Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

Just took the EUV out for it's first longish trip (involved a highway). Went about 30 miles away to a mall, charged there, and came back. Noticed a weird smell, popped the hood, and the 12v battery is smoking. =[

It looks just like what's happening in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nK6CojS6j0

I think I'll park it outside tonight and call the dealer tomorrow. 😓

Did the 12v battery go bad while it was sitting around waiting for a replacement high voltage battery?

This is one of the many ways that car fires start. I hope you are okay :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

sanchez posted:

I picked up a 2023 ID4 today. We rented one on turo a month ago for a few days to try it out as a candidate for the new 'family' car and really liked it. We were expecting to receive a factory order sometime next year but the dealer had someone back out on one of the first TN cars they'd received. I am ecstatic as a TN car delivered this year is the only way we were going to receive a tax credit.

I owned a model 3 dual motor for several years and while much slower the ID4 compares surprisingly well in other ways. The suspension is not as harsh, the doors shut with a nice thud and the seats are very comfy. It fits our child seats really well. The software in the 2023 does seem snappier than what was running in the launch edition we rented. VW are cheapskate assholes for not including floor mats though.

Nice. We have an ID4 on order, it's all locked just waiting to see when it actually gets built and then delivered prior to end of year, tax credit and various state/local incentives probably dictating if we take it or not.

Them suddenly deciding to not include floor mats and a level 1 charger (EVSE or whatever the gently caress) does kind of stick in my craw a bit. More the charger, we'd be buying weathertechs or similar for floormats, but if we decide to take the car then we have to get a level 2 charger install scheduled to get the local incentive on that so then we have nowhere to charge cheap/free until that happens with no EA chargers locally. So probably end up buying a level 1 charger since it seems you probably want one in the car for emergencies anyway.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wayne Knight posted:

Did the 12v battery go bad while it was sitting around waiting for a replacement high voltage battery?

That's a good possibility- if you have a 10mm box wrench around I'd unhook it asap.

Also have the dealer check the tires as well- lots of cars sitting immobile for a long time in the lot have had problems with them as well.

I hope you stay safe

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Red Warrior posted:

Nice. We have an ID4 on order, it's all locked just waiting to see when it actually gets built and then delivered prior to end of year, tax credit and various state/local incentives probably dictating if we take it or not.

Them suddenly deciding to not include floor mats and a level 1 charger (EVSE or whatever the gently caress) does kind of stick in my craw a bit. More the charger, we'd be buying weathertechs or similar for floormats, but if we decide to take the car then we have to get a level 2 charger install scheduled to get the local incentive on that so then we have nowhere to charge cheap/free until that happens with no EA chargers locally. So probably end up buying a level 1 charger since it seems you probably want one in the car for emergencies anyway.

Three Olives has a L1 charger for sale.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

sanchez posted:

I picked up a 2023 ID4 today. We rented one on turo a month ago for a few days to try it out as a candidate for the new 'family' car and really liked it. We were expecting to receive a factory order sometime next year but the dealer had someone back out on one of the first TN cars they'd received. I am ecstatic as a TN car delivered this year is the only way we were going to receive a tax credit.

I owned a model 3 dual motor for several years and while much slower the ID4 compares surprisingly well in other ways. The suspension is not as harsh, the doors shut with a nice thud and the seats are very comfy. It fits our child seats really well. The software in the 2023 does seem snappier than what was running in the launch edition we rented. VW are cheapskate assholes for not including floor mats though.

Congrats! And thanks for the Christmas gift idea for my girlfriend! (Hers is due Q1 23)

Wayne Knight posted:

Just took the EUV out for it's first longish trip (involved a highway). Went about 30 miles away to a mall, charged there, and came back. Noticed a weird smell, popped the hood, and the 12v battery is smoking. =[

It looks just like what's happening in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nK6CojS6j0

I think I'll park it outside tonight and call the dealer tomorrow. 😓

Holy poo poo!

Sitting around may have contributed, but I don't think batteries really do that without an internal structural defect.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo!

Yeah. I mean, is this "call the fire department right away" territory? I feel like it may be. Maybe the non-emergency line, but what's going on here is a rapid discharge of potential energy. That means heat. If it gets more rapid, that means bomb.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Update: car is not on fire

Called the dealer's service center, they booked me an appointment for Tuesday...

...I'll be taking it to them today.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Besides heat, a short circuited battery produces hydrogen and oxygen and can cause a pretty good fire or explosion. That said it's not too common for that, and I wouldn't call the FD right away. I'd disconnect it and keep an eye on it, by this point Wayne's battery is probably fully discharged and safe, based on the time of his post.

E:

Wayne Knight posted:

Update: car is not on fire

Called the dealer's service center, they booked me an appointment for Tuesday...

...I'll be taking it to them today.

Lol, the brand new car we sold you is trying to catch on fire, and it's literally a 2 minute fix? We'll get to that next week. Dealerships rule.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

When your car looks like it’s gonna explode it’s kinda wild that they still expect you to drive it to the dealership.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I would NOT drive a car in that condition fwiw.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah do not drive that car.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I don't have a reddit account but I wonder if this is the same scenario: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/yexz6x/smells_like_burning/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Start tweeting at GM

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Start tweeting at GM

Start twerking at GM

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Bolts and battery problems, name a more iconic duo

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Bolts and battery problems, name a more iconic duo

ur mom and BWBD

e: I'm sorry, that was out of character for me, but the setup was just too good to pass up

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Start tweeting at GM

Yeah do this. Driving the fizzling EV back to the dealer is like carrying the fizzling firework back to the shop.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Start twerking at GM

i'm being serious, that is the most likely place you will get a fast and good response from GM

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Steakandchips posted:

Three Olives has a L1 charger for sale.

:lmao:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

ur mom and BWBD

e: I'm sorry, that was out of character for me, but the setup was just too good to pass up

:hmmyes:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Start tweeting at GM

I don't have a twitter and I really don't want to live in a world where you have to in order to get basic customer service.
I've texted my sales rep, he directed me to the service manager, and I've left him a voicemail requesting a callback. I'll continue escalating as needed.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i'm being serious, that is the most likely place you will get a fast and good response from GM

Oh I know and also agree, but I was looking at your av and had to say it

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

cruft posted:

The clock has started on you posting a photo...

There are some good 2023 pics online in the early reviews, but since you asked :)

I did discover the headlights are solid today, they turn side to side and do a good job of lighting 90 degree turns.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Take the 12V out of the car and set it down somewhere. There's a chance that that's hydrogen gas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wayne Knight posted:

I don't have a twitter and I really don't want to live in a world where you have to in order to get basic customer service.
I've texted my sales rep, he directed me to the service manager, and I've left him a voicemail requesting a callback. I'll continue escalating as needed.

You haven’t engaged anyone at GM corporate

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Honda sets up the first motorcycle battery swap station for its mobile power packs

quote:

Honda delivered a new battery swapping station in Tokyo that’s looking mighty similar to the one Gogoro makes. The automaker’s new power pack exchanger lets electric motorcycle riders easily flip their depleting batteries for fresh ones instead of needing to wait around for a charge.

The Honda power station itself looks very similar to Gogoro’s: like a vending machine with a grid of battery packs that slide in and out of slots.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Three Olives posted:

Going to lose my mind, my Mach-E has been sitting in a parking lot waiting to be picked up 30 miles from my house for 11 days now, just missed the end of the delivery ETA. :argh:

bro my mach-e was preordered like august 29th, im still waiting for it to ENTER production lol

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Waifu Radia posted:

bro my mach-e was preordered like august 29th, im still waiting for it to ENTER production lol

Bro, I ordered first week of Feb 2022.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

sanchez posted:

There are some good 2023 pics online in the early reviews, but since you asked :)

I did discover the headlights are solid today, they turn side to side and do a good job of lighting 90 degree turns.

That looks great!

It's been so cool watching all these other manufacturers get on board. Making it a lot easier to visualize a world where most cars are electric.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That color looks freakin’ great. Too bad my car is basic rear end white like half of all EVs out there.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bros I reserved my mach-e in 2019 and then they sold me a turd with the highway passing power of a Honda Accord

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Bros I reserved my mach-e in 2019 and then they sold me a turd with the highway passing power of a Honda Accord

Wow congrats!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Look, different people need different things from their cars. Take me and BWBD for instance.

I need a family car that's good on road trips, which can carry four people and a cat-sized dog, plus luggage. I also need 4-wheel drive since we get a lot of snow. Because we live in the middle of nowhere, a range of at least 200 miles is important, even after charging to 100% and then burning up the brakes going down a mountain.

BWBD wants a car with shiny wheels that can go from 50-100 in 4 seconds. It also needs enough room in the driver side for him to sit with his legs spread at least 45 degrees apart, and he needs to be able to not bonk the roof when his 4-foot torso is in the seat and he hits a speed bump at 80.

Naturally, we both got a Tesla Model 3, which is the only car anyone should consider buying.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 29, 2022

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

VW announced they're going away from touch sensitive areas and back to physical buttons on their cars. Looks like my next EV is going to be an ID something, unless someone releases an electric Miata-like at a reasonable price.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

cruft posted:

Look, different people need different things from their cars. Take me and BWBD for instance.

I need a family car that's good on road trips, which can carry four people and a cat-sized dog, plus luggage. I also need 4-wheel drive since we get a lot of snow. Because we live in the middle of nowhere, a range of at least 200 miles is important, even after charging to 100% and then burning up the brakes going down a mountain.

BWBD wants a car with shiny wheels that can go from 50-100 in 4 seconds. It also needs enough room in the driver side for him to sit with his legs spread at least 45 degrees apart, and he needs to be able to not bonk the roof when his 4-foot torso is in the seat and he hits a speed bump at 80.

Naturally, we both got a Tesla Model 3, which is the only car anyone should consider buying.

You had me going for a second there.

I also drive a Model 3 performance, its great for all of the above reasons. Not perfect, but for a humble daily driver it has pretty much everything you would ever need.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The amazing thing Tesla did was identify a previously untapped market. Up until recently nobody had targeted the "weird nerd" segment - they didn't have money - but with tech salaries there's a whole bunch of people who value fart apps over driving dynamics to market to.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Elviscat posted:

Sitting around may have contributed, but I don't think batteries really do that without an internal structural defect.
The battery in the video is an AGM battery, which is just plain old lead acid but with the acid bound in an absorbent glass mat (hence the name AGM). Very common in cars these days. AGM batteries are completely sealed so the electrolyte can't leak out, but like all lead-acid batteries they produce hydrogen when overcharged, so to avoid dangerous overpressure they have a pressure relief valve, making them part of a family called "valve-regulated lead-acid" (VRLA). If the battery is puffing out fumes that's probably the valve letting gases out, so the safety feature is working as intended. It's hard to tell what caused the overcharging though; it could be caused either by an internal defect or by the charging regulator doing something stupid. AGM is generally more sensitive to overcharging than traditional flooded lead-acid batteries are. I doubt the short-circuit theory.

The hydrogen is only really dangerous if the battery is mounted in an enclosed compartment, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, but since the cause of the venting is not known it's probably not a good idea to try to use the battery (by driving the car) until you know why it's venting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has Audi announced any larger EVs like Q5/Q7 size yet? The Q4 is juuuust a little too small and a Q5 would be good and have all the fancy doodads I like.

My main upcoming/theoretical cars I am most interested in are:

Kia EV9/Hyundai Ioniq7
Volvo EX90
Audi Q5/Q7 size EV
BMW iX

The volvo/audi/bmw are getting a little out of my comfortable price range though..

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

you really get me :a2m:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ooops wrong smilie I was trying to do the hug one