Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I like Kojima but he really needs to cool it with the ego poo poo he's not as amazing as he thinks he is and his next game is not going to change how people think about video games.

idk at this point the delusional hubris is part of the appeal.

And he is kind of as amazing as he thinks. But also his games have as much stupidity and bugfuck insanity as brilliance, in equal extremes. It’s what makes them so fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
His next game will be called Kojeezus

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

it would be cool if he was less online, but his games own so i guess he's earned it

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
He's got two games going on rn, Overdose, which might be the elle fanning/horror/maybe vr game (title screen assets got leaked and the 3 dot logo links up with what kojima has been teasing with his "who am i" stuff) and death stranding 2 (project ocean from that sony leak)

The m$ game is gonna be that cloud game idea he tried to get going on stadia (they turned him down lmao) but i think thats jusy in pre planning stages right now

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

veni veni veni posted:

17 hour cutscenes of two characters talking about complete nonsense.

That’s just MGS4

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Anyway sorry superstar goons, gonna have to get leaks from elsewhere for now cos i feel little hosed up for awhile and wanted to do something dumb last night and i need to maybe be less online myself lol.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Kojima changed the way people feel and think about video games like 2 decades ago. He already achieved something most never get a chance to do.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 29, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

Anyway sorry superstar goons, gonna have to get leaks from elsewhere for now cos i feel little hosed up for awhile and wanted to do something dumb last night and i need to maybe be less online myself lol.

Hope everything's okay and you feel better soon homes, I always appreciate your energy and good nature itt. Everyone needs/deserves a vacation from the online life when poo poo gets rough. We'll see ya when we see ya :)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kaycee's Mod is so fuckin hard. I've really had to git gud and start thinking long term about sigil experimentation. A few things I really love: a strong warren with a bees nest sigil, a cat with a goatblood sacrifice sigil, and the strange larvae with an unkillable sigil. I'm on challenege level 3 and have been doing things with the game that I never imagined before. Wild. I really hope the dev keeps supporting it with future content because the base game is so fun and interesting with such a cool atmosphere. What a great game.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

RichterIX posted:

Speaking of this, how did this end up? I remember being a little put off by the change in art style but I'd love to re-play these if it ended not being a huge issue.

It’s good. I skipped klonoa on the ps1/2 but played the collection and ended up platinuming it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vikar Jerome posted:

Take care of yoself vikar :)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Endwalker: they named the dumb spaceship Ragnarok and not Big Whale I'm literally jumping up and down mad as heck rn

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's enough FF8 references in Endwalker for it to count

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

17 hour cutscenes of two characters talking about complete nonsense.

It owns so much, the game would be so much more lame if it was the same but with all of the cheesy cutscenes removed for fixed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I like Kojima but he really needs to cool it with the ego poo poo he's not as amazing as he thinks he is and his next game is not going to change how people think about video games.

He is and it is.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Should I get signalis. I'm not super into games with limited ammo resources personally but the story and design seems my jam

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Should I get signalis. I'm not super into games with limited ammo resources personally but the story and design seems my jam

the inventory limitations get brutal but the game is outstanding, best horror I’ve played in years

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

WaltherFeng posted:

Kojima changed the way people feel and think about video games like 2 decades ago. He already achieved something most never get a chance to do.

Yeah, his personality is so huge and his ego so absurd that it kind of drowns things out, but few people had as big an impact on the medium as him. Especially in the last couple decades.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oxxidation posted:

the inventory limitations get brutal but the game is outstanding, best horror I’ve played in years

Neat imma get it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the problem isn't ammo, the problem is that by the time you have a gun, some ammo for it, a healing item, and an equipment item, you have fewer open inventory slots than you have puzzle pieces to keep track of. You find yourself leaving a key in place because you already have another key you haven't found a use for, or going back to the save room just so you can make room to pick up some ammo and then going back to the save room again to put it in the stash because you can't load it into your gun

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 29, 2022

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

Yeah the problem isn't ammo, the problem is that by the time you have a gun, some ammo for it, a healing item, and an equipment item, you have fewer open inventory slots than you have puzzle pieces to keep track of. You find yourself leaving a key in place because you already have another key you haven't found a use for, or going back to the save room just so you can make room to pick up some ammo and then going back to the save room again to put it in the stash because you can't load it into your gun

I bought this, and I’m excited to play it, but I hate poo poo like this.

Resource scarcity and limited inventories are cool, because they force you to be mindful about what you’ll actually need when in a hostile environment.

But backtracking after you’ve covered an area multiple times, knowing exactly what you need but lacking the space to carry it, running past enemies better juked than fought, that is all kind of the opposite of scary.

I certainly won’t complain about it in this specific game. First I’ve not played it yet and second, the creators are doing a deliberate sendup of late 90s survival horror. But sendup or no, some trends in mechanics were abandoned for a reason.

If a harsh inventory limit like that actually succeeded at its goal, I’d be all for it. But it sounds like it ends up draining all the tension out of the experience if it gets that bad.

E: To propose an actual solution that keeps the spirit of the mechanic, I wish games would just make all puzzle components key items that have their own separate inventories, but keep the limited inventory, and offer a wide enemy variety plus bespoke equipment that might make some baddies easier while perhaps making others tougher to deal with. Then you get to keep the tension of having inefficient or even detrimental equipment in some situations, while never needing to play the shuffle game just for simple progression.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 29, 2022

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, his personality is so huge and his ego so absurd that it kind of drowns things out, but few people had as big an impact on the medium as him. Especially in the last couple decades.

Publically, sure. The other guys who are doing things that impact the industry in huge ways tend to do it pretty quietly since that spotlight loving sucks. Look how people treat the random Bungie staff members whose names they know. I swear to gently caress, entertaining you motherfuckers is incidental to making things because making things is cool and good and there few people who actually let you feel like they're happier really feels like winning the loving lottery.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

I bought this, and I’m excited to play it, but I hate poo poo like this.

Resource scarcity and limited inventories are cool, because they force you to be mindful about what you’ll actually need when in a hostile environment.

But backtracking after you’ve covered an area multiple times, knowing exactly what you need but lacking the space to carry it, running past enemies better juked than fought, that is all kind of the opposite of scary.

I certainly won’t complain about it in this specific game. First I’ve not played it yet and second, the creators are doing a deliberate sendup of late 90s survival horror. But sendup or no, some trends in mechanics were abandoned for a reason.

If a harsh inventory limit like that actually succeeded at its goal, I’d be all for it. But it sounds like it ends up draining all the tension out of the experience if it gets that bad.

E: To propose an actual solution that keeps the spirit of the mechanic, I wish games would just make all puzzle components key items that have their own separate inventories, but keep the limited inventory, and offer a wide enemy variety plus bespoke equipment that might make some baddies easier while perhaps making others tougher to deal with. Then you get to keep the tension of having inefficient or even detrimental equipment in some situations, while never needing to play the shuffle game just for simple progression.

The only way limited inventory has any real consequence is if it is truly limiting.

I'm talking about a choice of bringing extra ammo or a healing item because you can't carry both.

I don't disagree separating key item and inventory slots but the latter needs to be very limited or else you'll just have double the inventory.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Heavy Metal posted:

I think Hideo has a fun perspective, and his enthusiasm is really cool. I get how ego can come across in a way that bugs folks, and big claims, it is always fun to make Todd Howard jokes etc. I think when Hideo does it it's in this genuine and chill way that is really fun. He's certainly a unique guy, and he's our hero.

:yeah:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Quote is not edit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I agree with that. Sure, Kojima can be pompous on occasion, but it always comes from a place of fun and passion.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

I agree with that. Sure, Kojima can be pompous on occasion, but it always comes from a place of fun and passion.

Yeah it never comes across as arrogant at all to me. It’s genuine passion and confidence behind what he’s doing and that’s a very cool thing imo. He obviously loves every second that he’s been able to do what he’s doing. Doesn’t seem to take any of it for granted.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kojima’s only misstep was trying to claim Quiet being basically naked all the time was deeply meaningful instead of just him wanting to have a basically naked lady in his game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I regret my words and deeds idk about you

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

History Comes Inside! posted:

Kojima’s only misstep was trying to claim Quiet being basically naked all the time was deeply meaningful instead of just him wanting to have a basically naked lady in his game.

I think he’s telling his truth there but he should embrace his horny and admit that she was hot and he likes hot people and looking at them in his games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Kaycee's Mod is so fuckin hard. I've really had to git gud and start thinking long term about sigil experimentation. A few things I really love: a strong warren with a bees nest sigil, a cat with a goatblood sacrifice sigil, and the strange larvae with an unkillable sigil. I'm on challenege level 3 and have been doing things with the game that I never imagined before. Wild. I really hope the dev keeps supporting it with future content because the base game is so fun and interesting with such a cool atmosphere. What a great game.

You'll definitely learn to break the game in ways you'd never have thought were possible and it will totally make you reconsider what cards and sigils are actually good.

My only complaint is that after about level 5 it becomes more about pruning your deck than building it since a bad hand can be death. It really becomes about doing everything in your power to ensure you can never get a bad draw.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, I am assuming you've figured out the secret of the ringworm card by now?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 29, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

that wasn't his only misstep but it was probably the worst one, along with the Paz poo poo in Ground Zeroes. his games are typically sexist after the fashion of 80s anime but those two examples are particularly vile

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

You'll definitely learn to break the game in ways you'd never have thought were possible and it will totally make you reconsider what cards and sigils are actually good.

My only complaint is that after about level 5 it becomes more about pruning your deck than building it since a bad hand can be death. It really becomes about doing everything in your power to ensure you can never get a bad draw.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, I am assuming you've figured out the secret of the ringworm card by now?

I've definitely noticed it's as much about avoiding late deck bloat as it is about early sigil/totem gathering, yeah, truly challenging stuff.

And no, I never figured out ringworm.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

WaltherFeng posted:

The only way limited inventory has any real consequence is if it is truly limiting.

I'm talking about a choice of bringing extra ammo or a healing item because you can't carry both.

I don't disagree separating key item and inventory slots but the latter needs to be very limited or else you'll just have double the inventory.

Yeah, exactly. I’m imagining a scenario where you might have multiple weapons with varying ammo types. Maybe certain guns can’t be silenced and make noise, which could draw enemies. May be the flares that I’ve heard are in the game throw a lot of light, which would attract other enemies that are drawn to light stuff. I don’t know. Just spit balling. The point is, I feel like those choices should be interesting. Tactical ones, with no correct answer.

I suppose you could obviate some of this with an interesting map design, too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I really hate that I find act 3 of Inscryption so tedious. I really want to see where the story goes but nothing about this part really does it for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It helps to have a super broken card by then

that wasn't his only misstep but it was probably the worst one, along with the Paz poo poo in Ground Zeroes. his games are typically sexist after the fashion of 80s anime but those two examples are particularly vile

He just loves southpark its called homage

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really hate that I find act 3 of Inscryption so tedious. I really want to see where the story goes but nothing about this part really does it for me.

Yeah, that's too bad, I loved the third act personally

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And no, I never figured out ringworm.

feed it to the campfire people and they will all die, leaving you free to buff whatever you want for the rest of the run.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah, that's too bad, I loved the third act personally

What did you like about it? It’s always nice to hear someone with a positive perspective on something I don’t vibe with. Maybe it will help it click for me :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s this new loving Marvel card game on phones and it works a bit like act 3 of Inscryption (with the energy levels etc) and because of that I may actually kind of end up getting into it