Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all he did was say that she wasn't being truthful and that he'd continue to block people who yell at him in english because it's not his primary language and he doesn't want to deal with Americans

not wanting to deal with Americans on social media doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat, it's something everyone should adhere to imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxIqCRsxYUA

Came into my recommendations tab and seemed appropriate given recent discussion of Rooster Teeth shittiness. Mind you this is less about awful workplace conditions and more about awful artistic and narrative choices and Warner Bros dickery.

Wait, Gray Haddock cites Urobuchi as an inspiration? The big mecha show Urobuchi worked on was Aldnoah Zero, and he only wrote the setpieces. Plus the show itself was also bad to mediocre.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Delphisage posted:

Wait, Gray Haddock cites Urobuchi as an inspiration? The big mecha show Urobuchi worked on was Aldnoah Zero, and he only wrote the setpieces. Plus the show itself was also bad to mediocre.

This is the same company that told people working on RWBY to study animr classics like Cowboy Bebop which then resulted in RWBY featuring a corgi whose name was a German number.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Arc Hammer posted:

This is the same company that told people working on RWBY to study animr classics like Cowboy Bebop which then resulted in RWBY featuring a corgi whose name was a German number.

People keep citing that as the ripoff when there's way bigger things to be pointing at. Namely all the Korra plagiarism.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I only watched the first season of Gen:Lock and it has the problem of being all set up with very little pay off. Like the opening showed all the characters with customized mechs which only appear at the end of the season. Also while it is good for a show to avoid info dumps of backstory they did the opposite and did so little explaining it was hard to care about the conflict.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Delphisage posted:

People keep citing that as the ripoff when there's way bigger things to be pointing at. Namely all the Korra plagiarism.

There's plenty to point at but being told "watch this show" and then coming back with that is such a standout case of copying someone else's homework.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This video is up, and it is pretty wild.

Note: apparently, getting it on YouTube was a huge pain in the rear end, and it might vanish randomly.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Skippy McPants posted:

This video is up, and it is pretty wild.

Note: apparently, getting it on YouTube was a huge pain in the rear end, and it might vanish randomly.

Yep. Youtube copyright bots are more fickle than Elon Musk on a crack binge so if you want a copy of it in its unaltered form then you better download it while you still can!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Game is the kind of crazy fever-dream of a 90s adventure game that I love to hear about but would never in a million years want to play.

Brünnhilde surfing into Siegfried's funeral pyre was pretty sick, though, not gonna lie.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Specifically the issue is that Ring is constantly blasting high-volume Wagner music over everything, including the dialogue, and there's no option in game to adjust just the music level. So playing any clip is cruisin' for a copyright bruisin' and you gotta play clips because that's where the magic is.

Skippy McPants posted:

Game is the kind of crazy fever-dream of a 90s adventure game that I love to hear about but would never in a million years want to play.

Brünnhilde surfing into Siegfried's funeral pyre was pretty sick, though, not gonna lie.

It was a fascinating era where adventure games were hot enough on PC that any crackpot idea could get gobs of funding and a star-studded cast.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Cryo made and published some wild poo poo back in the day. I miss them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/AirACE1918/status/1586423167345741827

:psyduck:

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
the stock splat noise from the ring game's main menu is permanently burned into my brain from when sgf played it

rox
Sep 7, 2016

fun hater posted:

the stock splat noise from the ring game's main menu is permanently burned into my brain from when sgf played it

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

fun hater posted:

Different Ring. This is the one based on Wagner's Ring Cycle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delphisage posted:

Found an older video giving similar info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsNVy689-E4

Hey, neat. I'll watch the other video instead, rather than this one by a couple of absolute chuds who lie about everything and have a vendetta against the entire animation industry because they're a pair of failed hacks themselves.

Thanks though.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kamiya ftw

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

a couple of absolute chuds who lie about everything and have a vendetta against the entire animation industry because they're a pair of failed hacks themselves.

I apologize. I just saw the words "Roosterteeth sucks" associated with where I found it and assumed it was speed-dial self-justification for my own blind hatred of RWBY.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 29, 2022

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

all he did was say that she wasn't being truthful and that he'd continue to block people who yell at him in english because it's not his primary language and he doesn't want to deal with Americans

not wanting to deal with Americans on social media doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat, it's something everyone should adhere to imo

And a notable thing is that while he said she wasn't being truthful, he didn't go into detail, which if anything was for her sake. Kamiya Did Nothing Wrong™

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Kamiya's an abrasive rear end in a top hat, but he's also usually right.

Also he's funny.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ohh my god i just watched that gen lock video and how did anyone think any of that was a good idea :eyepop:

especially the part about the old mecha in it (as shown in screencaps in this tweet: here); old mechas definitely have issues wrt chauvinism and sexism but that whole bit seemed like the writers only half remembered the plot of some show they saw when they were like, 7 and also really hate all mecha

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mecha anime owns people working on that show belong in a trash can

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its gonna be hard for me to think about Rooster Teeth now without also thinking about Jeff Gerstmann on his podcast a few weeks ago making a crack about them not being sent enough pip-boys

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If it was just "old cartoons were pretty sexist" I could honestly forgive being on the nose and inaccurate about it for brevity, but combined with everything else I think it's just a mechanism for giving the japanese character their weird idea of generic samurai man baggage, which is frankly much worse

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alaois posted:

its gonna be hard for me to think about Rooster Teeth now without also thinking about Jeff Gerstmann on his podcast a few weeks ago making a crack about them not being sent enough pip-boys

I remember that incident. Watching everyone else in the gaming press dunk on them for not knowing about Jeff was a blast.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Booky posted:

ohh my god i just watched that gen lock video and how did anyone think any of that was a good idea :eyepop:

especially the part about the old mecha in it (as shown in screencaps in this tweet: here); old mechas definitely have issues wrt chauvinism and sexism but that whole bit seemed like the writers only half remembered the plot of some show they saw when they were like, 7 and also really hate all mecha

lol, is this intended to be representative of their actual opinions regarding mecha or just a very very very very poorly thought out joke

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Booky posted:

Gaius Marius posted:

Mecha anime owns people working on that show belong in a trash can

Finally, the anime that people who never watched Evangelion assumed it was supposed to be

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Goon Boots posted:

lol, is this intended to be representative of their actual opinions regarding mecha or just a very very very very poorly thought out joke

Probably the former. There's a notorious anecdote where, in preparation for RWBY, Monty Oum made the other showrunners watch a bunch of the best-known anime cause none of them had seen any. The video linked above mentioned that the original guy behind Gen:Lock loved mecha, but after he was gone, nobody else seemed to care.

RT, in general, appears to have a problem with trying to do a thing they think nerds will find cool, rather than doing a thing they have an actual passion for.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Different Ring. This is the one based on Wagner's Ring Cycle.

holy poo poo. looking at the thumbnail thats just some lovely guy and the date of the game release i assumed they were the same thing. i thought i just forgot the lovely guy. time to watch this and learn

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Goon Boots posted:

i feel like its supposed to be representative of their actual opinions on mechas?? because the characters whole Thing is about like, suppressing feelings or smth (before dying)

that tweet also doesn't show the part of the video footage where theres a upskirt shot in the in universe anime for like 5 seconds because, uh :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When I think blatantly sexist mecha characterization my first thought is Wufei from Gundam Wing except I've never encountered anyone online or in real life who actually likes him as a character and even in the show most people think he sucks l.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That chunk of the video was definitely the first time I went from "Wow, this is bad" to outright speechless. Somehow it kept escalating from there until the end. The suicide hotline sequence left me aghast.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I honestly can't tell if it's just the show looking awful or if they really tried to represent achieving cyber enlightenment or whatever by making your CG model ugly in a shiny way instead of a flat way

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Getting awesome eurocomic artists to do designs for your videogames has led to some weird-rear end games, huh.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arc Hammer posted:

When I think blatantly sexist mecha characterization my first thought is Wufei from Gundam Wing except I've never encountered anyone online or in real life who actually likes him as a character and even in the show most people think he sucks l.

Yeah like, even within the show itself all the characters think Wufei is an rear end in a top hat and none of the female characters he mouths off to put up with it. Except Sally I guess, but Sally has the patience of an actual saint and also really, really needed Wufei to agree to bail out her failing insurgency.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Goon Boots posted:

I think it's their attempt to appeal to the zeitgeist by looking "woke" saying "older media used to be racist!". See also: climate change as the motivation for war and making the villain into an Elon Musk spoof.

secretly best girl posted:

That chunk of the video was definitely the first time I went from "Wow, this is bad" to outright speechless. Somehow it kept escalating from there until the end. The suicide hotline sequence left me aghast.

I think the most damning part of this is how this is EXACTLY what happened in RWBY Season 8. Glorifying suicide as a solution and then linking to a suicide hotline at the end of the episode.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 30, 2022

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Claims that a show is about the characters instead of the robots is right up there with using the phrase elevated horror unironically.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Delphisage posted:

I think the most damning part of this is how this is EXACTLY what happened in RWBY Season 8. Glorifying suicide as a solution and then linking to a suicide hotline at the end of the episode.

...how do you do that twice?! I'd make a joke about something in the water at the studio but it seems ill-fitting given, y'know, multiple years of abuse and mismanagement and burnout at Rooster T- ohhhhhhhhh

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Skippy McPants posted:

I remember that incident. Watching everyone else in the gaming press dunk on them for not knowing about Jeff was a blast.

The video was also sponsored by Fallout 4, which was also unsavory.

Which, when you consider Jeff and that whole history of "games sponsoring gaming content" makes a whole lot of sense why it's against it.

And why a great chunk of "current" (2022) era Jeff has been that talking point about game coverage in the modern era, and game journalism falling by the wayside because of monetization.

That division between press and "content creator" is growing, and maybe it's just a bygone product, he did point out the need to pivot to "personality", but bad times for boring journalists who just want to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
After watching that Gen:Lock video, I now suddenly feel really bad for everyone involved in the making of that show except for Gray Haddock, the lady who wrote the awful toxic masculinity episode, and Michael B. Jordan, whose aggressive lobbying for it, it can be credibly argued, is the reason why that second season even exists in the first place.