Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pattonesque posted:

they really fumbled the bag. They managed to create a bunch of legit iconic characters people love and other than the occasional cinematic and *comic* didn't do bupkis with them

I don't think it's too late, especially now, but yeah they deffo missed a very opportune window circa 2017-2018ish to meaningfully expand the lore through whatever avenue. Though, there was a decently sized gap between whenever LoL became huge and when Arcane came out, yeah? They could still release an OW animated series that, if created with the same passion as Arcane, could be pretty popular I think. But lmao, that's not gonna happen so :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

riot had the excuse of being a startup that exploded, with all the attendant issues of internal organization that implies, but blizzard had been doing the lore and cinematics thing for nearly a decade by the time OW1 came out

it's still such a bizarre situation, because normally companies that get that lucky try to milk the loving thing as hard and fast as possible, but blizzard legit acted as if there wasn't a span of about a year where everyone with internet access knew who tracer was

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJxZcYcuA5I

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Pattonesque posted:

a fun thing about OW lore

is all the loving

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

verbal enema posted:

is all the loving

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Remember when horse armor was considered to just evil and not a lesser evil you had to beg your corporate masters for?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

wanna hang that belt somehwere else?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've decided to play comp for a change in the absense of battlepass rewards and it's actually quite fun? So far the only toxic person I've run into is a solider who spent all game complaining about no heals while being unreachable or out of sightlines.

As a reward I nanoed him on overtime and we won the match with nano-visor you are WELCOME you little poo poo.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

battlepass is fine imo except locking characters behind it for free folks is sorta dumb, but im ok paying for the bp every few months

push maps i like theyre fun esp as a kiriko enjoyer, ez to get flank angles on widows etc and zip back to team

i really wish skins in shop were $5-$10 but even as an employed adult $20 is hard to swallow and honestly, i want the trash ffv mage skin...

its exceedingly wack that new players will never know the wealth of skins we enjoyed in ow1, if only wed known then how lucky we were

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

teagone posted:

I don't think it's too late, especially now, but yeah they deffo missed a very opportune window circa 2017-2018ish to meaningfully expand the lore through whatever avenue. Though, there was a decently sized gap between whenever LoL became huge and when Arcane came out, yeah? They could still release an OW animated series that, if created with the same passion as Arcane, could be pretty popular I think. But lmao, that's not gonna happen so :rip:

it wouldn't be too late if they had put any effort into voice lines at all. as it stands the new voice line interactions i've heard so far seem so divorced from the lore and it makes it feel like they threw what little they had already into the trash

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Dynamite Dog posted:

it wouldn't be too late if they had put any effort into voice lines at all. as it stands the new voice line interactions i've heard so far seem so divorced from the lore and it makes it feel like they threw what little they had already into the trash

There is literally so much they can do with Overwatch lore. Instead we get little throwaways like Widowmaker sounding sarcastic about killing Gerard (though her lines with Moira are good) and random poo poo with Reaper thinking his wife would kill him if she saw him now.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Why even have All Roles q in comp Roles Queue. It's just a second Support queue.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Why even have All Roles q in comp Roles Queue. It's just a second Support queue.

Playing with a group.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have gotten DPS once since OW2 was released lol

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

you get cheev points for going All Roles

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

So double XP weekend is only for match xp not challenges or anything like that? That's a pittance...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

black.lion posted:

battlepass is fine imo except locking characters behind it for free folks is sorta dumb, but im ok paying for the bp every few months

push maps i like theyre fun esp as a kiriko enjoyer, ez to get flank angles on widows etc and zip back to team

i really wish skins in shop were $5-$10 but even as an employed adult $20 is hard to swallow and honestly, i want the trash ffv mage skin...

its exceedingly wack that new players will never know the wealth of skins we enjoyed in ow1, if only wed known then how lucky we were

If $20 skins had mythic-type customization, I'd consider the purchase, but $20 for the equivalent of legendary skins lol, nah I'm good. I'll pony up for the battle pass once my coins run dry though. And if they do similar season starter packs for a fiver that comes with a decent legendary skin + 500 coins, I'll probably always get those.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alternatively you could not support lovely business practices.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Jack Trades posted:

Alternatively you can spend money on whatever you want since you know… it’s your money.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alfalfa posted:

Alternatively you can spend money on whatever you want since you know… it’s your money.

I know, I'm already donating to the American Society for Lobotomization of Sexually Deviant, but that's beside the point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

You could also not post in this thread, but you do so anyways so :shrug:

[edit] You have the most posts ITT in fact, lmao. I thought I did, but you've got me beat.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jack Trades posted:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

People are adults who can make their own judgment calls on whether or not they are comfortable putting money into something. If it brings you joy in the hellscape of an earth then go for it. If you don't feel comfortable putting money to a company then don't.

This is a weird place to have the whole "no ethical consumption under capitalism" discussion but here we are.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Where else can you hold moral superiority over strangers based on the purchases they make?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

i think the point theyre making is that they dont feel $5 skins are lovely business practice, however $20 skins are, so theyre not going to support the business practices they feel are lovely (and im inclined to agree)

basically what alfalfa said

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

People are adults

Let's not be too hasty here

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
On one hand, people should be able to spend their money on whatever bullshit they want to.

On the other hand, it's impossible for the masses to make a statement to Blizzard about how their garbage game needs better monetization because even if 999 people don't buy poo poo, 1 person with effectively infinite money will go and buy literally every item in the shop and ruin it for everyone (which is why the items are priced the way they are). It's somewhat frustrating to people that want to see the game improve, though it's moronic for those people to assume it's possible for that to happen as a result of this methodology.

So what are you gonna do? It bears not-so-subtle societal parallels to the fockin' covid pandemic in the sense that it requires a coordinated effort to reach a means, but on a way more micro level as it is irrelevant bullshit that doesn't really effect anything.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
"Selling items to people who pay for them" is not a lovely business practice lmao

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

abigserve posted:

"Selling items to people who pay for them" is not a lovely business practice lmao

:yeah:
I mean the prices mostly suck, but whatever.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Why aren't there any really good skins though? I'd pay even $20 for something that looked loving amazing instead of recolors of crap.

I will die on this hill: tuxes for everyone!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Will there be skins like the mythic Genji one for all other characters as well? That one does look really good.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Is there a spreadsheet for playing together, or are we just using the general one for our respective gaming setups? Beware, I've never played any version of overwatch before, so I'm pretty bad, but the game is way fun! :buddy:

Blizzard: Hamshakes#1830, Xbox gt: Defektedtoy

I added a bunch of people from the early Apex days, but none of them seem to play ow2.

Side note: why are the Junkenstein's challenge modes so difficult? It took me 2-3 days to complete one of them. Also, the other Bride's Revenge difficulties seem impossible to do with randos. Hard is loving brutal. Granted, I'm not great at the mechanics, but I'm not new to fps games. :shrug:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

abigserve posted:

I mean, considering the way they bundle items is ILLEGAL in many places, it's fair to assume it IS a lovely business practice.

The lovely part that people gripe about is that they monetize the game in a way that will probably turn out some amount of additional profits (who can say if it's 5% more, or 20% more) at the cost of the end user experience for most of the player base. Especially since they almost completely obliterates it rather than just diminish. One could argue that this hurts the long-term stability of the game for a burst of revenue now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Will there be skins like the mythic Genji one for all other characters as well? That one does look really good.

I'd assume so. They'll also likely always be tied to the battle pass as the final tier reward.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

I assume they eventually start to sell them in premium prices.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Cyber Genji skin is legit pretty dang rad. I like the third color set of greens myself.

Now if only I was actually any good at Genji. :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Genji skin sucks because it's a Genji skin. Update me when they do a mythic Junkrat skin

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Green/Pink flower Genji is the best:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Issaries posted:

Green/Pink flower Genji is the best:

When you notice he has flower nips you can't unsee it and that's all you'll see now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

teagone posted:

When you notice he has flower nips you can't unsee it and that's all you'll see now.

drat you :argh: