Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I'm looking for tent recommendations. Basic requirements are that it should (very) comfortably fit 2 and require no cords for setup. Weight is not a major concern, I care about durability, venting and waterproofness more. Options in northern Europe are limited, but I'v been eyeing the Marmot Limelight, MSR Elixir and Jack Wolfskin Skyrocket. Any opinions on those three or alternatives would be great.

To give you an idea of whst's available, you can check out this and this.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if the brand is available where you are, but we recently got a North Face Wawona 4 and have been happy with it. It has only been through one light rain, so I can't vouch for water proofing over all, but it seems solid. Ample room for two adults and one small child, while not being quite the massive monster that is the 6 (although I do sometimes wish I had bought the 6 for the vestibule).

Definitely a car camping tent of course. Not something you'd want to haul on your back.

Sorry I can't help you with the other options. I think (assume) sites I usually use like switchbacktravel and outdoorgearlab are US centric in their product reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

incogneato posted:

I'm not sure if the brand is available where you are, but we recently got a North Face Wawona 4 and have been happy with it. It has only been through one light rain, so I can't vouch for water proofing over all, but it seems solid. Ample room for two adults and one small child, while not being quite the massive monster that is the 6 (although I do sometimes wish I had bought the 6 for the vestibule).

Definitely a car camping tent of course. Not something you'd want to haul on your back.

Sorry I can't help you with the other options. I think (assume) sites I usually use like switchbacktravel and outdoorgearlab are US centric in their product reviews.

I have the Wawona 6 (massive monster indeed), and have had it in several absolute downpours and have remained dry.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The REI Halfdome 3+ has been a real work horse for me. I'm not American but at the time I bought it the price and the strength of my currency made up for the international shipping costs.
Pound for pound it is way roomier and way more airy than any similarly priced tent on the market.

It has happily housed two 6'+, 200lbs+ men with lots of room for gear and personal space for 50+ nights, and a few nights with 3 occupants in a pinch. Lost the personal space and room for gear but it does actually fit 3 full sized adults.

If you can get it anywhere near the cost of a 4p Elixir I think it's a no brainer.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Is there an easy way to strap snowshoes to a backpack? Mine are 36" so pretty unwieldy when they bounce around

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

evilpicard posted:

Is there an easy way to strap snowshoes to a backpack? Mine are 36" so pretty unwieldy when they bounce around

A big portion of this problem depends on your backpack. What kind/size of pack do you have? Does it have any lashing points or cross traps that you can use to secure them with?

I always bring some rope/webbing to tie my snowshoes together and then to my pack. One of my packs has really good external straps that they can fit under, the others just some lashing points. Look up Voile ski straps, they are what MSR snowshoes (used to) use as securing straps so it would be nice having spares handy just in case.

Most people store them vertically on the outside of their pack. Some prefer crampons in vs out but as long as they're secure it shouldn't really matter much. If they're flopping around they might rub a hole in your pack.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I have a couple cinch straps that I use to keep mine on. Although my newest pack has cords specifically for snowshoes.

This is a decent summary: https://sectionhiker.com/how-attach-snowshoes-to-backpack/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

evilpicard posted:

Like others said, depends on your pack. Sometimes I've had to just use straps between the bindings on the snowshoes and clip those to my pack somehow.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions. For winter I would normally use a stratos 34 or exos 48 which have best attachment points for horizontal loads (not great for 36" snowshoes) but I will play around with some of the suggestions unless anyone has some magic bullet gadget for this.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Anyone have opinions on eddie bauer down jackets? I have a 50% off coupon I'm thinking of using for my wife.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
They make great jackets and usually one of the less expensive jackets you can buy when compared to anything you find at REI.

I've got several from them, one nicer 850 fill with a hood, I think down lite is the series. The other is a lesser filled jacket (cirrus?).

I love both. I live in Seattle and wear the cirrus all the time. It's a nice balance of light weight and warmth. It's the jacket I bring on day hikes when I need a warm layer without taking up a lot of space. It packs down really well. When worn under a rain shell, it's pretty nice.

My down light is almost too warm for out here I'm you're doing anything remotely active.

The biggest downside, no pun intended, to Eddie Bauer stuff is they don't always have the most rugged materials and their stitching could be better.

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 30, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cool thanks. They're the only ones in my price range that are rated for how cold it gets here (-20 - 40 lol)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
IME the First Ascent-branded stuff is where they put that extra effort into materials & tailoring. For example, in the past I've had the Cirrus, which has I think 650-fill and is a little "floofier" fitwise, and now have the MicroTherm (FA), which has 800-fill down and fits a bit snugger. Same with rain jackets; Cloud Cap (regular) and Super Sevens (FA) - the latter has more material layering with the same weight, and extra waterproofing treatments in addition to a less boxy fit. Of course, all of this means it's more expensive as well. Eddie Bauer is one of the few brands who still make tall sizes so I get to know them pretty well.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
They also have a great warranty (or did) if you actually use it. I had one of the micro therm down jackets that one of the seams came undone in the pocket and all the down fell out. I returned it like, 2 years later and they replaced it.

Looks like it's now limited to a year.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Thanks to whomever recommended the grip6 belts up thread. I always thought they looked ok in their ads but had doubts. Your rec was enough to tip the scales. Soooo much more comfortable and lighter than what it's replacing.
I had actually bought a couple pairs of pants with drawcords because I hated wearing a big dumb belt with lightweight pants. Now I'm gonna have to figure out how to stitch on belt loops

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They're great. Sturdy enough to carry anything I put on them (eg bear spray), but otherwise I forget I'm wearing a belt.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

evilpicard posted:

Anyone have opinions on eddie bauer down jackets? I have a 50% off coupon I'm thinking of using for my wife.

Eddie Bauer makes nice stuff, all my daywear jackets are it and it will routinely hit subzero temps here with a shitton of wind for weeks in winter.

The ones I like:

packable down parka Deceptively light but will keep you warm into single digits. I go up a size so I can layer underneath as winter jackets all seem to be tailored snugly anymore and I like my bulky sweaters. don't pay over 99 bucks for this; it goes on sale every year. Great for travel, dog walking, etc but as others have mentioned, not the most durable fabric.

For 'holy poo poo why are you outside/do you live where the air hurts your face' I like their Sun Valley line, mostly the parka. I find the duffle coats are too drat long and get muddy. You will get hot in this coat if its above 40F, which is why I recommend picking up the above as well because that I can comfortably wear into the upper 50s unzipped.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have their superior down parka from back when I lived in Chicago. It was their heaviest down parka for men. I used to take the bus/train all the time so I needed something for temps and winchills down to -20f. It was crazy how warm that jacket was and I still have it even though I live in seattle, but I have zero use for it. Its just way too warm but its such a good jacket I have a hard time donating it/giving it away.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Speaking of general use cold weather gear.

After years of pining after them I finally got a parka from WinterGreen Northenwear. Was pricey but its popular with a lot of knowledgeable people up here in northern MN. Now I just need it to get cold enough to bust out and use.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man I can't wait for winter now that fall is over. I am hoping I can catch a storm on the north shore of Minnesota, sending waves crashing up against those cliffs.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Does anyone have any suggestions for boots that are: a) lightweight, b) waterproof, c) comfortable for wide/flat feet, and d) wouldn't look incredibly dorky if worn casually? These guys mostly fit the bill, but I had to return them 'cause they were too narrow.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Nestharken posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for boots that are: a) lightweight, b) waterproof, c) comfortable for wide/flat feet, and d) wouldn't look incredibly dorky if worn casually? These guys mostly fit the bill, but I had to return them 'cause they were too narrow.

Salomon X Ultra 4 Mid Wide?
https://www.salomon.com/en-int/shop-int/product/x-ultra-4-mid-wide-gore-tex-lg3743.html#color=81740

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

If you like zero drop shoes for your flat/wide feet then the Altra Lone Peak mids might be a great choice.

https://www.altrarunning.com/shop/mens-shoes-outdoor-adventure/mens-lone-peak-all-wthr-mid-al0a4vqh?variationId=000

Otherwise, Salomon, Merrell and Lowa have good wide options in a variety of subdued colors.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/x-ultra-4-mid-wide-gore-tex-lg3743.html#color=49318

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-3-mid-waterproof/52470M.html?dwvar_52470M_color=J036549

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/everyday/malta-gtx-mid-olive

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I was extremely disappointed in the waterproofness of the waterproof Lone Peak mids.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

I'm looking for tent recommendations. Basic requirements are that it should (very) comfortably fit 2 and require no cords for setup. Weight is not a major concern, I care about durability, venting and waterproofness more. Options in northern Europe are limited, but I'v been eyeing the Marmot Limelight, MSR Elixir and Jack Wolfskin Skyrocket. Any opinions on those three or alternatives would be great.

To give you an idea of whst's available, you can check out this and this.

Thanks in advance!

Old post, but I'm the same country and gotta say that we've been super happy with our Robens Boulder 2 tent. It's really light, super easy to set up with minimal fiddling*, durable and waterproof. At 200€ it's a steal.The Boulder 2 fits pretty comfortably a small woman and a medium sized man, and they also have Boulder 3 for 20€ more that is probably very comfortable for two.

*there's one ridge pole that they give really confusing info on their set up guide, but when you get how its supposed to work its e-z.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Doll House Ghost posted:

Old post, but I'm the same country and gotta say that we've been super happy with our Robens Boulder 2 tent. It's really light, super easy to set up with minimal fiddling*, durable and waterproof. At 200€ it's a steal.The Boulder 2 fits pretty comfortably a small woman and a medium sized man, and they also have Boulder 3 for 20€ more that is probably very comfortable for two.

*there's one ridge pole that they give really confusing info on their set up guide, but when you get how its supposed to work its e-z.

Ah, thanks for the help! I actually got the Marmont Limelite 3P last week, which turned out to be a proper huge tent. It should be just fine for us, but I'll keep the Boulder in mind if we ever feel like it's too much tent. It's deffo cheap enough that getting it for an occasional hike wouldn't be an issue.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Nestharken posted:

I also have had good luck with salomon for lightweight boots (as far as boots go) that fit wider feet. But if you're at all concerned about waterproofness, don't get a mid height boot, just get a boot.

Anything that's waterproof is going to become very waterlogged and take forever to dry once water gets inside the boot. And if the big, assuredly non-waterproof hole at the top is just barely above your ankle, that is guaranteed to happen in any conditions where waterproofness actually matters.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

if you don't totally require waterproof, the lowa renegade gtx is very comfortable for wide feet

just make sure you SPECIFY wide. The 10 wide is different than the 10.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Morbus posted:

I also have had good luck with salomon for lightweight boots (as far as boots go) that fit wider feet. But if you're at all concerned about waterproofness, don't get a mid height boot, just get a boot.

Anything that's waterproof is going to become very waterlogged and take forever to dry once water gets inside the boot. And if the big, assuredly non-waterproof hole at the top is just barely above your ankle, that is guaranteed to happen in any conditions where waterproofness actually matters.

The problem with most full height boots is they tend to be heavier and decent leg gators perform the same function, if not bettter. If you plan on walking through swamps, bogs, or deepish streams a lot then maybe a high boot would suffice. For myself in the snow and most rainy conditions a mid size boot + gators is how I am going about. Also, I really dislike high boots in hill or mountain terrain as it reduces flexibility (I know it offers more support, but I also do not have the ankles of a 80 year old man).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
There's a big variance in height between "mid height" boots. I find Moabs tend to be pretty low. One of my biggest complaints about the Moabs was always getting debris in my boots over the cuff. The way the treads are designed, I was always getting dirt and stuff kicked up in my boots especially if I was wearing shorts.

Salomon quest boots tend to be a little higher. It's all dependent on the boot and your needs. If I need boots, I prefer them to be higher otherwise I prefer trail runners.

And yes, gaiters can be the biggest difference between dry and wet feet.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I have some upcoming 3 days backpacking trips so I have been day hiking with the pack again. I think I may have found the perfect loadout simulation.

In the main body, a full 3l bladder and 2 car camping sleeping bags stacked vertically. They fill my ULA circuit all the way to the top. In each of the side pockets, a 32oz insulated steel flask.

The weight and balance are nearly identical to my planned loadout and much easier to pack.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Anyone have recommendations for a good backpacking dog bed? Doesn’t need to be super warm, but just some padding for our pup to sleep on so she has her own ‘spot’ in our tiny tent.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'd suggest a z foam mattress. It will insulate from the ground well enough, it's light. Won't puncture and you can fold it in half for more padding or trim it to size.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah just get a cheap zlite and either fold or cut to size for your dog. Been doing that successfully for years now.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

We use a Zlite for most trips. We also have this sleeping bag for him that he doesn’t really get into, but does offer a little more insulation from the ground and can be pulled over him if it gets really chilly.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for the recs so far!

Forgot to mention that we have a zlite-like pad that we’ve tried and I don’t think she likes it. She’ll always migrate off in the middle of the night and onto our sleeping bags. It’s also just really bulky for backpacking when we (adults) are already overloaded since we’re hiking with two small-ish kids. I’ve been looking more at things that inflate.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

newts posted:

She’ll always migrate off in the middle of the night and onto our sleeping bags.

This just sounds like typical dog behavior to me. Ours always wants to cuddle with us no matter the arrangement.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This just sounds like typical dog behavior to me. Ours always wants to cuddle with us no matter the arrangement.

Yeah, I know. I’m just trying to solve the problem since it bothers my husband. He wants her to sleep… outside in the vestibule :ohdear:

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Hello camping gear thread! Today I'm going to embark on an experiment!

Things are starting to get a bit chilly in Finland. Night temps will be hovering around -3 to -5 celcius soon. I have a decent sleeping bag, but no insulated pad. I only have a Klymit Static V which has an R-rating of more or less 0. But what I do have is 2 of them! So tonight (and possibly some other nights this week) I will attempt to place the two Static V's on top of each other to see if that helps the insulation. My logic is that this way the inflated bits of one pad will notch into the non-inflated bits of the other, making a single pad consisting of only inflated bits, which should help insulation maybe...we'll find out!

Wish me luck. Here's hoping my kidneys don't freeze.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I predict it won't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Two uninsulated air pads won't really work since there's still no insulation there. Insulation can be combined but only if there's insulation in both pads to begin with. Many people double up and use closed cell foam or self inflating pads on bottom and an insulated air pad on top in cold weather situations.