Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Like, how do you even reconcile the sentiment that the OP is on the right path with the fact that he's literally never made a single donut, worked in good service, or baked even as a hobby? You might be the only person in this thread that's as dumb as Rationale, if not dumber

Because I've successfully started and ran a business for 3 years along these same lines of inexperience at the start. It was a year of nights and weekends before it actually could take a customer. Then we realized "oh poo poo" and made a ton of changes. That said, my business partner was an IC w/5 years experience in the field we're in. I brought in the automations that gave our business a chance and a leg up on the competition. Prior to that I got to work on some def co programs that had program-killing risks from day 1 that were worked, resolved, and led to an on time, on budget system. I've seen "this really doesn't look good" turn out okay.

The path to start a business is often messy. The chance of success is ALWAYS low. If you have a killer risk, there's a point where you focus up and either call in the expertise you need, develop the expertise yourself, or fail...but that failure point is not 2 months in. That said, sucking the fun out of the romance period will undermine the chances of success, small as they may be perceived, so I choose not to do it. I'm not saying he's cruising on the highway to success, he's driving around some back roads buying up semi-related poo poo not related to his key risks. However, nothing about what he's posted says that theres some big consequence to taking an inefficient path. It will delay the start and lower the time he has to address the risk, but if that's his journey to his dream that's okay w/me. Not gonna cry for the lost commercial rent if theres a chance he gets to do somethin he finds rewarding.

Your feelings that "one should have deep knowledge of the field they start a business in" are valid and to be successful 100% necessary. It is not possible to be successful at making donuts professionally, without a lot of donut making knowledge. He currently has none. If he isn't planning to sell a donut for another 6 months, then he has 6 months to develop that knowledge, bring someone in who has it, or find some solution to this problem.

Again, I agree that there are showstopper risks here. Can make high quality donuts is maybe the number one risk. The risk is not an issue yet. It is a risk to be resolved.

EDIT: I've also talked 1:1 to the founders of >50 seed stage startups and my ability to predict which will be successful or fail is lol hilariously bad, so I don't bet against people anymore.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

D'oh! :haw:

GL, hope they taste good. Post your trip report for goonscience.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I stand corrected! Look at this technical and schedule risk reduction! Way 2 go dude. If these donuts are amazing, beautiful. If they suck, you'll figure it out!

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/a/0n15Fzo

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Why does Home Depot even sell sheds? Those Danish bastards will roll a shed right into your yard ready to go for $2k, doors and all.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

How are you going to shape them?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

How are you going to shape them?

3-1/2” rings using a handheld cutter.

First round was buttermilks and self-rising flour. The kids helped so everything was ruined but I fried it anyway and I was pleasantly surprised. The flavor was somewhat like a biscuit with a funnel cake texture. I’ll keep this dough in mind in the future because it’s fast and literal children didn’t mess it up too bad.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

CarForumPoster posted:

Why does Home Depot even sell sheds? Those Danish bastards will roll a shed right into your yard ready to go for $2k, doors and all.

Yeah we spent more on grade work than the sea cans themselves. They’re not perfect but I can’t think of cheaper storage at that price point.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Sssssssecond proof

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Lol, those are way too thin

Edit: they might be okay, as in they'll be edible and they'll rise at least a little. But they're awfully thin, especially the rounds. Those are supposed to be spheres before they proof and fry

Edit 2: how will you get them off the tray? We used to just put everything on the screens to proof, then put the screens in the fryer. Ones that had to be moved after proofing usually deflated and/or came apart. Same with yeast bread, they go through the final proof the way they go into the oven (pizza dough is the only exception I've worked with)

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 29, 2022

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They plump when you cook 'em dummy, that's why they're called raised donuts

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

op please be careful and don't set your yard on fire

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Lol, those are way too thin

Yeah, and the ones at the top are even worse. Way too small and not even a hole in the middle

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Adolf Glitter posted:

Yeah, and the ones at the top are even worse. Way too small and not even a hole in the middle
And both of them look like they're raw, there's not even any icing. Terrible donuts, F-

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/a/OzBJ4Iy

Shoutout to whoever mentioned potato flakes that was the best batch by far

Rationale fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 29, 2022

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
Why are you frying donuts in a pan on cinder blocks in your yard what even is happening

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Thank you for finally giving us some of the donut content I've been craving, OP :patriot:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Now sell them

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

hattersmad posted:

Why are you frying donuts in a pan on cinder blocks in your yard what even is happening

Deep frying is fuckin stinky doing it in your home kitchen without real great ventilation. I don’t blame him for doing that part outside lol.

Pictures look pretty good op

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Do any baker goons know if potato would work in buttermilk dough

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

were they good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rationale posted:

Do any baker goons know if potato would work in buttermilk dough

You’re the baker goon now

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Elephanthead posted:

Now sell them

Yeah that’s always the tricky part. The drive-through will help move some dough but I think just spamming the local community with donuts will lead to orders over time. First taste is free.

The coffee will sell the donuts and vice versa. By doing both my average transaction probably doubles. I’m trying to design my espresso bar by visiting coffee shops but they’ve all been catastrophically slow.

I think I’ll open with 3-4 of the dunkin/bucks automatic drink machines. Maybe they’ll make enough money to buy a bespoke high-volume four-headed espresso machine. If the place never makes it at least I’ll only have a few thousand in espresso rather than like a new Honda civic’s worth.

The last tim Horton’s I did had six bunn coffee makers with two hot plates each and they held 24 cups but I’m just gonna do regular and decaf so I’ll probably just get two.

Then decaf reminds me I’ll probably need four grinders but on second thought maybe I won’t serve decaf lol.

My youth wrestling coach is a design/build manager and he’s enthusiastic about the project. He’s gonna meet my wife over there Thursday and get familiar. I hope he doesn’t beat me upside the head too hard but at the same time I’m grateful that he’s willing to participate.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rationale posted:

I’m trying to design my espresso bar by visiting coffee shops but they’ve all been catastrophically slow.
Maybe there's a hidden message here for you. Why are you going to be any different?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Lol now there are the lovely donut photos I was expecting, thread delivering today

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

hattersmad posted:

Yeah I don't think this one's a fair gripe. If his kitchen doesn't have a good vent or is small, doing it outside saves him having to deal with a fine sheen of oil on basically everything after he's done.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Rationale posted:

https://imgur.com/a/OzBJ4Iy

Shoutout to whoever mentioned potato flakes that was the best batch by far

Ya welcome. Holy Donut and their potato flour or riced potato or whatever they do make some seriously great donuts https://www.theholydonut.com/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Holy Donuts has good flavors, but the texture is really hit or miss, and often misses. Next time you're in Portland, check out Hifi Donuts

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

no, you will not make money in donuts and coffee. close thread

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

no, you will not make money in donuts and coffee. close thread

I’m gonna be rich eat my rear end

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rationale posted:

I’m gonna be rich eat my rear end

See. OP knows what the end game is, it’s all good !

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Duckman2008 posted:

See. OP knows what the end game is, it’s all good !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g314lc9ejbY

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
If I went into an independent donuts and coffee shop and they had a starbucks machine I would never order anything but drip from them OP. I would probably just never return.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

What the gently caress is a Starbucks machine

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Super-automatic espresso machine with an integrated grinder, if I'm thinking of the same thing he is, which is an unhinged thing to get four of off the bat. Reliably makes terrible espresso and it's more expensive than a less automated one. They make sense if you are a franchising megacorp who wants literally anyone to be able to make consistent, terrible, espresso.

The other thing he could be thinking of is the push-button consumer machines they hock which are significantly worse.

Just get a Bunn and some airpots.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
They’re cheap and ubiquitous actually. The results aren’t great maybe but I’ve been snapping these machines up for as little as $50. Most Dunkins and Starbucks use them so they’re literally all over the place.

Gonna do drip as well obviously but I want those yummy milk margins.

I’m a big believer in diminishing returns. The first 20 percent of the effort yields the first eighty percent of the results. A real espresso machine capable of keeping up with rush hour would cost months of wages. The espresso is better, but not by $20k.

If my coffee is exactly like theirs but ten minutes closer they’ll pick me every time. Then I can throw down on a real-deal barista jungle gym because I’ll be selling 500 drinks a day and I can afford it. If my coffee sucks and my food sucks and my store sucks I won’t have to eat poo poo as hard when I give up.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

So I work in the kitchen of a small coffee shop/cafe and I don't know a ton about the coffee side of things but I'll tell you this: the reason the independent coffee shops took so long to make drinks is because actual good espresso takes time to make. We have a machine with two dispensers (? Like I said I know very little) and it takes time to get shots right. We've got the grinder next to it so someone is occasionally grinding more espresso. They have to pack the little handles and tamp them down, weighing them to make sure it's right, then let the machine make it and weighing the shot after. Sometimes they throw shots away for reasons unknown to me (I think if it brews too long???) so that means it takes more time to make the final drink. And you know what? On the weekends (the only time I work) our line is long as hell from like 9am to 1 or 2pm, and we're steady the rest of the day until maybe 5 (we close at 6). People have no problem waiting for their drinks because they're made right by people who give a poo poo about coffee and know what they're doing.

We buy pastries from local bakeries though because we're not insane.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Yeah mixed espresso drinks are “painfully slow” for a reason. I’m not even a coffee snob but I walk further to get coffee on weekends because the two shops closer to me make watery as poo poo americanos and mochas that just taste like chocolate and milk

People don’t really mind waiting an extra minute or two for a good espresso drink.

E: I guess I’ll just ask this here. I’ve never worked at a coffee shop so I don’t know anything about an espresso. My GF worked in coffee shops for a lot of her life and we’ve been looking at espresso machines for at home. I’ve been leaning towards a more automated one, but have started wondering if that will make disappointing drinks. We just have a tiny kitchen so I less appliances is attractive. Should we say gently caress it and get one with a separate grinder etc? Or are there good all in one things that you can get for a reasonable price to use at home

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Selling five hundred espresso drinks a day and dollar glazed donuts exclusively to the people that live slightly closer to your location than anything else in a town where median household income is 40k idk man do you really think half the town is gonna be coming by every single day idk I don’t think you’re gonna end up rich is all