Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

you can't, like, OWN a COLOR man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gently caress YOU HIPPY

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The pinkest pink owns, sorry.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/FortuneMagazine/status/1585657069520261121

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
With regards to the Pantone nonsense, Culture Hustle already came out with a free plugin that is basically those colors:

https://www.culturehustleusa.com/products/freetone

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
If y'all think Pantone is a racket, wait until you find out about NFPA or ANSI. It's one thing to say "hey we created a system for color matching and should be compensated for its use" another bigger leap for "these are the guidelines for doing things safely and legally. Your government has adopted these rules. If you want to read these rules to properly follow them, you need to pay us."

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Coolness Averted posted:

If y'all think Pantone is a racket, wait until you find out about NFPA or ANSI. It's one thing to say "hey we created a system for color matching and should be compensated for its use" another bigger leap for "these are the guidelines for doing things safely and legally. Your government has adopted these rules. If you want to read these rules to properly follow them, you need to pay us."

Eh, there's a bit more effort in rules than #EF60B3 but yes it's also dumb, just not as dumb or even close.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1586390746243923972

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

This is the most bizarre corporate collaboration I've seen in awhile.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shneak posted:

good lord that's real

i actually went and googled it in disbelief

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shneak posted:

It's literally "here's a piece of plastic we're making you throw away for us." Jesus loving Christ.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Ham Equity posted:

It's literally "here's a piece of plastic we're making you throw away for us." Jesus loving Christ.

Take a break from your computer! Here's a video of puppies for you to watch on your computer during your break

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Does clippy even still exist?

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

succesfully translated clippy into the real world

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonHair posted:

Does clippy even still exist?

He's been rebooted

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Hydrox should adopt Clippit as a mascot.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

He's been rebooted

Is he grimdark now?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BonHair posted:

Is he grimdark now?

clippy fucks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arivia posted:

some of them don’t fall into the RGB/CMYK space (an easy example is a printed pop of bright pink or gold). basically Pantone is color codes that will look the same in all kinds of products/digital/print if things are correctly correlated, it’s important for high-end design work but not to your average consumer or hobbyist at all.

now you can plug in RGB codes for many colors and be at least okay, but it’s not guaranteed to be correct when you send it off for printing/manufacturing/on another device. there are ways around using the Pantone stuff but Adobe doesn’t want to piss off Pantone because a lot of Adobe products depend on Pantone so Adobe is letting Pantone get away with this poo poo.

Pantone's product of "this color will universally look the same as in your software regardless of printing equipment" is at least, like, something beyond just "they're rent seeking colors!!!" yeah

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shneak posted:

Looks like someone at microsoft read that It's Lit marketing doc talking at length about how GENERATION Z LOVES OREOS THEY ARE THE MOST RELATABLE BRAND

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

That's correct that RGB and CMYK don't describe all colors, but there's several color spaces that describe the totality of human vision, cinema uses XYZ and L*A*B* is the updated version of that which is extremely cool if you read about it. L*A*B* is the standard that apple uses I think. It can make sure colors look the same in different brightnesses and lighting contexts and stuff like that it's just a dream.

Anyway it's not hard to pinpoint a color in XYZ, human vision is 3 dimensional you just list the three coordinates. But to display an XYZ 'correctly' on screen the way it would look on paper is a very tough task. Also screens can only do RGB, usually sRGB which is much less colors than human vision, and print can do CMYK which is fewer colors still. So your XYZ coordinate has to be within what the screen/paper can display in the first place.

Basically there's no way in hell adobe can manage that within software, you will have to calibrate your computer and monitor and printer to a standard. And once you're at that standard you can type in the XYZ coordinate.

So I really don't get pantone. what is it.

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 09:12 on Oct 30, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Antonymous posted:

Basically there's no way in hell adobe can manage that within software, you will have to calibrate your computer and monitor and printer to a standard. And once you're at that standard you can type in the XYZ coordinate.

So I really don't get pantone. what is it.

Pantone is that, you just said it, it's that standard.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like there are definitely calibrated monitors that can display it accurately but even if you don't have one, everyone agrees on what like "Pantone 100" means so you could just pull out a color swatch and look at it if you want to know for sure. Plus it also includes a bunch of "colors" that you can't really describe in any color space (or more like, colors with other attributes attached like "metallic" or "fluorescent") but are still very relevant when you're trying to print something or make packaging.

e: Put it another way, Pantone's product is a combination of a standard for a defined color and also all the extra metadata needed to produce that color in printing systems. Like yeah I get you can exactly define a perceptual color using other methods but it's specifically dealing with cross-compatibility between printing/manufacturing systems

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 09:32 on Oct 30, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Is Pantone critical infrastructure?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shame Boy posted:

Like there are definitely calibrated monitors that can display it accurately but even if you don't have one, everyone agrees on what like "Pantone 100" means so you could just pull out a color swatch and look at it if you want to know for sure. Plus it also includes a bunch of "colors" that you can't really describe in any color space (or more like, colors with other attributes attached like "metallic" or "fluorescent") but are still very relevant when you're trying to print something or make packaging.

e: Put it another way, Pantone's product is a combination of a standard for a defined color and also all the extra metadata needed to produce that color in printing systems. Like yeah I get you can exactly define a perceptual color using other methods but it's specifically dealing with cross-compatibility between printing/manufacturing systems

Right, the big advantage-and what pantone's model has generally been is they have a big database mapping colors to names and sorted. It's specifically for coloring real world goods not digital art. They then sell books and keys of swatches with those names, colors, and cmyk, rgb codes, and other data on how to replicate them. So I can flip through the book and find I want "school bus yellow," and the graphic designer can plug that pantone value into their system, and then send the art to the printer. The printer can hold the swatch up to the box, label, or whatever end product is and it will match what I wanted.

The value isn't they invented colors, it's they created and maintain tools to ensure everyone speaks the same language about colors.

The situation here is they either licensed their system and DB to adobe and then renegotiated it, or adobe just made a system that bypassed them years ago and now pantone has made them nix it.
It's a very capitalism thing, since in another system this service might be maintained in another way, and it was-the books and color keys- but tech was starting to cut them out of the picture, so they used IP to reinsert themselves.

BonHair posted:

Is Pantone critical infrastructure?

You joke, but there are a lot of things like pantone for color, GS1 for barcodes, or NFPA and HMIS for safety information that do provide an actual use, but because we're in capitalism fund it through for profit companies that fund the use and update of their systems through IP.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 10:04 on Oct 30, 2022

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pantone color scientists creating the most epic silver, pinku, metallic beetleborg, etc

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hacking into the pantone mainframe to steal the fourth primary color they've kept secret for generations

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

eyy, pantone

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Antonymous posted:

Anyway it's not hard to pinpoint a color in XYZ, human vision is 3 dimensional you just list the three coordinates.

I thought some people could see four dimensions of color (tetrachromacy).

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
panboned

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shneak posted:

I do like a good *checks package* oreo thon

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

For months I thought this was that inbred Kennedy that ate poo poo in that senate election and was wondering why he got cool

Turns out it's Kennerly, folks

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ham Equity posted:

There aren't any other non-club, non-bougie grocery stores in Seattle. The other options are Whole Foods, PCC (a local co-op chain, very similar to Whole Foods), Trader Joe's, and Costco.

lol no. i love that you live here and don't know poo poo about anything. it's impressive as hell.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol no. i love that you live here and don't know poo poo about anything. it's impressive as hell.

That's what being an American is all about

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We were all a lot happier when the extent of our artistic ability was drawing really scary things on a cave wall to scare our pals, makes you think. I bet thatd be a fun evening out actually and is basically the entire premise of like half the horror spaces online now that I think about it

Many sides many sides

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Smythe posted:

pantone color scientists creating the most epic silver, pinku, metallic beetleborg, etc

Combining the most annoying colors in the world to make the worst red text ever created

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

I've looked up "quiet quitting" several times and each time I'm told it means "doing your job."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

I've looked up "quiet quitting" several times and each time I'm told it means "doing your job."

There are basically two versions at this point:
-doing your job and nothing else, like no overwork, no tasks outside your job description, no email at home. (Good)
-literally not doing anything at work, either shitposting at your station or just not showing up. Double points if you work from home. (Also good)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it took me far to long to realize that work isn't a meritocracy and if not being a tryhard for zero reward means I'm quiet quitting then I guess that label fits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
nothing about work is meritocratic

people just hire people they like to be around

based solely on my productivity I should be destitute and jobless