connect. That's not a HUGE issue since I can load google fit on my Galaxy Watch and it will keep sync with the step tracking. Fitbit does seem like it will write steps to the Data Store, but I'm waiting for it to start doing that.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 25, 2022

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Do any pixel watch owners regret their purchase? Like, is it a total waste of money? I had that Google play credit from p7, as well as some device cash I accumulated through the Play Store, so I bought one. Just wondering if it's a dumpster fire. Only other smartwatch I have is a 40mm Galaxy Watch 4 and I like it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mental Hospitality posted:

Do any pixel watch owners regret their purchase? Like, is it a total waste of money? I had that Google play credit from p7, as well as some device cash I accumulated through the Play Store, so I bought one. Just wondering if it's a dumpster fire. Only other smartwatch I have is a 40mm Galaxy Watch 4 and I like it.

Feels snappier than my fossil gen 5 and it doesn't have charge rings that act up and fall off

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

Yep, I returned it because the battery was total trash.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pixel watch isn't going to have any worse battery life than a 40mm Galaxy Watch (or any other 40mm sized smartwatch for that matter.)

It's not GOOD battery life, but it is competitive with the size bracket.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i had absolutely terrible battery life for a few days, it would be down to 20% after 8 hours of doing nothing, but it's been behaving lately, right now at 89% after ~6 hours today. i was excited to use it for tap to pay but the last couple of times i've tried it have either done nothing or put the terminal in the error state where i have to get out my phone anyway. it worked the first time i used it but i don't want to waste other peoples' time by dicking around with my watch while in line

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I have a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic I'm pretty happy with, I even use the rotary dial. What should I do with $200 of Samsung store credit? The 5 seems like a side grade other than the Pro with the big battery, but I don't want to spend $150 actual money on it just to use that $200 when I'm happy with the 4.

Are there any good chargers? The reviews of the ones I do find don't seem great, but if there's a nice wireless charger, it'd be a good way to use that credit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It doesn't look like Health Connect isn't fully implemented with Fitbit yet. It shows up in the Health Connect app to grant permissions, but there's no mention of Health Connect in the fitbit app itself to enable and I haven't seen any data flow yet.

I'm still not sure how this will operate long term. Right now, if I wear my Galaxy Watch with Fit installed I get steps and move minutes from Fit on the watch (since Samsung Health doesn't push steps to Health Connect for some reason), heartreate and sleep come from the Galaxy watch into fit. Fit will even display all the sleep stage information from the Galaxy Watch.

it appears you can prioritize for the Sleep Metric within the health connect app to say what sleep data you prefer to use if there's overlapping which is kinda neat. I have fitbit as the priority now, but that app isn't pushing any data yet and Samsung Health is second.

You can install Fit on the Pixel Watch now which is a workround for getting steps and move minutes into Fit until Fitbit Health Connect integration is done. Once that is done, there shouldn't be any reason for Fit on the Pixel Watch as Fitbit does appear that it will push step count to Health Connect.

Long term, I have questions about the data that I haven't been able to find out about yet.

First, that 30 days thing. From the developer page.

quote:

Q: What is the range of historical data Health Connect can read or write?
A: Health Connect enables you to read data measured up to 30 days before and write data for all time ranges.

That doesn't appear to be quite the whole story. If you look at the permissions for each enabled integration in Health Connect, it says the earliest date that it can access data from. It appears to be 30 days from when you ENABLED the integration. For Fit, I enabled it the day after I got my Pixel 7 Pro so it says "Fit can access data added after September 14th 2022". Samsung Health support came later and Fitbit came yesterday. Both of those have dates that reflect 30 days prior to when I switched them on. So, it doesn't appear to be a rolling 30 days.

That leads to me to my next question. Does the data STAY in an app once it's imported? Heath Connect by default doesn't delete data that is stored on device. There are three options for auto delete. Never, 18 months, and 3 months. Even that is vague as is that time interval based on the age of the data (remember, you can write for al time ranges) or when it was written in the store?

I did a test where I entered a Sleep in Samsung Heath and observed it sync to Fit. I then deleted the sleep from Samsung Heath and it removed from Fit. So in that case, a deletion carried through. However, I also know that it's not simply a local api call to fetch the data in realtime because I can run Fit on another Android device and see Samsung Sleep Data and Heart Rate that was added on my Pixel 7 Pro with Health Connect. I even turned off my Pixel 7 Pro, went to the other device and cleared all fit data, cleared any Health Connect Data on that device (though I hadn't setup anything to sync on that one) and uninstalled Fit. Reinstalling fit and logging into my account showed the Samsung Health data was still there and it couldn't have pulled it directly from the other phone since it was off. Additionally, when I went to delete all health connect data on that 2nd device, it warned me that apps may retain a copy of the data. So it really does seem as though the read from health connect is an import and the data should persist through different phones and over the years.

So, that may be the long term Fit play, to be a central data aggregate from other health services. I will say though that sync with both health connect and fit itself seems to be wonky and not quite real time. There are a few records that I changed in Samsung Health that I haven't seen reflect in Fit yet on the 7 Pro. I also see a at least one record that did update on the 7 Pro but doesn't appear to be cloud sync'd for Fit as it doesn't show up on any other device yet.

Things are promising, we'll see how things work when Fitbit actually does go live and I'll keep an eye on the Fit syncing to see if everything finally aligns. I have yet to see Samsung Health pull in any data from Fit, but I don't think there's any unique data in Fit yet that it would pull back. We'll see what happens when Fitbit starts writing to the store.

Edit: And of course, right after I posted, Fit reconciled all the outstanding changes between apps and devices. I'm cautiously optimistic. Come on Fitbit and enable that integration!

As it stands right now:

Wearing Galaxy Watch:
I get Steps, Move Minutes, Minute by Minute Heart Rate, and Sleep all in Fit.

Wearing Pixel Watch:
I get Steps, Move Minutes, and manual heartrate measurements in Fit.

Wearing Charge 5 alone:
Fit sees nothing.

After Fitbit enables integration, there should be data parity in Fit no matter what device I wear. Now all we need it is for Fitbit to allow multiple devices to be tied to the account, I'll finally be happy.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 26, 2022

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Google Fit's longevity becomes less convincing every time the Fitbit CEO answers that question:

quote:

Is this a watch you're going to want to use mainly Fitbit for? Where does Google Fit come into the picture there? Do you see that those two intertwining or are they going to remain pretty separate?

Google Fit will continue to exist. But, you know, we consider [the] Fitbit experience to be the flagship primary health experience for Google users.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/googles-james-park-the-pixel-watch-is-just-the-beginning-of-fitbits-crossover/

To me Google Fit currently having the most feature complete Health Connect implementation seems more out of pragmaticism/circumstance than long-term commitment to it as a product: since Fit is their original attempt at a Health API for Android, integrating with Health Connect as aggressively as possible is table stakes to cement HC as the ecosystems replacement before the Fit Android API's deprecation in 2024.

From the same interview, Fitbit being write-only doesn't seem to be a permanent state of affairs:

quote:

So I think that's a big way to unlock even more potential, us being able to import data from other devices and services, especially ones that we wouldn't develop ourselves. And then the inverse, which is exporting Fitbit health and fitness data to other services as well.

My guess would be that Google/Fitbit are rearchitecting the Fitbit database to be more flexible with non-Fitbit data sources, with the V2 rollout timed with the mandatory Google account's in 2023.

If nothing else, Google Fit fails the Google blog/Linkedin test: all of the named Google Fit employees from the blog mysteriously became Fitbit employees in 2021. Historically an older competing app being moved into newer apps department hasn't gone well for the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As long as I can get metrics from my Samsung watch and my Fitbit based devices into one app, I'll be happy.

The annoying thing is Samsung Heath doesn't write steps to Heath Connect, so I need Fit on the watch to get them in there.