Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

mcmagic posted:

WOTC really has leaned into gross money grabs lately, haven't they.

People keep clamoring for the whale-focused content slop so why would they stop?

Doing the convention in Vegas in the most confusing part honestly. Their money would've gone a lot further somewhere that already hosts gaming conventions on the regular, i.e. Indianapolis or Columbus, and it would've been more affordable for a lot of people. That's not a guarantee it would've been any better managed but the resources would've been there at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

The fact that it only triggers once a turn makes it awful.

You can safely parse any of my assessment on cards as an assessment of their value in cEDH and nothing else.

There's a ton of ways to keep making creature tokens in white in EDH, and with a good engine this card basically says "draw 4 cards every turn cycle" which is pretty good. It's niche, but good in that niche.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

It IS a quite unimpressive card outside of Commander or limited.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

These cards are neat, Ashnod seems real nice, the powerstones ramping you into her activated ability is great.

Kayla's Reconstruction has some combo potential but it being sorcery speed is a big safety valve.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

People keep clamoring for the whale-focused content slop so why would they stop?

Doing the convention in Vegas in the most confusing part honestly. Their money would've gone a lot further somewhere that already hosts gaming conventions on the regular, i.e. Indianapolis or Columbus, and it would've been more affordable for a lot of people. That's not a guarantee it would've been any better managed but the resources would've been there at least.

Look, the con is disappointing enough as it is.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's definitely not good, but denying mana just seems like the only way it's even remotely playable :shobon:

It's a sideboard card, but the fact it can go in any deck maybe makes it a little more interesting

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
4 mana 8/8 that has a lot of other modes seems wild.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Am I reading Clay Champion right or would be be a 8/8 for 4 mana in a mono green deck? That seems pretty strong, even though it's vanilla. Though a 5/5 that gives counters to two creatures isn't bad either.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

turning the pieces of Ashnod Anvil in my mind palace

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Alabaster Assembly

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lmao..

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This needed to be created? What in Tarnation?

Sickening fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 30, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Green Reparations

I’m sorry for burning down your village. Have a bear.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dislike on principal!!!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm with everyone on this. It confuses me because I'm wondering what need it fills. It doesn't feel like a card made in a vacuum. It's too blunt. What is the gap it was trying to fill?

Just to hose its own set?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

The Human Crouton posted:

I'm with everyone on this. It confuses me because I'm wondering what need it fills. It doesn't feel like a card made in a vacuum. It's too blunt. What is the gap it was trying to fill?

Pre-balancing Artifact lands that would otherwise break Standard?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

it’s hardly some unprecedented effect, that’s like asking what “need” a wrath fills, it’s just (probably fairly mediocre) mass removal + provides a green thematic counterpoint to artifacts (and potentially a safety valve to stop artifact synergies from getting *too* out of hand, which historically they usually do)

also they sometimes like to play around with perceived values of different effects in artifact/enchantment blocks (see Terror and Shatter in Mirrodin limited)

e: like you know that the deck comprising 69% of the Standard metagame at worlds already generally plays a card that can give them a superior version of what this card does (albeit at 6 mana) in Farewell, right?

LGD fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 30, 2022

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

Another prototype dropped:

Not really into this one.

Do we know what the permanent's mana value is if you cast for the prototype cost?

e: we do

quote:

However, if you cast a prototype spell using the prototype ability, it keeps those characteristics until it leaves the battlefield. That 3/3 Phyrexian Fleshgorger is black, not colorless. Its mana value is 3, not 7. And if you copy it, the copy will also be a prototype—in this case, the 3/3 version of our Phyrexian Wurm friend.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 30, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1586513864178290688
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1586545963749019649

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Probably like a billion people a day every day are all like, "Hey, I'm going out back to [SMOKING HEAD], be back in 5 minutes."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Another prototype dropped:

Not really into this one.

Tbh i think this is better then people think

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
6 power of stats across 3 bodies isn't bad. But is it good in the sort of deck that expects to get to 9 mana in at least some of its games?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
magic 30th pack openings are showing up on youtube. apparently people had one booster included in their "black lotus-tier" convention bundle as a surprise, so people are cracking them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blubcj94Rrs&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGzgZ5OG7I&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZOWVFOvG9w&hd=1

man, if only they had made this a real product and not some insanely priced specialty promo proxy garbage, if these were priced at like, set booster, or maybe even collector booster range, I'd consider getting some. but no, gotta gouge

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Captain Invictus posted:

man, if only they had made this a real product and not some insanely priced specialty promo proxy garbage, if these were priced at like, set booster, or maybe even collector booster range, I'd consider getting some. but no, gotta gouge

I don’t even use proxies, but if these were in the $10-30 range I would have got a few for the fun of cracking them.

I didn’t even know about half the stuff announced during that event until watching the Tap Tap Concede roundup on it. Everything else that was good got zero attention because of how bad this one thing is.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not an Economy Man but given the cost on goods delivered for 2 oz of printed cardboard and a plastic wrapper I gotta imagine they'd have made a ton more on these pricing them at $10 a booster and print to demand, selling by the case to every gen X rear end in a top hat trying to climb through a nostalgia portal back into the last time they felt good about things spending their allowance on The Dark boosters and casting Craw Wurms until mom comes to pick them up in the Astrovan.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Owlbear Camus posted:

spending their allowance on The Dark boosters and casting Craw Wurms until mom comes to pick them up in the Astrovan.

My favorite time in Magic (It was Dodge Grand Caravan though)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

Nissan Quest here

Serf
May 5, 2011

My nostalgia for Magic is centered around when I got my drivers' license and a hand-me-down old truck that I could use to drive to the LGS and use my part-time job money to buy Kamigawa booster packs and draft. Also building a durdly GB spirits deck and getting stomped by Mirrodin-era Affinity bullshit. Also drafting during the original Ravnica, which loving owned.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jabor posted:

6 power of stats across 3 bodies isn't bad. But is it good in the sort of deck that expects to get to 9 mana in at least some of its games?

IDK that something like Mono-G in Explorer/Pioneer would bother with something like this, maybe as a 1-of to wish for in the SB. The Prototype version is interesting, but any deck that would want this as a 5-mana finisher can probably find something that does the job better.

If this shows up it'll either be in the Devotion/Ramp decks or in something that can run Trash for Treasure/Refurbish/[insert cheap reanimator effect here] and cheat it out early.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
reprint Vindicate in a non-Commander set you cowards

also reprint Maelstrom Pulse

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

Plymouth Voyager and Invasion/Odyssey block here

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm not an Economy Man but given the cost on goods delivered for 2 oz of printed cardboard and a plastic wrapper I gotta imagine they'd have made a ton more on these pricing them at $10 a booster and print to demand, selling by the case to every gen X rear end in a top hat trying to climb through a nostalgia portal back into the last time they felt good about things spending their allowance on The Dark boosters and casting Craw Wurms until mom comes to pick them up in the Astrovan.

I’m in this post and I don’t like it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Also lol Brothers’ War seems bonkers so far. Is this set going to be really pushed or am I overestimating what we’ve seen?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TotalHell posted:

Also lol Brothers’ War seems bonkers so far. Is this set going to be really pushed or am I overestimating what we’ve seen?

The two genders, I guess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm not an Economy Man but given the cost on goods delivered for 2 oz of printed cardboard and a plastic wrapper I gotta imagine they'd have made a ton more on these pricing them at $10 a booster and print to demand, selling by the case to every gen X rear end in a top hat

this is what gets me. when poo poo like this seems to not even make sense for the stated goal of the entity acting.

also, pontiac sunbird. me (18) and my friend scott had decided to road trip from Florida to NYC. we stopped at my dad's house in Tennessee, and on the way out of town i bought a box of The Dark, assuming they would be worth money later

i ended up trading it for a box of Jyhad lmao

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I know this has been said before, but I'm really sad that I can't participate in Magics 30th birthday because I'm a filthy poor.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Mtgo or arena (both) should be doing free phantom drafts all weekend.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

precision posted:

i ended up trading it for a box of Jyhad lmao

i traded a loving clean LP UL mox emerald for a box of decipher star wars premiere edition a cracked on the spot. iirc my notable pulls were chewbacca and the aluminum falcon. :smithicide:

This of course pales in comparison to the thing I gotta bring up to hurt myself every time we bring up sucker legacy magic trades we made back in the day: my entire legacy collection including a power and dual laden palinchron-high 5c type 1 tide deck (even had a beat to poo poo sleeve-playable lotus) at y2k prices to help pay for my first wedding lol

my 90's weekend magic excursions were in a 1989 ford festiva on my freshly minted license to the Virtual Gaming Center in Milwaukee, spending my McDonald's after school job paychecks

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 30, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SalTheBard posted:

for me it was this old rustbucket(not my photo), to this day one of only two vehicles that consistently gave me carsickness.

my old hangout as a kid was The Sylvan, a card shop in a small town run by a dude who bought it from a sports cards and comics store owner and converted it into a pretty amazing place to play. then some ebay shitbag bought it, converted the play area to storage for his 10,000 longboxes of cards, and was an absolute monster to his employees and often customers too until he eventually went out of business.

I might have kept playing all throughout the years if I still had that place to play at, but instead I dropped out around Apocalypse and started back up during Zendikar Rising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

precision posted:

reprint Vindicate in a non-Commander set you cowards

It was in Modern Horizons 2, ya dingus.