Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gaius Marius posted:

Didn't they already make an Alex Cross movie a couple years ago

Yeah starring Tyler Perry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gaius Marius posted:

The Tyler Perry one was...jesus, 10 years ago, and the sequel was canceled. I don't think there's been one since then, and the books are mostly episodic (or were for the early books, I have no idea where he took them in recent years), so a TV show now makes perfect sense.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I mean NBC basically started the whole Must See TV thing with 2 hour blocks of comedy. What the hell are they thinking???

I'm guessing it's "Can we play in the Prestige TV playground too please?"

Comcast tried this before and it didn't work lol

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

In terms of Peacock originals? I'd highly recommend The Resort, and MacGruber is worth it if you liked the movie. I only watched a few episodes of Girls5eva but liked it. Haven't seen Dr. Death, Bust Down or Angelyne, but heard good things about them, and seen at least some good reviews of A Friend of the Family.

The Bust Down is good, although it's weird as hell. Like if you threw Community, It's Always Sunny and Atlanta in a blender. Neat though. Not remotely a fit for NBC or Peacock.

Also I'll throw in for Killing It. Good funny show that manages to pull off some shockingly good community lambasting American Dream stuff. Cool show.

If they really want to get rid of comedy then that's crazy because that's where most of their good shows are.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

If they really want to get rid of comedy then that's crazy because that's where most of their good shows are.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. They have what, Mr. Mercedes and.....?

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't they literally try to push peacock as being a comedy thing when they were launching the service? Like, I remember them running ads that were like "remember The Office? Frasier? 30 Rock? Seinfeld? those were all NBC shows! and now they're on peacock!"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah gonna second the love for The Bust Down and Killing It.

In terms of dramas, I really liked Brave New World (though it ends on an unresolved cliffhanger). A Friend of the Family is great, currently airing, miniseries. Angelyne is pretty good too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, AP Bio was going to be Peacocks big exclusive along with the Psych movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

They've been trying to make him a thing for years. Morgan Freeman played him in a couple of movies in the late 90s/early 00s.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Chloe Grace Moretz is also starring in The Peripheral, which I am enjoying so far.

Also a fantastic foil for Jack on 30 Rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_R1_oh0QoA

Laterite fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 28, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Argus Zant posted:

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't they literally try to push peacock as being a comedy thing when they were launching the service? Like, I remember them running ads that were like "remember The Office? Frasier? 30 Rock? Seinfeld? those were all NBC shows! and now they're on peacock!"

i'm still disappointed that the service isn't widely referred to as "the 'cock."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I might have spoke to soon about Slow Horses. The writing is getting lazy as the show tries to wrap up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not what I was expecting from the new season of Miracle Workers, but I'll definitely take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faSKbXQLsiU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol, I just watched that Simpsons episode people kept bringing up the other day, Lisa the Boy Scout.

What on earth.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Arist posted:

Lol, I just watched that Simpsons episode people kept bringing up the other day, Lisa the Boy Scout.

What on earth.

I saw this a while ago and it sold me on it:

https://twitter.com/nanglish/status/1579271623747596288?t=aSyTCos84bAAszddGChqIQ&s=19

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not what I was expecting from the new season of Miracle Workers, but I'll definitely take it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faSKbXQLsiU

I’m down! Last season I’m sure.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
holy poo poo the end of this week's pennyworth

:aaaaa:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Final two episodes of High School dropped.

Man that was a great show. Really hope it’s picked up for another season.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gaius Marius posted:

They've been making random Alex Cross movies for the last 25 years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did have a laugh while watching this week's Documentary Now where they were airing commercials for Cate Blanchett's new prestige movie while she was also playing a nice but slightly dim hairdresser on this comedy show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They've been making random Alex Cross movies for the last 25 years.

I mean, just 3, right? The 2 with Morgan Freeman a long time ago, and then the Tyler Perry one 10 years ago.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Future seasons of Doctor Who will be exclusive to Disney+ outside of the UK.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2022/tv/global/doctor-who-disney-plus-1235413640/amp/

LOL at BBC-A losing the most recognizable British TV IP.

Just came out that in addition to Disney getting exclusive streaming rights outside the UK, it's also going to be partially funding as well as having a creative input on the show. This is in addition to Sony, which owns RTD's production company.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So Doctor Who is now going to be a BBC/Disney/Sony co-production?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

So Doctor Who is now going to be a BBC/Disney/Sony co-production?
Where does Sony come in?

It looks like Disney+ is just the distributor outside the UK so my guess is BBC would still foot the bill for production (indirectly paid for in part by Disney+ distribution rights) and retain DVD rights (lol) and what not.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Sony owns the production company now, BBC owns the product itself. Disney is now chipping in to fund the production (this is not yet officially confirmed) as well as the rights to air it outside the UK (this is confirmed).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Teek posted:

Sony owns the production company now, BBC owns the product itself. Disney is now chipping in to fund the production (this is not yet officially confirmed) as well as the rights to air it outside the UK (this is confirmed).

From what I understand Disney is not directly paying for the show, just the international streaming rights (and I think, then, only for the revivial). The origin of the funding info is an "unamed source" cited in the Telegraph soooooooo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the article

https://twitter.com/TeleTVRadio/status/1585978414023860224

"New Dr. Who Derided by Fans as 'Well-produced, entertaining'"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know how people can just not like Ghosts. I dare anyone to understand the context of "let me ride you while you get sucked off" without seeing the show. You'll never figure it out.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Live action adaptation of the Doctor dropping off Death's Head at the Fantastic Four building when???

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how people can just not like Ghosts. I dare anyone to understand the context of "let me ride you while you get sucked off" without seeing the show. You'll never figure it out.

I love the movie Ghost with Swayze at least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is awesome

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
Just binged through The Devil's Hour (Amazon Prime) and I really enjoyed it. I'm not really one for horror- but it's not that, despite being creepy. What it is is a intriguing sci-fi series that all comes together at the end, and it's really well acted. Peter Capaldi knocks it out of the park as the antagonist, and while I can't say I remember Jessica Raine from anywhere else I thought she did a great job as the main character, and the kid they got for the creepy kid part for wonderfully as well.

It's a good mix of mystery and just enough sci-fi to hang together well. If you're into that sort of thing, try it out. By about the third episode I was hooked.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ooh poo poo, Peter Capaldi? Yeah, I'm in.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dr.Who fans certainly have a right to be leery of a US attempt, after the adaptations of Red Dwarf, Coupling, The IT Crowd, Fawlty Towers (3x), Young Ones, and Taskmaster.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Dr.Who fans certainly have a right to be leery of a US attempt, after the adaptations of Red Dwarf, Coupling, The IT Crowd, Fawlty Towers (3x), Young Ones, and Taskmaster.

And doctor who

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Don't forget Life on Mars and The Prisoner.

God, the US versions of those were loving GARBAGE.

EDIT: Really the only successful US adaptation of a British show was The Office and even then it was less of an adaptation and more of a completely different show that happened to share the same name.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You don’t remember the Fox Dr. Who movie where Sylvester McCoy got caught in the crossfire between crips and bloods shooting each other and turned into Paul McGann?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

the attempt at would i lie to you is rather decent imo at least!

also whose line :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finished the Mole and I thought it was quite good. The ending montage could've used a bit more behind the scenes unseen footage but overall I was satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
They made an American version of Coupling? Wasn't Coupling just "Friends except British and maybe slightly naughtier"?