Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
The ink stain from where I spilled two mls of sailor nanoblack on the work sink is almost gone, lol. That sure taught me to only uncap my travel bottle when I'm actually ready to fill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I check on this thread every so often, because I'm fascinated by the pens.

That said, I've no interest in calligraphy proper. I'm an artist, and my interest is in inking my work. I've used a variety of methods, but haven't tried a fountain pen.

Are there any this thread can recommend?

Also, for the colored inks, it's good practice to handle them like highly pigmented paints and wear gloves, right? It's still astoundingly easy to poison yourself with art supplies, even though we dropped lead from paint long ago. I'm probably going to die from using too much cadmium red or something one day.

I apologize if I've asked before, I checked a few pages back to make sure I didn't.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DicktheCat posted:

Also, for the colored inks, it's good practice to handle them like highly pigmented paints and wear gloves, right? It's still astoundingly easy to poison yourself with art supplies, even though we dropped lead from paint long ago. I'm probably going to die from using too much cadmium red or something one day.

I apologize if I've asked before, I checked a few pages back to make sure I didn't.

I have never worn gloves while handling fountain pen ink and it gets all over my fingers on a good day. I hope I haven't given myself permanent kidney damage or something.

Looking up "refilling fountain pen" on google images shows a lot of hands and no gloves.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
It's new Delta (adjacent) day today! Hooray!

A lovely Leonardo Momento Zero in... yeah, I have no idea what the finish is. Also my Pixel 6's color accuracy sucks poo poo. The pen is a lot more green than blue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DicktheCat posted:

That said, I've no interest in calligraphy proper. I'm an artist, and my interest is in inking my work. I've used a variety of methods, but haven't tried a fountain pen.

eh for mainstream fountain pen inks (I'd go so far as to say this includes noodler's, at least as far as 'within the fountain pen world' is concerned, for the purposes of assuming they're not loaded with organophosphates or something) if any were toxic on skin contact you'd have a real problem using them in probably any fountain pen since it gets all over especially if you're left handed.

For cleanliness? Yeah definitely use gloves with certain notorious colors (baySTAAAATE) because they're just a gigantic pain in the rear end to clean and will irreversibly dye the pen you keep it in, but it ain't gonna give you radium (the radioactive element) hands.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

DicktheCat posted:

ooh, my main area of interest!

the obvious (and sane) option: is to point you towards the tools manga artists use, Zebra G nibs and the like, with associated holders and ink. JetPens stocks these and has a couple very useful guides on the subject [1][2]

the pricy option: my personal mainstay right now is a 3776 Platinum Century Soft Fine modified by nibs.com with their Flex + Elastic option. if money is no object, i think a Soft Fine 3776 with the stock nib is way ahead of the pack in terms of feel, the resistance inherent to it gives you a slightly more brushlike feel that you can get nowhere else, and even without modifications it has an acceptable amount of flex, if your lines are not meant to be too thick. the modifications i got enhance both of those aspects, but they are not at all necessary. (i keep meaning to make a post about this pen...)

budget options: depends on whether line variation is needed, but the cheapest easily available flex nip is the FPR Flex/Ultra Flex nib with a FPR pen, and the BlueDew pens. if flex is not a concern i personally quite like the Mahjong C1 ($30~), and if you like it you can upgrade it with other nibs, like i did with a Knox Double Broad nib ($20) i got from Birmingham Pens.

for inks i use Platinum Brun Sepia, which i love for linework on watercolors. maybe Platinum Carbon Black would be more your speed.

Ramie fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 21, 2022

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks, everyone, for the info! I really really appreciate it, and it's really heartening that so many of you are willing to give it!

catgirlgenius posted:

the obvious (and sane) option: is to point you towards the tools manga artists use, Zebra G nibs and the like, with associated holders and ink. JetPens stocks these and has a couple very useful guides on the subject [1][2]

the pricy option: my personal mainstay right now is a 3776 Platinum Century Soft Fine modified by nibs.com with their Flex + Elastic option. if money is no object, i think a Soft Fine 3776 with the stock nib is way ahead of the pack in terms of feel, the resistance inherent to it gives you a slightly more brushlike feel that you can get nowhere else, and even without modifications it has an acceptable amount of flex, if your lines are not meant to be too thick. the modifications i got enhance both of those aspects, but they are not at all necessary. (i keep meaning to make a post about this pen...)

budget options: depends on whether line variation is needed, but the cheapest easily available flex nip is the FPR Flex/Ultra Flex nib with a FPR pen, and the BlueDew pens. if flex is not a concern i personally quite like the Mahjong C1 ($30~), and if you like it you can upgrade it with other nibs, like i did with a Knox Double Broad nib ($20) i got from Birmingham Pens.

for inks i use Platinum Brun Sepia, which i love for linework on watercolors. maybe Platinum Carbon Black would be more your speed.

I also want to thank you, in specific for this post- it is very informative! I've used dip pens in the past, and enjoy them, but I'm glad to hear there are options with a reservoir.

I'm likely to try the Mahjong C1, simply because I'm very likely to screw up the first one I buy, as a novice. Getting used to a new tool is important, but I'll keep in mind the limitations regarding variation and line weight.

Once I'm used to it, I'll upgrade to a higher tier pen. I'm hardly loaded, but materials related to my craft are the one thing I'll spend on. My drip: wack. My car: wack. My computer: literally took a loan to optimize it for my programs.

I'm not likely to buy a pen that costs more than my computer, though, to be fair.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DicktheCat posted:

I'm not likely to buy a pen that costs more than my computer, though, to be fair.

give it time

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

catgirlgenius posted:

(i keep meaning to make a post about this pen...)

I would love to read such a post! I'm very interested in fountain pens that can vary the line thickness closer to a G-nib is that's a thing

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

catgirlgenius posted:

the pricy option: my personal mainstay right now is a 3776 Platinum Century Soft Fine modified by nibs.com with their Flex + Elastic option. if money is no object, i think a Soft Fine 3776 with the stock nib is way ahead of the pack

Have you ever tried a Pilot #15 FA? Imo, it's the Platinum SF, but more so. It's also even pricier than a Platinum, especially if you add in the cost of an ebonite feed that really helps the pen keep up with the nib's ink demands.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Osprey pens makes fountain pens that take Zebra G nibs, if that’s something you’re interested in.

Personally I found it to be too much flex for me; I couldn’t control the line width very well. Fountain Pen Revolution’s Ultraflex is the sweet spot of flex for me.

Having tried both FPR and Bluedew, I prefer the FPR flex nibs - the Bluedew was noticeably scratchier and felt “bad” to my hand.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

but it ain't gonna give you radium hands.

as a professional computer toucher, radium hands would be fatal to my career

as it is, I guess I should still be careful with my baystate blue, though

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

For inking my art I use only Platinum Carbon Black as I like the idea of a pigment ink, I will absolutely check out Brun Sepia although it looks a bit light to my taste. I put this ink in a TWSBI 580 with an F nib if I want fine lines and use a kuretake sable brush pen with a converter for any line variation. Due to the waterproof nature of Carbon Black, I also use it when I do sketch journaling as I often add in shadows and color with markers. I could use fineliners but I really enjoy drawing with fountain pens, if only so they get a lot of use. check out my blog at catropy.com for more examples, almost all the linework is done with either a fountain pen or a brush pen.
A dip pen is simply not an option as I do a lot of painting and drawing on the go and I dont want to mess around with bottles for obvious reasons. I would like to claim to do Urban Sketching but don't go out as much as I would like, something with kids and work and family life keep me bound to the home quite a bit for now.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Pretty sure tachikawa or someone makes disposable fountain pens that use g-nibs, I've seen them on jetpens for like $6–10, I think? Probably worth a whirl instead of one of those fountain pens that use them, if only because they're cheaper. Can't speak to how well they work, I've not bought one because it would end up like the brush pen I bought on a whim, where I use it for a bit and then it vanishes somewhere.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I have never needed anything as badly as I need this goddamn Jigglypuff pen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Goddamn that actually owns

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
They have a bunch of starter Pokémon. Now to figure out a way to get them in the US.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

fischtick posted:

They have a bunch of starter Pokémon. Now to figure out a way to get them in the US.

yeah these dont' look easily avalibale in the us so you gotta find a place willing to ship. ebay has em at 2x teh price.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Good news is that INKHOUSE (linked above) has an English version of their website AND apparently will ship to the US. Looks like this is a pre-order that doesn't start shipping until sometime in November.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Why is there no :psyduck:??

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Love the Pokemon pens.

A friend visited yesterday having been in The Netherlands recently and brought me a gift.

A good start. I had asked her to pick me out any colour she liked, and she chose Trêves-Turquoise, which is lovely, if a little lighter than I would have bought myself (making it the perfect gift, of course.)

Akkerman uses these bottles with a marble in the neck to allow the user to get the very last drop out of a bottle.

Choose your fighter - http://akkerman.ink/

They also have on that site some LE inks based on colours used by old Dutch painters. Some lovely stuff.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

You left out the most important one! They also make SBRE Brown.
imo, Shocking Blue is the real standout of the Akkerman line. It's a more well-behaved Nitrogen. I also like Steenrood Van Vermeer in the Dutch Masters line quite a bit (though it looks almost identical to Diamond Ancient Copper) and Vermeer's Kobaltblauw is a fascinating blue that I still can't quite decide if I like or not.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I lived in The Hague for 6 or 7 years and this was a wonderful trip down the memory lane of The Hague culture.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Keetron posted:

I lived in The Hague for 6 or 7 years and this was a wonderful trip down the memory lane of The Hague culture.

I can dig that. Then, here - the photos she sent when she bought the ink.

(She didn;t buy me the one in the last two pics!)

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Teach posted:

(She didn;t buy me the one in the last two pics!)

:sever:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If I really like the slight feedback I get from sailor pens, is there another brand out there at a similar price point with a similar feel? I like it so much I’ve been contemplating getting another, but it seems silly to just have two of the same pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I AM GRANDO posted:

If I really like the slight feedback I get from sailor pens, is there another brand out there at a similar price point with a similar feel? I like it so much I’ve been contemplating getting another, but it seems silly to just have two of the same pen.

Aurora

Also, new Delta day today! Hooray!

A Delta Giulietta Sprint Special Limited Edition

Made for the 50th anniversary of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint. It looks weird as hell and I love it. 18k nib piston filler, and the two metal insets are sterling silver.

No, I have no idea what's going on with the clip other than it doesn't line up with anything when the cap is fully closed down.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

No, I have no idea what's going on with the clip other than it doesn't line up with anything when the cap is fully closed down.

it's Italian that's what's going on with it

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

grack posted:

I think it's this?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Teach posted:

I can dig that. Then, here - the photos she sent when she bought the ink.
Thank you! It made me realize that this shop is only an hour drive away from where I live now, but there is a shop in Amsterdam with the same name that is even closer but they have not such a rich ink display, all inks are behind the counter. Weird tho, I wonder if they are of the same owner or if this is a family thing.

btw, this country is very small, this shop: https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/ is about 90 minutes drive. So yes, three very well assorted pen and ink stores within 90 minutes drive from my house and I still order most stuff on the internet.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I have a sailor I do not use, I dislike the feedback.

This will have to ship from the Netherlands, open to a reasonable offer incl shipping.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Keetron posted:

btw, this country is very small, this shop: https://www.lacouronneducomte.nl/ is about 90 minutes drive. So yes, three very well assorted pen and ink stores within 90 minutes drive from my house and I still order most stuff on the internet.

About that https://www.faillissementen.com/failliet/297074/la-couronne-du-comte-bv

They went bankrupt.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Keetron posted:

Thank you!

This will have to ship from the Netherlands, open to a reasonable offer incl shipping.

My pleasure!

Is that a Sailor Pro Gear Slim Vega? What's the nib width, please? NM I'll PM you!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That's a shame, I liked how they'd gift wrap your order.

Speaking of Low Country fountain pen concerns, did Conid ever start up again?

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

howe_sam posted:

That's a shame, I liked how they'd gift wrap your order.

Speaking of Low Country fountain pen concerns, did Conid ever start up again?

They did. They are selling through Antwerp Pen now and in batches instead of their old model of everything being customizable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m back for more advice. I’m cleaning my pilot 823 and have just left it to dry, upright and wrapped in a paper towel. Do I leave the plunger up or down?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m back for more advice. I’m cleaning my pilot 823 and have just left it to dry, upright and wrapped in a paper towel. Do I leave the plunger up or down?

It's going to be filled with a water-based ink sooner or later anyway, it shouldn't really make a difference so long as there isn't a ton of moisture left in there when you fill it again to keep from diluting the ink.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thanks!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

poo poo, that explains why the stuff I had in backorder was taking so long. That is €100 I will never see again (some inks and a Kaweko pen). It also explains why the website is not accepting payments. Too bad, I always liked that place.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Keetron posted:

poo poo, that explains why the stuff I had in backorder was taking so long. That is €100 I will never see again (some inks and a Kaweko pen). It also explains why the website is not accepting payments. Too bad, I always liked that place.

You might be able to get it reversed.