Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mister Bates posted:

it turns out that Haiti has the French punishment payments for daring to win a slave revolt simulated in game, I see no clear way to get rid of them, and they eat over 90% of your income.

does it work on the other end? if you play as France are you constantly getting a pile of money from Haiti?

Yeah, if you look at France in the diplo window they have a modifier for a tax revenue flat increase from the Haiti reparations.

You can get rid of them via a journal entry just by pressing a button to refuse to keep paying them, but it gives France claims on Haiti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snooze Cruise posted:

the trade routes one is a god send. all the other UI mods there are better but for the most part the base game UI works for me but god.... that trade menu is atrocious

Yeah, honestly a lot of the UI is really decent, but could use some extra feedback and improvements, the type you can really only get with wide release of a game like Vicky3. I do like the lenses though as it makes building and decrees really easy to do, kind of like Tropic had for its setup back in the day.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

If you become a protectorate your generals will adopt the european style dresses of your protector.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Zeron posted:

Yeah moving declared interest button is an easy fix.

Some other mods I like:
Dense Trade Routes: Makes the trade routes screen a lot better.
Dense Market Details: Same for market screen.
Construction Queue with States: Similar with the construction queue.
No American Colonization of Canada: Brute force fix for this, mainly an issue cause it was preventing Canada from forming.
Decentralized Nations Cannot Be Annexed: Brute force fix for countries being able to colonize super fast by just annexing them in uprisings.
Anbeeld's Revision of AI: Currently just messes with the economy, makes AI nations quite a bit more competitive even if it's not quite perfect yet. Helps with them not producing oil/rubber.
Improved Automation: Just adds a couple more checks to auto-expand, by default it keeps expanding even if you have no more pops or there's input shortages and this fixes that.

Saw one comment on Anbeeld's Revision of AI that claimed that it made the AI less prone to expand their military but not sure to what degree that’s true.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My Lan Fang game is going well except one of other Bornean nations is stuck in an endless civil war. I’m scared that will stop me from uniting the island.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mister Bates posted:

it turns out that Haiti has the French punishment payments for daring to win a slave revolt simulated in game, I see no clear way to get rid of them, and they eat over 90% of your income.

does it work on the other end? if you play as France are you constantly getting a pile of money from Haiti?

You can get rid of it by decision and it almost always instantly fixes your income but France is 95% going to beat the poo poo out of you for it.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
So I've thought about the economy way too much some. And by thinking I mean I did a bunch of questionably useful math. I figured I'd post too many some graphs.

So, from putting all of my market's prices in a spreadsheet and graphing them, I was able to figure out that the price multiplier is equal to 0.75*(buy orders)/(sell orders)+0.25 when there are more buy orders than sell orders, 1.75-0.75*(sell orders)/(buy orders) when the other way around. Capped at 1.75 and 0.25, of course.

So, having figured this out, I first turned to figuring out how to maximize revenue when buy orders are constant and assuming no trade routes.

Turns out that's at 7/6 sell:buy orders ratio. (That's -12.5% price modifier) Only about 2% higher than 1:1, though. So, if you were exporting everything, you don't want to go higher than that. Let's look at the derivative:

Well, that's... interesting. Selling stuff at +75% price is quite lucrative, of course, but if you have a monopoly then you're basically selling every additional good at -75% price until you hit 0%, at which point it gets even worse and goes negative at -12.5% before returning to -75% once the price reaches that.

But what if you're using the goods yourself?

Or in terms of how much sell orders beyond half of buy orders reduce costs:

Of course, if the seller and buyer are both your own buildings, you probably might be interested in the sum of the seller's revenue and the savings on the buyer's end? I dunno, don't ask me for actual economic advice, I'm busy going chain bankrupt as Belgium. #1 GDP but still can't stay solvent long enough to build manufacturing buildings. I'm going to call it total value for now.

Local maximum at 5:3 sell:buy, -50% price. In case you want to see the composition,

It was the goddamned anarchists. And sky high wages murdering profitability on most buildings. But I should've shot the anarchists and went vanguardist, I'm sure that would have solved everything! With consumption taxes! Anyway here's the derivative of value generated.

Interesting discontinuities here, though you could see them in the value chart too. Ignoring the effect of input shortages, you get a spike when you start lowering the price. Drops pretty sharply, though. And again, you're actually losing money when going from 5:3 sell:buy to 2:1. I managed to build some new oil rigs lately, which was nice. Bankruptcies are down to about twice per year, so I should be able to start building stuff again soon. Had to completely disband the military, though.

Of course none of this really helps me since it doesn't consider employment, welfare for unemployed pops, or even the input costs for the seller increasing when raising production. Then there's the question of trade, and how much you care about saving your pops money when they're buying goods, whether buy orders are actually constant, etc etc. I guess the main takeaways are that you definitely don't want to go beyond -50% price usually, or... below +75% if you control all of the sell orders in the market and don't care about the buyers. Unless you want to increase employment or something.

I did pass Autocracy later, by the way. Promising to purge the anarchist bureaucrats helped pass it. Too many radicals by then though, turmoil everywhere. One last graph, this time my GDP. Pretty obvious I was trying all kinds of random poo poo to unfuck my budget, isn't it?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Stux posted:

i mean this is 100% on purpose. idk what youre expecting

Yeah, I really love authority and influence as mechanics. Authority is incredibly powerful and incredibly useful, but it's only available in large quantities when your laws are well behind the times. It's a resource I find myself constantly juggling throughout the game, but it just limits what I can do, rather than being a currency that I can spend.

Influence is the same way - I often want to do a lot with my influence, but even just letting it sit there is extremely powerful because then I get to burn off more infamy faster. There's that neat tradeoff where I can't do everything I want, so I have to pick and choose and prioritize things in a very dynamic fashion.

They're both great, and I love that they are pools that can be changed on the fly rather than a currency that stockpiles over time. It's a much better limiter of action and really makes for a fun set of systems.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Anyone run into anything like this?

Devastation is 100%, leaving me with zero infrastructure, and the daily change is 0%. The region isn't at war or being attacked. I don't see how I can fix this.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
authority is a cool mechanic cause consumption taxes can be free money if you keep prices low for what you tax anyway but then ur stuck with a regressive hell hole

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Funky Valentine posted:

You can get rid of it by decision and it almost always instantly fixes your income but France is 95% going to beat the poo poo out of you for it.

Though the AI is bad at war so it might be worth the coin toss

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Magil Zeal posted:

Anyone run into anything like this?

Devastation is 100%, leaving me with zero infrastructure, and the daily change is 0%. The region isn't at war or being attacked. I don't see how I can fix this.

not dropping is weird

volcanic eruptions and earthquakes will occasionally gently caress your poo poo up but they start dropping

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Pakled posted:

I tried doing this with sulphur in the early game as Brazil, setting my factories to consume it and not importing much to leave the price high in the hopes that my market partner Venezuela would start building sulphur mines in its sulphur producing state, but it never did, it just seemed to favor agriculture and logging there despite me leaving the price of sulphur high for several years.

A lot of undeveloped nations specifically have agriculture or cash crops as economic priorities. Might be overwhelming the high potential gain from building mines.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Funky Valentine posted:

Join British market, become #1 GDP per capita in 20 years, French will not bother you

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Potential oil producing regions:
  • In North America
    • Kansas (20)
    • Oklahoma (20)
    • Pennsylvania (36)
    • Ontario (40)
    • Alberta (50)
    • Texas (50)
    • California (60)
    • Rio Grande (50)
  • In South America
    • Zulia (60)
    • Santa Cruz (30)
    • La Paz (30)
  • In Western Europe
    • Friesland (30)
    • Elbe (30)
    • Hannover (30)
  • In Eastern Europe
    • West Galicia (36)
    • Wallachia (60)
    • Perm (60)
  • In Siberia
    • Nenetsia (30)
  • In Central Asia
    • Kuban (30)
    • Azerbaijan (60)
    • Samara (30)
    • Tartaria (60)
    • Uralsk(60)
  • In North Africa
    • Libyan Desert (30)
  • In the Middle East
    • Abu Dhabi (40)
    • Mosul (50)
    • Basra (60)
    • Fars (60)
  • In East Asia
    • Shanxi (30)
    • Chubu (30)
  • In Indonesia
    • East Borneo (60)
    • East Java (20)

lol no oil in South asia?
no oil in Assam? the second place where oil was extracted IRL?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah I'm gonna need a way to make the Sambas eternal civil war end if I want to ever annex them. Anyone got a trick on how to do this? Do I just bankroll one side and hope they start building troops?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tankbuster posted:

lol no oil in South asia?
no oil in Assam? the second place where oil was extracted IRL?

Let’s be honest, the way resources are set up will be so different in a few patches. I seem to recall Saudi Arabia, never producing oil originally in hearts of iron 4, even when they added it as a resource initially.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
In my game France was doing well and leading the pack as the leading nation of the world, but then it suffered a series of civil wars between rival monarchist claims until finally Occitan got sick of Parisian family drama causing repeated wars and successfully declared independence, while the surviving French nation went through ANOTHER civil war that turned it fascist.

In general the AI doesn’t seem too good at managing radicalism, almost every country in Europe is reporting something like 40% or higher radicals which I can’t imagine helps with political stability.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah I'm gonna need a way to make the Sambas eternal civil war end if I want to ever annex them. Anyone got a trick on how to do this? Do I just bankroll one side and hope they start building troops?

One option is to tag switch to one of the sides and order them to capitulate, but I dunno if you get the choice to tag-switch before the game ends because you got annexed.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
How do you join someone’s market? Is that the same as the customs union option?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Turmoil seems to just be an inevitable force of nature for me and the AI lategame. Every nation I can switch to seems to have a lot of it, causing tax waste. I basically drop my taxes to the lowest with no consumption, and still, great turmoil. It's a bit odd. Seems impossible to keep your pop relatively happy enough to ensure there is no tax waste turmoil.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Anyone played as the East India Company? Any ideas on what I am supposed to do would be nice.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Demon Of The Fall posted:

How do you join someone’s market? Is that the same as the customs union option?

Yup. Make youself sorta worth it and then get positive relations. Best shot is with an adjacent great power.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

europe having lots of revolutions is probably by design??

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Tomn posted:

One option is to tag switch to one of the sides and order them to capitulate, but I dunno if you get the choice to tag-switch before the game ends because you got annexed.

You do. I had to do it to end an unending war or two in Germany. Capitulations take a day to go through after accepting.

If you do this to 'fix' your unending war tho, be sure to go into your production tab afterwards and re-enable all the buildings you have on autoexpand.

The AI takes over your country *immediately* when you tag switch, but the only thing they seem to actually change in an unpaused state is your factories being told to expand. It would be nice if, for the period where the game is so unstable with odd things like this which the player may need to fix for playabilities sake, if the AI would only take over on factory expansions a single day after an unpause from changing nation. Dunno if that is even possible tho.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 30, 2022

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

europe having lots of revolutions is probably by design??

Nah it's not revolutions really because it never actually pops off. It's just a 1890s unending turmoil despite there being no clear reason to be like that. Wouldn't be bothered or confused about if I could easily trace precisely why I always have 10-25% of my country pissed off and not paying taxes despite providing them luxury that makes them the most comfortable people on the planet.

I've done 50 hours by now (two Italy runs, Austria, Korea, Sweden, Baravia into SGF then Germany, Serbia), and it seems to happen at the end every time. Seems particularly bad in the AI, which cannot handle it.

Oh and the one big addition from my big list I forgot about.

Production

- Make art something worth competing over lategame. It generally isn't very profitable, and only provides 60 prestige if you are the world leader. 60 prestige when I have like 6,000 prestige is not a lot or worth investing in employing valuable pops in inefficient and unprofitable ventures. Being the world leader of it is easy to get too because the AI will never really go for it. Make that world leader bonus double with every art tech? That would make it provide 960 prestige by endgame, which definitely would be worth competing over. Maybe make it more expensive as a result.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Let’s be honest, the way resources are set up will be so different in a few patches. I seem to recall Saudi Arabia, never producing oil originally in hearts of iron 4, even when they added it as a resource initially.

this one isn’t super absurd though? the oil boom in that region hadn’t really taken off yet

Assam ya I got nothing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dunno end of my argentina game i had 1/3rd of the country as loyalists, radicals ticking down below 100k, and i had no turmoil issues all game except in newly conquored states. if you keep everyones needs met and their standard of life increasing everyone seems very happy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

maybe passing laws everyone hates?? idk

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

dunno end of my argentina game i had 1/3rd of the country as loyalists, radicals ticking down below 100k, and i had no turmoil issues all game except in newly conquored states. if you keep everyones needs met and their standard of life increasing everyone seems very happy.

I'm able to get 1/3rd or more loyalists. It just seems there is no way to actually make people stop being radicals past a certain point - and the AI seems to have that issue too. A lategame fave is to tab over to France and see their country just on fire constantly for... no real reason.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

yeah I think folks aren’t paying attention to “increase standard of living” as well as “don’t fire people”, those are the two biggest ways to get your population wildly in love with you

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I've literally never fired anyone, and my focus is just lowering taxes as much as possible at all times. My standard of living, outside of the Germany game due to constant hell wars, is basically constantly going up and usually #1.

Maybe I'm missing something in there. But the AI doesn't seem to get it either it seems.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I've had no real problem with turmoil myself, while large parts of europe are perpetually on fire. But I also went full communism, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Another Person posted:

I'm able to get 1/3rd or more loyalists. It just seems there is no way to actually make people stop being radicals past a certain point - and the AI seems to have that issue too. A lategame fave is to tab over to France and see their country just on fire constantly for... no real reason.

no, you absolutely can?

this is 1 month before the game ended, and even that one state has no actual turmoil debuffs. the rest are nearly all sitting at literally 0.0% turmoil. i was still decaying some radicalism in that region from getting the last automation upgrade on my textile mills there.

the radicals tooltip will show you exactly what is causing the increases.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

What does it say when you hover your mouse over the radicals number in the tooltip?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Zikan posted:

What does it say when you hover your mouse over the radicals number in the tooltip?

Well, I don't have any of my 1900+ saves as Italy since I don't actually make an endsave (need to stop doing that).

But if I go to 1890, the last hardsave I made in it, I can see my country has 1.89m radicals. If I hover over, the sum of radicals adds up to only 530,000. But it seems to only show increases - when it should show how many for what reason and if they are increasing. So a more useful tooltip would be...

"121,380 from decreases in Standard of Living (+20,000 since...)"

instead of just how much it has gone up by. That might be more helpful to me? At least it would let me diagnose long-term radicals, instead of just new ones.

Weirdly, discrimination seems to be in there, but I do have all the anti-discrimination laws. There is also being fired in there, but that is probably from upgrading tech instead of anything else. Nothing in there for standard of living decreases.

Stux posted:

no, you absolutely can?

this is 1 month before the game ended, and even that one state has no actual turmoil debuffs. the rest are nearly all sitting at literally 0.0% turmoil. i was still decaying some radicalism in that region from getting the last automation upgrade on my textile mills there.

the radicals tooltip will show you exactly what is causing the increases.

I definitely believe you can. I do not believe the AI can, which is more of an issue. Results in it doing possibly less than it could be doing endgame.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

One thing that can cause a lot of radicals is having an unstable construction industry. If you don't have a steady amount of construction it can cause large swings in construction resource prices which will cause the employees of those industries to lose wages or be laid off. Large price swings in general will lead to lots of radicals.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

paradox not having an AI in this game is indeed bad. was hoping thatd be something they’d jmprove this time, but I updated the defines so that might help

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tomn posted:

In my game France was doing well and leading the pack as the leading nation of the world, but then it suffered a series of civil wars between rival monarchist claims until finally Occitan got sick of Parisian family drama causing repeated wars and successfully declared independence, while the surviving French nation went through ANOTHER civil war that turned it fascist.

In general the AI doesn’t seem too good at managing radicalism, almost every country in Europe is reporting something like 40% or higher radicals which I can’t imagine helps with political stability.

Tag switching is one of the few things that break achievements unfortunately. :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I made Scandinavia and I don't have any way to diploannex Schleswig or Holstein, which seems kinda odd. I get it for places further afield, I've got strong relations with and control over Lubeck and Mecklenburg too, but I get it if I can't just snag those up, but places that started out as a puppet of a Scandi power and are, at least in Schleswig's case, possessed of a significant Danish minority, seem like they should have joined up to begin with or be possible to get now. As it stands I'd have to tank relations and stuff to try, as far as I can tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waifu Radia posted:

yeah I think folks aren’t paying attention to “increase standard of living” as well as “don’t fire people”, those are the two biggest ways to get your population wildly in love with you

If I increase their standards of living then lazy pops will get used to luxurious living. It's much better to keep them at the edge of starvation to better increase their appreciation for what little they have, besides it frees up more resources for the job creators