Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cretin90 posted:

My friend and I were playing support two nights ago and our genji would go murder their back line and then double jump and wall climb his way back to us and wait patiently right in front of us without asking for healing, then ping “Thanks” and run off again. It was very cute.

Yeah, almost always after I notice the "i need healing" line from a teammate and top them up with heals, they drop the "thanks" voiceline. It's very wholesome :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The thanks is automatic, I think, because I hear myself do it, but don't press it because it's in an awkward spot. I do, however, try to thank people during lulls. I still haven't figured out a good "that was kickass" acknowledgement button. There's the automatic "nice shot" thing, waving feels lame, but I wouldn't mind the characters having some sort of "drum up enthusiasm" button. Maybe limit it between rounds if people spam it too much.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Where is the "let's loving goooo" button blizzard??!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
played some bastion last night

our Bap put up his super wall and was yelling for people to shoot through it. i turned into tank mode and did exactly that and i could hear the relief is his voice as i shredded the enemy

does torb's turret work with the super wall?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Scholtz posted:

No I mean this WoW-party style HUD at the bottom left of the screen

It surprises me that this hasnt ever been added. Seeing ult charges and respawn times without needing to tab would be nice (because i don't care enough to tab).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Squeezy Farm posted:

It surprises me that this hasnt ever been added. Seeing ult charges and respawn times without needing to tab would be nice (because i don't care enough to tab).

itd be really nice

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

verbal enema posted:

Yes.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

verbal enema posted:

itd be really nice

too bad the framework for it is nowhere in the game's code

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

verbal enema posted:

played some bastion last night

our Bap put up his super wall and was yelling for people to shoot through it. i turned into tank mode and did exactly that and i could hear the relief is his voice as i shredded the enemy

Yes and the wall is placeable on the payload like the turret. You can have a (slowly) moving Payload of Wall + Turret Doom.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I have a problem with Baptiste where I'll do something that bumps my mouse a micrometer and suddenly my wall shoots to the other side of the firefight, sadly.

One time I had an actual flanker over there and it ruled, everyone knew that I didn't plan it.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Scholtz posted:

too bad the framework for it is nowhere in the game's code

As far as I know, omitting team status on the HUD in PvP is a deliberate decision. I don't understand the reasoning nor agree with the decision either, especially since as a tank you're always in the front and it's sometimes tough to tell what's going on behind you. I like the teammate death warning sound but it's not enough.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

novaSphere posted:

As far as I know, omitting team status on the HUD in PvP is a deliberate decision. I don't understand the reasoning nor agree with the decision either, especially since as a tank you're always in the front and it's sometimes tough to tell what's going on behind you. I like the teammate death warning sound but it's not enough.

At the very least I'd like them to give it to support. The positioning of each support character differs and it sucks to be one of the frontline ones and having to swing around just to check

Veryslightlymad posted:

I have a problem with Baptiste where I'll do something that bumps my mouse a micrometer and suddenly my wall shoots to the other side of the firefight, sadly.

One time I had an actual flanker over there and it ruled, everyone knew that I didn't plan it.

I think it'd be cool to have something where your teammates can "request an ult" and it'll prioritize them if you aim at them. I guess it'd be best for this to just be a feature in premade groups but it'd be cool if, say, a Soldier could request Baptiste's ult, and if you acknowledge it, aim at him, and ult, it'll already be positioned perpendicular to their position.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 28, 2022

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Kanfy posted:

It took me a couple of tries but Hard is definitely beatable with randoms, the ones above that you probably want at least some team cohesion for unless you get very lucky I guess. Also that part of the UI is kinda poorly designed, it should really show that you have x attempts remaining right away instead of just giving the "YOU FAILED" screen, I'm 100% sure a lot of people just slam quit when they see it every time without ever finding out that you can try again.

Still a bit mad I got denied a hard win with a team that was super chill and having a good time chatting and clearing poo poo super easily and we die 95% of the way through the witch fight and two people insta slam quit

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I quit OW1 before the replay functionality was in, and as someone who generally plays support it's good fun to see how you've ruined someone's BIG PLAY

It's the spray beforehand that tops it off

Got an "F U ZEN" for that one, which was gratifying.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Hero balance leaks were authentic.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/hero-balance-dev-update-28-october-2022/736297

quote:

With several weeks in the books, we’ve been so humbled and honored that over 25 million players have answered the call to Overwatch 2. With the live service now more stable, we’d like to take some time to focus on what we have planned for Hero balance in an upcoming game update, prior to the changes that we have planned for Season 2 (something we’ll have more to say on later).

While we talked about our plans for Season 2 in our previous Dev Blog 668, there are some Hero balance adjustments we’d like to make sooner. As promised, we’re focused on some tactical adjustments meant to bring current standouts like D.Va, Zarya, Genji, and Sombra more in line with the rest of the roster.

Sombra

- Hack ability lockout duration reduced from 1.75 to 1.5 seconds

- Hacked enemies are no longer valid targets for hacking for the duration of the effect

- Hacked damage multiplier reduced from 40 to 25%

Dev Comment: With Sombra’s rework, she gained a lot more damage to help account for the reduced ability lockout duration of Hack. This has proven to be too deadly for a flanker with easy access to the enemy backlines, and we’ve similarly had to address the damage output of heroes like Tracer, Reaper, and now, Genji, in the 5v5 format.

She can also no longer channel hack on an already hacked target as feedback indicated the reduced cooldown combined with hacking from stealth proved to be too frustrating for many players. This is essentially a per-target cooldown that enables Hack to keep its current 4 second cooldown for potentially hacking multiple targets.

Genji

- Maximum ammo reduced from 30 to 24

- Shuriken damage reduced from 29 to 27

Dev Comment: Genji is a Hero that has greatly benefited from the move to 5v5. Changing to a single Tank and the reduction of crowd control has meant Genji has had less obstacles in his way, however he hasn’t received tuning updates since he wasn’t actively in the meta until launch (something also informed by our general preference to avoid preemptive adjustments when possible). We also saw that, in early beta tests, other flanking Heroes such as Tracer and Reaper were also significantly more effective in OW2. These changes will bring Genji more in line with the other flanking damage heroes.

Zarya

- Barrier duration reduced from 2.5 to 2 seconds
- Barrier cooldown increased from 10 to 11 seconds

Dev Comment: Early player sentiment predicted Zarya as one of the weakest solo tanks in 5v5 though her high damage potential and barrier uptime have proven to be extremely effective. For opponents, feedback has indicated this can feel as though Zarya has very limited windows of vulnerability, which feels difficult to deal with when combined with her ramping damage potential.

These changes will reduce the barrier uptime, making it slightly more difficult for her to gain energy and will provide enemies with more time to deal damage to her.

D.va

- Fusion Cannon spread increased from 3.5 to 3.75
- Boosters impact damage reduced from 25 to 15

Dev Comment: D.va ended up feeling too deadly after the last round of changes given how resilient she can be with the improved Defense Matrix. Both our stats and high-level player feedback regarded her as not effective enough before that compared with other tanks, so this is a partial revert to establish some middle ground there.

Kiriko

- Swift Step invulnerability duration reduced from 0.4 to 0.25 seconds

Dev Comment: This invulnerability window is primarily intended to help avoid instantly dying to something unseen after teleporting through walls, but it ended up being a little too long and led to some confusion when shooting at Kiriko

Our current goal is to deploy these changes in an upcoming update on November 15th, 2022. Should that plan change, we will be sure to update you here. For those wanting a preview of how these changes will play, check out the Overwatch League Playoffs on October 30th.

Lead Hero Designer, Alec Dawson, will be hosting a Twitter Spaces later today at 11:00AM PDT on the PlayOverwatch Twitter 298, with a live Twitter Q&A to follow from his personal account, @gw_alec 215. We invite you to join us to go deeper about our current thoughts around live balance and Hero design.

November 15th and no Sojourn. Jesus.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 28, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Finished placements, ended up Gold 5 on tank/damage and Silver 5 on support.

I was diamond tank and plat damage/support in OW1, so nothing hugely surprising there. Hopefully I can improve my rank a bit with more play.

I am annoyed I had three losses spread across the past couple of weeks thanks to server disconnects that wouldn't let me rejoin, but moreso because of the (ever escalating!) suspensions that are coming with them. I don't know how many of those you get before a season ban, but boy I hope I don't find out!

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Countblanc posted:

It's very funny how the "I need healing" command has become a shorthand for toxicity, I remember pushing back against the idea that calling for medic in TF2 was annoying (speaking as someone who primarily played medic at the time) since it showed you useful info like the teammate's relative HP and location... but in OW it's just sort of agreed that pressing it is rude and will get you ignored. And honestly I sorta feel the same despite having the opposite opinion in TF2 and im not sure why

Rocket League has this too with the "Defending" quickchat, which was probably intended to be used to indicate they're going to sit back a bit so others can go offence, but of course they never mean it that way.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

surf rock posted:

Finished placements, ended up Gold 5 on tank/damage and Silver 5 on support.

I was diamond tank and plat damage/support in OW1, so nothing hugely surprising there. Hopefully I can improve my rank a bit with more play.

I am annoyed I had three losses spread across the past couple of weeks thanks to server disconnects that wouldn't let me rejoin, but moreso because of the (ever escalating!) suspensions that are coming with them. I don't know how many of those you get before a season ban, but boy I hope I don't find out!

I've been having the same issues. I went up to 20 hours before I decided to cut my losses and not risk competitive for now.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I don't remember if TF2 did that or not but in OW healers get notified automatically when someone is at low HP, so whenever someone actually presses the "Need Healing" button especially if they press it while not at low HP, then they're just actively disrupting my gameplay.
this doesn't automatically happen in overwatch

If someone is not playing directly in line of sight of the healers they should spam the need heals button whenever they need it. If a support looks around haphazardly and people don't need healing, that can cost like 2 or more well-aimed and centered shots they didn't do + more danger of the tank losing armor from missing some heals.

I mean any good support is going to realize players on their team aren't going to ask for heals (the vast majority of games), but it really does cut into the support's effectiveness for them to have to constantly look around.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 29, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Im typically am an 'i need healing' button hater because i mostly see it being spammed by dead or just respawned and coming out of spawn players but sometimes you get a genji ripping through the other team who pops up back in line of sight, presses it once and then bounces up and down like an excited dog before going back to their business and its adorable

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well I've encountered something that's come the closest to slightly tilting me: A Torbjorn in Deathmatch throwing his turret into the tree ledges in Paris and teabagging every person he killed and spamming "Bingo!".

The really annoying thing is he got 2nd.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does Overwatch 2 have SBMM in unranked? I know it used to (and probably still does) match you against people who were in groups if you were too but I don't know if they match skill too.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yes ow2 should be using sbmm in unranked like in ow1, although i speculate it's probably much more generous on backfills

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Why does Bastion have more health, armor, and do a shitload of DPS compared to all other dps?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Because he is cool

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Why does Bastion have more health, armor, and do a shitload of DPS compared to all other dps?

He's gigantic and slow.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Had a ~10k dmg/26k healing comp match as a gold 2 Bap in a mostly plat lobby that I lost earlier tonight (4-7 in my current batch of matches :rip:). That was a very deflating experience, but still a lot of fun. My brother was getting outplayed hard by the other DPS and was tilting the whole match when I told him he had the most deaths and kept feeding; kinda annoying lol. I don't think he belongs in plat lmao.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I was watching Averagejonas playing Doomfist and he seems to have some new move techs, that I wasn't aware of that are actually easy to pull off.

1. Seismic Slam -> cancel it with Power Block early to gain lot more height.
2. Rocket punch-> cancel it with Jump near end for more horizontal distance.
You can continue 2. with -> horizontal Seismic Slam for a fast long distance movement.

There's al some corner turning tech with Rocket punch involving jump canceling and mouse turning fast, but I can't do that very consistently.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

The thanks is automatic, I think, because I hear myself do it, but don't press it because it's in an awkward spot. I do, however, try to thank people during lulls. I still haven't figured out a good "that was kickass" acknowledgement button. There's the automatic "nice shot" thing, waving feels lame, but I wouldn't mind the characters having some sort of "drum up enthusiasm" button. Maybe limit it between rounds if people spam it too much.

That button would become so sarcastic so quickly. There's a "nice shot" button in rocket league and its like nails on a chalkboard

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm reasonably confident that game companies know that poo poo like league's ping system or "nice shot!" callouts are used to flame, but they probably see them as a low impact lever people can pull to vent frustrations and are fine leaving them as is (given that the alternative is more frequent and direct attacks in chat instead)

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Because he moves slower and has a massive awkward hitbox and his ult is kind of a meme probably

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Number two was always a thing.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Trying to climb gold is brutal.

The ranks above must be terrifying.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

spunkshui posted:

Trying to climb gold is brutal.

The ranks above must be terrifying.

Historically gold and plat are the most difficult ranks because there are too many variables for the matchmaking to accurately account for. Does someone have totally cracked-out aim but no game sense? Maybe someone plays at high plat or low diamond level but gets tilted easily and throws games often. Maybe someone has great game sense, but can't aim. There are too many things that can go wrong with players that are somewhat competent. You still have to be good enough to win games, of course; it's just gold and plat where the team factor is completely unpredictable.

Once you get to diamond, it gets way more consistent. in OW1, you'd generally see streamers who did unranked to GM runs lose most of their matches in either low plat or high masters.

Also, i'd imagine this first season is going to be somewhat of a shitshow with all the bugs and not bugs that are causing players to get ranked lower.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 29, 2022

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Yeah gold is like "there is an all-aim no-brain widow on the enemy team but your team isn't aware of the concept of cover or sightlines and keep impaling themselves on his crosshairs and tilting when they die"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I don't get why they took perfectly mediocre ults like Orisa's and Bastion's and made them aggressively worse

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
well bastion's is because its an ability now. i dont actually know what orisas old ult was

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Countblanc posted:

well bastion's is because its an ability now. i dont actually know what orisas old ult was

Nah.
Bastions old ult was the tank form with instakill turret blasts. That was way better than the new artillery form.
Orisa had the Bongos, with +50% damage boost for your team. Also way better than Spearnado.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Disagree on both. Orissas just needs to charge up like twice as fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I reactivated global chat and the first game I joined had a junkrat and an Ana slapfighting about their respective skills for the entire match. Made me laugh.