Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
time will tell I guess, but MTG Summit seems to be the much bigger, much better priced, and overall much better formatted MTG event. Seems telling that the majority of big names not from WotC Themselves seem to be going to that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

People don't have a "warped perception" of what an even costs to attend, the warped perception is that it's OK for them to cost as much as they do.

Are you yourself a convention organizer? Because you seem hell bent on failing to convince people of what is reasonable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This card is kind of insane especially since it can be grabbed out of exile with Karn TGC.

The issue is that you can't play tron into karn on T3, get this and crack it. The decks that you want this against will kill you a turn faster than this.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This card is kind of insane especially since it can be grabbed out of exile with Karn TGC.

He can also wish for it to start which is cool. Other than Surgical I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by this kind of effect recently tho. I wonder if it would have been too oppressive without the Sorcery speed clause?

Neat card to have around for sure. It’ll probably join the ranks of Spyglass and Basilisk Collar for cards I put in my wish board I never bring in lol.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Apples to apples, EVO was also in Vegas and was $125 at the door with another $110 to get General Admission to the Arena Finals. And it did not come with a pile of resellable merch, afaik. You're comparing $125 to $160 and $235 to $350. Yes, the commander bundle was high. But, putting it at around $200-250 would have been about industry standard.

True yeah, I was thinking CEO, combo breaker and frosty faustings, etc. I've always thought it's kind of lame that Evo charges extra for the finals as well tbf, but I get why they do

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fadam posted:

He can also wish for it which is cool. Other than Surgical I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by this kind of effect recently tho. I wonder if it would have been way too oppressive without the Sorcery speed clause?

Necromentia is actually pretty good in Modern these days.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I’ll take your word for it. I see it in boards occasionally but I’ve never cast it or had it cast on me.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fadam posted:

I’ll take your word for it. I see it in boards occasionally but I’ve never cast it or had it cast on me.

It's very good against the Creativity decks, Titan and 4c Rhinos which are all Tier 1 or 1.5 decks at the moment.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cactrot posted:

Are you yourself a convention organizer?

I used to be. Which is why I have a pretty clear understanding about how much it costs to put on an event.

I still attend conventions, and talk with people on the circuit, so I keep current.

One of the big things is how much of a shift there has been with cons running primarily on volunteer/underpaid labor transitioning into actually paying people (which is good, because corps don't need your free labor, and labor should be compensated), but also drives up costs.

Like, for instance, I attend GenCon every year. I pay $150 for a ticket, ~$1000 for a hotel, $250 for priority hotel reservations, ~$100 for add-on events, and that's before we get to travel/food/drinks. To me, it's a worthwhile vacation. For others, it's an extravagance.

But, and this is important, GenCon runs smoothly. Their website is good, we always get what we are expecting, there's no lines, events fire on-time, and the staff are helpful. That's what I'm paying for there. Obviously, M30-goers didn't get that, which is its own problem.

However, I'd love to get a peek at the balance sheets for the old CFB/SCG events, or this new MtG Summit, to find out where the money trail is, because I can't imagine making enough back on add-ons without some other revenue stream, while offering free gate.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Yep. It’s a solid SB card that has definitely won me games playing scam

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Read it carefully before you get too excited lol

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fadam posted:

This won't do anything fair.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Crown is cool and will be good in standard

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

discontinuity had some fun shenanigans, but yeah lol

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

finally the wheel of Magic opinions has returned to "Jester's Cap is busted"

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The Stone Brain being able to hit lands, including basics, is an interesting twist on the effect. Unmoored ego already did that and had no real impact, but maybe Blood Moon decks can do something with it.

BioThermo fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 29, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Soul Partition loving owns, give white more conditional/taxing counterspells

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Soul Partition loving owns, give white more conditional/taxing counterspells

I really wish that said nonland permanent or spell.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

BioThermo posted:

The Stone Brain being able to hit lands, including basics, is an interesting twist on the effect. Unmoored ego already did that and had no real impact, but maybe Blood Moon decks can do something with it.

Oh dang I didn't even catch that. Probably still not quite enough, but definitely makes things more interesting if you can repeat it and just pull all the basics out of your opponent's deck

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh dang I didn't even catch that. Probably still not quite enough, but definitely makes things more interesting if you can repeat it and just pull all the basics out of your opponent's deck

spending multiple turns with Karn TGC in play to stop my opponent flooding

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
More like I'm going to let my living end op keep the copies in their hand so they don't draw any cards

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/BryantACook/status/1586462294921203713?s=20&t=IwJn-VIZuBVn8aVN_QBH7Q
I love cards like this.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

That’s kind of sick at instant lol. It’s cool that you don’t delve the fuel away so you can cast your other copies at a discount.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fadam posted:

That’s kind of sick at instant lol. It’s cool that you don’t delve the fuel away so you can cast your other copies at a discount.

Right. And if it never finds a place? Fine. But give a card a chance to be playable somewhere at least.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Another prototype dropped:

Not really into this one.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Don't sleep on it. The best part of the prototypes is that they scale. The valve being "cast" isn't trivial, but cards like this can be very powerful in the right situation. Having haste and trample can make this card kind of swingy. Its a meh card on its own though, at least it seems that way.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Wedding Announcement gonna eat a ban if any more good white cards get shown

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm still wondering if golden argosy/prototype is going to be a deck

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

spending multiple turns with Karn TGC in play to stop my opponent flooding

It's definitely not good, but denying mana just seems like the only way it's even remotely playable :shobon:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Modern Dredge.

Sickening posted:

Don't sleep on it. The best part of the prototypes is that they scale. The valve being "cast" isn't trivial, but cards like this can be very powerful in the right situation. Having haste and trample can make this card kind of swingy. Its a meh card on its own though, at least it seems that way.

The problem with this is that you can't cheat it into play. Maybe if there is a powerstone ramp deck it would play this.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ooh I like this one

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Modern Dredge.

Actually I hate it now.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Seems nice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Framboise posted:

Seems nice.

The fact that it only triggers once a turn makes it awful.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mcmagic posted:

The fact that it only triggers once a turn makes it awful.

if it wasn't once a turn it'd be one of the best card draw engines printed recently dude

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The Worlds tournament has been really fun to watch

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

This thing is gonna be such a blowout in draft as the prototype. Really glad at mythic it won’t show up much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.