Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ah jeez, there's some stuff in that order I need sooner than a month from now. And apparently their customer service is super backed up now too so I can't easily cancel :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Private Equity: Not Even Once

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yeah, it seems the "MM going downhill arc" has become undeniable, so I removed it from the retailer recommendations. It was only somewhat recommended mostly due to inertia from previously being the biggest game in town for a while, but then again so was CoolStuffInc and now they're much reduced, as far as I understand. I am admittedly less plugged into online retailers than many board game enthusiasts since I try to buy from my FLGS since my LGS is particularly F.

If anyone has online vendors that they suggest, I can add them to the store recommendations. I recently had a perfectly nice experience with Noble Knight. Nothing went wrong, my stuff arrived safely.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

If anyone has online vendors that they suggest, I can add them to the store recommendations. I recently had a perfectly nice experience with Noble Knight. Nothing went wrong, my stuff arrived safely.

In Canada, I can recommend Board Game Bliss, 401 Games, and Great Boardgames. Board Game Bliss and 401 Games also ship to the US, including free shipping at a certain purchase amount, but it looks like Great Boardgames ships to Canada only.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I would love something like this site where I can overlay a sleeve on top of one of the cards to see how well, exactly, it fits. Nothing bugs me more than being told that a particular sleeve fits a card then finding out that it's a little loose, or has like half a cm of empty sleeve at the top, or whatever.

mellifluous posted:

In Canada, I can recommend Board Game Bliss, 401 Games, and Great Boardgames. Board Game Bliss and 401 Games also ship to the US, including free shipping at a certain purchase amount, but it looks like Great Boardgames ships to Canada only.

I also recommend https://www.raincity.games/, a store based in Vancouver. It doesn't have quite the volume of some of these larger online stores, but I've found a bunch of stuff in it that isn't anywhere else.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 25, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

mellifluous posted:

Board game bliss is actually how I got my copy of A Feast for Odin, years back, shipped to the US. Very happy with the experience fwiw.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Much appreciated. I don't know why alphabetizing the powers didn't occur to me. Last game, someone played the new Schizoid flare on turn 1 to give everyone a second power, and we drew the Odyssey selection card that was "draw 2 and give 1 each to your neighbors" and it took like 20 minutes to sort out. (I have never been more grateful for a line of text than "remove from the game after use".) Alphabetizing would have at least helped reduce the amount of searching; the usual method of a green pile, yellow pile, and red pile works okay at the start of the game but if you have to redraw things with no setup text... so much stuff has setup text.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

GetDunked posted:

Much appreciated. I don't know why alphabetizing the powers didn't occur to me. Last game, someone played the new Schizoid flare on turn 1 to give everyone a second power, and we drew the Odyssey selection card that was "draw 2 and give 1 each to your neighbors" and it took like 20 minutes to sort out. (I have never been more grateful for a line of text than "remove from the game after use".) Alphabetizing would have at least helped reduce the amount of searching; the usual method of a green pile, yellow pile, and red pile works okay at the start of the game but if you have to redraw things with no setup text... so much stuff has setup text.

Thanks for rating my effortpost as “good poo poo.” Warms the cockles of my heart.

One thing about alphabetizing powers and sorting flares by color — if you do this and want your game night to go quickly, you’re likely condemning yourself to offline work. If you have a good group, if time permits, it might be possible to enlist them in realphabetizing the powers at the end of the night, especially if you have a setup like mine where a max of four people are working on that while the rest are bagging tokens, sorting cards, etc.

But unless you have the best group ever and folks don’t mind putting in the extra effort, it might be too much to expect for them to help you sort flares into colors & the specials (inferno, extra color powers, etc.). Doubly so if you have recategorized some powers like I have — that’s the other paper I keep with my core set besides my teaching guide. (Don’t have my list with me but the one power that comes to mind is Greenhorn is a Red power. Why would you create a power that teaches people how to play the game wrong and give it to beginners?)

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Countblanc posted:

something that kinda pissed me off and I wish I knew beforehand was (thematic spoiler for ending) that the final scenario card talks about the numerous violent rapes going on during the Bad Time that's happening. i'm lucky that no one in my group was particularly susceptible to that particular trigger but it felt really extreme and out of place with everything that came prior other than "well it's a fantasy world what do you expect"

That is...

...extremely disappointing. I don't think it's going to be especially triggering for our group either, but... ugh. Why.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

!Klams posted:

That is...

...extremely disappointing. I don't think it's going to be especially triggering for our group either, but... ugh. Why.

As far as references to that subject matter go it's mercifully brief, like a single sentence, but that just makes it more baffling why it was included at all

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I didn’t know about this because I’ve been waiting for the end of Covid to start King’s Dilemma, but this revelation is making me second-guess today’s launch of Queens Dilemma.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Not to mention the fact that it's super duper more expensive than King's Dilemma and still doesn't have a recharge pack option.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So at my FLGS/Cafe, the table my group usually grabs for 3-4P games that don’t require a ton of space is by the game library. It’s off from the rest of the tables and in a nook so it’s a bit quieter.

At least once per game we play there, someone goes up to the library, sees Queen’s Gambit: the Game, and announces in a loud voice, “Isn’t this just chess?” Usually they interrupt our game to say this, as we’re a captive audience.

I’d consider stealing the game and burning it, but I’m afraid of what the picture of Anya Taylor-Joy on the box’s side might think of me, specifically her batrachian yet striking eyes.

That is all.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

mellifluous posted:

Morpheus posted:

I would love something like this site where I can overlay a sleeve on top of one of the cards to see how well, exactly, it fits. Nothing bugs me more than being told that a particular sleeve fits a card then finding out that it's a little loose, or has like half a cm of empty sleeve at the top, or whatever.

I also recommend https://www.raincity.games/, a store based in Vancouver. It doesn't have quite the volume of some of these larger online stores, but I've found a bunch of stuff in it that isn't anywhere else.

Thank you both. Wish it was a little easier to find out where these places ship to without an account, but it turns out Cardhaus will ship basically anywhere, so that's cool in case someone is viewing from somewhere outside the area we have covered.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Spiteski posted:

Not to mention the fact that it's super duper more expensive than King's Dilemma and still doesn't have a recharge pack option.

That's the deal breaker for me. I don't know if I would have backed at a cheaper price since I'm not getting many games to the table lately anyway, but I was interested enough to sign up for notifications, looked at the page when it launched, and then basically decided I'm okay with them making it a super easy decision for me by making it so expensive. I think on some level a lot of us still have price expectations from a lifetime without inflation until recently that aren't going to match with reality for a while, but even accounting for that I feel like they're asking for a lot. Maybe the components justify it, but at that price I'm not going to find out.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 26, 2022

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Admiralty Flag posted:

So at my FLGS/Cafe, the table my group usually grabs for 3-4P games that don’t require a ton of space is by the game library. It’s off from the rest of the tables and in a nook so it’s a bit quieter.

At least once per game we play there, someone goes up to the library, sees Queen’s Gambit: the Game, and announces in a loud voice, “Isn’t this just chess?” Usually they interrupt our game to say this, as we’re a captive audience.

I’d consider stealing the game and burning it, but I’m afraid of what the picture of Anya Taylor-Joy on the box’s side might think of me, specifically her batrachian yet striking eyes.

That is all.

I can absolutely imagine myself doing exactly this so apologies in advance

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

That's the deal breaker for me. I don't know if I would have backed at a cheaper price since I'm not getting many games to the table lately anyway, but I was interested enough to sign up for notifications, looked at the page when it launched, and then basically decided I'm okay with them making it a super easy decision for me by making it so expensive. I think on some level a lot of us still have price expectations from a lifetime without inflation until recently that aren't going to match with reality for a while, but even accounting for that I feel like they're asking for a lot. Maybe the components justify it, but at that price I'm not going to find out.

Yeah, I only bought the Kings Dilemma because I followed a really sketchy ad to a really sketchy website saying it had it for less than half price. That website didn't actually sell board games, and other than through the ad link it was impossible to find the game for sale. I took a punt, hoping that it was 'because' they'd hosed up with their goofy site and not actually made it available that they were having to try and give it away, and lo, it came good.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
king's dilemma MSRP is $90, queens kickstarter is $127 for game + expansion. doesn't seem "super duper more expensive" unless you're valuing the expansion at nothing

bobvonunheil posted:

I can absolutely imagine myself doing exactly this so apologies in advance

just hover over the other tables and ask what they're playing, then ask if they've heard of a game called Catan

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Anyone got thoughts on Foundations of Rome? I like the theme, I like the miniatures and the gameplay I've seen makes it seem like not as overly complicated as say, Dungeon Lords. Quick setup and good gameplay.

That said, it is 200 bucks, however. So any further opinions (or pointing me towards mechanically similar games) would be very much appreciated
?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Yo, just here reporting that the BGA implementation of Just One is essentially perfect. It's super fast, and it has one player each round select any non-exact matches the computer can't figure out.

Shoutout to the random maniac who put down "semen" as a clue for "Seed" in a game with total loving strangers from the internet.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does anyone have opinions on Betrayal at House on the Hill 3rd Ed vs Betrayal at Baldurs Gate?

Got a gift card for a store that normally doesn't stock games, but has them in stock

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I'll add my post in here also requesting more Betrayal 3 info:

Hollandia posted:

I know the thread doesn't love Betrayal at House on the Hill, but does the 3rd edition balance out any of the wonkier aspects (e.g. inconsistent quality of haunts)? Trying to work out if it's worth 'upgrading' from 2nd.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Hollandia posted:

I'll add my post in here also requesting more Betrayal 3 info:

I played it. It plays exactly like the last edition but the parts are slightly less fiddly. Thanks.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Anyone got thoughts on Foundations of Rome? I like the theme, I like the miniatures and the gameplay I've seen makes it seem like not as overly complicated as say, Dungeon Lords. Quick setup and good gameplay.

That said, it is 200 bucks, however. So any further opinions (or pointing me towards mechanically similar games) would be very much appreciated
?

It's a very good game, but mechanically speaking nothing required it to be as physically impressive as it is. I'm glad my buddy owns it, because I get to play it without spending the money, but I do wish a $60 cardboard only version existed.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

!Klams posted:

Gonna be playing The Kings dilemma this weekend, anything good to know before going in?

I've found it to be great fun and good value. It's certainly a pretty unique experience - a game for talking over terrible decisions with your friends and trying to swing things your way (whilst potentially tanking the kingdom in the process) and then watching as things get out of hand really quickly. Negotiation works much better than trying to math the game out. And lean into the role on your house screen.

The only other tip I have is that places and people get a bit confusing (because outside of each card, they mean nothing), so try and find some way to make them stick in your group's memory a bit. We made up stupid trivial pieces of information for characters and places sometimes to provide a bit of anchoring information, as the names are a bit fantasy-bland otherwise.

In terms of scoring for the winner of the campaign, a very light spoiler as I think the game rules should make this a little more clear: Good and bad points are generally equivilent, one isn't worth less than the other

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

king's dilemma MSRP is $90, queens kickstarter is $127 for game + expansion. doesn't seem "super duper more expensive" unless you're valuing the expansion at nothing

I haven't seen it as much as $90 since pretty much the month it launched. I got it from a FLGS for 100 NZD (about 60USD) and can get it for 90 again now that it's lowering in price.
130-160 euro is a significant increase (not even accounting for shipping that is going to be factored in to retail pricing) for what remains as a single use game. Even the "Deluxe" version doesn't make sense. Why would you want 140 wooden tokens that you can only use once. The whole thing is ripe for a recharge pack option which would 90% sway me in favour of getting this as a deluxe purchase if I knew 30USD or w/e could get me another whirl around without needing to rebuy the whole package.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
My group played through all of The King's Dilemma and we definitely felt like it had worn out it's welcome by the halfway point. Spoilers for some of the sticker spots in the rulebook: We had expected the stickers that go in the rulebook to be things that effected the rules and instead all we got were big lore dumps. For a legacy game, having the first game be effectively the same as the last and not having any idea of what they were aiming for because the scoring was fairly nebulous the whole way through was a bit frustrating. We also felt like there weren't really any consequences for our choices, certainly not on an individual level. Tentatively hopeful that the Queen's Dilemma fixes some of these problems but my gaming group is going to wait until retail and there are some reviews. It definitely looks like there are more individual consequences as each player is responsible for their own area which they will be upgrading and it looks like the stickers that go on the map do have rules changes.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006

KongGeorgeVII posted:

My group played through all of The King's Dilemma and we definitely felt like it had worn out it's welcome by the halfway point. Spoilers for some of the sticker spots in the rulebook: We had expected the stickers that go in the rulebook to be things that effected the rules and instead all we got were big lore dumps. For a legacy game, having the first game be effectively the same as the last and not having any idea of what they were aiming for because the scoring was fairly nebulous the whole way through was a bit frustrating. We also felt like there weren't really any consequences for our choices, certainly not on an individual level. Tentatively hopeful that the Queen's Dilemma fixes some of these problems but my gaming group is going to wait until retail and there are some reviews. It definitely looks like there are more individual consequences as each player is responsible for their own area which they will be upgrading and it looks like the stickers that go on the map do have rules changes.

Yeah I can definitely see that view. Storyline decision spoilers:A couple of the storyline ending cards had some fantastic effects - we chose to turn humans into gold, and the rule change that provided played out comedically every game afterwards. I wished each storyline had a similar game effect to freshen up the gameplay a bit, 10 games in or so.

Looking at The Queen's Dilemma, it looks like there will be more opportunties for wheeling and dealing, rule changes etc as well as more personal investment in the storyline, so I'm hopeful. Personally, I don't see a lack of a reset kit as an issue - I wouldn't play this through more than once anyway. My main complaint is with the writing: the daily story dilemmas haven't really shown an uptick in quality: they could desperately use an editor and/or someone to punch up the writing a bit. Many times in KD, I got confused after reading the card about what the hell we were actually voting for.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Spiteski posted:

I haven't seen it as much as $90 since pretty much the month it launched. I got it from a FLGS for 100 NZD (about 60USD) and can get it for 90 again now that it's lowering in price.
130-160 euro is a significant increase (not even accounting for shipping that is going to be factored in to retail pricing) for what remains as a single use game. Even the "Deluxe" version doesn't make sense. Why would you want 140 wooden tokens that you can only use once. The whole thing is ripe for a recharge pack option which would 90% sway me in favour of getting this as a deluxe purchase if I knew 30USD or w/e could get me another whirl around without needing to rebuy the whole package.

Sure, but you’re comparing the launch price of a game vs the sale price a few months later. By that math, Queens Dilemma will price at like $90 in a few months.

I don’t see what’s weird about wooden tokens. You’re dumping what, 60 hours into the game? That seems way past the point of worth improving the play experience, . I have “normal” games I haven’t put as much time into as I have some “once-through” games.

Unless you’re keeping a game for the rest of your life, all games have a lifespan.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

I don’t see what’s weird about wooden tokens. You’re dumping what, 60 hours into the game?
Their KS says 30+ hours with the expansion - which is rated as 5+ hours of content.

Count me on the side of "premium tokens are a joke unless you do a reset pack".

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PRADA SLUT posted:

Unless you’re keeping a game for the rest of your life, all games have a lifespan.

See, this is why I'm off a lot of games recently because I feel like I've got the games for "life" and a lot of the stuff I'm playing/buying recently are good... but not necessarily in the category of saving if the building is on fire. That said, I've played more Civ and 18xx than most of the rest of my library barring the earlier stuff I had before I became addicted more interested in the hobby. I don't see some games going anywhere but other stuff I look at and think how long I'll let you stay on the shelf gathering dust before offloading for another high.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Ok well as they’ve reached a stretch milestone, they just dropped the base price of The Queen’s Dilemma to $99 and all existing pledges now come with a reset pack.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

million dollar mack posted:

Ok well as they’ve reached a stretch milestone, they just dropped the base price of The Queen’s Dilemma to $99 and all existing pledges now come with a reset pack.

lol, I think we all got played on this one

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Third time in a row I've received a game with missing components. It's okay, at least I'll only have to wait for a month while they ship them to Europe :toot:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I expect all goons who complained about the price to now back immediately

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

I expect all goons who complained about the price to now back immediately
strong take

got Khora off the shelf for the first time today. not sure it's got a lot of legs at 2p, and i've got a gripe or two about the symbology, but the pacing and decision space was really good, and it absolutely does not overstay its welcome.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
BGN report from earlier this week.

First play of The Quacks of Quedlingburg for me and I didn't care for it. Kinda fun but too random with basically no interaction I might as well play Warp's Edge, a much better bag builder which is meant to be played solo. We just played the one game, I won, felt nothing about the victory, and we put it away.

Turns out I like deception games even more than I thought and just adored Secret Hitler. Neither game we played was particularly tight, with landslide victory for Liberals in the first game and an easy election to Chancellor for Hitler in the second but still tons of fun. I'd love to pick this up to play with family over the holidays but I can't justify it given the board games I've already bought. Especially when we'll already have One Night Werewolf and an expansion pack to play. Still, really fantastic.

One table had Marvel Champions going which I've been itching to try but they were capped at 4. Don't think they managed to finish the game. It's always compared to Arkham Horror TCG, what does the thread favor? If I pick up either - not any time soon - I'll be eyeing whichever plays better solo since the LGS has most multiplayer covered and I can only get friends and family to the table once a week or every other week (usually for two players) besides the holidays.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If you liked Secret Hitler, I do suggest checking out Resistance - I think it's my favorite "argue about things" traitor game.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Is there a trick to making One Deck Dungeon not a total minmax slog every playthrough? Or is that the design intent? I really like the format (I got the standalone forest expansion), but I feel like the balance is absolutely crushing unless you get lucky and manage to get easy encounters and early skills/items that synergize. Doesn't feel like there's a good way to circumvent an unlucky set of starting encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I've played The Resistance once, years ago, and Avalon once last month. Maybe it's the groups I've played with cause the game gets a lot of love but my experience is that deception takes a backseat to deduction in it whereas One Night is more deception and Secret Hitler is probably a happy middle. Something's not clicked with my plays, at least when I played Avalon recently the person who sold us on playing it ended by saying "well it's better with more people" which might be true but it didn't generate any excitement for anyone at the table even for them who calls it a fav. We played with five and I think the one from years back was the same, maybe six.