Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Video games are too loud?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
According to my family yeah. Games are loud

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
game loud game proud

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
When is Gamer Pride Month...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Next month

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rarity posted:

When is Gamer Pride Month...

Spoilers

every month

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
When I watch shows on my TV (either Plex or Netflix), I set the volume of the TV to 65-70 out of 100. When I play PS5 I set the volume to 7. 8 is loud and 10 is ear-piercing. I don't exactly understand why.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i usually just set TV volume to really loud and control it from my separate speaker volume. idk if that's how you're "supposed" to do it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah all those games are being made with consoles in mind, where you have at least one separate physical volume control

rox
Sep 7, 2016

power to the players

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the rando open-box powered speakers i got from my TrumpBucks were my best Gaming Purchase ever op.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm not sure I believe your claim of only ever playing two games with good music. Please apologize

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I mean, if using one of the game mechanics already breaks the game's difficulty I'd say it's not very balanced lol.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The volume breaks the game difficulty?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Macaluso posted:

I'm not sure I believe your claim of only ever playing two games with good music. Please apologize

Perhaps they've only played 2 games

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Some of the best music in recent years has been video game music

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

op I'm sorry that the only two games you've ever played are YIIK and Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I vaguely recall there was a weird period ca. the 360 era, where games were increasingly mixed for surround systems so you would get like a blaringly loud helicopter sound or whatever and whisper quiet dialogue on 99% of all setups. Maybe it was just one of the Rainbow Six games, but I feel like it was somewhat common.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I vaguely recall there was a weird period ca. the 360 era, where games were increasingly mixed for surround systems so you would get like a blaringly loud helicopter sound or whatever and whisper quiet dialogue on 99% of all setups. Maybe it was just one of the Rainbow Six games, but I feel like it was somewhat common.

Mass Effect was like that for me, checks out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i had a dream that the switch thread was locked and the feedback thread had 300 new posts. i think i need to post less

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

op I'm sorry that the only two games you've ever played are YIIK and Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood

Following on this, what video games have some terrible soundtracks? I can think of plenty of bad songs but I'm drawing a blank on terrible soundtracks outright, short of situations like the Genesis version of Shadow of the Beast where the NTSC/PAL region differences resulted in the Genesis release playing the music too fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQjU9g6C_ZQ

Compare to the Amiga version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BltSvKMlQ&t=400s

Or even just the Mega Drive version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlWEIuiPZa4&t=118s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FF14s is pretty whatever

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

rip

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i had a dream that the switch thread was locked and the feedback thread had 300 new posts. i think i need to post less

nice premonition

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPEFs3x_y50

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what's a good game that can be played in a window (not fullscreen), in 10 minute increments, and can be paused?

PC only

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

pmchem posted:

what's a good game that can be played in a window (not fullscreen), in 10 minute increments, and can be paused?

PC only

slay the spire

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

pmchem posted:

PC only

Avadon

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

pmchem posted:

PC only

Doom

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They go to school on Saturdays in P5?

Also did Kamoshida forget he was gonna expel us?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rinkles posted:

Iirc he says it'll be done at the next school faculty meeting, which is convenient

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rinkles posted:

That’s how the Japanese school system works to my knowledge yes, kids typically only get the day off on Sunday

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
its pretty rare for me to need to fiddle with the volume of a game directly, because I'm so used to every program and video having completely different volume that I just adjust the volume on my headset

I pretty much only go into the volume settings if the mixing is bad, which is pretty rare

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mute all sounds and exercise your creativity

Nintendo made quite a bold decision casting Terence Stamp as Kirby in Forgotten Land

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

fridge corn posted:

Almost finished with Endwalker and I think it's my least favourite expansion. It's been really disappointing. I think I like ARR more than it :(

I am trying to imagine what it's like to hold this position and my brain automatically rejects it, it's like trying to perceive a 5-dimensional object

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THPYuTORhzs

Edit 2: remembering the small mechanical moment in the level 89 dungeon when Ysayle returns to protect you from Curtain Call, I was wondering the whole time where she was in this whole dungeon about Remembering the Fallen and of course they wouldn't forget her, and they would save her for the perfect time and i'm tearing up all over again

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 30, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am trying to imagine what it's like to hold this position and my brain automatically rejects it, it's like trying to perceive a 5-dimensional object

it's very loud about its message and if it happens to be one you don't agree with you can't just ignore it because it's the opposite of subtle. I have no idea about fridge corn in particular but I've definitely seen people reject it from a theological standpoint, being upset at the buddhist-inspired "suffering is inherent to life" framing because they're too attached to christianity-style "suffering is caused by sin" to set it aside even while reading fiction

there's also the people who finished it then immediately spent a month in the spoiler thread nitpicking every little detail until they've convinced themselves its awful

May 8, 2006

i think it's more obviously flawed story-wise than the previous expansion but succeeds in its primary goal of ending the current years long arc and laying track for the new one about as well as you could hope for with this sort of thing

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah. Someone saying EW is worse than ShB/HW or maybe even SB is normal.

That said not saying fridge corn is insane, I'm actually interested to see their opinion (hopefully not an insane one)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah Time to cook up my spiciest Ffxiv take yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

cheetah7071 posted:

it's very loud about its message and if it happens to be one you don't agree with you can't just ignore it because it's the opposite of subtle. I have no idea about fridge corn in particular but I've definitely seen people reject it from a theological standpoint, being upset at the buddhist-inspired "suffering is inherent to life" framing because they're too attached to christianity-style "suffering is caused by sin" to set it aside even while reading fiction

there's also the people who finished it then immediately spent a month in the spoiler thread nitpicking every little detail until they've convinced themselves its awful

As someone who has studied and practiced Buddhism at points in my life I immediately recognised and appreciated the messaging of Endwalker, but I was also so already familiar with it that it didnt carry any significant weight for me. That said I felt the expansion ended very well, had some great character moments and I even got a bit teary eyed toward the end.

My comments are lacking in much needed context. Final Fantasy 14 is exceedingly good and Endwalker is no exception but I feel it is lacking in several areas and it failed to reach the highs set by previous expansions. Part of this may be down to hype and my of expectations of it from reading ppls reaction to it in last years goty thread and elsewhere. I understand why ppl enjoyed it so much but for me it didnt hit as hard. This may be due to simple personal preference to what I find interesting or enjoyable in a story and I appreciate Endwalker wasnt trying to tell that story. I dont think Endwalker is bad, I was just expecting to enjoy it more than I did.