Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Gas the FF thread for the terrible OP which rates an MMO as the best FF game

FFXVI gonna save us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stux is correct about FF14

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

cheetah7071 posted:

If you rank them by the experience of playing the game when that expansion is current then heavensward would be rock bottom

By that measurement I'd list them:

1. Endwalker.
2. Shadowbringers.
3. A Realm Reborn.
4. Heavensward.

I didn't play Stormblood when it was current so I won't rank it and I didn't play it because of Heavensward.

They nearly killed the raiding scene at the top end and the casual end disliked additions like Diadem being a storyless grind fest.

The crafting was pretty bad to until streamlined.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i've had a good weekends gaming, finally sat down to play the Artorias of the Abyss DLC, Sanctuary Guardian and Artorias were great bosses but I'm kind of at a wall with Manus and Kalameet

I would love to get all the trophies to say I'm finally done with Dark Souls but theres a lot too it with all the boss soul weapons

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
the best FFXIV was 1.0 because I've never been played harder than I was going from the beta to release

"surely they're going to add a bunch of other stuff on release"

epic prank

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Gas the FF thread for the terrible OP which rates an MMO as the best FF game

Done.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why are there only like four different colours of car these days

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Legit question what's good about watching competitive League of Legends Worlds over watching The International?

I understand that LoL is a better game to get into and play (I'm never going to play DOTA 2 after the tutorial made it clear it was not for me) but whenever I watch the pro-games it always feels like watching DOTA's laning stage for the majority of the game (the most boring part of any DOTA game from a spectator's point of view).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its a better game and its not as visually muddy and ugly

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fez_machine posted:

Legit question what's good about watching competitive League of Legends Worlds over watching The International?

if you watch enough lol you'll eventually see Ziggs who is a cool hero that should be in dota

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fez_machine posted:

I understand that LoL is a better game to get into and play (I'm never going to play DOTA 2 after the tutorial made it clear it was not for me) but whenever I watch the pro-games it always feels like watching DOTA's laning stage for the majority of the game (the most boring part of any DOTA game from a spectator's point of view).

league has a gradually ramping tempo and buildup between major objectives that DotA, from my experience watching, lacks. DotA has a lot more posturing all the time and more strategic map movements but it rarely has "the big moment" that people like to see in esports. DotA being a mechanically simple-to-execute game also doesn't help matters when it comes to creating exciting moments, since the most you really get is "did this guy pop BKB at the right time"

that's not to say it's a bad game or esport, but league has a clearer in-game narrative arc that people can follow and much higher highs compared to the more even distribution of tempo of DotA at a professional level

Vermain fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 30, 2022

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

poo poo i can hear the footsteps too

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Why are there only like four different colours of car these days

It makes shading instances easier.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Me: Mum can we have "Don't get taintreaped"?

Mum: We have taintreaper at home

Taintreaper at home:

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't get stuxed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Infinitum posted:

Me: Mum can we have "Don't get taintreaped"?

Mum: We have taintreaper at home

Taintreaper at home:

:hmmyes:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
like here's my pros and cons of DOTA watching (only the international)

Pros:
Stakes are high - with millions of dollars on the line there's a lot of tension to it
Very technical - millions of ways to slip up or gain slight advantage
Games are won or lost in draft - Drafting is reasonably boring but since it matters so much there's always tension there
Teams are a puzzle to figure out
You got to commit to big five man team fights - duelling basically doesn't exist past a certain point because a win or loss of certain heroes is so devastating
Items matter - TI was dominated by a team this year that figured out an item build that nobody could counter
Big game altering/defining abilities
Big last minute comebacks and reversals are possible
Bases get sieged and broken out of
Creeps matter but not that much
Farm matters but usually there's something else going on
Vision matters a lot and appreciating/understanding how vision works pays off in enjoying the game
Roshan tension (although this international they made Rosh confrontations too risky so they didn't happen enough)

Cons
Very technical - can be hard/exhausting to pay attention/follow everything
Laning stage - booooring for 99% of the time
Games are won or lost in draft - sometimes games are unwinnable from the get go (no tension)
Teams are a puzzle to figure out - see above if the opponent can't figure out the other team even a little
Items matter - hard to remember all the items and what they do
Farm matters - farming is very boring to watch
Vision matters - not very fun to think about and keep track of

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Vermain posted:

league has a gradually ramping tempo and buildup between major objectives that DotA, from my experience watching, lacks. DotA has a lot more posturing all the time and more strategic map movements but it rarely has "the big moment" that people like to see in esports. DotA being a mechanically simple-to-execute game also doesn't help matters when it comes to creating exciting moments, since the most you really get is "did this guy pop BKB at the right time"

that's not to say it's a bad game or esport, but league has a clearer in-game narrative arc that people can follow and much higher highs compared to the more even distribution of tempo of DotA at a professional level

huh, see for me Dota has tonnes of big moments, with way more variety than "did this guy pop BKB", a lot of mechanically hard to execute components, very low lows and very high highs, where as the League games I've watched have been largely the same over a longer period of time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

as someone who got into mobas by watching both and finding lol way better to watch, thats insane to me

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Larryb posted:

That’s how the Japanese school system works to my knowledge yes, kids typically only get the day off on Sunday

afaik that was more a thing a few decades ago and nowadays its sat and sun off, nu persona just keeps that because the writers are boomers or whatever?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mobas are insanely boring to me to watch. ill watch fighting games instead thanks

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Instead of watching bad games that killed the rts, consider watching French New Wave Cinema.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fake rts fan calling them dead when asl is still running and rules.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
League sucks as a game but it spawned Arcane, the best looking animated anything I've ever seen so League wins there

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There ain't no way Arcane is better animated than Ghost in the Shell, Akira, any classic Disney movie, or millennium actress

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I don't watch either anymore but I vastly preferred Dota especially because you can watch matches in client which was cool (maybe LoL has this now)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did the pokemon moba ever take off

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It pokemon WENT into the trash

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

the best FFXIV was 1.0 because I've never been played harder than I was going from the beta to release

"surely they're going to add a bunch of other stuff on release"

epic prank

So many people, including lots of goons, were convinced that the 1.0 release from beta would be really good. The handful of us with a lot of MMO launch day experience said otherwise but no one listened.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What I don't understand is, why do they bother making bad games? Wouldn't it make more sense for devs to make good ones?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jay Rust posted:

What I don't understand is, why do they bother making bad games? Wouldn't it make more sense for devs to make good ones?

Dunkey cracked the code and said he's only gonna publish good games. The future is here

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Did the pokemon moba ever take off

It's still trucking along and got promoted at the pokemon world championship so it's probably doing okay?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

hatty posted:

Dunkey cracked the code and said he's only gonna publish good games. The future is here

See, only a real gamer could come up with that idea. Producers should hire more gamers.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm only part of the way through Endwalker but its weird dodging spoilers, now that its been out almost a year the audience seems pretty love / hate. So far I've really been enjoying it though.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

haveblue posted:

Finished Signalis and it's real good. It's no more or less than a PS1-era survival horror game released in 2022. It's top-down fixed-camera scenes where you sneak around trying to avoid or kill enemies and solve puzzles that are almost all either "find 3 macguffins and put them in the right places" or "flip these 5 switches in the right sequence". The story is obtuse and heady sci-fi about lesbian robots with defective memories (this is not a complaint). The only real annoyance is that the limited inventory makes a lot of puzzles take many more trips back and forth to solve than they really should. 10/10 glad I played this on Halloween weekend

i finished early and pretty much agree. the '[GAME] explained' channels are going to get a lot of mileage of this one

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

im fuckin fighting for my life just to stay in teal ranks, this sucks :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The game is tough lol, and the majority of the people playing online have a lot of hours in it. I just got demoted too

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDQ4dUQegqw

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Late to the XIV chat, but I think Endwalker has been my favorite so far, but I can see how others may have different ones as their favorite. Endwalker resonated with me a lot in many ways, but all of them have been great to me, except for 1.0 I guess since I never played it. I've also met some great people through the game and have a lot of fun doing stuff with them.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 31, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about God of War 2018: I never did actually complete the game, and with Ragnorok coming out I was wondering how long until the end I was there. I left off shortly after Kratos told Atreus that they were gods. Not out of any particular dislike; My interest just went elsewhere and never really returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about God of War 2018: I never did actually complete the game, and with Ragnorok coming out I was wondering how long until the end I was there. I left off shortly after Kratos told Atreus that they were gods. Not out of any particular dislike; My interest just went elsewhere and never really returned.

Probably about 2/3-3/4 of the way through, depending on how much side stuff you did