Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Cable Guy posted:

When I was a kid I was making a 1:72 plastic model of a Vought Corsair and totally buggered it... I was really upset until my older brother helped me turn it into a crash-scene diorama which was basically this... Showed me how to pin-hole bullet-holes into the wings, bend back parts of the skin and paint the inside silver, and gently soften the prop over a candle to bend it back....

Thanks older bro....

Humphreys posted:

Meanwhile my dumb rear end thought models would fly and threw them off the roof.

Captain Hygiene posted:

They absolutely can fly if you stick model rocket engines up their rear end :byoscience:

The results of these experiments were inconsistent at best. Not that I would violate the NAR code deliberately https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Educator/NAR_Model_Rocket_Safety_Code.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Harry_Potato posted:

The results of these experiments were inconsistent at best. Not that I would violate the NAR code deliberately https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Educator/NAR_Model_Rocket_Safety_Code.pdf

Ha, that's a blast from the past :dumbrim:

Hopefully the statute of limitations has run out by now.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

haveblue posted:

The main thing I’m curious about with the MRI is how the electricity gets to the spinny part. I guess somewhere in there are two motor brushes running along a circular track?

13 thousand-mile-long cable that just winds around until it snaps and the machine is quenched and decommissioned.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Buce posted:

13 thousand-mile-long cable that just winds around until it snaps and the machine is quenched and decommissioned.

Ugh, no you just rotate it the other way every other scan

moron

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/RqvpqE7.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's running at about double speed, based on the lady who walks through in the middle.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao the car stuck in the middle

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's weird because unlike places like Vietnam were there's seemingly no rules when you're driving, they actually follow some sort of rule, then once the light changes it's just chaos.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Buce posted:

It’s a ct scanner so no magnets to quench. Having witnessed test runs of a ct scanner with its skirt off the most surprising thing is how quiet the device is. Until it isn’t, which was why service was there to begin with.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Nature finds a way.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Buce posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Horrific stampede in Seoul during halloween celebrations, maybe around 150 dead :( pretty :nms: stuff
E: don't loving click it if you don't want to see the aftermath of an event where up to 150 people probably died https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRYHYWlMjW0

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 29, 2022

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

mobby_6kl posted:

Horrific stampede in Seoul during halloween celebrations, maybe around 150 dead :( pretty :nms: stuff
This video contains many clear shots of dead people receiving chest compressions

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

This video contains many clear shots of dead people receiving chest compressions

Yeah, not going to click that.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Uthor posted:

Yeah, not going to click that.

I wish I didnt

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Foxfire_ posted:

For anything spinning fast or that needs to reliable, you don't use brushes because they are high friction and also wear out. You can do better by essentially unwrapping a transformer so that the primary and secondary windings are physically separate and can spin relative to each other. It can't pass DC, but that's fine. You also control both sides and aren't trying to move power long distances, so you can use higher frequencies (couple hundred KHz) where coupling is more efficient and the parts are physically smaller (mains transformers are chonky because inductors that don't saturate at 60Hz are big)

Basic induction with pictures stolen from wikipedia
- Current running through a wire creates a magnetic field around it:

- If you bend the wire into a loop, all the field inside the loop is going the same way and gets bigger:

- You can add more wire loops to concentrate more
- If you have another bunch of coaxial loops nearby with all those field lines going through it, when the field changes, it induces a corresponding voltage in that wire
- In a normal power transformer, you use it for changing the voltage (the induced voltage depends on the ratio in the number of loops on each side)
- In a rotary transformer, you use it for because you can spin one loop relative to the other since they don't need to touch:

(inside ring spins, outside ring doesn't)

drat, suggest people don’t click that… didn’t know they celebrated Halloween in South Korea but I guess I’m just dumb.

Anyway, thanks for the effort post above re: rotary transformers. Really cool stuff. I guess it could be similar to a brushless motor turned generator

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't post videos of people dying, rear end in a top hat.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RandomBlue posted:

Don't post videos of people dying, rear end in a top hat.

Sorry, I might be too jaded from the wars and protesters getting mowed down. I edited the post in case "150 dead :nms:" wasn't clear somehow about what the video was.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Tzarnal posted:

Your local tire place has a machine that will spin a tire and then tell them exactly what weights to put where to make it balance out. This is ofcourse much more complex, lower tolerances and highly catastrophic should it fail but the art of balancing a big spinny thing is old and well explored.
Wait, so they bring the MRI machine to the tire place then?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mobby_6kl posted:

Sorry, I might be too jaded from the wars and protesters getting mowed down. I edited the post in case "150 dead :nms:" wasn't clear somehow about what the video was.

Could have been a news item. Could have been clicked on by someone who didn't read. Better to play it safe in these cases.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Uthor posted:

Could have been a news item. Could have been clicked on by someone who didn't read. Better to play it safe in these cases.
not paying attention to what you are clicking in the osha thread is an osha violation

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Agreed in all cases. The warning was enough for me, so thanks, but we try to keep snuff and corpses out of osha even though it's heavily implied they existed and justified a rule and silly training video.

But how does this happen? Some folks got caught under a press that gets generated from too many people willingly filling a place with no outflow options? It looks like there were even fences in some places? Seems like they're would be more outlets for a high density flow, but maybe that's a Seoul geography thing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It also helps to use the [ code] brackets.

It allows to post links that aren’t clickable unless you put in effort to copy/paste the link.

code:
www.somethingawful.com

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah if it's clearly labeled and described and you click it without reading that's on you, but I understand people not wanting clearly dead/dying people posted in this thread.

That said, gently caress crowds. We weren't meant to be with so many in such a small area and it triggers every loving flight instinct I have even to be in a crowded venue for a concert or whatever.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

social gatherings are good for your mental health and soul. just be aware of where you're at in the crowd and where the exits are. drat lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the post originally had the :nms: tag which is supposed to prevent things from embedding anywhere else in the post, but for some reason the forums embedded it anyway

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yeah...the crowd seems to be full of young people, who I guess are more likely to be outside on Halloween, but it struck me as a general lack of awareness of the danger. I'm not sure if the areas have had to deal with surges before, but you can imagine times squares new years festival in contrast.

But honestly you can't always know if you're a part of a press, or about to be. Trampling is not a thing you blame on one person. It seems like an infrastructure failure, which makes it threadworthy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

the post originally had the :nms: tag which is supposed to prevent things from embedding anywhere else in the post, but for some reason the forums embedded it anyway
Wait, youtube videos get embedded? I've neve seen that happen, nms tag or no. After I posted it I just saw a clickable link. Later edited it so you have to copy/paste it.

ILL Machina posted:

Yeah...the crowd seems to be full of young people, who I guess are more likely to be outside on Halloween, but it struck me as a general lack of awareness of the danger. I'm not sure if the areas have had to deal with surges before, but you can imagine times squares new years festival in contrast.

But honestly you can't always know if you're a part of a press, or about to be. Trampling is not a thing you blame on one person. It seems like an infrastructure failure, which makes it threadworthy.
It's probably too early to tell for sure but like it has to be a crowd control or infrastructure fuckup of some kind. It wasn't just "lol look lots of dead people".

I've been in huge crowds at festivals and sports events before and although there's always this looming danger, it's been fine... so far. No idea if you can even do anything if things start to go bad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait, youtube videos get embedded? I've neve seen that happen, nms tag or no. After I posted it I just saw a clickable link. Later edited it so you have to copy/paste it.

you might have a browser privacy extension blocking embeds from working

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

repiv posted:

Yeah, I don't get YT embeds and I always chalked it up to uBlock Origin.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Just the size of that crowd was enough for me to nope out of the video. Jeez.

I think this pandemic has created some new phobias in me.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7158103732566183170

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, I don't get YT embeds and I always chalked it up to uBlock Origin.
I know cookie settings can disable twitter for me but I've literally never had youtube embedding here. Could be an ad blocker or maybe the pihole somehow blocking it :iiam:

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

All it takes is one person to stop, or trip, or fall, or get stuck on something, and you can start a crush. People keep moving forward because they don’t know what’s ahead. By the time they meet the crush, they are being crushed themselves.

I remember the “Battle of the Bastards” episode of GOT and that crush was just… gah. Didn’t matter if it was fictional. It was really, really hard to watch.

Hillsborough. The Station fire. The Hajj, multiple times. Astroworld. Narrow paths, kettling, and panic.

Always know where your exits are and keep calm.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

The thought of being packed tightly in a crowd like that, regardless of casualties, horrifies me. Those poor loving people, ugh.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

mobby_6kl posted:

I know cookie settings can disable twitter for me but I've literally never had youtube embedding here. Could be an ad blocker or maybe the pihole somehow blocking it :iiam:

Check your account settings. There's an option to never embed videos, which has been there for years now. I've always had it off.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Impressive.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

lol look at this idiot doing in twenty seconds what could've easily been 10 billable minutes of work

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i hope rambalac wasn't in korea for Halloween this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Was the panning from victims to people walking by in ridiculous costumes intentional?