Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1585727205581107200?s=46&t=4PApgE4RxbsRkIdFPjcLLg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dave giving us the SRS treatment

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

"The story of why my camera wouldn't turn on"

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Johnny Gargano "The Rides That Made Us" Power Rangers episode finally made it to the top of my Castro list. It's a good one. It was recorded when he was a free agent sounds like Johnny probably had to go back to the WWE to fund a crippling memorabilia addiction. Very cool guy though I enjoyed it a lot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

larry dental records

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

larry dental records

Larry needs braces

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hope it's about his floor remaining paper free

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
during cleanup he found proof montreal was a work after all

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Decided to listen to the Lance show for the first time in a while and lord he's really lost it. Turned off last week's show before Jericho vs Dalton Castle and didn't like the MJF/Regal segment.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Decided to listen to the Lance show for the first time in a while and lord he's really lost it. Turned off last week's show before Jericho vs Dalton Castle and didn't like the MJF/Regal segment.

I used to love the weird pedantic robot energy he brought to the show, but at some point he became terrible. I think he's unlistenable now.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i like lance shows because of his trolling of bryan but it does often sound like what draws in modern wrestling has completely passed him by and he's judging shows on merits that don't really matter anymore.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

What was his issue with the MJF/Regal segment? I'm assuming it's the one I'm thinking of, with the emails and poo poo, right?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
How long is it until Lance joins the Mark Maddens/Dutch Mantels/Cornettes of the world and becomes an Anti-AEW Twitter Grifter?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Drakkel posted:

How long is it until Lance joins the Mark Maddens/Dutch Mantels/Cornettes of the world and becomes an Anti-AEW Twitter Grifter?

The grift is too dishnorable for Lance imo

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

larry dental records

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

edogawa rando posted:

What was his issue with the MJF/Regal segment? I'm assuming it's the one I'm thinking of, with the emails and poo poo, right?

He thinks it was bad that people cheered what was an entitled heel promo, whined about the Participation Trophy generation who wants everyone to be champion, said MJF should've hammed it up with sarcasm to be more obviously heelish instead of sounding like he actually believed what he was saying. He's been basically negative on everything MJF has done for a long time because he doesn't want heels to have any depth beyond cartoonish evil. Since he views MJF's grievances as illegitimate he also wants it to be clear that MJF knows they aren't legitimate. He wants MJF to turn and wink to the camera after obvious fake whining or something.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Cartoonish evil is the best kind of heel. Every heel should strive to be 1999 Big Bossman

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

He thinks it was bad that people cheered what was an entitled heel promo, whined about the Participation Trophy generation who wants everyone to be champion, said MJF should've hammed it up with sarcasm to be more obviously heelish instead of sounding like he actually believed what he was saying. He's been basically negative on everything MJF has done for a long time because he doesn't want heels to have any depth beyond cartoonish evil. Since he views MJF's grievances as illegitimate he also wants it to be clear that MJF knows they aren't legitimate. He wants MJF to turn and wink to the camera after obvious fake whining or something.

Well... he's just plain wrong.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Lance gets stuck in his ways of what is the "right" way to do things.

Sure this MFJ kid is getting huge reactions, with the crowd hanging on his every word and fantasy booking where this story could go, but he needs to wacky it up for some reason. Why have fans invested and debating the morality of his character when he could be a guy who is just evil to be evil. That is much more compelling!

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Stall_19 posted:

Every heel should strive to be 1999 Big Bossman

I've been saying this for years. He's undefeated at being evil. I miss it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

beepo posted:

Lance gets stuck in his ways of what is the "right" way to do things.

Sure this MFJ kid is getting huge reactions, with the crowd hanging on his every word and fantasy booking where this story could go, but he needs to wacky it up for some reason. Why have fans invested and debating the morality of his character when he could be a guy who is just evil to be evil. That is much more compelling!

It's not bad advice for a certain kind of product but it's very bad advice if that's not the product you're making. That is absolutely not the product AEW is making.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Well... he's just plain wrong.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DangerDummy! posted:

I used to love the weird pedantic robot energy he brought to the show, but at some point he became terrible. I think he's unlistenable now.

The "some point" was the exact second he started working for Impact again.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Goat posted:

The "some point" was the exact second he started working for Impact again.

Lance was a little weird after he came back post WWE firing. Maybe the pandemic broke him.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I also don't like how much the audience gives MJF so much benefit of the doubt, but that doesn't mean the storyline isn't working.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's not bad advice for a certain kind of product but it's very bad advice if that's not the product you're making. That is absolutely not the product AEW is making.

He's working for the cursed half life company now instead. Man if only impact could get crowds that don't make the product feel so dead, but it's such a hard sell with that audio.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He’s not getting the benefit of the doubt he’s just been doing stuff that makes people want to cheer him.

He’ll kick a door into a dog’s face or something in a month or two and people can go back to booing him.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

tilting at windmills because lance isn’t gonna see this and nobody here’s really agreeing with him, but
this is basic villain poo poo and they pulled it off really well in the punk feud: mjf has moments where he’s sympathetic and gets the audience to empathize with his point of view and where he’s at in life and then they eventually demonstrate that the villain is a villain not because of circumstance but because of how they ultimately decide to handle conflict and hardship.
the interesting part about the regal/mjf stuff is despite them doing something really similar with mjf last year, you can still ask “has he really changed” and you don’t have a concrete answer yet (even if there’s a broad assumption as to the answer) which is imo still a lot more engaging than lance’s stupid idea.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
when he said this is real my ears perked up, yet another going into business for himself??

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

He will win the belt at Full Gear by doing something that makes us all go 'oh poo poo, he really is the Devil'. He's still a heel, and he is lulling us into a false sense of security such that the catharsis when he wins will feel more devastating than anything we've ever felt in wrestling.

At least, I hope that's what he's going for. I'm reminded of Blood and Guts, when MJF roared at the camera in anger with his face all bloodied,
and I could only think, holy gently caress, this man is a loving demon. I had never truly felt that about anyone in wrestling before, and I knew then and there that he was going to beat Hangman for the belt. (Granted, that was before Punk came along and hosed everything up, but in an ideal world where Punk didn't come back, MJF would have won the belt from Hangman earlier this year. But that's by the by.)

Now, sure, you could easily call MJF's work over the past couple of weeks bad heel work, or even babyface work, because the crowd's now cheering for him. MJF, the character, meant everything that he said to Regal, because it all happened to MJF, the person, exactly as he said it did. (Likewise with Regal's reply, which made the whole thing one of the best promos of the year.) Sure, after the main event he could have really been acknowledging that actually, he was about to take a shortcut to the top, the Firm was part of that shortcut, and MJF really did fire the Firm. What if, however, he thought of Regal's reply as a challenge, that he should do everything he can at Full Gear to prove that he's the Devil without shortcuts, without the ring, without the obvious and hackneyed 2021 House of Torture bullshit that everyone expected from the Firm? When we inevitably see the Firm on MJF's side at Full Gear, what role are they going to play that doesn't involve beating up Mox while the ref's distracted? How does MJF steal the win from Mox without resorting to the same old heel poo poo, and how does he keep the belt over the coming months without everything falling apart?

I dunno. It'd be the biggest letdown if at Full Gear, actually, MJF was lying, and he's going to beat Mox exactly as we expect, but I am really hoping that MJF wants to do something in that match which we'll never expect, that'll truly make him into the best heel in the world. If Lance Storm doesn't think that'll draw, oh well, that's his problem.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I think it's more likely that MJF, despite being a tremendous heel, won't be able to stay boo'd forever and they're setting up a babyface turn.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think it's a case of them setting up MJF to be the Devil.....but if he gets super over as a babyface they probably need to keep him as a babyface long term plans be damned

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm in team you don't gently caress around when the universe hands you a super over babyface, even if that person is more comfortable being a heel.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Honeydicking us over and over again with an MJF babyface turn will get old. Not sure we are there yet, but they can only do this so many times.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

They're trying to build up sympathy for the devil! Open your eyes sheeple!

Edit: I really loved that MJF v Darby match from the one PPV. I hope they run that back soon!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

81sidewinder posted:

Honeydicking us over and over again with an MJF babyface turn will get old. Not sure we are there yet, but they can only do this so many times.

Don't worry. They have only 14 months before he goes to WWE.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MJF's gonna hold the belt for the next 14 months, make TK think he's going to re-sign until the last second, then he'll sign with the Fed and throw the belt in the bin live on Smackdown

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Then he says: "You knew that I'm the Devil, you loving mark!"

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

0konner posted:

Per WOL, after 2 nights Dave’s video set up has failed. Something went wrong and according to Alvarez they never showed Dave how to reboot the equipment return of video WOR is TBD.

Bryan going to Dave's birthday party and filing it as a business expense under the guise of "setting up a camera"...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mjf going face right now would be like if the rock had been a despised heel who had a large stable built around him as the centerpiece and figurehead, which then turned on him, and allowed the crowd to naturally start cheering for him because his act was the exact same as when he got over as a bad guy, but aimed at the bad guys now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
MJF is gonna Jabroni Al Snow