Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I've been the passenger of vehicles doing the tailgating and when I point it out the driver denies that they're doing it. Some people suck so much that they think that's just normal driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It also depends where you learned to drive. I ended up developing the habit of driving too close(still not tailgating, but closer than I like) driving in dfw where a 1 car gap is gonna get you cut off.

If you are used to everyone being 2 ft apart at 90mph, doing the proper thing and doing 2 car lengths feels weird af and not normal

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I've been driving for almost twenty years and I've still never understood the tailgating thing. By which I mean, I drive the speedlimit, usually maybe five over, and I'm almost never tailgated. Sometimes I am, I guess, but like... I don't think there's an expectation for me to drive faster than five over so it is what it is. I don't feel unsafe; they're not going to hit me. If I have to slam on my brakes for some reason, I feel rather like the person behind me is in more danger than I (though I realize it also contributes to my lack of safety.) It's just, it's dangerous as gently caress on the road and someone driving a little too close behind me doesn't add that much to the danger scale.

Now, on the other hand, I think some of the most dangerous people are "brake checkers." I don't know if these people actually exist, but there sure are a lot of them on Facebook/my family who brag about how if someone drives too close to them, they like to slam on their brakes. Because the best way to be passive-aggressive is to put yourself, the other person, and every single other person nearby at risk of a loving fiery automobile death because one other person is being a little rude to you. loving just drive and stop trying to out-jackass each other on the road.

But since we're talking about cars: USE YOUR loving DIRECTIONALS

I'm a pedestrian primarily; I only use my car when I leave town. Though I live in Oregon where "every intersection is a crosswalk" or whatever, people driving are just going to drive how they drive, and even if I'm wearing the brightest outfit with lights and horns, a lot of drivers just have Pedestrian Blindness. I frequently have to awkwardly stand at intersections and try to gauge the vague body language of vehicles to see if they're going to suddenly turn and run me over while I'm trying to cross the street. Your directionals aren't just for other cars; they're for pedestrians, too. They tell me if you're going to turn or go straight. I need that information before I can cross the street.

BUT ALSO: Don't hold up nineteen cars of traffic behind you because you think a person near an intersection might be crossing. Your VERY sudden kind gesture causes cars to also VERY suddenly brake. And sometimes, sorry, I guess I was just near the intersection with no intention to cross and now I look like a loving jerk because you held up traffic.

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Oct 26, 2022

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
tbh the people who tailgate are a very specific subset of people in the specific area where i live (you know, the yellow snake flags and the moron labels and the trump 2050 bumper stickers, who are a distinct minority) which is part of why i figure i'll get shot some day

and brake checking is bullshit
when i say i go slower i mean i go from five over to exactly the speed limit via ceasing to accelerate and gently using the brake pedals so the lights turn on to warn the guy behind me that i'm slowing. i don't want him to crash i want him to go the gently caress around me and stop being my problem

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

RFC2324 posted:

It also depends where you learned to drive. I ended up developing the habit of driving too close(still not tailgating, but closer than I like) driving in dfw where a 1 car gap is gonna get you cut off.

If you are used to everyone being 2 ft apart at 90mph, doing the proper thing and doing 2 car lengths feels weird af and not normal

at 90 mph the gap should be much much longer than "2 car lengths" lmao. at that speed "2 car lengths" is tailgating.

90 mph is 132 feet per second; conventional wisdom is "2-3 seconds" of time between you and the person in front of you. in other words, at that speed, you should literally have an entire football field between you and the car in front of you.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

DontMockMySmock posted:

at 90 mph the gap should be much much longer than "2 car lengths" lmao. at that speed "2 car lengths" is tailgating.

90 mph is 132 feet per second; conventional wisdom is "2-3 seconds" of time between you and the person in front of you. in other words, at that speed, you should literally have an entire football field between you and the car in front of you.

An impossible thing in that kind of traffic!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

RFC2324 posted:

An impossible thing in that kind of traffic!

if there's that density of cars on the road i guaran-loving-tee you you're not going ninety loving miles per hour

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
People whose speed is not at all related to road conditions or the actual speed limit. The other day I was doing 83 in an 80mph zone. A tacoma flys past me. I exit and proceed to catch up to him on a road that's 75mph. He's doing between 65 and 70 at random so I can't even set my cruise control without accidentally tailgating him and having to slow down. About 20 miles later the speed limit drops to 70mph because of a county line and he starts going above 75. What the hell are you doing?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wonder how many people are unaware that signage exists along the roads, and just sort of wing it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

InediblePenguin posted:

someday i'll get shot for this bc i live in america, but whatever, at least then the tailgater will end up prison since i don't live in a stand your ground state

lmao probably less likely than you'd think

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

credburn posted:

But since we're talking about cars: USE YOUR loving DIRECTIONALS

I'm a pedestrian primarily; I only use my car when I leave town. Though I live in Oregon where "every intersection is a crosswalk" or whatever, people driving are just going to drive how they drive, and even if I'm wearing the brightest outfit with lights and horns, a lot of drivers just have Pedestrian Blindness. I frequently have to awkwardly stand at intersections and try to gauge the vague body language of vehicles to see if they're going to suddenly turn and run me over while I'm trying to cross the street. Your directionals aren't just for other cars; they're for pedestrians, too. They tell me if you're going to turn or go straight. I need that information before I can cross the street.

lol i don't live there anymore, but as a pedestrian in philly, not only did people not signal, but when they did signal, sometimes they'd do the opposite! signal to turn right, i start crossing the street, then they change their mind and blow through missing me and my dog by 5 feet. it's like they went out of their way to be as scary as possible

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

I wonder how many people are unaware that signage exists along the roads, and just sort of wing it.

Over the last year I got a Subaru with a built in map (that I never use because Google Maps is way better), and I've become spoiled by it displaying the speed limit on the dashboard right next to the speedometer.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Milo and POTUS posted:

lmao probably less likely than you'd think

That's fine, I'll be dead so i won't loving care

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
My driving pet peeve is when at an intersection, there is a clear line painted on the road to indicate where to stop. The front of your car should be just behind this line.

Yet 90% of people are either completely over this line, or for some reason more than a car length behind it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Master Twig posted:

My driving pet peeve is when at an intersection, there is a clear line painted on the road to indicate where to stop. The front of your car should be just behind this line.

Yet 90% of people are either completely over this line, or for some reason more than a car length behind it.

:agreed:

it is kinda fun to cut the people who stop way back from the line off tho

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Internet videos that show a neat thing but only in slow motion or with alternating speeds but without any version of the video just as it was. Slow motion is cool but it's also real cool to see things in normal speed :mad:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Master Twig posted:

There is an intersection near where I live that I'm positive will be where I am killed and die. At least a dozen times in just the past year, I've almost been hit while riding my bike because people don't seem to know how stop signs work. And then they get mad at me.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I bought some Halloween candy earlier, and decided to sample some, whatever, I'm only human.

Two.
I am annoyed on behalf of all children around the world.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I bought some Halloween candy earlier, and decided to sample some, whatever, I'm only human.

Two.

Well they are called "M&Ms" and not "M&M&M&M&M&M&M&M&Ms" There are two Ms.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Two.

Good 'ol shrinkflation. I encoutnered that this month when I bought the spooky snack mix, and eight of the eighteen bags were cheetos, that were 0.65 oz bags as opposed to the old normal of 1 oz bags.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Atticus_1354 posted:

People whose speed is not at all related to road conditions or the actual speed limit. The other day I was doing 83 in an 80mph zone. A tacoma flys past me. I exit and proceed to catch up to him on a road that's 75mph. He's doing between 65 and 70 at random so I can't even set my cruise control without accidentally tailgating him and having to slow down. About 20 miles later the speed limit drops to 70mph because of a county line and he starts going above 75. What the hell are you doing?

The speed limit is 55, I'm doing 60 here's a car passing me. A few minutes after the speedlimit increases to 70, I pass them doing 75. 5 minutes after the speed limit drops to 60 they blow past me while im going 65.

It's OK, it was never unsafe, fine, but just what are you doing in there? What other signs disinterest you?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I have to walk through this a couple of times a week. I've witnessed 5 collisions this year.

The latest was a girl in a shiny new VW Beetle who'd just passed her test (cars here have a special plate for new drivers). She did absolutely nothing wrong but an Audi suddenly decided to cross 3 lanes of traffic and slammed into her driver side door so hard he almost flipped the car.

I normally avoid police when possible but stuck around to give a witness statement as she was terrified. Luckily the area has loads of traffic cams so I hope it hasn't killed her car insurance for life.

It's 5 pedestrian crossings to get from one side to the other. People inevitably drive onto the crossing and stop there during heavy traffic, where they're too far forward to see when the lights change when the crossing activates. So when space clears ahead of them they start driving while people are trying to cross and then run into traffic coming from another junction.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Master Twig posted:

Right next to where I live is a fire station with a space about three car-lengths long that says KEEP THIS AREA CLEAR. There's a stop light just ahead of that area, with room for about one car. So what happens, every day, all throughout the day, is whenever there is a red light, one car drives up to the light and stops. The next car stops at the appropriate next space in line, which is just before the KEEP THIS AREA CLEAR indicator. And while we wait for the red light to change, every person who is new to this area or doesn't notice the giant fuckin firestation will lay on their horn thinking the person in front of them doesn't know what they're doing.

You'd think I live on the busiest fuckin intersection in the city for how much horn blasting goes on.

Unrelated, you know what's kind of annoying me today? I've read at least three posts by people who say "I'm dead," but what they mean is "lol" maybe? I suppose the implication is "I've died from laughter," but all I see is "I am dead." Obviously they're not dead. Actually, I saw this earlier this week, which makes me think this is like trending slang. Which makes me think back to how "dying" in Elizabethan times was slang for having an orgasm.

"I'm dead" = I am dead, I am laughing, I am cumming.

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Oct 28, 2022

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Responded to a year and a half old post. Oops!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Got these alcohol wipes and the hinge broke on the lid three wipes in

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

With a little elbow grease and ingenuity it shouldn’t affect your sex life that much

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Brawnfire posted:

*inhales* MY SISTER in HECATE,

We should not be doing in the year of our lord 2022

credburn posted:

The :confused: smiley has done a better job illustrating a personification of my emotional state than anything else in life, including actual real life facial expressions.

Speaking of which, the blinking question marks are a pet peeve of mine. (edit: the fact that they blink, not the question marks themselves)

RFC2324 posted:

:yossame:

I also am amused to see SA emojis sneak in from other users who have not identified themselves as goons. :toot: has been a common one to see

We have [the emote that : awesome : used to be] and :hmmyes: on our work Slack, but I don't know whether or not those were goon things first.

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Oct 28, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

We should not be doing in the year of our lord 2022

I was just being a bit weïrd

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Brawnfire posted:

I was just being a bit weïrd

Yeah, I thought we were just keeping the joke going, but alas :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

So... the hurlyburly's done?

Edit: legit I'm just making Macbeth jokes over here, I'm not funny I'm sorry

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Oct 28, 2022

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
My neighborhood has a vibrant "curb alert" scene. So I put an old desk out on the curb so that somebody who could use it would be able to pick it up. I even posted an alert to the relevant Facebook and other social media groups.

Instead, the local "scrap guys" drove by and picked up all of the middle, supports and left the wooden desk top, and the hutch sitting on the curb.

Now it's useless, and I am going to have to pay to have the remainder picked up and thrown out.

Thank you so much you loving assholes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol those guys are buying meth

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Master Twig posted:

My pet peeve is when I see the line and want to respect it, but the town/city has done something completely stupid to render the line useless. For example, in my town there an intersection to get on the Main Street of my town from my place. There’s a nice clear crosswalk and in front of it a line you should be behind. That’s fine, I don’t mind stopping there. Except they also have a bigass power pole standing in grass area next to it so if you are parked behind that line you cannot see if there is any incoming traffic from the right because the power pole is blocking line of sight and people who live on the Main Street usually have vehicles there as well. So in order for me to accurately decide if I can make the turn I need to move up until I’m also onto the crosswalk and only then can I make the decision to turn. Car coming? Whelp, now I’m boned and have to sit on the crosswalk until it’s safe to turn.

Luckily it’s a small town and it’s not busy enough to cause any kind of issue but it’s still absolutely stupid.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hate those sicknesses that just sneak up on you.

Yesterday, I was waiting for my wife to finish her shower so we could have a nice Friday night beer and watch a show while the kids were asleep.

Five minutes later I'm laying in bed feeling like I'm gonna die. Two minutes after that, just hurling like crazy. Crashed and slept, shaking and sweating, for twelve hours.

I just wanted a beer :smith:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Brawnfire posted:

I hate those sicknesses that just sneak up on you.

Yesterday, I was waiting for my wife to finish her shower so we could have a nice Friday night beer and watch a show while the kids were asleep.

Five minutes later I'm laying in bed feeling like I'm gonna die. Two minutes after that, just hurling like crazy. Crashed and slept, shaking and sweating, for twelve hours.

I just wanted a beer :smith:

shoulda had a shower beer with the wife

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
That happened to me earlier this year-- feeling okay one minute, all of a sudden hit by nausea. Spent the rest of the night and next morning unable to keep anything down, slept through a fever breaking that afternoon, and then I was fine again.

Just annoying when it's on a weekend, too. At least let me get out of work :argh:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Love how Lastpass complains about me reusing passwords because it's too stupid to realize I'm just logging into the same account across multiple urls.
Imagine that? Single-sign-on and sites with multiple different urls? Incredibly niche, I understand why they get confused.

Also, love how sites like Twitter harvest every goddamn thing you do, yet cannot be bothered to save/sync stuff like your settings.
Surely this has nothing to do with most settings defaulting to the things you don't want, and most stuff being opt-out instead of opt-in.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When you’re driving with someone giving you directions and they only say when to turn after you’ve passed it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

shoulda had a shower beer with the wife

Here's a pet peeve: how likely my son is to wake up if my wife and I are both in the shower :negative: Sleeps like an angel any other time, but if we're both wet well, all bets are off

Parasol Prophet posted:

That happened to me earlier this year-- feeling okay one minute, all of a sudden hit by nausea. Spent the rest of the night and next morning unable to keep anything down, slept through a fever breaking that afternoon, and then I was fine again.

Just annoying when it's on a weekend, too. At least let me get out of work :argh:

I *always* get sick on weekends. I just missed out on a chili dinner because I couldn't leave my bed and subsisted on pop tarts and juice until four in the afternoon.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Oct 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Also, when you ask someone for the address and you get a long list of directions instead.

"Cool, I'll be on my way soon, what's the address?"

"Yeah mate you gotta get on Burwood Highway and head out of the city way out past Knoxfield, take the turn to Belgrave and..."

"What's the address"

"alright mate you with me so far, so you keep going until you're way out beyond the black stump, then hang a left at the farm with the weird looking cow but"

"You still haven't told me where I'm going"

"but if you go past the cop shop you've gone too far, hang a u-turn and that farm will be on your right now and"

"WHAT'S THE loving ADDRESS"