Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pentyne posted:

Instead of spending $20k on a bunch of used equipment you have no idea the condition of and would have to pay a premium to repair since you aren't the original owner and it's not under warranty, you could just buy the really important stuff new and not worry about literally every problem that comes will buying heavy duty use equipment second hand.

Not to mention what a service contract will cost with a response time that will get these things back up and running because not having them running literally shuts the store down.

Also not having any idea if your local service people know anything at all about that brand of equipment or stock spare parts for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

pentyne posted:

Instead of spending $20k on a bunch of used equipment you have no idea the condition of and would have to pay a premium to repair since you aren't the original owner and it's not under warranty, you could just buy the really important stuff new and not worry about literally every problem that comes will buying heavy duty use equipment second hand.

Gonna spend money on a dishwasher since fixing those is generally disgusting and I’m gonna spend money on a fridge because if that goes down I can be out of business until I restock.

But I don’t have to pay a premium for poo poo because I’m the dude restaurants generally pay the premium to. With a few exceptions commercial stuff is rock-solid as far as durability and has a bunch of sacrificial parts that you can swap with two crescent wrenches and a bit of ear wax.

I’ve been batting cleanup on a 1300-hand construction site for a year and a half now. I’m not scared of a thermocouple.

Go look what 20k would get you new. I can’t afford it. If I’m going to open in time I’ll need to dejankify some poo poo.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You're getting all the food-contacting surfaces of this used equipment passivated, right? You aren't going to just put a list of every known food allergen that ever could possibly have touched a used mixer on your menu and pray to god that no restaurant inspector asks for equipment certs, right? :haw:

Also, you're gonna make a donut eventually, right?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
The only thing you’ve accomplished, and you’re very proud of Getting It Done, is spending money on used equipment. You haven’t actually done anything, including producing a single test of the product you plan to sell.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
While you won't be the one paying the $300 minimum service visit charge, the issue pointed out is a lot of those machines will be incredibly hard to source parts for if at all, and if your plan is to just fix it as needed with elbow grease, then in addition to trying to work as a baker your also planning to be spending an unknown time working as a unpaid repairman for the store.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Sundae posted:

You're getting all the food-contacting surfaces of this used equipment passivated, right? You aren't going to just put a list of every known food allergen that ever could possibly have touched a used mixer on your menu and pray to god that no restaurant inspector asks for equipment certs, right? :haw:

Also, you're gonna make a donut eventually, right?

Hadn’t ever heard of that actually, thanks.

The process so far has been pressure washer then sanitizer then hose rinse then barkeeper’s friend. It looks passivated? Oh well, I’ll email my inspector.

Also yeah it looks like Sunday we’ll fry up 20 pounds or so of dough.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

pentyne posted:

While you won't be the one paying the $300 minimum service visit charge, the issue pointed out is a lot of those machines will be incredibly hard to source parts for if at all, and if your plan is to just fix it as needed with elbow grease, then in addition to trying to work as a baker your also planning to be spending an unknown time working as a unpaid repairman for the store.

drat I never realized I’d have to handle my business what…have I done?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Tetramin posted:

The only thing you’ve accomplished, and you’re very proud of Getting It Done, is spending money on used equipment. You haven’t actually done anything, including producing a single test of the product you plan to sell.

What are you doing lately?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

Hadn’t ever heard of that actually, thanks.

The process so far has been pressure washer then sanitizer then hose rinse then barkeeper’s friend. It looks passivated? Oh well, I’ll email my inspector.

Also yeah it looks like Sunday we’ll fry up 20 pounds or so of dough.

It might not be a requirement in your state. Guidelines depend on locality. Out here in CA, though, I'd need to do a chem-strip/passivate on contacting surfaces unless I want to say that used equipment with an unknown history had all possible things on it. TL;DR, do your research and go make some goddamned donuts.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

can't wait to see the donuts on sunday :)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

It might not be a requirement in your state. Guidelines depend on locality. Out here in CA, though, I'd need to do a chem-strip/passivate on contacting surfaces unless I want to say that used equipment with an unknown history had all possible things on it. TL;DR, do your research and go make some goddamned donuts.

Vendor, seeing a Jerry rigged setup- "you'd get arrested for doing it that way in Boston"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Rationale posted:

What are you doing lately?

Yeah nah this isn't the blistering comeback you think it is, bro

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I hope you really do make some donuts, making things is cool and good and Id like to hear about the experience and see the result of your first attempt, considering I will probably never make a donut myself

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Weatherman posted:

Yeah nah this isn't the blistering comeback you think it is, bro

I want to know so I can poo poo all over them

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Idk what state you're in, but have you figured out what kind of food handling certifications you need to get?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Yeah thanks

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
This thread is overflowing with anxiety riddled codependant crybabbies. Don't take it personal OP, a desperate need to obsess about others "problems" and offer a litany of suggestions to exert control is pretty much standard for how these threads go.

Way to go OP, I fuckin love local donuts.

FWIW I always expect to pay a little more than dunkin for local coffee and donuts on the east coast. Cali is different because every donut shop is some how the same store, same display case, same pink box with a different name on it and way fewer dunkin donutses. Good profits and frugality will let you replace the poo poo that breaks.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

This is fabulous.

quote:

FWIW I always expect to pay a little more than dunkin for local coffee and donuts on the east coast. Cali is different because every donut shop is some how the same store, same display case, same pink box with a different name on it and way fewer dunkin donutses. Good profits and frugality will let you replace the poo poo that breaks.

Donuts suck in CA, at least bay area. People are like, "omg there's fruity pebbles on it and a live chicken cooked into the bear claws!" but it's really just to mask that the place sucks at donuts for some reason so random-rear end novelty toppings are all they have to work with. Hell yeah, let me pay $7 for a single grocery-store grade donut. Support small (terrible) businesses! :haw:

Also, CarForumPoster - we're pissed at him because he hasn't even made a goddamned donut yet. I don't mean "on his new equipment." I mean ever.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Sundae posted:

Also, CarForumPoster - we're pissed at him because he hasn't even made a goddamned donut yet. I don't mean "on his new equipment." I mean ever.

And because OP is a stupid dick

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Powerful Katrinka posted:

And because OP is a stupid dick

I mean yeah, but we put up with a lot of dicks here if they actually know what they're talking about or follow through on things. Motronic is still here, after all. :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mostly this thread makes me angry because it keeps making me hungry for donuts, but the small local donut shop closed and I'm not about to debase myself by getting one from the grocery store.
With that in mind, I can point anyone who wants to move to a new location and sink money into an ill-advised venture towards an empty business location that still has a big donut logo on the front of the building

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Rationale posted:

You all keep acting like nothing I plan to do will work and then after the fact you act like it’s small potatoes so am I incapable of loving this chicken or do I have a slutty hen on my hands? It can’t be both ways, mr grumpy.

After what fact? The thing you have planned to do is make money, and you haven't done that yet. Nothing you have done has "worked", because work implies getting money for doing something.

Ok wait, it has worked for the people you gave money to. I don't want to count them out.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Donut trick: You can make meh cake donuts pretty good donuts but putting them in an air fryer with a light coating of PAM or spritz of cooking oil. Let it cool until inside is warm but outside is nice and crispy.

Also in Portland Maine there’s an amazing donut place called The Holy Donut that makes delicious donuts with potato flour.

I wouldn’t expect OP to have a running biz in under a month. As of 2 weeks ago he didn’t even have a machine to make donuts so idk why goons think he should’ve made donuts. If he wants to hoard cheap restaurant equipment and make baby steps, he’s allowed to. Many or most businesses start a similar way when you don’t have a loan.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CarForumPoster posted:

idk why goons think

He may be overplaying his hand a little (hard not to, most of us only get one shot, if that). But I'm with you, goons go over the top, like Tony G up in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1YOluDM3M

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The thing about second locations needed to come after a hilarious shot of some terrible and sad looking donuts imo to preserve the flow

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hallo spacedog posted:

The thing about second locations needed to come after a hilarious shot of some terrible and sad looking donuts imo to preserve the flow

I think he was a bit too subtle with going from having made a single donut out of prepackaged grocery store dough or whatever to making 20 lbs of dough for a test to see if he can make donuts.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Motronic posted:

I think he was a bit too subtle with going from having made a single donut out of prepackaged grocery store dough or whatever to making 20 lbs of dough for a test to see if he can make donuts.

He didn't actually make any donuts, he air-fried a tube of croissants

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sundae posted:

This is fabulous.

Donuts suck in CA, at least bay area. People are like, "omg there's fruity pebbles on it and a live chicken cooked into the bear claws!" but it's really just to mask that the place sucks at donuts for some reason so random-rear end novelty toppings are all they have to work with. Hell yeah, let me pay $7 for a single grocery-store grade donut. Support small (terrible) businesses! :haw:

Given how many 24hr cash only donut shops there are in Socal I've always been convinced they were money laundering fronts.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

He didn't actually make any donuts, he air-fried a tube of croissants

I deep fried them and they were real good

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Rationale posted:

I deep fried them and they were real good

So you’ll post pictures of lovely chairs that look like they came from the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906 but not of actual donuts you supposedly made?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

sticksy posted:

So you’ll post pictures of lovely chairs that look like they came from the San Francisco Earthquake of 1906 but not of actual donuts you supposedly made?

Yeah nobody had questioned my authenticity by the time we ate all the crescent doughnuts

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

Yeah nobody had questioned my authenticity by the time we ate all the crescent doughnuts

Making a can of Pillsbury is not an indication of one's baking abilities. It's like saying you're a chef because you can open a can of Campbell's soup

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pentyne posted:

Given how many 24hr cash only donut shops there are in Socal I've always been convinced they were money laundering fronts.

I wouldn't be too surprised. That's how I feel about half the small businesses I see up in the bay area. There's simply no way they're making rent from the actual services/products they sell. The money has to be coming from somewhere else (or I guess maybe they have a pre-paid lease they're waiting out and trying to cut their losses on before going out of business).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

OP the answer is "yes" and you should add burgers to the menu

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

As of 2 weeks ago he didn’t even have a machine to make donuts so idk why goons think he should’ve made donuts. If he wants to hoard cheap restaurant equipment and make baby steps, he’s allowed to. Many or most businesses start a similar way when you don’t have a loan.

(1) You don't need a 40L mixer to have made even one single donut at some point in your life. If the dude was some home baking hobbyist with a dream, I'd be a bit more on board with this because of the bold-texted part further down. He isn't, though. He's never made a real donut in his life, even at home. He's opened a pack of Pillsbury croissants and deep-fried them, and only after accumulating a shitload of gear IIRC. That's a pretty bad starting point. Also, honest-to-god, his posting style reminds me so much of manic-state Zaurg that I'd be only minimally surprised if an admin came in and confirmed it was an old-reg parachute. Nothing Zaurg-adjacent gets any points with me. I only had two real rules when I was BFC mod, and they were 'knock it off with gendered slurs' and 'gently caress Zaurg, gtfo.'

(2) Sure, you can hoard restaurant equipment and talk about your upcoming business on SA, but this is SA and we're gonna poo poo on you if you come across as an idiot. That's what we do.

Most food service places fail, and that's with a business plan and some kind of experience. Since he has the building already and an alternative income, his odds are way better because there's no rent to pay and he doesn't have to rely on donuts to pay the bills. That doesn't make it a good financial decision and it doesn't mean that it won't be a hobby business that loses money. If he has a blast, great, good for him. I wish him the best of luck (but am here with the popcorn for spectacular implosions). Even if he is able to break even on it, it's still a bad financial plan. He could also landlord the gently caress out of the building for minimal effort and probably equivalent/higher return.

Remember: The dilemma here isn't "risk it all on a donut business" vs "nothing." It's "risk it all on a donut business" vs "let someone else pay me rent while they risk it all instead."

Sundae fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 29, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Sundae posted:

I mean yeah, but we put up with a lot of dicks here if they actually know what they're talking about or follow through on things. Motronic is still here, after all. :v:

That's why I qualified that he's a stupid dick

CarForumPoster posted:

Donut trick: You can make meh cake donuts pretty good donuts but putting them in an air fryer with a light coating of PAM or spritz of cooking oil. Let it cool until inside is warm but outside is nice and crispy.

Yeah, that sounds viable for a business: give your hundreds of donuts an extra bake in your $80 air fryer from Walmart

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Yeah, that sounds viable for a business: give your hundreds of donuts an extra bake in your $80 air fryer from Walmart

Its for the thread peeps at home, not for the OP.

Sundae posted:

He's never made a real donut in his life, even at home. He's opened a pack of Pillsbury croissants and deep-fried them, and only after accumulating a shitload of gear IIRC. That's a pretty bad starting point. Also, honest-to-god, his posting style reminds me so much of manic-state Zaurg that I'd be only minimally surprised if an admin came in and confirmed it was an old-reg parachute.

(2) Sure, you can hoard restaurant equipment and talk about your upcoming business on SA, but this is SA and we're gonna poo poo on you if you come across as an idiot. That's what we do.

Since he has the building already and an alternative income, his odds are way better because there's no rent to pay and he doesn't have to rely on donuts to pay the bills. That doesn't make it a good financial decision and it doesn't mean that it won't be a hobby business that loses money. If he has a blast, great, good for him. He could also landlord the gently caress out of the building for minimal effort and probably equivalent/higher return.

Remember: The dilemma here isn't "risk it all on a donut business" vs "nothing." It's "risk it all on a donut business" vs "let someone else pay me rent while they risk it all instead."

Goons treat everyone who don't take their suggestions, good or bad as they may be, as an idiot. It's certainly made me defensive many times, so I can't help but empathize with OP.

I'm with you on this seeming a bit capricious. I take issue with forcing one person's view of what is needed to start a donut shop successfully. Does it ++ your expected value to be a SME with prior industry experience when starting a biz? Hell yea. Does OP have that? No. Does that mean he WON'T be successful? No. However it give him another, absolutely critical thing to do and I generally agree with the posters ITT who see the "derisking" steps a bit out of order.

Is this the best EV option he can do with this building? No. He also hasn't said "I want to make the best highest expected value decision measured purely on money"...so saying that is HIS dilemma is, as far as we can tell, untrue. Dude seems to want to build a donut shop, so I say lets help him do that. Offering a litany of suggestions then making GBS threads on him he doesnt take action on them right away.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 29, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

CarForumPoster posted:

A bunch of stupid things

"Find out if you like baking and are good at it" is immediately actionable. It's also just the most basic requirement that anyone should do before opening up a bakery where they will be the sole baker. Would you open up a plumbing business if you've never even unclogged a sink or toilet in your own home?

The OP is not admirable because he's sinking money into a business venture he knows nothing about. It's not admirable to ignore advice you've solicited. He doesn't deserve anyone's kudos when he's been an rear end in a top hat to people with experience and knowledge. You're stupid and irresponsible to encourage him to keep sinking money and time into a bakery when he doesn't even bake

Like, how do you even reconcile the sentiment that the OP is on the right path with the fact that he's literally never made a single donut, worked in good service, or baked even as a hobby? You might be the only person in this thread that's as dumb as Rationale, if not dumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/a/MGtYP7K

https://imgur.com/a/irTmwar

Rationale fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 29, 2022