Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Madkal posted:

What happened to Gambit and Rogue though as they aren't mentioned at all in New X-Men? Was there another team running around during New X-Men?

Yep, they were in Claremont's X-Treme X-Men book at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Gambit and Rogue were in X-Treme X-Men.

e: beaten like the '90s/'00s readers who were expecting prime-era Claremont and got... something else

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, Claremont got the X-Men who weren't being used... except for Beast who he had to give up pretty quickly early on.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There was also Joe Casey's Uncanny which was... Logan, Iceman, Angel, Chamber, Nightcrawler, and his new character Stacy-X. Casey writes for 15 issues and an annual before giving way to Chuck Austen, who mixes up the team a bit and does a lot of completely insane things.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

There was also Joe Casey's Uncanny which was... Logan, Iceman, Angel, Chamber, Nightcrawler, and his new character Stacy-X. Casey writes for 15 issues and an annual before giving way to Chuck Austen, who mixes up the team a bit and does a lot of completely insane things.

Is he the one that decided mutants can't get AIDS?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
So these were going on concurrent to New X-Men? Did they address the Genoshan genocide more? Also outside of the Austen run any of those worth tracking down/reading?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And Angel and Husk gently caress

In the sky

With her entire family watching

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Madkal posted:

So these were going on concurrent to New X-Men?

Yep. I haven't read much of them yet myself, but X-Treme is probably worth a look as a time capsule.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

And Angel and Husk gently caress

In the sky

With her entire family watching

I have heard all the horror stories about Austen's run but for some reason I assumed it came after GMo's New X-men. I'm glad that there wasn't any bleed over between titles as I do hate the feeling I am getting half a story and I should be reading 5 other titles to understand what is going on (looking at your current Krokoan era books) but was wondering if there was other things going on while GMo basically reinvented/updated the X-Men franchise.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

I have heard all the horror stories about Austen's run but for some reason I assumed it came after GMo's New X-men. I'm glad that there wasn't any bleed over between titles as I do hate the feeling I am getting half a story and I should be reading 5 other titles to understand what is going on (looking at your current Krokoan era books) but was wondering if there was other things going on while GMo basically reinvented/updated the X-Men franchise.

They were two completely different worlds, despite Wolverine being in both books. It's thought Austen was trying to go hard on the Claremont-esque soap opera but he was really bad at it. Of course you also had X-Treme X-Men at the time which DID have Claremont-esque soap opera by Claremont himself and it was also not very good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

The Cerebro episode on Stacy X really made me interested in her, but it also made me feel like listening to that episode was better than actually reading her appearences.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone remember the name of the pre-knightfall batman comic where he has his back broken and has to transfer his mind into his GF/Nurse's brothers body to still fight crime?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Cassa posted:

Anyone remember the name of the pre-knightfall batman comic where he has his back broken and has to transfer his mind into his GF/Nurse's brothers body to still fight crime?

Detective comics 598-600

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Detective comics 598-600

Thank you!

Thought it was more standalone. Been compiling a lil pile of books that do the Bane thing pre-Dixon for a mate.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cassa posted:

Thank you!

Thought it was more standalone. Been compiling a lil pile of books that do the Bane thing pre-Dixon for a mate.

Did you grab the first appearances of Venom and and the first appearances of the island it is made?

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 28, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I remember reading some article on a Batman villain/story that was only maybe a couple years before Bane/Knightfall that reads like a trial run of it now.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I sometimes wonder how different it'd have been if they'd gone with something like KGBeast, who had already gone the distance with Batman before and never had a decent rematch.

Mr Hootington posted:

Did you grab the first appearances of Venom and and the first appearances of the island it is made?

Yeah I had that one, it's so good.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Lobok posted:

I remember reading some article on a Batman villain/story that was only maybe a couple years before Bane/Knightfall that reads like a trial run of it now.

Batman #400 had Ra’s spring all the criminals from Arkham and Batman had to run the gauntlet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Batman #400 had Ra’s spring all the criminals from Arkham and Batman had to run the gauntlet.

There was specifically a villain though, not one of his usual. He was big and I wanna say he had a hood?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lobok posted:

There was specifically a villain though, not one of his usual. He was big and I wanna say he had a hood?

Lmao come on

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao come on

What? I didn't come into the thread asking people to solve the mystery, I just mentioned it because Cassa reminded me of it and it's exactly the kind of thing they're talking about. Google is garbage now so I don't know if I'll ever find the article again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looks like it's that Bonecrusher guy, from the Detective Comics run mentioned above

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Detective_Comics_Vol_1_598

Agreed Batman #400 is also a really really cool comic, that was one of my fav stand alones.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lobok posted:

What? I didn't come into the thread asking people to solve the mystery, I just mentioned it because Cassa reminded me of it and it's exactly the kind of thing they're talking about. Google is garbage now so I don't know if I'll ever find the article again.

Cassa and I were talking about the exact run.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh ok, I didn't remember that all the elements were the same.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So I just saw this tweet and I'm wondering, who's the fourth?

https://twitter.com/DanSchkade/status/1586206596832452608?s=20&t=4jviLKaLqC0nRnM-JRTcug

There's Wanda, Pietro, Lorna and who else?

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/DanSchkade/status/1586206596832452608?s=20&t=4jviLKaLqC0nRnM-JRTcug

Anya

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Possibly Zaladane

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

Possibly Zaladane

Wow, I completely forgot about Lorna's sister. Has she ever popped up again after... gosh, what was it, Uncanny #275 or around there?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I think she died in her last appearance(killed by Magneto iirc) but that's hardly an impediment for a creative writer. If we want to add another name to the list there's technically also Alpha who has created by Magneto in a lab in an issue of The Defenders of all things.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Defenders is also where Magneto was turned into a baby, enabling 20 years of related Claremont fetishes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

Possibly Zaladane

Came to post this

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

How Wonderful! posted:

Possibly Zaladane

DC Database posted:

Zaladane claimed that her real name was Zala Dane

:hmmyes:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Anya, who died in a fire as a child when a mob prevented Mags from saving her.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I have a feeling it’s not worth tracking down all the books, so is there an explanation for going from “there are infinite earths now” after Metal to “omg Pariah is bringing back infinite earths” in Dark Crisis?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Beerdeer posted:

I have a feeling it’s not worth tracking down all the books, so is there an explanation for going from “there are infinite earths now” after Metal to “omg Pariah is bringing back infinite earths” in Dark Crisis?
It's not really explained well in any of the comics I've read, but the logic appears to be:

1. There were infinite earths in a multiverse, and that multiverse was destroyed in Crisis on Infinite Earths.
2-100. Then a bunch of stuff happened before Death Metal came along, which results in there being a new infinite Multiverse but it's not the same as the one from before Crisis on Infinite Earths.
101. In Death Metal, the Dr. Bathattan Who Laughs eats the creator of the Multiverse(s) Perpetua and then eats the new multiverse but Wonder Woman becomes a God who creates a brand new Infinite Multiverse! Death Metal also introduces the concepts of the Omniverse, which is a multiverse of multiverses.
102. Pariah sees all of this and goes "wait no, what if all of this means I can bring back the original multiverse that I accidentally helped destroy back in the day? If I create another new multiverse and have that multiverse kill the current multiverse, then I can use that energy to re-create the old one!"

The text itself does a terrible job of explaining that last part, but basically Pariah wants to destroy everything so he can recreate it in a 1985 style, erasing his culpability in destroying one multiverse by destroying multiple other multiverses.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
That actually makes sense as a motivation, thanks. Shame about the execution.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I already apologize for asking this but what the hell does a multiverse of multiverses even mean?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Madkal posted:

I already apologize for asking this but what the hell does a multiverse of multiverses even mean?

What's cooler than infinity? Infinity times infinity! (Double stamped, no erasies.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mark Waid made a post asking if there's anywhere documenting the current DC multiverse and was astounded that not only did this not exist, there doesn't seem to be any particular agreement on what even constitutes the current multiverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
why bother anymore when it gets blown up every three years