Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

chaosapiant posted:

I’d say regardless how much you like something, “actively disliking” something that is the basis for your work is never a good or positive thing. You don’t need to be a fanboy or whatever but at least respect or have reverence for the work your work
Is based on when doing an adaptation.

I wonder if that was the motivation behind the first couple episodes of last season.

Writer #1: How are we going to start the next season?

Writer #2: I've got a fun new story about a lovely, loser Witcher who brings a Leshy into Kaer Morhen and ends up getting stabbed to death by Geralt.

Writer #1: Oh, that's great, we definitely want to show how greasy and terrible these witchers are.

Writer #2: And here's the awesome twist: there's this side character named Eskel that a lot of the fans like, right? We're just gonna name the schmuck witcher Eskel, so it's a huge troll to anyone hoping to see their favorite character do anything besides be stupid and die horribly.

Writer #1: Fuckin' love it, bro. gently caress those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Honestly I doubt it went like that. Whenever big changes like that happen in adaptations it's very rare for it to be done intentionally to piss off fans. It's usually done for the much more common reason of people being really really dumb and not being able to read a room. Cruelty often requires intent and it's more likely the creative decision to kill off Eskel came out of a misguided need to create a dramatic hook for an episode than out of any malicious intent.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I blame the GoT ~NoOneIsSafe™~ aftereffect.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I've forgotten the plot in between every season of this show, the only thing that made it watchable was Cavill so..RIP The Witcher show.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I like the other two leads in this show but man, it is asking a lot for them to carry it across from a Hemsworth

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Arc Hammer posted:

Honestly I doubt it went like that. Whenever big changes like that happen in adaptations it's very rare for it to be done intentionally to piss off fans. It's usually done for the much more common reason of people being really really dumb and not being able to read a room. Cruelty often requires intent and it's more likely the creative decision to kill off Eskel came out of a misguided need to create a dramatic hook for an episode than out of any malicious intent.

but I mean, they could have just named the dude David the Embarrassing Witcher, y'know? He hung around for all of two episodes, acted like a dickhead, and then got killed. There was no reason to call him Eskel except as a troll (or, okay, maybe as a ridiculous misguided attempt at a twist for people who've read the books or played the games.)

I am not a big Eskel fan or anything, I just thought it was a really silly thing to do with basically an entirely unrelated new character.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sounds like a lot of issues piled up that lead to his decision to leave. Between just wanting to adapt the books, to a maybe not great production and it seems like every season he suffers a pretty nasty injury it's probably a no-brainer to quit and go be Superman again. WB is desperate for a Superman film and he probably got a really sweet contract.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the idea seems to be that DC is going to be making multiple major movies with all the big characters at once going forward and if that's true I am sure Henry is getting mega-paid to lock up his time to be Superman 3 or 4 times a year

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Arc Hammer posted:

Yeah I don't think they are motivated by hostility towards the fans, or even that a lack of reverence towards their source material is really in itself a problem. The issue is more that they did a bad job. They had easy paths to a straight adaptation, or a goofy, funny likeable adult Hercules reboot and they kind of just hosed around and made something that doesn't really succeed at much of anything and is at best acceptable content for the content machine.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Nichael posted:

It'd be straight up better to cancel or give this a very perfunctory ending, than to continue without Cavill. I don't want to watch it without him.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

jasoneatspizza posted:

Show should have just been episodic monster of the week style. The episodes that did go in that direction were typically the best. Not every fantasy needs to be epic in scale.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
for the record, the books are extremely good and the plot is almost entirely about geralt and his squad searching for ciri, and ciri running from the factions that want her power. removing all the political intrigue dramatically changes the tone and scope of the story. if you havent read the books then you wont have noticed, but what the show writers did was completely change all of the factions of the political intrigue, making it boring and pointless. the books are pretty much entirely about imperialism, feminism, toxic masculinity, and the found family. they are definitely worth reading

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
they removed the letter and replaced the main plot with nonsense

cavill is right to leave

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'll be honest, Geralt as played by Cavill is like, at least 70% of the reason I bother tuning in to this show. He's not the greatest actor but he's got charisma and is fun on screen imo.

The plot and ancillary characters are mostly bad and sometimes extremely bad

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Yes, he carried this show on his huge beautiful shoulders so I’m probably out. And the stuff they’d adapt for S4 was my favorite book too.

There are plenty of adaptations that are better than their source material, and plenty of close adaptations that come out soulless and poorly paced. But in this show I can think of very little changed that was an improvement. I guess Ciri with Gerald in Nivellen’s house worked pretty well, but that was also S2’s best episode by far.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

At this point, embrace chaos. Cast Matt Berry as Geralt.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Madurai posted:

At this point, embrace chaos. Cast Matt Berry as Geralt.

I would watch that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’d love to watch a mocumemtary style “What We Do In Kaer Morhen,” with the the day to day tedium of Witchers living their winters in Kaer Morhen.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus it. Have whoever play Geralt every ep. Go full Magorum Emporium

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Actually…they could lean into the Condwiramurs (sp?) narrative framing of the fifth saga book and just say she slightly changed Geralt’s features in the retelling to better reflect what she finds attractive.

I have no idea if what I just said makes any drat sense.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Matt Berry would make a great milfguard emperor. "Where is my daww-terr! Fetch me her post-haste!" in his weird stilted cadence. Then just get the cast of Schitt's Creek to play all the random sorcerers.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

eXXon posted:

Matt Berry would make a great milfguard emperor. "Where is my daww-terr! Fetch me her post-haste!" in his weird stilted cadence. Then just get the cast of Schitt's Creek to play all the random sorcerers.

what about cutting to the chase and recasting everyone with matt berry

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
it would make all the topless yennefer scenes weird, but i'll take it

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

geralt (henry cavill)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIf5sYzP4DY

geralt (liam hemsworth)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQnkNunZgC8

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Actually…they could lean into the Condwiramurs (sp?) narrative framing of the fifth saga book and just say she slightly changed Geralt’s features in the retelling to better reflect what she finds attractive.

I have no idea if what I just said makes any drat sense.

there is no world where the netflix writers even reference condwiramurs and nimue in passing

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Kill All Cops posted:

it would make all the topless yennefer scenes weird, but i'll take it

My, I do have absolutely delightful boooosommmmmms, don't I, Ger-ALT!?

Nichael fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 30, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Nichael posted:

what about cutting to the chase and recasting everyone with matt berry

I like Roach's current actor but I think Berry had the range to pull off that kind of role too.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
this idea of making witcher season 4 a complete farce is perfect. get gareth marenghi to write the whole thing. season arc is geralt fighting giant crabs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

roomtone posted:

this idea of making witcher season 4 a complete farce is perfect. get gareth marenghi to write the whole thing.

I've known showrunners who recast the main character after 3 seasons and those people are cowards.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

had to look it up to remember i wasnt crazy, they're writing seasons 4 and 5 at once

https://redanianintelligence.com/2022/10/21/writing-begins-witcher-season-4-and-5/

so Liam Hemsworth is going to be expected to ride as Geralt for at least two full seasons to close it out

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol it's gonna be cancelled on a cliffhanger that nobody sees

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

lol it's gonna be cancelled on a cliffhanger that nobody sees
It's this. Netflix isn't above stringing along a production and then scrapping midway.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Season 3 will end where Time of Contempt ends and then Season 4 will pick up with Geralt in Brokilon Foresr and everyone will be like "who the gently caress is this guy" when it's Other Hemsworth instead of Superman

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I hope when that thing happens to Geralt that hurts him real bad also disfigures him and makes him look and talk like a Hemsworth.

Y’all know that thing I’m talking about.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

that's book poo poo, dork. theyre going to have a scene in s4e1 where Yen casts a spell that makes Geralt look "like a man who actually wants to be here"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Aye Doc posted:

that's book poo poo, dork. theyre going to have a scene in s4e1 where Yen casts a spell that makes Geralt look "like a man who actually wants to be here"

It’ll be a glamour to make Geralt comfortable in doublets and Jaskier will say “wtf Yen?? That’s too far!!”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

I hope when that thing happens to Geralt that hurts him real bad also disfigures him and makes him look and talk like a Hemsworth.

Y’all know that thing I’m talking about.

They'll do what the Obi Wan Kenobi show was too scared to do.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

There won't be a fourth season.

Edit: Good job they're working on that spinoff prequel, eh?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Time to base the remaining seasons in the first Witcher game and have Geralt traveling around having sex with lusty wenches and collecting sex cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 3 better goddamn use what Cavill time we have left to get him to do the best bit of poetry in the series, and arguably all of human history.

"Lambert Lambert, what a prick."