Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can upgrade more weapons up to my current highest, it’s cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The game throws them at you but there are so many grades you could be overflowing with smithing stone 7, 8, and 9 while you’re stuck at +5 because you can’t find a smithing stone 6 anywhere

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:smith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
They should make a mod to let me play as a Bloodborne hunter in Elden Ring

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1586514792457506816?t=aRQPuJXc7SeKGysMCDsa4Q&s=19

big bummer

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

the witcher TV show feels like a lot of vaguely connected vignettes more than the mythic archplot that i think they were aiming for, especially in S2. there's some genuinely good writing in parts, and they have a lot of great actors pushing what's otherwise often some drab dialogue and witless scenarios further than they otherwise would get

it's not terrible TV, but it's the kind of thing i'm watching primarily for a combination of henry cavill and the hilarious grindhouse gore they occasionally drop in

To be fair the first two books that the shows probably mostly been covering are pretty much vignettes that sometimes lay the groundwork for the poo poo that goes down after Geralt adopts Ciri and the series becomes more of an ongoing saga. I think they added/expanded on stuff like Yennifer’s backstory and changed some other things like how Geralt and Dandelion/Jaskier/Julian were originally friends before the series started in the books, but yeah, I found the actual execution kinda lacking versus the books.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Saw a news story going around saying that a lot of the writers of the show don't like/actively hate the games. As is the trend in Hollywood these days for doing video game poo poo or anime live action reimaginings

Never seen the show so I can't comment but I thought that was interesting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, it's a good thing there are also books of it. Books that the game was an adaptation of.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I recall hearing that Henry Cavill is a big fan of the books and gave a lot of his input/suggestions on stuff, but I don't know about the rest of the crew having a disdain for the source material. The loudest complaints I've heard about the show not being faithful to the books were from a racist subset of the fandom mad that the cast isn't all white people.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

ymgve posted:

the internet caused it to be much easier to become spoiled, which then resulted in counter-spoiler culture becoming much more prominent

I had a friend get upset with me because I messaged him during a nintendo direct when I was really excited about a game that was announced, and he was like "why did you have to spoil that, I was going to watch the direct later." Like drat, I didn't know we have to avoid spoiling commercials now.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Obviously you don't want a bunch of writers who uncritically view the precursor work but if they actively dislike it then that's probably not ideal. With an adaptional product you want to maintain the loyalty of previous fans, as well as gaining new ones. If you go too far in making changes (because you think the games/books are bad) the previous fans will feel slighted and you will get backlash. Ofc you get that anyway with any adaption but in my artistic soul I want people to say "wow its just like I imagined when reading" "you really brought it to life" "I'm Dandelion and I came to life, lets be friends"

If you want to adapt something and make a new story or change a character w/e, sure that's cool but you have to 100% nail every other thing. Otherwise you are just making something that's a bit like what you are adapting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wow, it's a good thing that's not what happened then.

Like it sounds like one clickbait site might have taken an innocuous statement out of context and spiced it up to cause controversy is all.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, it's a good thing there are also books of it. Books that the game was an adaptation of.

Books were included, my fault for forgetting to mention them.

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2022/10/25/the-witcher-netflix-writers-allegedly-hated-books-games/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's a recipe for disaster on this show that was critically acclaimed and had no other complaints from people who worked on it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I mean it's ok if you liked it. I haven't even seen the dang thing I just thought it's interesting that it's a thing that happens.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, I didn't even finish the first season, I just really hate when people take sensationalist tabloid bullshit like this and go "well I didn't actually watch it but I guess it's bad"

Form your own opinion

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Form your own opinion

no

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, I didn't even finish the first season, I just really hate when people take sensationalist tabloid bullshit like this and go "well I didn't actually watch it but I guess it's bad"

Form your own opinion

I didn't say it was bad though. Hiring writers that either haven't seen or don't like the source material has become a common thing, that's all I was remarking on.

E: If you had read the article, you would see a writer was quoted saying he made sure to staff his xmen gig with fans of the xmen, because writing for the witcher where people hated the source material somehow made bad morale for everyone.

Makes a lot of since why Caville would quit after begging for the role and pushing for book appropriate Geralt every season. Again I don't watch the show but all that took five minutes of research.

Not exactly "sensationalist tabloid bullshit". Putting words in my mouth to get mad at wasn't necessary, either.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 30, 2022

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

new world has vastly improved the quest flow in the beginning of the game and it feels like an actual mmorpg now.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

I wonder which of their songs will be playing as Norman Reedus carries his corpse to the incinerator

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

post/avy combo

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Drunk post: why is it the year 2022 and the first thing i have to do for every game I install on PC is set music and ambient volume to 15%? When are these loving nerds going to learn that I don't want my eardrums blown our by your garbage rear end music.

Like in my 30-something years on this earth, the only games that have ever had pleasurable music were need for speed underground and Celeste. If you're not in the 2 out of 250 maybe have some humility and realize I don't want your trash music overpowering every other sound.

Also motion blur, film grain, depth of field, head bob, and chromatic aberration. I know unreal and unity or whatever make these easy to implement, but don't enable them by default on a goddamn first person shooter you loving goobers. My eyes are not a loving camera.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaF-nRS_CWM

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Eyes Only posted:

Drunk post: why is it the year 2022 and the first thing i have to do for every game I install on PC is set music and ambient volume to 15%? When are these loving nerds going to learn that I don't want my eardrums blown our by your garbage rear end music.

Like in my 30-something years on this earth, the only games that have ever had pleasurable music were need for speed underground and Celeste. If you're not in the 2 out of 250 maybe have some humility and realize I don't want your trash music overpowering every other sound.

Also motion blur, film grain, depth of field, head bob, and chromatic aberration. I know unreal and unity or whatever make these easy to implement, but don't enable them by default on a goddamn first person shooter you loving goobers. My eyes are not a loving camera.

Calm down op

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Almost finished with Endwalker and I think it's my least favourite expansion. It's been really disappointing. I think I like ARR more than it :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Eyes Only posted:

lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That guy is the angriest gamer I've ever heard

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What a shitload of gently caress!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is it worth fretting over missing the Royal additions to P5?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the extra chapter is very good, I think it's hard to miss unless you totally don't do the extra social links

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

You should go for it imo, its hard to miss unless you've actively avoiding the new mans.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Eyes Only posted:

I agree about chromatic aberration tho. That effect is poo poo from an rear end, and it hurts my visual cortex and forces me to constantly blink when it happens.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you're really concerned about missing it (and it's good so understandable) I think the only actual requirement is counselor rank 9 before 11/18, though I definitely recommend playing the Justice and Faith links too

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chromatic aberration looks good if the atmosphere/art style compliments it. I always always turn motion blur off though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Eyes Only posted:

you've only played two games with good music? ever?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eyes Only posted:

I agree completely.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Eyes Only posted:

as someone who occasionally streams games and also plays them over the top of discord audio I understand your complaint but i have to admit i take some kind of nerd tweaker joy out of balancing the audio levels for things

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

it is true that when i am playing on discord with buddies I have to turn every game down to 5%

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Loud audio is a problem on consoles too, I gotta crank the master volume down if I'm playing a multiplayer game with pals since the default just drowns out voice chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i want to turn the music higher on splatoon 3 because it kicks rear end