Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yeah sorry about the selfie tweet.

Here is one that fits the thread a bit better. Apologies for posting yet another tweet

https://twitter.com/hardestrides/status/1585770826737274880?t=c0vSr71IgHl0JSB92fw1Kw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Pennywise the Frown posted:

And doesn't realize that you take a selfie with the screen towards you since phones have had 2 cameras on them for over a decade.

edit: terrifying schad

https://i.imgur.com/VFs7PQw_lq.mp4
"No, it's fine, I'll just get out here"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If I lived in a place with spiders that big I'd have taken a parachute with me to flying lessons.

Or a gun....

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

And doesn't realize that you take a selfie with the screen towards you since phones have had 2 cameras on them for over a decade.

I was watching a thing recently where a guy mentioned how poo poo the quality of the front facing camera was compared to the back ones on his new phone.

He was annoyed that if he wanted to record/stream better quality videos he'd have to hold the phone backwards and just guess whether he was in shot or not

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Trigger Happy TV scratched the itch perfectly for me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Fuckin' Kevin Spacey at it again :argh:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

But it’s just a tarantula isn’t it? Pet it

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I would just take down the plane and that fucker with me.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

freeedr posted:

But it’s just a tarantula isn’t it? Pet it

Iirc it's a huntsman.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnXkMaMz7Ks&t=36s

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I hope they paid Daniel Stern a million dollars for that scene alone.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Trigger Happy TV scratched the itch perfectly for me.

See now that's abusive to an innocent person by terrifying them with an army of furries running at them. Unless like... that's their thing. I'm sure there is a deviant art painting out there.

Although it's hilarious.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

https://i.imgur.com/SYQyoTl.mp4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ Sooooo uh.... what app is that :sweatdrop:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Iirc it's a huntsman.

Looks like it, more spread out legs, flatter, not as fuzzy. Technically harmless to humans but 1) they're fuckoff big and 2) they like to hide in safe places like under the sun visor in your car so when you flip it down hey surprise spider friend buddy! On the freeway!

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 29, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We only have 2 scary spiders in WI. The brown recluse and the black widow. I've never seen either.

One of the most dangerous animals in WI is.... the white tail deer. There are about 20,000 car accidents each year with them. I'd be freaked out if I found a deer in my plane.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When I was a kid in Texas, black widows and brown recluse spiders were both everywhere. We caught about ten of each in a jar. The idiot kid from across the street dropped the jar on our front porch and I had several angry ones of each crawling on me. That was the one time I was scared of a spider bite.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
When I moved to WA state I was terrified when I found a gigantic spider in my apartment. Turns out it was the very common and not dangerous giant or common house spider or something. Which is extremely similar to the hobo spider (I think?) which can be dangerous. I'm not sure which two they are but they're similar looking and way bigger than any one I've ever seen out here.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Big spider in your house out here is almost always going to be a giant house spider.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I saw plenty of black widows growing up in Illinois. More than enough brown recluses in central Tennessee. I ran from a camel spider in Iraq. Now I live in Colorado and tarantulas are a migratory species here.

Also there are sun spiders in the southwest akin to huntsman and camel spiders.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

its all nice on rice posted:

Big spider in your house out here is almost always going to be a giant house spider.

Im cool with that. I want a giant house spider. Please eat the fly that has been living in my home for a week

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When I moved to WA state I was terrified when I found a gigantic spider in my apartment. Turns out it was the very common and not dangerous giant or common house spider or something. Which is extremely similar to the hobo spider (I think?) which can be dangerous. I'm not sure which two they are but they're similar looking and way bigger than any one I've ever seen out here.

Not the werewolf of ELKHORN!?!

Woops wrong quote this is for the Winconsonite

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Im cool with that. I want a giant house spider. Please eat the fly that has been living in my home for a week

Yeah I have a few tiny spiders like up in the very corner of my living room or something. You can't even see them unless you go over there so I'll let 'em live. You need some predators in your house to get rid of more of the pests. If they interfere with me or I see a huge centipede then my demeanor changes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Creepy crawly talk reminds me of when I was a teenager and my friend's idiot brother Eric decided he was going to start a side hustle selling rattlesnake venom to hospitals. He did this once.

EDIT: THIS STORY IS A BIT OF A DOWNER, SO MAYBE SKIP IT IF YOU ARE A FRIEND TO SNAKES.

His kit: a fishing pole, a Rubbermaid trash can, and a '68 Buick Skylark.

His plan: drive the old country roads (alone) at sundown until he found a snake laying on the road to soak up radiant heat (they do this). Light the snake up with the headlights, pin it's head down with the fishing pole, grab it behind the head, and throw it in the Rubbermaid trash can.

We wished him well and to our surprise he came back around 10 with a hand twice its normal size and a Rubbermaid trash can filled with seven very angry Rattlesnakes. He told us he was fine, and that Rattlesnakes usually don't inject venom on defensive bites. Of course now he needed to milk them.

His plan: ???

He just sort of ran out of steam and dumped the snakes into an old aquarium in his room. Unfortunately the next day, his mom decided to be nice and do his laundry. She took it downstairs and was folding it on the bed when she started hearing these popping sounds.

*pop*
*pop*
*pop-pop*

At this point she turned towards the sound and found herself about a foot away from some very angry snakes, in a glass aquarium on an eye level shelf, striking against the glass.

We heard the scream from about two blocks away as we were walking home from school. She was waiting on the front porch, deadly calm.

"Chef. Go home."

Nick and Eric's home was a corporal punishment house in the way that only having two whacked the gently caress out Vietnam vets for parents can be. It was not uncommon to send visitors away before the beatings commenced.

"Nick. Go with him."

Oh poo poo.

That pretty much killed the business, but Eric still had the problem of seven disgruntled and poisonous employees to deal with. Fun fact: the solution was another snake. Eric bought a king snake and threw it in the aquarium. Over the next few weeks the king snake would latch on to and slowly eat one rattler after another while the Rattlesnakes, in an evolutionary blindspot, offered no defense beyond ostracizing the current victim.

It was a weird house.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 29, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
What the gently caress.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zero One posted:

What the gently caress.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thanks, I wish I hadn't read that. Poor snakes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Serephina posted:

Thanks, I wish I hadn't read that. Poor snakes.

Sorry man. I'll go back and add a trigger warning.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I couldn't find much information on this couple but that they tried to pass a stolen credit card, dunno why they stuck around until the cop got there or why the guy engaged in such a half assed game of hiding and running nor why the lady thought that she could escape on the ceiling.
Lots of points none of which should have looked like a good idea.

This is from a bit ago, but criminals can be super and can be tricked into hanging around. When I worked at a department store, I got a couple who rolled up close to closing with a very big cart full of lots of ridiculous poo poo. Several Kitchenaid mixers, shoes, etc. So I start ringing them up and I don't think of anything about it. Now. we're supposed to ask everyone if they have our department store CC and if they want to sign up for one. The guy did most of the talking and said yeah, they had one already. But myself, being a good sales person, told him that if his girlfriend applied for one, I could give them 20% off their sale, even if she wasn't approved. They jumped on it. Mind you, I didn't suspect anything at this time, so she filled out the application and I plugged the info into the computer and I got this return to call the credit center for validation. Pretty standard. So I call the credit center and they're patiently waiting. The person on the other end advised me it wasn't going to be approved. I hung up and my phone immediately rang. It was our Loss Prevention person telling me the people had stolen the department store credit card they were trying to use and to try and stall them, the cops were on the way. I was like.....okay not what I was thinking was going to happen. So I turn to them and said the credit person's comp went down so they're just rebooting and then they can get it all approved. I waited and made small talk with them and told them how much they're gonna save. They started to get nervous and asked me to just go ahead and charge without the discount. I was like okay and then hit the wrong button on my register and basically acted incompetent and slow. About 2 mins after LP told me what was happening, a cop walks into the doors. The guy immediately puts his hands up and the girl goes full tilt running out the front door, only to be tackled from the side by the cop waiting outside off to the side. It was glorious.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

That pretty much killed the business, but Eric still had the problem of seven disgruntled and poisonous employees to deal with. Fun fact: the solution was another snake. Eric bought a king snake and threw it in the aquarium. Over the next few weeks the king snake would latch on to and slowly eat one rattler after another while the Rattlesnakes, in an evolutionary blindspot, offered no defense beyond ostracizing the current victim.
This makes the story sound made up. Terrible post either way though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't necassarily believe it's all scripted, but scripting taints the quality and it might as well be as legitimate as Ghost Adventures, to me.

Which, coincidentally, I loved Ghost Adventures for a long time, because those guys have good chemistry and it was basically brain candy. Do I believe any of their poo poo is real? Of course not. It was just fun to watch after a joint.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Watcher's Ghost Files (used to be buzzfeed's unsolved) is a better show. Ryan and Shane have good banter and the believer/skeptic dynamic works well for them.

I still like Ghost Adventures, the clown motel will always be a classic episode to me, but they came out and admitted some tomfoolery around the time Nick left. Infinitely better people and actors than the Ghost Hunters idiots.

The PYF Cryptids & Conspiracies thread has a whole lot of discussion on Ghost Files and similar shows if anyone wants to jump in on that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The Sign by Ace of Bass, 90s theme that was in a ton of poo poo that could possibly be where you heard it.

Base

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Spiderchat: One of my favourite things to do on trips to the cottage with friends, is go canoeing in the early morning. I'm really good in a canoe, and it's fun to guide people tripping balls on canoe trips through the 4:30AM fog to the opposite side of the lake where there are loads of cliff faces and other cool stuff. Sometimes I like to get really close to the cliffs and push off with my paddle, causing tons of wolf spiders to reveal themselves and scatter around the rock.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Oh that's just a Bruce. They're good mates and make sure there's no bad bugs in the plane. Always good to have a Bruce in your house/car/plane/dunny.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

See now that's abusive to an innocent person by terrifying them with an army of furries running at them. Unless like... that's their thing. I'm sure there is a deviant art painting out there.

Although it's hilarious.

I have a phobia of mascot costumes and have run away from the local baseball team's mascot before (WHY was he randomly at the farmer's market???) so I would have just died if that happened to me.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

"Buddy, I'm gonna have to charge you for a seat."

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wait, what the gently caress?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_of_Base

What the gently caress?! But that doesn't make any sense! "Ace of Bass" is clever!

quote:

The new band went through several names: [...] CAD (Computer-Aided Disco); and Tech-Noir, French for black technology, after a nightclub in the film The Terminator.
Those are pretty good too tbh

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Hyperlynx posted:

What the gently caress?! But that doesn't make any sense! "Ace of Bass" is clever!

Right? But their whole thing was calling their recording studio their "base," and they were the best musicians there, so they were the aces of that base.

My second favorite "this is why we have a dumb band name" story is when Garbage were asked about their origin. "Well, we called up the band name hotline, which is how every band gets assigned their name. They were short handed that week, and all they had was 'Garbage' and 'Hootie and the Blowfish.' I'm not sure we made the right choice."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Goddamn, the Base/Bass thing always bugged me too. At least now I have two facts about Ace of Base and one of them isn't nearly as upsetting.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The PYF Cryptids & Conspiracies thread has a whole lot of discussion on Ghost Files and similar shows if anyone wants to jump in on that.

I might have to browse through, thank you.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I have a phobia of mascot costumes and have run away from the local baseball team's mascot before (WHY was he randomly at the farmer's market???) so I would have just died if that happened to me.

Is your name Teddy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
nope