Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"Zanzibar swimming death crabs being investigated" sounds like a cool MGS mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
this_is_fine.gif

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/15/weather/mississippi-river-low-water-tower-rock-climate/index.html

You do have to :smith: how the initial reporting for this story was "people's Mississippi river cruises were cut short because the boats couldn't go any further."

Ah, this is the good poo poo: https://fortune.com/2022/10/14/mississippi-river-water-near-record-low-supply-chains-disruption/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 16, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

:toot:

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-News/World-News/Germany-Is-Dismantling-A-Wind-Farm-To-Make-Way-For-A-Coal-Mine.amp.html

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

When did Germany become so pants on head stupid evil.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/27/climate-crisis-un-pathway-1-5-c

Guardian posted:

Climate crisis: UN finds ‘no credible pathway to 1.5C in place'
Failure to cut carbon emissions means ‘rapid transformation of societies’ is only option to limit impacts, report says

There is “no credible pathway to 1.5C in place”, the UN’s environment agency has said, and the failure to reduce carbon emissions means the only way to limit the worst impacts of the climate crisis is a “rapid transformation of societies”.

The UN environment report analysed the gap between the CO2 cuts pledged by countries and the cuts needed to limit any rise in global temperature to 1.5C, the internationally agreed target. Progress has been “woefully inadequate” it concluded. Current pledges for action by 2030, if delivered in full, would mean a rise in global heating of about 2.5C and catastrophic extreme weather around the world. A rise of 1C to date has caused climate disasters in countries from Pakistan to Puerto Rico.

If the long-term pledges by countries to hit net zero emissions by 2050 were delivered, global temperature would rise by 1.8C. But the glacial pace of action means meeting even this temperature limit was not credible, the UN report said. Countries agreed at the Cop26 climate summit a year ago to increase their pledges. But with Cop27 looming, only a couple of dozen have done so and the new pledges would shave just 1% off emissions in 2030. Global emissions must fall by almost 50% by that date to keep the 1.5C target alive.

Inger Andersen, the executive director of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), said: “This report tells us in cold scientific terms what nature has been telling us all year through deadly floods, storms and raging fires: we have to stop filling our atmosphere with greenhouse gases, and stop doing it fast. “We had our chance to make incremental changes, but that time is over. Only a root-and-branch transformation of our economies and societies can save us from accelerating climate disaster. “It is a tall, and some would say impossible, order to reform the global economy and almost halve greenhouse gas emissions by 2030, but we must try,” she said. “Every fraction of a degree matters: to vulnerable communities, to ecosystems, and to every one of us.” Andersen said action would also bring cleaner air, green jobs and access to electricity for millions.

The UN secretary general, António Guterres, said: “Emissions remain at dangerous and record highs and are still rising. We must close the emissions gap before climate catastrophe closes in on us all.” Prof David King, a former UK chief scientific adviser, said: “The report is a dire warning to all countries – none of whom are doing anywhere near enough to manage the climate emergency.” The report found that existing carbon-cutting policies would cause 2.8C of warming, while pledged policies cut this to 2.6C. Further pledges, dependent on funding flowing from richer to poorer countries, cut this again to 2.4C.

New reports from the International Energy Agency and the UN’s climate body reached similarly stark conclusions, with the latter finding that the national pledges barely cut projected emissions in 2030 at all, compared with 2019 levels. The UNEP report said the required societal transformation could be achieved through government action, including on regulation and taxes, redirecting the international financial system, and changes to consumer behaviour.

It said the transition to green electricity, transport and buildings was under way, but needed to move faster. All sectors had to avoid locking in new fossil fuel infrastructure, contrary to plans in many countries, including the UK, to develop new oil and gas fields. A study published this week found “large consensus” across all published research that new oil and gas fields are “incompatible” with the 1.5C target. The UNEP report said about a third of climate-heating emissions came from the global food system and these were set to double by 2050. But the sector could be transformed if governments changed farm subsidies – which are overwhelmingly harmful to the environment – and food taxes, cut food waste and helped develop new low-carbon foods. Individual citizens could adopt greener, healthier diets as well, the report said. Andersen said: “I’m not preaching one diet over another, but we need to be mindful that if we all want steak every night for dinner, it won’t compute.”

Redirecting global financial flows to green investments was vital, the report said. Most financial groups had shown limited action to date, despite their stated intentions, due to short-term interests, it said. A transformation to a low-emissions economy was expected to need at least $4tn-6tn a year in investment, the report said, about 2% of global financial assets. Despite Andersen’s doubts that the necessary emission cuts can be made by 2030, she pointed to the plummeting costs of renewables, the rollout of electric transport, major climate legislation in the US, and moves by pension funds to back low-carbon investments.

“It’s my job to be the ever hopeful person, but [also] to be the realistic optimist,” she said. “[This report] is the mirror that we’re holding up to the world. Obviously, I want to be proven wrong and see countries taking ambitious steps. But so far, that’s not what we’ve seen.”

Ahh classic, in the 4 ish years I've been following this thread it's been exactly this the whole way through, promises for insufficient change that aren't followed through. We've known for the last 20 years this was coming, we've done nothing, we're getting out of the loving around stage and into the finding out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There's been a ton of progress in the last decade. I still think it's a hard sell to hit 1.5/2C but we've certainly avoided a mad max apocalyptic hellscape.

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1585793168020316160?s=20&t=teOuauykH7ua7G48cxue0g

quote:

You can never really see the future, only imagine it, then try to make sense of the new world when it arrives.

Just a few years ago, climate projections for this century looked quite apocalyptic, with most scientists warning that continuing “business as usual” would bring the world four or even five degrees Celsius of warming — a change disruptive enough to call forth not only predictions of food crises and heat stress, state conflict and economic strife, but, from some corners, warnings of civilizational collapse and even a sort of human endgame. (Perhaps you’ve had nightmares about each of these and seen premonitions of them in your newsfeed.)

Now, with the world already 1.2 degrees hotter, scientists believe that warming this century will most likely fall between two or three degrees. (A United Nations report released this week ahead of the COP27 climate conference in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt, confirmed that range.) A little lower is possible, with much more concerted action; a little higher, too, with slower action and bad climate luck. Those numbers may sound abstract, but what they suggest is this: Thanks to astonishing declines in the price of renewables, a truly global political mobilization, a clearer picture of the energy future and serious policy focus from world leaders, we have cut expected warming almost in half in just five years.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
So cool that big oil is losing so much money to the rise of renewables that they won't continue to have endless money to pay for propaganda... haha yeah right

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

There's been a ton of progress in the last decade. I still think it's a hard sell to hit 1.5/2C but we've certainly avoided a mad max apocalyptic hellscape.

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1585793168020316160?s=20&t=teOuauykH7ua7G48cxue0g

Does this certainty include the potential feedback loops like methane releases in its worst case maximums?

Besides that, my understanding is 2-3 degrees is a catastrophic level of warming in terms of social stability, food security, coastal flooding and many other Very Bad Things in our lifetime

TheBlackVegetable fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 28, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This is the biggest delusional cope I have ever seen. "We've managed to avoid certain civilization collapse for global catastrophe and only potential collapse!"

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Besides that, my understanding is 2-3 degrees is a catastrophic level of warming in terms of social stability, food security, coastal flooding and many other Very Bad Things in our lifetime
yep, its all psychobabble tone-jockying. greater than 2C has always has been and will be a nightmare worse than ww1 & ww2 combined.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I still think it's a hard sell to hit 1.5/2C but we've certainly avoided a mad max apocalyptic hellscape.

Don’t set the bar of success too high!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

There has not "been a ton of progress in the past decade." A completely delusional statement. It's even contradicted by the UN report. CO2 output increased the whole time except for the brief blip during lockdowns.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/10/new-maps-of-ancient-warming-reveal-strong-response-to-carbon-dioxide/

Also some new work on paleoclimate CO2 sensitivity. Turns out it was higher than thought (~6.7 +- 2.5 C per doubling) during the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum about 30Mya, which was probably triggered by magma infiltrating oil-bearing sediment. Among other things, it points to greater CO2 sensitivity at higher CO2, which is something we should probably keep in mind as we debate whether this is a big deal or if we are making progress (we aren't).

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 28, 2022

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Yeah I was wondering when this article was going to be posted in this thread.

Basically, Wallace-Wells is trying real hard to put a positive spin on what is an increasingly terrifying situation. The manner in which he is doing it is:

a) flawed: focuses too much on linear models, whereas the paleoclimate record is all about non-linear changes (brought on by so-called "tipping points"),
b) way too small in scope: no mention of glacier melts and only a passing mention — inside an image caption — of rising ocean temperatures, and,
c) human-centric: nothing about other species except when it relates directly to people, i.e. "threatening ocean biodiversity and affecting the protein supply for hundreds of millions of people", and a few plants that have been hyped up as "sustainable supercrops" which is utterly laughable

It also feels disjointed and self-contradictory. He first goes "yeah things are bad but they aren't as bad as our worst predictions!" and then he quotes a whole bunch of experts who are like "things are absolutely terrible and they are getting more terrible everyday". He goes "we have made progress!" and then he lists climate disaster after climate disaster and goes "I am alarmed and so should you be!"

quote:

Overall emissions have not yet begun to decline, and it’s a long way from peak down to zero, making all these changes to expectations mostly notional, for now — a different set of lines being drawn naďvely on a whiteboard and waiting to be made real. New emissions peaks are expected both this year and next, which means that more damage is being done to the future climate of the planet right now than at any previous point in history. Things will get worse before they even stabilize.

But we are getting a clearer map of climate change, and however intimidating it looks, that new world must be made navigable — through action to limit the damage and adaptation to defend what can’t be stopped. At four degrees, the impacts of warming appeared overwhelming, but at two degrees, the impacts would not be the whole of our human fate, only the landscape on which a new future will be built.

There's really only one proper response to the above: :laffo:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Slow News Day posted:

Yeah I was wondering when this article was going to be posted in this thread.

Basically, Wallace-Wells is trying real hard to put a positive spin on what is an increasingly terrifying situation. The manner in which he is doing it is:

a) flawed: focuses too much on linear models, whereas the paleoclimate record is all about non-linear changes (brought on by so-called "tipping points"),
b) way too small in scope: no mention of glacier melts and only a passing mention — inside an image caption — of rising ocean temperatures, and,
c) human-centric: nothing about other species except when it relates directly to people, i.e. "threatening ocean biodiversity and affecting the protein supply for hundreds of millions of people", and a few plants that have been hyped up as "sustainable supercrops" which is utterly laughable

It also feels disjointed and self-contradictory. He first goes "yeah things are bad but they aren't as bad as our worst predictions!" and then he quotes a whole bunch of experts who are like "things are absolutely terrible and they are getting more terrible everyday". He goes "we have made progress!" and then he lists climate disaster after climate disaster and goes "I am alarmed and so should you be!"

There's really only one proper response to the above: :laffo:
This is the liberal response to climate change. As it becomes increasingly horrifying, the objective reality can't be fully denied, but the subjective feeling of it can be. This must be done, otherwise the only answer is large, sweeping changes to politics and economic production and allocation - which is antithetical to the entire ideology of comfortable liberals. Meanwhile, nothing meaningful happens as the powerful continue to drive humanity and the planet off a cliff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Guardian posted:

“Every fraction of a degree matters: to vulnerable communities, to ecosystems, and to every one of us.” Andersen said action would also bring cleaner air, green jobs and access to electricity for millions."

This is a weird nitpick, but I'm half-wondering if the use of the phrase "vulnerable communities" in reports like this has the opposite effect of making people care less than they would otherwise. Like, "well, I'm pretty sure my community's not vulnerable, so this is really someone else's problem." I mean, it does go on to say "and to every one of us" but then why even mention the vulnerable communities in the first place, if we are all vulnerable? What is the purpose of using this language?

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

quote:

But we are getting a clearer map of climate change, and however intimidating it looks, that new world must be made navigable — through action to limit the damage and adaptation to defend what can’t be stopped. At four degrees, the impacts of warming appeared overwhelming, but at two degrees, the impacts would not be the whole of our human fate, only the landscape on which a new future will be built.

UN report: We're headed for 2.6 degrees if everyone sticks to their pledges.

DWW: Oh, two degrees, not too bad!

quote:

“We’ve come a long way, and we’ve still got a long way to go,” says Hayhoe, the Canadian scientist, comparing the world’s progress to a long hike. “We’re halfway there. Look at the great view behind you. We actually made it up halfway, and it was a hard slog. So take a breather, pat yourself on the back, but then look up — that’s where we have to go. So let’s keep on going.”

I was really weirded out by this quote, considering we haven't even begun to reduce emissions. Then I realized he probably thinks increasing emissions counts as the first half, so if we turn it around right now we're already halfway there.

The whole thing reads at best like bargaining drivel, at worst trying to muddy the waters on the same day the Emissions Gap Report was published. The DWW article is huge, so he must've had it ready to go in advance. He even has a link that mentions "report" that just goes to another bullshit article. He doesn't name it anywhere either, so it's hard to search for it or even know which report he's talking about.

And they peppered the whole thing with greenwashing pics.

I already knew he was just a :words: guy, but doubly glad now that I never bothered with any of his books.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Clarste posted:

This is a weird nitpick, but I'm half-wondering if the use of the phrase "vulnerable communities" in reports like this has the opposite effect of making people care less than they would otherwise. Like, "well, I'm pretty sure my community's not vulnerable, so this is really someone else's problem." I mean, it does go on to say "and to every one of us" but then why even mention the vulnerable communities in the first place, if we are all vulnerable? What is the purpose of using this language?

He adds this further down:

quote:

Indeed, already we can say a given heat wave was made 30 times more likely by climate change, or that it was a few degrees hotter than it would have been without climate change, and both would be true. We’ll be able to talk about the contributions of warming to disasters that buckle whole nations, as the recent monsoon flooding in Pakistan has, or about the human contributions to such vulnerability.

I think you're spot on. It's weasely language providing an out: "This is a Pakistan problem".

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Subtext is if you're rich you're safe

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RIP Syndrome posted:

I already knew he was just a :words: guy, but doubly glad now that I never bothered with any of his books.

He's a poor writer, but I still think you are being somewhat unfair because he's most known for his book The Uninhabitable Earth which actually does do justice to the bleakness of the subject. It earned him the "doomer" label when it came out just three years ago.

The New York Intelligencer article of the same title that gave birth to the book opens with this:

quote:

I. ‘Doomsday’
Peering beyond scientific reticence.

It is, I promise, worse than you think. If your anxiety about global warming is dominated by fears of sea-level rise, you are barely scratching the surface of what terrors are possible, even within the lifetime of a teenager today. And yet the swelling seas — and the cities they will drown — have so dominated the picture of global warming, and so overwhelmed our capacity for climate panic, that they have occluded our perception of other threats, many much closer at hand. Rising oceans are bad, in fact very bad; but fleeing the coastline will not be enough.

Indeed, absent a significant adjustment to how billions of humans conduct their lives, parts of the Earth will likely become close to uninhabitable, and other parts horrifically inhospitable, as soon as the end of this century.

I don't know what prompted his NYTimes article, though. It's possible that he wrote a very pessimistic one and the editors told him it was too dark.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 28, 2022

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Slow News Day posted:

He's a poor writer, but I still think you are being somewhat unfair because he's most known for his book The Uninhabitable Earth which actually does do justice to the bleakness of the subject. It earned him the "doomer" label when it came out just three years ago.

The New York Intelligencer article of the same title that gave birth to the book opens with this:

I don't know what prompted his NYTimes article, though. It's possible that he wrote a very pessimistic one and the editors told him it was too dark.

Yeah... I still have the capacity to get frustrated by articles like that, so maybe that's showing a little. Please don't tell anyone I got mad :)

On the other hand, even if the editors yanked him hard (all the self-contradictions say yes), he's still on their payroll and enabling what amounts to a smokescreen against the much bleaker actual science that just came out.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE
As someone who actually read the new article and his earlier article and book, it seemed to me to be a fair balancing of the current state of affairs as I understand it? i.e. “It’s looking like we’re not apocalypse 8.5C hosed, we’re not near-apocalypse 5C hosed, we’re only third-world apocalypse / global north severely disrupted 3C hosed” are people’s issues here with DWW’s writing that he’s not more open and honest about the fact that subtext of all climate action across the globe has been and will now continue to be as outcomes become more certain that poor countries and people will bear the vast majority of the horribleness to come (and that rich / northern countries continue to take advantage of this fact?) Or is the issue that he’s completely wrong and that we’re actually apocalypse hosed.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think we are actually apocalypse hosed because there's so many unconsidered tipping points and so many bad assumptions that good changes will persist through the various disasters.

It's more likely that as we encounter increasingly desperate material conditions we fall back on burning poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The only feedback loop that matters is first-world people having to deal with true scarcity for the first time. It won't be "oh dear what hubris have we indulged in how may we save ourselves," it'll be "chuck the poor into the furnaces if they refuse to work if it'll keep my lights and heat on even an extra week."

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah if people think the second half of the 20th century was bad for American Imperialism just wait until real imperialism occurs.

Even if inflation was not an issue in other economic sectors, the rising gas prices alone (10% actual scarcity / 90% corporate profiteering and of course plain ol propaganda) of people filling up their loving precious GIANT CARZ are already going to allow Republicans to win back enough branches of government to cement their permanent minority rule. And of course that will snowball into even more accelerationism / climate change ignorance.

It really feels like culturally we're at the "WE AINT SEEN NOTHING YET!" vibes of Wiley Coyote jumping off a cliff with wings made of utter bullshit and not looking down yet.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
We haven't done anything substantial to unfuck ourselves which is just a narrative for libs to take false comfort in while demanding that nothing else fundamentally changes. All the Paris promises are worthless, the only thing we've achieved is adding renewables on top of all the oil we were going to burn anyway. Human activity has caused climate change, the form and character of the activities causing this change is known and every year we increase those activities.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Can't believe people in this thread now sound like a bunch of doomers!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

Can't believe people in this thread now sound like a bunch of doomers!

drat son, your first probation in 15 years of posting. You could at least have made it a good one! :sad:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Trying to be a realist these days is pretty much in parallel with being a pessimist / doomer.

I have a friend who is a climate scientist (studying loving glaciers of all things) and they have told me that they need to put on an absolute fake persona around most people because most Americans just don’t want to hear the truth about where the trends are going.

Also I work in computer networking, and my entire career as it exists today didn’t really exist 50 years ago. My friend thinks the same thing of them studying glaciers for a profession- only that their profession won’t exist in 50 years.

And that’s them putting on a brave face and trying to collect data before glaciers go extinct and not just straight up doomer talk or something.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Does this certainty include the potential feedback loops like methane releases in its worst case maximums?

The IPCC includes feedback effects in their estimates.

Any warming is or at least in the timescales we've done in it - under a Century - is going to be bad. The 1.5/2C threshold was designed in a way we thought this was the maximum ability for humanity to adjust.

It looks like we're probably going to miss that and it sucks yet that is quite far from the end of the world. If you live in a temperate climate not directly next to a large body of water, it might not matter much but if you are poor subsistence farmer with a home next to the ocean in tropical region things are going to definitely get dicey. How humanity reacts is going to be way important than how our climate changes.

cat botherer posted:

There has not "been a ton of progress in the past decade." A completely delusional statement. It's even contradicted by the UN report. CO2 output increased the whole time except for the brief blip during lockdowns.

This is completely untrue. The decline of coal replaced with Natural Gas and Renewables along with electric vehicles is a huge big deal.

https://twitter.com/hausfath/status/1585495842487603200?s=20&t=eYFCYpi9etVZLI9WHfq3iw

https://twitter.com/hausfath/status/1585693861396914176?s=20&t=eYFCYpi9etVZLI9WHfq3iw

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Big Slammu posted:

As someone who actually read the new article and his earlier article and book, it seemed to me to be a fair balancing of the current state of affairs as I understand it? i.e. “It’s looking like we’re not apocalypse 8.5C hosed, we’re not near-apocalypse 5C hosed, we’re only third-world apocalypse / global north severely disrupted 3C hosed” are people’s issues here with DWW’s writing that he’s not more open and honest about the fact that subtext of all climate action across the globe has been and will now continue to be as outcomes become more certain that poor countries and people will bear the vast majority of the horribleness to come (and that rich / northern countries continue to take advantage of this fact?) Or is the issue that he’s completely wrong and that we’re actually apocalypse hosed.

For what it's worth, The Inhabitable Earth I think is a good book and DWW is at least a decent writer but I would highly encourage everyone to also read about the Energy Industry. Daniel Yergin is freaking phenomenal.

https://twitter.com/RichardMeyerDC/status/1465312949380210690?s=20&t=eYFCYpi9etVZLI9WHfq3iw

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Any warming is or at least in the timescales we've done in it - under a Century - is going to be bad. The 1.5/2C threshold was designed in a way we thought this was the maximum ability for humanity to adjust.

It looks like we're probably going to miss that and it sucks yet that is quite far from the end of the world. If you live in a temperate climate not directly next to a large body of water, it might not matter much but if you are poor subsistence farmer with a home next to the ocean in tropical region things are going to definitely get dicey. How humanity reacts is going to be way important than how our climate changes.

This is completely untrue. The decline of coal replaced with Natural Gas and Renewables along with electric vehicles is a huge big deal.

https://twitter.com/hausfath/status/1585495842487603200?s=20&t=eYFCYpi9etVZLI9WHfq3iw

https://twitter.com/hausfath/status/1585693861396914176?s=20&t=eYFCYpi9etVZLI9WHfq3iw

It does suck! It sucks so much, one might say the best case scenario is for the way we live now to end at any cost!

Yes, any cost! To watch our world progress in this way and know it won't make the logical ethical changes needed to avoid global catastrophe... suffering lasting far longer than a human lifespan, affecting the least complicit, affecting the most exploited and marginalized before it reaches those who benefit from the rape of our worlds future.

I can't imagine anything more important than tackling this issue, yet through open willful self-interest or programming and human nature, I'm still often told all the reasons we technically can't stop destroying the future by people online and off. Sometimes it's even a condescending lecture. "You claim to care so much about this but can't even realize there's a war in Ukraine / trump supporters / an election coming up? We can't afford to make these changes now."

In my interactions with people I am reflexively compassionate, and I not only reccomend but demand that of everyone.

But clinically, academically, on paper, huge amounts of people are going to suffer and die as the result of the way we live, and I admit I fervently wish that fate would instead fall upon those who orchestrated and benefited from this horrifying tragedy. And those parties look a lot like me and most people I know, because it is us.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well, we couldn't afford to make the changes post 9/11 because "otherwise the terrorists win." We couldn't afford to make the changes after 2008 because "we need to strengthen the economy!" We couldn't afford to make the changes after 2012 because "oh, there's a Republican congress and they won't let us :ohdear:." We couldn't afford to make the changes post-2016 because :smugdon:. And we can't make them now because the government and corporations are all run by passively genocidal fuckheads who know they've only got 10-20 years left, max, and clearly don't give a gently caress about their grandchildren's futures.

Oh, and we couldn't afford to make the changes after 1991 (aside from a very brief gently caress-giving about the ozone layer) because the ideological "West" had to take a decade-long "victory lap." And we can't afford to make the changes *now* because "wow, people sure went collectively batshit when we told them they *needed* to wear masks...imagine what'd loving happen if we told them they *needed* to make an even BIGGER sacrifice!"

~1991 was probably around the last year where we might've been able to start doing small, substantive things to avoid or at least largely mitigate a Thunderdomed future. 2001 was the "last chance for gas."

Now it's just "battlefield triage."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 29, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

They “include feedbacks” but lol that you think those are know with any degree of certainty. We don’t know what we don’t know. You especially don’t know what you don’t know, because you don’t even know that.

I repeat that CO2 emissions are increasing. That’s the bottom line. We are failing. You are delusional if you think otherwise, just because some greenwashing PMCs are jerking themselves off because they think they are helping.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 29, 2022

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

cat botherer posted:

They “include feedbacks” but lol that you think those are know with any degree of certainty. We don’t know what we don’t know. You especially don’t know what you don’t know, because you don’t even know that.

This is literally the line denialists use to deny the science. The whole point of the IPCC work is that while you are technically true (that being the best kind of true) that we don't know what we don't know (as is pointed out by denialists that unknown stabilising loops may prevent the climate temp going beyond 1.5 deg - which we all agree is absurd), the science done suggests with confidence the outcomes as contained in the IPCC reports - drastically better or worse being unlikely.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
While it is trivially true that the future is unknown until it happens, the point of making scientific predictions is to narrow down a range of possibilities.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Clarste posted:

While it is trivially true that the future is unknown until it happens, the point of making scientific predictions is to narrow down a range of possibilities.

And so far our predictions have broadly been pretty accurate.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
What gets me is how clear it is that we as a world will never commit to sustainability in any controlled beneficial manner. Unpredictable chaos is the nature of existence, thus we can't tell the future, but we've built something more powerful global and resilient than anything previously. Every time chaos threatens our systems, we act in the immediate interest of preserving these systems in the short term, borrowing from the future to prop up the very machine that is destroying it.

The people of wealthy comfortable nations increasingly take their peace and prosperity for granted, unwilling and unable to face giving up our absurdly unjust and unsustainable lifestyles. Unable to even imagine it, living as people did even a generation or two ago is an unthinkable notion.

Meanwhile the other parts of the world (that we pillaged and exploited to establish our oh so impressive peace and prosperity) are eager to meet our levels of extraction and consumption, a level already unacceptably unsustainable, a doomed course.

The details of just exactly how much damage is being done matter less when you see we will never really commit to changing. Not in a controlled constructive manner.

Not saying the science should be disregarded, but "we've done slightly less damage than we expected" hardly seems reassuring when all signs point to us keeping the engines running no matter what. It's like producing some article about a fast food box that grows into a tree when it's cast out the window on the side of the highway. It's not a path into a better future, or even a different one.

What power exists in our world that can truly change our course? It will never be profitable or popular to adapt to true (or even just adequate) sustainability. Not with this world in the way. I've gone from grimly expecting collapse despite holding out hope, to feeling collapse is inevitable and necessary. "Hope" is a selfish indulgence, a willful trick we play on ourselves (if we even bother to follow or care about the climate and the future of our only world). If living resigned and remorseful as a grim soldier sounds unpalatable, imagine the experiences of our descendants as conditions worsen. Imagine people being starved displaced and poisoned right now, the cost of our comfort, so that we can practice toxic positivity in the face of cartoonishly short sighted greed and denial.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Electric Wrigglies posted:

This is literally the line denialists use to deny the science. The whole point of the IPCC work is that while you are technically true (that being the best kind of true) that we don't know what we don't know (as is pointed out by denialists that unknown stabilising loops may prevent the climate temp going beyond 1.5 deg - which we all agree is absurd)
Just because it sounds vaguely similar doesn't mean its anti-science. I literally have a PhD in a field closely related to climatology. I know what I am talking about here.

quote:

the science done suggests with confidence the outcomes as contained in the IPCC reports - drastically better or worse being unlikely.

That's not really something we can say with any certainty - and the tail risks are where the worst outcomes are. Realistic systems like these have "fat tails" where there is increased probability of extreme events.

"Tipping points" are a huge topic in climate research for a reason, because that is where the real uncertainty over the longer term is. Systems like the Earth are complex, and a perturbed stable regime can shift into a new, very different stable regime. We cannot constrain the physics or initial/boundary conditions well enough to know when these transitions can happen

We don't even know what all of these might be, so our estimate of apocalypic tail risk is much more uncertain than in the bulk. Climate change has been small so far, compared to what it will be. Models are more reliable in this situation because they don't need to extrapolate as much. This is not true of trying to predict the climate in 2080. Paleoclimate is probably the best empirical evidence we have of these situations, and there's enough there to show we should be cautious, and not be overconfident. We do not want to gently caress this up.

Owling Howl posted:

And so far our predictions have broadly been pretty accurate.
IPCC reports systematically underestimate climate risk. This is well-known.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-06/why-even-scientists-underestimate-climate-change
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05243-6

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 29, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Emissions are still increasing! It doesn't loving matter if those emissions are from natural gas if they're still going up you obtuse weirdo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

A big flaming stink posted:

Emissions are still increasing! It doesn't loving matter if those emissions are from natural gas if they're still going up you obtuse weirdo!

It’s the thought that counts