Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I'm still annoyed at the option for this. It was like "shove Dijkstra out of the way" or something but then Geralt not only knocked him to the floor he then BREAKS HIS LEG?! Game, that is NOT what I chose

So many things I don't remember from the first game. I'm pretty sure I played it twice, but that was so long ago and I can't imagine going back after all the improvements they've made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Problem has been solved by uninstalling the old NVIDIA driver and installing the new one (as in from 11 days ago). Wonder what happened to break it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Macaluso posted:

I'm still annoyed at the option for this. It was like "shove Dijkstra out of the way" or something but then Geralt not only knocked him to the floor he then BREAKS HIS LEG?! Game, that is NOT what I chose

If I'm remembering right the 'forcefully' at the end of [Shove Dijkstra forcefully] now was even added by a patch, and people still accidentally break his leg. It's never happened to me because I'm built different and like the fat bastard.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Macaluso posted:

It is lore-appropriate at least

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I maintain that "Shove Djikstra Forcefully" should have come at the end of Reasons of State as an alternative method of resolving the choice at the end of that story sequence.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

I maintain that "Shove Djikstra Forcefully" should have come at the end of Reasons of State as an alternative method of resolving the choice at the end of that story sequence.

Witcher 3, but it's a vaudeville act where straight-man Geralt snaps Djikstra leg every time he gets a little too keyed up.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In It For The Tank posted:

I like it where it is. I like, ever since Witcher 1, that there’s always unforeseen consequences to your actions that change or outright close off quest paths later in the game. It makes replaying much more interesting.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

I like it where it is. I like, ever since Witcher 1, that there’s always unforeseen consequences to your actions that change or outright close off quest paths later in the game. It makes replaying much more interesting.

But this isn't an unforeseen consequence to your action. The consequences are immediately obvious after you do it. It's the action itself that is unforeseen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Staltran posted:

But this isn't an unforeseen consequence to your action. The consequences are immediately obvious after you do it. It's the action itself that is unforeseen.

Sorry, I wasn’t talking about the leg break itself, I was talking about how breaking his leg locks you out of the rest of Reasons of State.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I guess they’re remaking witcher 1 in the unreal 5 engine. I’ll try it https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/1585270206305386497?s=46&t=m51QYi1TpmehGqTxdBbbow

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I wonder if they'll keep the rock-paper-scissors rhythm combat.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I actually enjoyed the combat in Witcher 1, maybe even more than in the other games. I suspect it'll just be regular combat in the remake though. Hopefully they manage to make it feel more weighty than Witcher 3.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
That's awesome. I played it at launch and loved it, but the jank made it impossible to go back to it after playing the second and third games.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I played it at launch and remember the 5 minutes it would take to enter or exit any building. Thank gently caress for the Enhanced Edition.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wonder if they'll keep the OG voices or go with the Witcher 3 voice cast.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Wonder if they'll keep the OG voices or go with the Witcher 3 voice cast.

W3 cast, I hope. Cause honestly, I think Witcher 1 needs a rewrite more than a visual update. It has a few bright spots, but the translation is pretty rough, and all of the story's worst qualities—like Geralt being a horny cyborg—are on full display.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'm going to miss everyone's thousand yard stare from that game.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hyped to play it after bouncing hard off W1 forever ago, I assume they'll take out the sex cards lol

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Hyped to play it after bouncing hard off W1 forever ago, I assume they'll take out the sex cards lol

The real power move would be to keep the sex cards but add a bunch more and turn them into a fully functional Gwent deck.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I keep hearing Witcher mentioned as an example of Eurojank. What was janky about the first and second games? (The jankiest thing about Witcher 3 is the crafting, I suppose.)

Skippy McPants posted:

The real power move would be to keep the sex cards but add a bunch more and turn them into a fully functional Gwent deck.
I'm not loving that elf I don't care how good his spy card is

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Skippy McPants posted:

W3 cast, I hope. Cause honestly, I think Witcher 1 needs a rewrite more than a visual update. It has a few bright spots, but the translation is pretty rough, and all of the story's worst qualities—like Geralt being a horny cyborg—are on full display.

"The fate of the world hangs in the balance and you're thinking about SEEEEEEEX?! *voice immediately changes* oh alright, come on then."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I keep hearing Witcher mentioned as an example of Eurojank. What was janky about the first and second games? (The jankiest thing about Witcher 3 is the crafting, I suppose.)

I only played twenty minutes of it and literally everything

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s not that bad lol

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Witcher 1 wasn't really any jankier than NWN1, the game whose engine it used. It was just par for the course for PC games then. I did a full playthrough this year and the only thing that really struck me as "janky" as opposed to just "obviously from 2007" is the crafting system, where literally the only potions I used for the entire game were Swallow and Tawny Owl.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not loving that elf I don't care how good his spy card is

Witcher 1? Off the top of my head: long load times (before EE), kludgy "interactive" combat, poor character animations, uneven English translation, and bad voice acting. It played like a Neverwinter Nights model with a bit of production value behind it... which makes sense, since that's more or less what it was.

Witcher 2? Still pretty shakey on both the translation and VO, some gameplay systems were still very clunky, and the third act is held together with spit and glue. I maintain that without the awesome conversation with Letho to elevate the finale, people would not remember Witcher 2 nearly so fondly.

All that said, I'd only call Witcher 1 full-on Eurojank. Witcher 2 is much more evolved, and a solid double-A title for the time.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I liked W1 much more than W2 but I didn't have to play this game in English so that probably improved my experience a lot lmao

I remember being positively surprised when I took a closer look at Geralt in W3 and noticed that his face is very similar to the one from W1 (or maybe just an opening cinematic from W1), at least from the profile. The graphics improved but it's still the same old Gerry as from that old janky game

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Needs a quest where Geralt fucks somebody until they hand over their sex card, puts it in his deck and beats them at Gwent with it, all while maintaining eye contact.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The inability to jump in W2 made me just irrationally furious coming from W3, and so I never played more than half an hour of the former.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I encountered the bugged "Hidden in the Deep" quest on Faroe. Found a corpse with a letter and key and the quest completed before I could even catch what it was. So I go into this cave and slay the monsters and find the loot, but there's also an area with a fancy looking door my witcher senses highlight but I can't do anything with it. Does that actually go anywhere? The map was bugging out, switching between cave and surface, and Geralt even started swimming through the air for a while.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I didn't notice anything particularly wrong with the acting or translation in Witcher 1.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Volte posted:

I didn't notice anything particularly wrong with the acting or translation in Witcher 1.

It got a rehaul after launch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PittTheElder posted:

The inability to jump in W2 made me just irrationally furious coming from W3, and so I never played more than half an hour of the former.
On the other hand, I hate it when games have a jump mechanic that doesn't really do anything, like you can't even jump over a knee-high obstacle. I guess they throw it in to prevent you from getting stuck in a graphic or whatever.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Lucinice posted:

I'm going to miss everyone's thousand yard stare from that game.

Your mother sucks dwarf cock. :stare:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still play The Witcher 1 fairy regularly. It’s a game I always have installed, like Morrowind or Civilization. I’m very curious to see how this remake turns out. Especially since it’s their second attempt. “Rise of the White Wolf” was a remake in development using their first iteration of the Red Engine, and they ended up abandoning that to focus on The Witcher 2. Granted, pretty sure RotWW was farmed out to another studio and they weren’t making great progress. I think.

Still, I love The Witcher 1 and still think it holds up to this day.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

r.i.p. this show that already died to me in the second season https://twitter.com/THR/status/1586449421037756417

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I would like to congratulate Netflix for another squandered opportunity. Adding it to the list along with Altered Carbon and probably more stuff I memory-holed.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I didn't even see S2, I heard it was an improvement over S1? Or maybe I just wanted it to be when I finally get around to watching it?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I didn't even see S2, I heard it was an improvement over S1? Or maybe I just wanted it to be when I finally get around to watching it?

its actually worse

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The story is shown in a better way, Nilfgaard is less of a death cult loons. But I can't think of any change from the books that was better in the TV series. The ending in Kaer Morhen sucked pretty bad. As a fantasy series it's still ok, just falls short of source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A Grain of Truth (S2E1) is worth a watch, at least.