Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Arcade needs an equivalent of DotAs WTF mode. Random heroes with all random abilities. Let Rein have Moira's teleport and Mei's ice wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
What are your cursed maps?

I never win on loving Illios Ruins. I swear my winrate for it would be sub-20% ever since the launch of OW1. God I hate that loving map.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
new queen street is the only push map that isnt rear end

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've been having great fun with Torb in Comp, I know there's a ceiling I'll hit at some point due his turret only working on dipshits but I'll enjoy the ride until then.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Welp, I've finished the Battlepass, or at least the normal tiers. Time to give up Overwatch!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Well I've encountered something that's come the closest to slightly tilting me: A Torbjorn in Deathmatch throwing his turret into the tree ledges in Paris and teabagging every person he killed and spamming "Bingo!".

The really annoying thing is he got 2nd.

Yeah that would tilt me too

He should be spamming "You should try my meatballs!"

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Nearly finished the battlepass and lmao what an absolute bunch of garbage that is. Least I have tons of skins from OW1 but the fact they dont even give free players the most basic of palette swap skins every 3-4 levels is a joke.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Even the premium battle pass is mostly trash. The free one is full on a joke

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

At least in most games if there's a bunch of really nice skins only like 5% of players you meet are going to have them, it must be so poo poo for the new f2p players who never played OW1 to see a large chunk of their team with skins they can really never ever get unless they spend stupid amounts of money.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's definitely a bummer to play heroes I wasn't around for in OW1 like Echo and Baptiste and have literally nothing for them. I guess unless you count the choice of OW1 or OW2 looks. :smith:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Overwatch had some advantages from being released when it was, but an absolutely enormous disadvantage was that the F2P/battle-pass business model wasn't really around then. So, they release this full-price game, dominate the market for a little bit, and then get totally blown out of the water by Fortnite, which has way better monetization and can leverage that into a much faster content update cycle.

This is a painful transition period, but I don't really know how they could've had a chance to survive without a business model reset like OW2.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

surf rock posted:

This is a painful transition period, but I don't really know how they could've had a chance to survive without a business model reset like OW2.

Sure but they didn't have to make the battlepass suck so hard.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Sure but they didn't have to make the battlepass suck so hard.

Plus 10 on this. I haven't played Apex Legends since OverWatch 2 launched, but going back to it today after seeing some cute Twitter stuff that warms my cold inhumane heart, I looked over in the battle pass and all the stuff I didn't do, and I only bought one battle pass ever for Apex and never finished that one, but there are so many poses, voice lines, and weapon skins which of course they couldn't really do for OverWatch but there are so many emotes and so forth you can get in the paid battle pass, and the free one has a lot of good stuff in it too.

OverWatch 2 is almost the Albertsons of these games now; Albertsons is a local grocery store but they were the last grocery one to have the stupid reward cards you sign up for to get the deals that all they do is track what you spend and when you spend it. So a lot of people that liked Albertsons because they didn't have that card were now pressed to get another card for discounts, which is probably one of the reasons Albertsons started to close their stores because people just weren't shopping there anymore. They jumped on the bandwagon way too late for to make a positive difference for them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it wouldn't surprise me if this particular battle pass was so incredibly stingy because they knew the relaunch would bring back a huge initial playerbase as it is, so there's less incentive to add in an extra F2P draw when you're likely gonna get people dropping 1000 blizzcoins in droves

only time will tell but it's definitely the thinnest of gruels as far as free battle passes that i've seen in a while

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

The Fortnite model is great for a battle pass and the best in the business I think. Playing for free and dont want to pay real money? The free battle pass gives you roughly I think over 300 free v-bucks (their currency) if you complete that season. The paid for BP costs 950 v-bucks (about $10) so after roughly 3 seasons you've earnt enough v-bucks to buy the premium BP. Once you have that premium battle pass if you complete it you always get about 1500 currency by the end of a season and as the premium battle pass is 950 you will never ever have to pay for it again (if you don't spend those v-bucks in the shop). You're getting 1500 a season so by the end you have 950 to unlock the next season and then have roughly 500 change left over, I've played like 10+ seasons now so I've got thousands there to spend on any skins or emotes in the shop if I really want to, which I rarely do because honestly the skins, emotes etc they give out in the BP are really good.

Overall it's just really good value imo, easily worth $10, you get some great skins, tons of cosmetic stuff, tons of challenges that keeps the game interesting (and those challenges tend to unlock more things), emotes, etc etc. And like I said you get the premium BP if you play regularly you never have to pay for one again. If I was an OW developer I'd be embarrassed we're asking people to pay for that battle pass.

Obviously no one can compare to the juggernaut that is Fortnite so I didn't expect them to be that generous as Epic can afford to be, but it does feel like they've put in the most minimum amount of effort there.

edit: The fact that Fortnite has that incentive for the free player where they know if they play 3 free seasons they will earn premium also helps keep them coming back for at least 3 seasons which is like 9 months or so of having someone play your game and maybe get tempted to buy something in your store, they know what they're doing.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 30, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i feel like OW's basic format does them no favors when it comes to monetization, too, since there's not a ton of cheap filler options that people actually give a poo poo about. league usually puts a ton of little emotes you can spam into its free battle pass, but the closest equivalent OW has is the souvenirs which are something you use in the first 15s of a round and then like, maybe once when you're sitting on the payload

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Apex monetization and battle passes really suck, but even then it’s still miles better than the :effort: OW2 got.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I decided to see Fortnite's battle pass compared to OW2. And yes I know its' a bit unfair comparing the first time Blizzard has done a battle pass to Fortnite who have had years to perfect theirs but... I don't care:

21 items I would consider bad items, things like sprays, animated gif emotes (they hold up their hand and a little gif plays) and player icons. You can argue these are or aren't actually bad I'm just using them in comparison to sprays and such OW. Filler.
10 loading screens, 1 per page.
9 skins, all 9 of them unique (though one is a two in one where it has an emote that you can transform back and forth in game)
8 skin variations (mostly alternate colors, some of them are alternate looks like a helmet or different hair)
30 accessories: things like back blings, pickaxes, gliders, weapon skins, and contrails. Aside from the contrails, there's a full set of a back bling, pickaxe, weapon skin and glider for each of the 9 skins (the one exception is Gwen Stacy in this one, who doesn't come with a gun skin. However last season Darth Vader came with his own weapon skin, so that can vary)
3 menu songs
5 emotes (6 if you want to count the one that's built into the one skin that can transform into the other one)
And finally the last thing is the V-bucks, of which you earn enough from the battle pass to buy the next battle pass, if you are the kind of person who can restrain yourself and not buy like Kratos or Ariana Grande when they come onto the store (I am not that person)

Going through OW2 battle pass, let's see what they have. I'll be generous and not include weapon charms and souvenirs in the "bad items" pile since they're fully modeled things, even though I think they're bullshit and they were only created in OW2 to have more extra poo poo to fill out the battle pass.

A new hero, Kiriko (this can't really be compared to anything in Fortnite since they don't do unique heroes, only skins).
35 bad items. These are things like sprays, player icons, and name cards (again you can argue these aren't are or aren't actually bad. They're filler)
4 emotes
8 victory poses
13 voice lines
4 highlight intros
10 charms and souvenirs (5 weapon charms, and 5 souvenirs). The souvenirs thing is nothing and might as well be the animated gif emotes I mentioned in the Fortnite battle pass. At they very least make all of these weapon charms. Frankly they belong in the bad items section bringing that up to 41 but like I said I'll be generous sine they're 3D modeled things)
9 skins. Of those 3 of them are epic quality and are basically recolors of the base skin.

Like to me, the Overwatch one is just extremely weak, especially when several emotes/victory poses are repurposed from old stuff (like Junkrat's sipping emote) and I think this game's version of filler is much more egregious than Fortnite's.

On top of that, this doesn't take into account several other things Fortnite has:

First off, there's a second "bonus" battle pass. This is basically for if you play enough to get to 200. This one is a little different in that it doesn't have sprays, gif emotes, or player icons. There's another emote, weapon skin and contrail. There's 21 skin variations in this. The last 3 pages are like special super bonus styles that are like gold and shiny and have animated effects on them, etc. Basically a reward for grinding to that point. But the other pages have skins that are also really nice and worth getting, in this specific case the skin of Gwen without her mask off (it's based on Spiderverse BTW so it looks right out of the animated movie). This doesn't cost extra, it's just a bonus set of skins and stuff you want to grind that much.

Second while it's not directly attached to the battle pass, each season there is a two page mini pass that has a unique skin (complete with back bling, pickaxe, player icon, spray, glider, two skin variations, and a loading screen. Maybe an emote too?). This doesn't unlock for several weeks into the season, but it's basically a bunch of challenges that you complete to unlock each of the things in this little mini pass. This is free, you do not have to even own the normal battle pass to access this. This season it's The Herald, which appears to be the in game story villain for this season, but last season it was Indiana Jones. It came with a normal version of his skin and a version where his shirt is ripped open. You do the quests associated with each thing in this mini pass and you'll unlock the thing. Most of the stuff is thematically tied to the skin as well.

Finally I can't comment on how fast OW2 rewards you with XP (I've heard it's not super great), but I can say that Fortnite throws XP at you for doing literally loving anything. Every single thing you do in a match gives you XP, there's quests upon quests ranging from the weeklies that want you to do very specific things, to milestones like "thank the bus driver 20 times". There's constantly events and weeklies and dailies and holiday quests and if you play on any kind of regular basis, the game just throws XP at you go get the battle pass fully leveled up. Hell you can even play the single player Save The World mode and it has a daily battle pass XP cap you can hit that rewards almost 10 levels per day if you want to go that route as well. Also related to the quest skins, there's even quests to unlock even more variations within skins, so far it seems to be at least one per battle pass. Last season it was a toy skin that had interchangeable parts and you collected them by finding tokens and doing weeklies. This season it's a pickaxe that one specific battle pass skin can use that gives you different variations on how the pickaxe can look.

And yeah it's a little unfair to compare Blizzard's pass to Fortnite's, but it's not like Blizz has really earned any good will here and there's a lot about the OW2 one that is just so weak.

I'm sorry I typed so much about Fortnite.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 30, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Macaluso posted:

And yeah it's a little unfair to compare Blizzard's pass to Fortnite's,

Not at all. It’s hilariously bad from a company that big and rich.

Hell, they could have filled it with OW1 skins for new players to earn and give currency if you already had them and it would be 10x better.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
but overwatch gave me a 3D modelled slice of pizza! for free!

I don't even know what you do with the "souvenirs". Like do they display in-game somehow? What even are they?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

SadisTech posted:

but overwatch gave me a 3D modelled slice of pizza! for free!

I don't even know what you do with the "souvenirs". Like do they display in-game somehow? What even are they?

emotes I guess?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Souvenirs are a fancy emote yeah. If you go and look at them you'll see each hero has a unique animation and if you equip one you'll put it on your emote wheel.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I decided to see Fortnite's battle pass compared to OW2. And yes I know its' a bit unfair comparing the first time Blizzard has done a battle pass to Fortnite who have had years to perfect theirs but... I don't care:

Blizzard has also had years to look at EVERY game that does a battle pass including Fortnite and still churned out this poo poo so yea I think even if you could say well Fortnite makes billions there's just no excuse really.

There's a reason I still jump into Fortnite fairly often with friends or solo and that's because the progression is actually really great, the BP has stuff I usually want and I actually feel like each game I play is netting me some sort of reward, as you said you're getting XP and being rewarded for basically doing everything and all of that goes towards new things from the BP as well as on top of that the challenges which often give you stuff or tons of progress towards the next level really just makes the game actually rewarding to stick with. Whereas OW2 like OW1 I'll be bored of I'd say in the next month or so and maybe jump back in when a new hero drops...

... and as I typed that I just remembered when the next hero drops I wont be able to play them unless I finish a massive chunk of the next awful season pass.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 30, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
yeah I hate to be that guy but a single Twitter thing with two Apex character lore has dragged me back to that game. It's hard to stay hyped for Overwatch when there's just nothing fun or new. I was trying to get to the level to get Kiriko as an unlocked but drat it's such a drag.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

yeah I hate to be that guy but a single Twitter thing with two Apex character lore has dragged me back to that game. It's hard to stay hyped for Overwatch when there's just nothing fun or new. I was trying to get to the level to get Kiriko as an unlocked but drat it's such a drag.

a fun thing about OW lore is that in six years the lore is basically "Overwatch might be getting back together to fight ????"

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

a fun thing about OW lore is that in six years the lore is basically "Overwatch might be getting back together to fight ????"

and also bastion had an octopus on his head but torbjorn took it off.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the most important piece of overwatch lore so far is that Reinhardt has a girlfriend (wife?) named Brigette

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

also Winston isn't the only sentient animal, there's also a hamster. the hamster is winston's rival

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I found the quips that suggested a deeper lore was really cool for a couple years but then nothing happened.

On the other hand I try to think about the lore as little as possible because it is so far removed from what the gameplay is.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I finished the battle pass yesterday and I don’t get what the big deal is? I got a bunch of skins and a sick genii customizable skin for 10 dollars? I don’t get why everyone so mad? Zero gameplay is gated behind the battle pass?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

hello internet posted:

I finished the battle pass yesterday and I don’t get what the big deal is? I got a bunch of skins and a sick genii customizable skin for 10 dollars? I don’t get why everyone so mad? Zero gameplay is gated behind the battle pass?

I'm right there with you. All the content in the battlepass is good, you don't have to buy it if you don't want, you can earn a decent amount of your battle pass fees in games so it amounts to a $20 per years subscription. The gamified unlocks are fun. Just ignore the shop.

It seems like an OK way to fund a cloud server bill and whoever makes the content and single player modes.

headcase fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 30, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Monetization vice Premium battle pass is ok,
Also the Seasonal Doomfist skin for a fiver. That's a fair price.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 30, 2022

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Push maps are a drag, back and forth, back and forth. Starting to just quit and requeue when I see one.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
so what i'm hearing is that overwatch needs goku.

ooh, ooh, get me this skin for wrecking ball

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Battlepass wouldn't be terrible with some tweaks:

More worthwhile rewards in general, but especially on the free track. Color swap skins would be easy candidates for this.
Less grind. Either by increasing the general amount of XP you get for playing or by reducing the requirement for levels or number of tiers.
Actual currency rewards so that people can earn their own choice of cosmetics at something resembling an actually reasonable rate.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

:yeah:
Gimme some colour swaps.

Or add old currency rewards to the track so that people can get old skins they've missed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Issaries posted:

Also the Seasonal Doomfist skin for a fiver. That's a fair price.

I ended up getting this too. Decent Doomfist skin with the 500 coins seemed like an alright deal. Used my monthly gamestop pro credit to buy it from the eShop on my Switch :haw:

[edit] Also re: gold/plat climb being brutal. It feels rough for sure, but the quality of matches have been pretty good on my end for the most part. Decent matchmaking. I went 7-8 in my most recent batch for tier adjustment and got put into Gold 1 for support queue. I really thought I was gonna get deranked after a few of those losses, lmao. So far I've gone Silver 4, Silver 2, Gold 4, Gold 2, Gold 1 after 35 W's on support; a lot of those wins were a struggle, especially most of the rank adjustment matches.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 30, 2022

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

Compare this to what Riot has done in the same time lol.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

leftist heap posted:

Compare this to what Riot has done in the same time lol.

they really fumbled the bag. They managed to create a bunch of legit iconic characters people love and other than the occasional cinematic and *comic* didn't do bupkis with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The community filled that void, among a few other "voids" pretty quickly.