Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

fuf posted:

Oh god, I can absolutely see that this is the optimal way to do it, but that's a real can of worms when it comes to micro work.

It's really not that bad since they're accessible from the construction queue screen*, and early game bonuses to construction sector throughput are minimal.

*Dear god Wiz, please add a "push to top of queue" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dirk the Average posted:

I think the baseline is there. It's neat how you need to break the political stranglehold of the landowners (and the groups that they sway, like the church, army, and farmers), encourage the rise in political power of the capitalists and liberals, and then break that power base that you just built if you want to pass the law to establish economic equality.

It's just that the system doesn't quite have enough teeth yet. I think if the US had more radicals at game start, that would go a long way towards making the civil war fire off more historically (and it's not a hacky fix - the political situation was very tense at that time). The other thing that would help is to have a bigger effect from low legitimacy - it's a bit silly that I can give the middle finger to the parties that won an election or are not supported by the monarch and all that happens is that it takes longer to pass laws.

Edit: bolstering and suppressing works a lot better if you have more restrictive free speech laws and secret police

Yeah iirc legitimacy only really affects law enactment, so if you're okay with the status quo for a bit it's not a big deal. People will be pissed they're in opposition but it's a relatively small penalty. I do agree that IGs should have "third rail" laws that they will never ever accept- council republic for industrialists, abolition for American landowners, etc

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Red Bones posted:

The really slow part afterwards is colonising (because colonisation speed is based on your existing population count), and for some reason I keep on getting other Australian colonies annexed into myself. I assume it's something to do with the federating Australia mechanic, but I don't actually get that decision in the decision tab, so I'm not sure if the AI colonies are just mindlessly federating themselves into me; or if AI UK is federating all its Australian colonies together and attaching them to me because I'm the player, or maybe because I'm the wealthiest one.

It's this one - the confederation mechanics for Canada and Australia work similarly - either one of the colonies has a decision to annex a neighbouring one with a smaller GDP, or the UK can take a decision to mash two of them randomly together. Both of them are coded to not annex a player (though I definitely got annexed this way a few times in my Columbia District tutorial runs so maybe this was initially buggy?), so if you get picked by the UK decision you get to annex the other one regardless of who's richer.

The weird thing is the UK decision will never tell you this has happened so you'll just pick up new territory out of the blue and if you're chugging along at speed 5 it'll take a while before you realise you have a new state's terrible choices to fix.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 29, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean another way to do it is just upgrade production method and then cut down on your sectors
when you can support more just add another sector again, they are always so quick to build compare to everything else

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arrath posted:

It's really not that bad since they're accessible from the construction queue screen*, and early game bonuses to construction sector throughput are minimal.

isn't it ctrl+click the up arrow button?

edit: i guess it's alt+

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 29, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arrath posted:

There is one! It's the "alt" key on your keyboard. I actually only learned that from a stream. No idea where it tells you that in game.

So it's worth reemphasizing: if you hold alt, buildings get put at the top of the queue. That works for reordering buildings and building them in the first place, no matter what interface you're building them through.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eiba posted:

There is one! It's the "alt" key on your keyboard. I actually only learned that from a stream. No idea where it tells you that in game.

There's a tooltip for that shortcut in the construction queue, but I didn't realise it worked for other methods of queueing buildings - this will save so much time!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
https://www.twitch.tv/drkarmicknight
Victoria 3 Multiplayer is real and now it's time fill the world with opium production.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How do I reassign a general to a different HQ? I don't see anything except recruiting a new one, which I don't need.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Get laissez-faire and free trade as quickly as possible. This lets you trade for most of the resources you need, and also lets you deficit spend really efficiently.

Don't worry about meeting your pop needs. A lot of them will be rich from the gold mines and will be able to afford expensive goods. You'll want to trade for most goods anyway, since you don't have the population to support large production chains.

For the glass factory, I think what's happening is that their wages are too high to be profitable. Basically when a building tries to hire people, it sets a starting wage. To get workers to switch jobs, the new wage needs to be higher than the wage at their current job. If it can't hire all the workers it needs, it slowly raises the wages until it can. If there are more job openings in a state than there are workers, then buildings will have to compete for the workers. If the glass factory is in the state with all your gold mines, then it will have to raise its wages very high to attract workers from the mines, and very likely to the point where the factory is unprofitable despite the high price of glass.

There are a couple ways you can fix this. First, just import all your glass. That's easy if you have free trade and it's way more labor efficient. Second, don't build your glass factory in your gold mine state. Third, just don't worry about it! Glass isn't terribly important for your pops or your industry, at least as far as I know. Fourth, attract more immigrants to even out your labor pool. You'll want a large reserve army of labor to drive down wages.
Thank you for the response and all the info. I picked up my most recent attempt and kept plugging along and now I managed to get back to having a minor deficit while still building. I am building too much variety in Santiago because I do not have nearly enough Bureaucracy to do a ton of imports and exports (I'm still in my own market for fear of joining one and building my economy around being in it, then getting kicked out and crashing). I'm self sufficient on everything except for dyes and lead with a few imports and exports to balance the production of certain things. A neighboring state in Argentina has some lead and their army is small so I am working on expanding my military so I am clearly superior and not totally outclass by my other neighbor Bolivia-Peru in case attacking Argentina antagonizes them.

I have the #1 most productive Toolmaker, Chemical Plant, and Motor Industries plus a bunch of other decent buildings. But I still feel pretty anemic. I'm Rank 21 and 7th in GDP per capita (#30 overall) but my population has only gone from 1m to 1.36m in the 30 years I've played and I see that I have zero migration into either of my incorporated states - how do I get some?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Multiculturalism turned on the migration in my game. You could also see if anything happens when you use the Grass is Greener decree

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

not sure if its intended but if you get the flu pandemic, even full lockdowns appear to have little to no impact on it spreading

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Is there a way to see pop employment totals? I have 50k radicals from unemployment and if I go to a building it tells me I have no peasants in any of my states. How can I tell what pops are available for a building where?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Jazerus posted:

trade union pops are drawn primarily from laborers and machinists. pay attention to production methods and avoid replacing those professions if you want the trade unions to be strong. for example urban centers can eventually change to covered markets, which primarily employs clerks in your urban centers instead of laborers; you wouldn't want to turn this on if promoting the unions is your primary concern

True, but you also need to consider the demand the upgrades drive in other industries which can then employ laborers (and also machinists and engineers). Machinists provide support for trade unions much more efficiently than laborers due to their higher wages. For example in my current game I have 2x as many laborers as machinists+engineers but laborers provide 36% of my trade unions power and 41% comes from machinists+engineers. If I dropped my urban centers down a tier I would employ a lot more laborers but kill 1/5 of the demand of my steel industry.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a way to see pop employment totals? I have 50k radicals from unemployment and if I go to a building it tells me I have no peasants in any of my states. How can I tell what pops are available for a building where?

If you select what you want to build in the production lens and hover over states it will show you the total available labor pool

Traxis fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 29, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Stux posted:

not sure if its intended but if you get the flu pandemic, even full lockdowns appear to have little to no impact on it spreading
lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

god i loving love early paradox releases

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Back to my obvious questions: how do you increase standard of living? Is it just building poo poo for people to work in instead of being peasants? I'm up to 1900 in my game, I've been building at full capacity for 64 years now and my main Japan provinces are still mostly peasants.

I saw somewhere a thing about pops having needs for particular goods and their standard of living goes up if you supply them, but I swear to christ I have searched every screen and menu in the game and cannot find anywhere that shows you what goods they want. I've just been guessing about the sort of things that make sense, like peasants probably want clothing and tobacco.

My standard of living has gone up and down seemingly at random the entire game.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Back to my obvious questions: how do you increase standard of living? Is it just building poo poo for people to work in instead of being peasants? I'm up to 1900 in my game, I've been building at full capacity for 64 years now and my main Japan provinces are still mostly peasants.

I saw somewhere a thing about pops having needs for particular goods and their standard of living goes up if you supply them, but I swear to christ I have searched every screen and menu in the game and cannot find anywhere that shows you what goods they want. I've just been guessing about the sort of things that make sense, like peasants probably want clothing and tobacco.

My standard of living has gone up and down seemingly at random the entire game.

If you hover over the standard of living number on the top bar, then the number next to the strata you want to check, and then the number above the graph it will show you a breakdown of the goods that strata of pops is consuming and their price.

You can also get there from the pop screen by hovering over the different strata. No idea why they decided to hide this under multiple nested tooltips

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

God the game needs better feedback. The amount of radicals in my country keeps shooting up but the tooltip doesn't tell me why, specifically. My standard of living is #1 in the world, but I have random starving pops too. Why are they starving? I don't know, the game doesn't tell me. Are my radicals growing because of low standards? Unemployment? Racism? I have no idea how to find out, so I have no idea what to do to fix the situation.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Is there something bugged with the education system? I have public schools but when I check in detail on my pops it says that their education depends on their wealth.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Tegnell works at Paradox now.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eiba posted:

So it's worth reemphasizing: if you hold alt, buildings get put at the top of the queue. That works for reordering buildings and building them in the first place, no matter what interface you're building them through.

:aaaaa:

Oh gently caress me you've changed my life.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

God the game needs better feedback. The amount of radicals in my country keeps shooting up but the tooltip doesn't tell me why, specifically. My standard of living is #1 in the world, but I have random starving pops too. Why are they starving? I don't know, the game doesn't tell me. Are my radicals growing because of low standards? Unemployment? Racism? I have no idea how to find out, so I have no idea what to do to fix the situation.

If you hover over the number it gives you a breakdown.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Traxis posted:

this also changes the map mode to radicals and shows which states theyre located in, which is helpful too

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Home Affairs institution is very effective at decreasing radicalization.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Traxis posted:

Ah this is great thanks!! I find the tooltips behave wierd, not easy to hover and dig deeper into like they are in CK3.

It appears the vast majority of my radicals are from unfulfilled political ambitions. How do I deal with that? I've got people who want to abandon our glorious anarcho-communist society and return to wealth voting and all sorts of other terrible ideas.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Well I united Germany as Austria, so a Grossdeutschland. I have millions of radicals, half of the country is unincorporated, and the rest of Europe hates me but still worth it. Not sure I want to keep playing or if it is better to start over with a new country. Feel like I’ve learned a lot about production chains and what to prioritize that I didn’t know when starting the game and that I would like to get right from the beginning.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also has anyone ever had the option to diplo-annex vassals? I've had Catalonia as a vassal for ages and I don't even have a greyed out button to integrate them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

#2 for literacy w 95%, 1/3rd of my entire population was loyal, and it was still growing. had 20 capitalists/aristrocrats total at the end. economy at the end of the game was completely able to just continually expand and my only limit was a lack of imports from the ai for stuff like oil and rubber, but also some other stuff like fish etc i needed for groceries. i also had to start subsidising more stuff, electricity the entire time just because it wouldnt expand out otherwise, railways i started subsidised, then ran for most of the game without them, then needed them again right at the end. basic rural production i also flicked it on for to get the by products i needed like wine and sugar. none of this was a problem though and each subsidised industry led to a direct increase in my income.

only had 2 crashes, but i also only went to war twice and both times are when i crashed lol ai needs to build more, seems like an easy fix though as theres already a mod that tweaks it. game does slowdown by the end dates but that also is apparently known and due to be patched. v good, v fun mechanically. some small patches for the above, combat fronts, and maybe some tweaks to how certain big events are too rare are all i really need.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Ah this is great thanks!! I find the tooltips behave wierd, not easy to hover and dig deeper into like they are in CK3.

I turned on middle mouse click tooltip lock but it still runs into the issue that if you accidentally mouse over another hotspot on the way to the window it will reset everything lol

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Can I tell what production methods enemy battalions are using without going to the home state and checking their barracks?

Like, from the combat screen?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arrath posted:

Can I tell what production methods enemy battalions are using without going to the home state and checking their barracks?

Yeah this would be super handy in the combat screen. Instead I just get a jumble of seemingly useless stats. Oh I have an attack of 38 and the enemy has a defense of 300 but I'm winning and don't know why? ok? Fine?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

What are the advantages of liberalism over authoritarianism? Irl it's obviously because your citizens will cut your head off but in game it seems like you can go on for a while as a monarchy without real downsides.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arrath posted:

yes, during a battle scroll down and it'll show the battalions involved in the battle. you can mouse over their individual offense and defense values to see which production methods are contributing to those values

CuddleCryptid posted:

What are the advantages of liberalism over authoritarianism? Irl it's obviously because your citizens will cut your head off but in game it seems like you can go on for a while as a monarchy without real downsides.

monarchies that try to actually pass good laws take a really long time to do it because you'll always have the aristocrats in power to some degree and if their clout sucks then your government won't be very legitimate. it's not crippling but it is harder to implement the good stuff when your enactment time is high

other types of authoritarian governments like juntas often don't have significant downsides since they're not tied to the landowners

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 29, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Jazerus posted:

yes, during a battle scroll down and it'll show the battalions involved in the battle. you can mouse over their individual offense and defense values to see which production methods are contributing to those values

Ah ha. I'd tried mousing over the composite defense/offense values by the battle progress bar, and over the portraits farther down. Thanks.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I've gotten to the point in a Joseon game where I'm a massive enough economic force that I want to attempt to free myself from the Qing in say 5-10 years. Where/what on earth are the requirements I need to do/meet in order to do this?

I cannot make heads or tails of the diplomatic screens still at this point. Do I need to first tank our relations in order to open up the play somewhere?

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Also has anyone ever had the option to diplo-annex vassals? I've had Catalonia as a vassal for ages and I don't even have a greyed out button to integrate them.
You probably need to lower them past cordial first. From the diplomacy lense, select annex subject and hover over them to see the requirements. Clicking into their country won't have anything listed under plays which you can't currently do.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

wukkar posted:

You probably need to lower them past cordial first. From the diplomacy lense, select annex subject and hover over them to see the requirements. Clicking into their country won't have anything listed under plays which you can't currently do.

This is pro advice. Annoyingly, other interaction methods (right click context or the diplo/interactions tabs) won't show options you can't do, the lens is the only way. And then the very top of the tooltip will tell you why you can't perform that given action against whoever you're mousing over.

IME its generally either relations too high or they're sneakily on the other side of a strategic region border. Fuckin interests, man.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That was something that I was wondering because it seems weird that you can't peacefully integrate friendly territories you're allied with and are senior in a customs union but you purposefully have to get them low enough to diplomatic play?

What kinds of tools do you have for German Unification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I colonized some Pacific Islands. To get people to move there do I need to build somewhere for them to work then subsidize the building until people move there and make the building profitable?