Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Koirhor posted:

The CTR is probably the better car imo

maybe to drive fast but the GR looks better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The fact that the GR has 235/40R-18 as the stock wheel size instead of 245/30R-20 for the old CTR and 265/30R-19 for the new CTR makes it infinitely more practical to drive.

A) Have you priced tires lately?
B) Potholes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My smart long-term 185/60R15 strategy continues to pay off

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Miata?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sagebrush posted:

My buddy dailies a Mazda 2 and I think they run 185/55/R15's. It's a manual so he can drive the piss out of it without getting in much trouble, gets over 30mpg, and is dirt cheap to maintain. I think he got all 4 new tires out the door for well under 400 dollars.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
On my V50, I went out of my way to get 15 inch tyres for both summers and winters, not only because the price difference between 15 and 17 is silly, but also because the difference in comfort is very noticeable. 195/65 R15 for life yo.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

225/75R16 were surprisingly cheap considering how large they are and the high load rating. Same size but lower profile would have been much more expensive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You just don’t want to end up with a size that’s too uncommon. Even back in the mid 00s it was hard to find 14” decent tyres that would work for my Integra - they were either expensive or utter rubbish so it was easier to upgrade to 15”s

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

On my V50, I went out of my way to get 15 inch tyres for both summers and winters, not only because the price difference between 15 and 17 is silly, but also because the difference in comfort is very noticeable. 195/65 R15 for life yo.

I was really pleased after going from 17 --> 16 on my FiST. TireRack wasn't sure if 15" would clear the brakes so I got "real wheels" instead of the steelies I was looking at for winter and I actually loved how they looked, wish I bought them years before lol.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

ive gone -1 wheel/tire size on my past 4 cars and every time it's been an improvement with no downsides
Automakers sell wheels that are 1 size too big in their upper trims.

imo this in the same category as piano black plastic and touchscreens.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Same here with wheel size. Went to 17" then back to 16", so much better comfort without really much difference in handling.

Only thing I don't like about 16" is I'd like to upgrade the brakes but I'm pretty limited to what i can do with 16" wheels

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Swappable battery chat: https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/28..._source=twitter

quote:

Honda delivered a new battery swapping station in Tokyo that’s looking mighty similar to the one Gogoro makes. The automaker’s new power pack exchanger lets electric motorcycle riders easily flip their depleting batteries for fresh ones instead of needing to wait around for a charge.

The very first “Honda Power Pack Exchanger e:” station has now been delivered to Gachaco Inc., a joint venture with Japanese oil and energy company Eneos, as well as motorcycle manufacturers Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. Gachaco is based in Tokyo and receives support from the city government as it has a 2035 goal to de-gasoline all new motorcycles to meet.

The standardized recyclable battery specification agreed upon by all the manufacturers is Honda’s Mobile Power Pack e: (MPP e:), which comes with a capacity of 1,314Wh and takes about five hours to fully charge. Eneos contributed the Battery as a Service platform (BaaS) it’s built on, with the idea of using these racks to store energy during peak production times and discharge electricity back into the grid when demand spikes.

A single charged sell can also power the power pack exchanger station if the power is out — helping commuters not get stranded.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Unsure if this is the correct thread to ask, but what's the verdict on Honda's hybrid drivetrain system in terms of reliability? I just learned about the 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid. I know that Honda dipped their toes into the hybrid space years back and owners of Honda hybrids at that time were... whelmed. And now Honda has gotten back into the hybrid game after learning they could price it as an expensive trim option.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Sagebrush posted:

Here in the EU side 205/55R16 seems to be the cheapest size and they are available in better quality models.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

melon cat posted:

Unsure if this is the correct thread to ask, but what's the verdict on Honda's hybrid drivetrain system in terms of reliability? I just learned about the 2023 CRV Touring Hybrid. I know that Honda dipped their toes into the hybrid space years back and owners of Honda hybrids at that time were... whelmed. And now Honda has gotten back into the hybrid game after learning they could price it as an expensive trim option.

Honda’s newer hybrid systems work completely differently from their early generation hybrids like the early Civic, Insight, and Accord hybrids. Those were mild hybrid systems and didn’t do much. Now they are much more “normal” in design and are pretty well regarded.

Also very odd reading of the market dynamic here. Honda has always been pursuing hybrid tech, they just did some dumb weird stuff for a while and then got smart. There’s been a good CR-v hybrid since like 2018. Do you think they shouldn’t make products that provide additional utility to customers in return for more money?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

melon cat posted:

There's a base "Sport" hybrid also if you want a cheaper car. It's only $1340 more expensive than the base non-hybrid model.

That $1400 gets you from 28 mpg city to 43, which pays for itself before 50,000 miles if you drive mostly city and pay $3/gallon for gas.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Honda’s newer hybrid systems work completely differently from their early generation hybrids like the early Civic, Insight, and Accord hybrids. Those were mild hybrid systems and didn’t do much. Now they are much more “normal” in design and are pretty well regarded.

Also very odd reading of the market dynamic here. Honda has always been pursuing hybrid tech, they just did some dumb weird stuff for a while and then got smart. There’s been a good CR-v hybrid since like 2018. Do you think they shouldn’t make products that provide additional utility to customers in return for more money?
calm down my guy. I was just asking if their hybrid system has improved since it's earlier iteration. Because anyone I knew who had a hybrid Civic (all 2 of them) weren't thrilled with it. And aside from obvious paid ads there aren't many online reviews that really break down Honda's latest hybrid technology.

Twerk from Home posted:

There's a base "Sport" hybrid also if you want a cheaper car. It's only $1340 more expensive than the base non-hybrid model.

That $1400 gets you from 28 mpg city to 43, which pays for itself before 50,000 miles if you drive mostly city and pay $3/gallon for gas.
Sounds fine and all but the Sport hybrid isn't available where I live. Only CRV hybrid option here at the local dealerships is for the Honda CRV Hybrid Touring, which is the most expensive trim.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 10, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can order a car through your local dealer.

Sorry for answering your questions?

Edit: the new hybrid civic is quite good

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

melon cat posted:

Sounds fine and all but the Sport hybrid isn't available where I live. Only CRV hybrid option here at the local dealerships is for the Honda CRV Hybrid Touring, which is the most expensive trim.

Are you outside of the US with different trims available, or you just mean dealers don't have any?

Inventory has been super low and hosed up for years now. People have been doing fly and drives to buy new cars in states like Idaho to save $6k+, or shipping cars across the country.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you outside of the US with different trims available, or you just mean dealers don't have any?

Inventory has been super low and hosed up for years now. People have been doing fly and drives to buy new cars in states like Idaho to save $6k+, or shipping cars across the country.

I’m in Canada and no the Sport hybrid version of the CRV isn’t available here at all. Only the Touring. Can’t even build it on Honda Canada’s website.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

melon cat posted:

LOL calm down guy. I was just asking if their hybrid system has improved since it's earlier iteration. Because anyone I knew who had a hybrid Civic (all 2 of them) weren't thrilled with it. And aside from paid influencers firing off spec sheets there aren't many online reviews that really break down Honda's latest hybrid technology.

I thought this was a good breakdown of the Honda hybrid system when I was interested in Accord Hybrids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P_VChtMGK8

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

melon cat posted:

Unsure if this is the correct thread to ask, but what's the verdict on Honda's hybrid drivetrain system in terms of reliability?
It has no turbos, no direct injection, and no transmission. Should be pretty reliable. I've had zero issues with my 2019 Accord hybrid.

I really like this car. It is quiet, comfortable, and efficient. The price was only a couple grand more than the gas Accord, and for that I got a little more power and a lot better gas mileage.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I put 120k miles on my 2014 Accord Hybird with nary a mechanical issue, getting 40 mpg doing 75 mph on I-80 the whole time.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BlackMK4 posted:

I legitimately don't understand how Toyota undercut Honda pricing wise with something that is lower production, has more tech, and has extra driveline components.

I was wrong

I think the core trim of the Corolla undercuts the CTR because it's a stripper trim, and the Circuit Edition is the more comparably trimmed out car.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
It's all a wash because they'll both be marked up to similar levels of "loving expensive".

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Vanlife

https://jalopnik.com/2023-ford-transit-trail-ready-to-customize-vanlife-rv-1849731735

quote:

The $65,975 2023 Transit Trail is Ford’s answer the #VanLife movement. It’s a mostly empty Transit van upgraded to meet the demands of a growing market of customers ranging from experienced vanning aficionados to the merely van-curious. The Transit Trail makes several small improvements to smooth out the journey (and destination) of turning an empty cargo van into a DIY RV, or even a full-time home.

To be clear, Ford isn’t selling you a ready-to-roll camper with the Transit Trail; you’ll still need to get yours upfitted with sleeping space, storage, toilets or even a kitchenette, either by yourself or via an aftermarket installer. Lucky for you, Ford has built a network of manufacturer-approved upfitters who specialize in turning your Transit Trail into anything you need it to be.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
lol 70 grand for a stripper ford van

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

lol 70 grand for a stripper ford van

charging more for less works for porsche, why not ford?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Porsche can at least build something that sometimes works for what it was intended for.

Ford is worse than any German or British car. They're worse than Fiat and Mitsubishi.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I for one am fine with them fleecing the poo poo out of ~INFLUENCERS~

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh those have come and gone. Bought the 300,000 dollar sprinter on the rents' accounts, shat in a bucket for 6 months, moved into a house their parents also bought for them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Thing that's always bothered me about haptic wheels is the chance for false presses, I don't know how common they are in practise, but seems like the sort of thing that would either generate complaints, or be noticed as annoying by execs driving their company ride, hence the turn around, as well as what the above posted mentioned about being an easier swap out than the centre stack.

I know this was a few pages back but I just want to mention that MY WIFE has a 2022 GTI and I hate the steering wheel 'buttons' and yes there are false presses ALL THE TIME. The car drives great but the controls are dogshit. I was lusting after an Audi allroad for my next car but if this is their design philosophy I kind of want to steer clear of anything VAG-related for the time being.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
To be fair a regular Transit is already starting at $52k even before you start adding in options like the EcoBoost engine, dual alternators, etc. Then add in the cost of AWD and the unique features like the lift kit it has going on.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That transit will only appear fully loaded with $25k markup.

It's hilarious that Ford Explorer not loaded RWD XLT's are still sitting locally (Roseville, CA) with $10k markups. This is a weird local market though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

People in Silicon Valley still gonna eat it up :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You now have to take out a MORTGAGE to live in a VAN down by the RIVEEEEEEEEEEER!

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

cursedshitbox posted:

Porsche can at least build something that sometimes works for what it was intended for.

Ford is worse than any German or British car. They're worse than Fiat and Mitsubishi.

As the purchaser of several new Ford's and Fiats over the years I can absolutely confirm the Fiats have been built better lol. (the spider 124 doesn't count that was made in Japan)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrownieVK posted:

As the purchaser of several new Ford's and Fiats over the years I can absolutely confirm the Fiats have been built better lol. (the spider 124 doesn't count that was made in Japan)

I've had like 5-6 fords and somewhere around 25 british/german cars and yep. Total loving shitshow.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My Ford's have been rock solid, but in all fairness I don't generally keep them long term. I've had my 2013 SHO for almost 9 years though and it's been a great car. In more fairness it only has 78K miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
My Bronco is a big pile of garbage quality control wise.. never had an issue with Ford drivetrains though.