Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Aperture Priority posted:

Well my wife and I drove down to the local Rad Power retail location and test rode several models. People were super cool and not pushy about sales at all, just made recommendations and talked about what we needed. Having not ridden a bike in years to riding the streets of Berkeley was a little panic-inducing but it went really well!

In the end we ordered a RadRover 6 Plus step through for me and a RadExpand 5 for my wife. They’re heavy as hell but manageable. Looking forward to them becoming our daily commuters since gas just went up to $6.50 in our area.

I rode a Rad bike a few times in Olympia and really enjoyed it. It was definitely heavy with both the front and rear rack, but I was able to go 50 miles on a charge or so. The place I rented it even let me do a battery swap in the middle of a long day of riding.

I almost went with the RadRunner, but last night I bought the Radio Flyer L885 longtail cargo e-bike. I went a little nuts, getting both kid carriers (have a 4 year old and a 1 year old who still needs the baby carrier), a front rack, an extra battery, and the cell phone holder.
https://flyer.radioflyer.com/flyer-l885.html

I also bought a rack after somehow talking my wife into using our "formal dining room" as bike storage instead of our garage:
https://www.shoplet.com/Global-Industrial-153-Indoor-Vertical-Fat-Tire-Bike-Rack-4-Bike-Capacity-Black/GLO670515/spdv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

acidx posted:

So long as you don't ride like an rear end in a top hat you generally won't get hassled. 1000w BBSHD's are over the limit in every state, but they are everywhere

Yeah, this. Most cops I have spoken to wouldn't know to differentiate or operate the display to check if the speed limit has been changed. I sell tons of the 1000w BBSHDs, and ride my 1000W BBSHD everywhere regularly faster than the cars while in the bike lane and no cop has ever batted an eyelash as I am within the speed limit, just faster than traffic during rush hour. Just don't spook horses and slow down passing pedestrians and be nice.

I used to work for Rad, and I can tell you that the Rad Wagon was a nightmare launch. We had to go to the DC and work on every single bike in the box due to serious issues out of the factory. I predicted every issue they've had so far. The problem is that they are greedy and probably now hemorrhaging money with tons of bikes clogging their DCs after expanding so fast and hiring a bunch of bombastic c-suite executives out of unrelated industries with dumb, pie in the sky ideas. They expanded into retail, which was a good decision, and then better ebikes took off for not that much more money with better electrical/mechanical components and bigger motors. I am guessing they are going to go with cheaper models across the board. I know what the margins are on their bikes and those sale prices are not a good sign.

The Rad Mission was such a dumb bike, too. I hope the business fails, they did so many dumb things while I worked there with zero experience in the bike industry - if there is one thing I can say about ecomm DTC companies and in particular their CEOs it's that they have a deep distrust of the LBS industry which is partially valid but not in the sense of wholesale rejection of its values and experience.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You're forgetting one important aspect. Rad is getting venture funding so they might be able to burn all their competition to the ground before the need to be profitable.

E: also, thank you. I thought I was going crazy as the only person talking poo poo about radpower.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Nearly every vc funded dtc startup investor storytime is about disrupting existing markets which for like shaving razors or boxers fine who gives a poo poo but for a $1k-5k device that can injure you badly if it fails at 20 mph, maaaybe a lbs (or equivalent repair shop) has an important place in the ecosystem.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Naw just throw it away and get another one after you become a paraplegic because the brakes are defective.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Funny you should so offhandedly mention that, since the brakes of my radpower did spontaneously fail a few days ago. Cartoonishly, it was at the top of a very steep hill. I had to scrape my feet for quite a ways to actually stop. If I wouldn't have pumped my brakes and noticed the problem right at the top of the hill to have most of the way down to figure out a plan, or if I hadn't had a full block at the bottom before entering heavy traffic, it could have ended really badly, no joke. I know nothing about bike engineering, but I thought squeezing the things on the handles was supposed to be a sure thing all of the time, even though they were squeaky. I guess it's more of a 'most of the time' thing. Geez. Am I gonna trust bikes again or am I gonna raise an eyebrow every time before I brake from now on? Idk. Still processing all this.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hydraulic? You got the one with the integrated battery?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Yes to both, Rover 6+

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

A Bag of Milk posted:

I guess it's more of a 'most of the time' thing. Geez. Am I gonna trust bikes again or am I gonna raise an eyebrow every time before I brake from now on? Idk. Still processing all this.

Was one of your considerations to have the bike looked at by a shop?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Did both your brakes go out at once?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I left out some crucial details, so I'll elaborate.

Trouble started when I was cleaning and lubing my chain the other day. I noticed afterwards that the left brake didn't work. I figured I messed something up with the wiring, but didn't see any problems. To reiterate, when it comes to this stuff I am not an enthusiast. I'm just trying to get around the city. Lubing and cleaning a chain represents the pinnacle of my knowledge and abilities. So unless something is clearly wrong or broken in a general visual inspection, I won't catch it. And, idk, looks like a bike.

Afterwards, I made an appointment with the local radpower shop, but they were pretty booked and hard to work around my work schedule. But I'm still under warranty, so I'm not going anywhere else. (owned 5 months, between 500-600 miles)

My error in all this, and the reason why I'll take part of the blame here, is that I never assumed the other side of the brake would also fail within a few days, and in a completely different context. Like, if it were 'wear and tear' that did me in, how did the first brake fail while not in use? Again, there's clearly a reason for that that I just don't know. My hope would be that a bike made for a layperson wouldn't be designed in such a way that it could put the user in mortal danger, but look where that doe-eyed naivete got me.

Anyways, by the time the second set of brakes failed, I already had the maintenance booked. So in a few short days I'll get some answers maybe, but for now, still dunno.

In conclusion yeah I'm kinda dumb but also c'mon man.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

Trouble started when I was cleaning and lubing my chain the other day. I noticed afterwards that the left brake didn't work.

You noticed while you were still cleaning the bike (like before first real ride) that it didn't work? Left brake meaning the front (for not-UK)?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

By any chance do you store your bike upside down or by hanging the front wheel?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

CopperHound posted:

I am not doing this, but why should I not do this?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

tildes posted:

I am not doing this, but why should I not do this?

It can lead to air bubbles getting trapped in your hydraulic brakes leading to suddenly they don't stop when you pull the handle.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

You noticed while you were still cleaning the bike (like before first real ride) that it didn't work? Left brake meaning the front (for not-UK)?

I noticed when I was moving the bike right after cleaning it, that the brake was unresponsive. In retrospect, I just happened to notice in that moment and automatically connected the events in my head. It would have been possible that I may not have noticed until my next ride. And really, the cleaning may have nothing to do with the damage. I don't know enough to say.

As I type this out I'm wondering if the brake was already broken by the time I started cleaning. I didn't notice anything wrong on my previous ride that I can remember, but the second set of brakes went from working normally to being completely unresponsive in a split second, so something could have happened at any moment after the last time I braked. Hard to speculate.

By left brake I meant the one on the handlebar activated by my left hand.

CopperHound posted:

Nope, I don't even have a rack. I just park it with the kickstand.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

It can lead to air bubbles getting trapped in your hydraulic brakes leading to suddenly they don't stop when you pull the handle.

How likely is this failure mode? I store my bike with hydraulic brakes like this...

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce
Do you know how to check the brake pads? A very common issue with the cheap OEM brake pads is that they wear out fast and even faster on a fast and heavy ebike. The pistons can overextrude to compensate and fail, requiring caliper replacement and full bleed. I've seen this happen a few dozen times now. Also check that brakes are covered under warranty - brake pads certainly aren't ever, and some ebike companies are not honoring warranty on any part of the braking system unless faulty out of the box.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

theratking posted:

How likely is this failure mode? I store my bike with hydraulic brakes like this...

I've stored multiple bikes like this for years. I have had one brake "failure" where there was some air in the lines. Pumping the brake lever got it working enough for me to get home and add fluid/burp the system.

I think this is on the same level as "batteries stored on concrete go bad faster" old wives tales.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I’ve stored my mountain bike vertically for years without issue and Terns can stand on end as a feature. Not saying it couldn’t cause issues but it hasn’t for me yet.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The air bubble thing shouldn't happen with properly bled brakes, but often times you can have brakes with air trapped at the master cylinder that don't have problems as long as the master cylinder remains the high point of the system.

My question was more about trouble shooting, not suggesting that it is a wrong thing to do.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Is there a reputable source for ebike reviews and information. Ebike youtube seems like one of the most ridiculously captured group of reviewers I've ever seen. Everyone is getting free bikes to keep and seems to have significant relationships with manufacturers. All reviews reviewed by everyone are apparently great

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

No. You need to collate both owner and mechanic feedback to get an honest understanding.

Or get people to send me bikes. I'll give it an honest review. I'll ride it and take it apart and if we're lucky, put it back together.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

T.C. posted:

Is there a reputable source for ebike reviews and information. Ebike youtube seems like one of the most ridiculously captured group of reviewers I've ever seen. Everyone is getting free bikes to keep and seems to have significant relationships with manufacturers. All reviews reviewed by everyone are apparently great

In Germany there is a government-funded institution that does regular independent reviews of anything including e-bikes and they regularly have bikes from the KTM Macina line coming out on top, no idea if they're easily available in the US, though. (assuming you're from there)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The best place I've found is the Something Awful forums for real reviews. Seriously, this place has saved me so much money over the years.

I got my Radio Flyer L885 yesterday. It's a fat-tired cargo e-bike with a long tail. You'll quickly notice the running boards, this thing was built around carrying kids and gear.

I went a little nuts with the accessories because we just sold our old house and I want this to be our main source of locomotion around the neighborhood for a long time. Mine basically looks like this on the back now:

I had 6 boxes show up yesterday, they had:
-The bike (2000)
-Extra battery (500)
-Kid/Cargo rack (200)
-Baby carrier for my toddler (250)
-Front Basket (100)
-Cell phone mount (20)

I ordered it Thursday and it showed up the following Wednesday from Chicago. It took me about an hour to put it together, but it was easily 30 minutes just unboxing it. The kickstand helps you hold it in place while you assemble and attach everything. The build quality was pretty good for a bike at this price range. I charged the main battery while working and took my little guy on a ride in the dark. It took a minute to figure out how to turn on the headlight, but once we did we went out for an easy 4 miles. Everything seems to work properly, and I'll give a more thorough review after I break it in.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 27, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nocheez posted:

-Front Basket (100)

I'm curious if there's any open/quasi standard around these mounts on cargo bikes:

That doesn't look like either Tern's old system (4 face bolts in almost a square) or new system (2 long bolts in the plane of the mounting face).
The Radio Flyer design there looks like it's two water bottle mount spacings side by side?
So at least you could mount a bottle cage up there.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
No clue, but the basket has two cupholders built-into it. Also, it has a zippered pouch somehow big enough to fit my monster phone in it (S22 Ultra).

Edit: a pic, in sunlight finally!

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 27, 2022

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Update on my brake failure:

Looks like I will need two new rotors and a new brake assembly. I watched the mechanic pull mangled and broken pieces of metal out of my bike with pliers. Jeez. I guess I'll take squeaky brakes more seriously in the future.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Nocheez posted:

The best place I've found is the Something Awful forums for real reviews. Seriously, this place has saved me so much money over the years.

I got my Radio Flyer L885 yesterday. It's a fat-tired cargo e-bike with a long tail. You'll quickly notice the running boards, this thing was built around carrying kids and gear.

I went a little nuts with the accessories because we just sold our old house and I want this to be our main source of locomotion around the neighborhood for a long time. Mine basically looks like this on the back now:

I had 6 boxes show up yesterday, they had:
-The bike (2000)
-Extra battery (500)
-Kid/Cargo rack (200)
-Baby carrier for my toddler (250)
-Front Basket (100)
-Cell phone mount (20)

I ordered it Thursday and it showed up the following Wednesday from Chicago. It took me about an hour to put it together, but it was easily 30 minutes just unboxing it. The kickstand helps you hold it in place while you assemble and attach everything. The build quality was pretty good for a bike at this price range. I charged the main battery while working and took my little guy on a ride in the dark. It took a minute to figure out how to turn on the headlight, but once we did we went out for an easy 4 miles. Everything seems to work properly, and I'll give a more thorough review after I break it in.

I'm in the market for an ebike with kid carriers. I keep going back and forth between the wheelbarrow/front bucket style and this back-rack style. Is there a clear advantage for one over the other for kid+ stuff hauling?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Inexperienced bike owners + heavy and powerful e-bikes + cheapest possible cable discs and 180mm rotors = so much potential.

These bikes should come with beefed-up e-bike specific disc-brake hardware.

mystes
May 31, 2006

How about an e-cargo fixie with no brakes instead?

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

El Mero Mero posted:

I'm in the market for an ebike with kid carriers. I keep going back and forth between the wheelbarrow/front bucket style and this back-rack style. Is there a clear advantage for one over the other for kid+ stuff hauling?

Main downsides of the wheelbarrow style are price, and being more cumbersome to store/lock up. For certain parking rack designs, only the end positions work. Can be tricky to transport with an automobile due to length although some longtails share this difficulty.

It’s easier to keep an eye on/talk to your kid with them ahead of you, the low center of gravity for the cargo box is better for stability (less tippy), and I really appreciate the ease of fitting a weather/wind protection tarp for the cargo area due to living in an area where those are common. The Tern Storm Shield is a similar weather protection product for the mid/longtail style, but I’d hate to be riding in a strong crosswind with one of those mounted.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

El Mero Mero posted:

This is my first one, so I don't know the answer to your question. I did my first ride today with both kids and the bike did great. I'm really excited to use it more going forward.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017

T.C. posted:

No, but there is sort of parity in the ebike world - pick ecomm or LBS, pick a bike type you want, and pick a price point and you tend to get the same product and quality.

Ecomm ebikes usually use Bafang systems which are more powerful and cheaper; made in China and most ecomm ebikes are made in China. That said ecomm electrical warranty and repair can be a nightmare. It's getting better but it's the most consistent source of frustration and bad reviews. Some LBS will not work on ebikes.

Owners groups on social media tend to give a balanced view, about 1 negative post for every 25 or so good ones for most brands. Some people get that you've purchased a specialty product remotely so diagnostics and repairs just take time. Some are incensed that they have to be without their bike until the factory completes a run of parts or stuff has to come from China. It's a specialty product without brick and mortar support for supply and repair, so accept that before you purchase. About 1/40 ecomm bikes will see failure of some electrical component in the first three years. Depending on supply chain, this is an easy fix or a six month wait, or worse.

LBS ebike, big brands, tend to have higher quality electrical and support, with fewer problems and quicker fixes (Bosch, for example has regular firmware patches while Bafang does not). That said they are smaller 250W motors with no throttle, although good quality batteries.

The questions I would ask of an ecomm brand is, how many mechanical parts are proprietary and if they fail, how is supply chain for them (headset, hub spacing, bottom bracket, seatpost, tires, things like that). Google the bike and model and add the word warranty and see what comes up. Buy more bike than you think you need. Make sure you can upgrade things like the brakes, suspension, wheels and drivetrain. Get a modern tire size, 26" fatbike does not offer a lot of aftermarket options. Make sure the batteries have a good reputation by scrolling through owners groups discussions.

Personally I start with the motor. If you can afford a bike with one, the 1000W mid drive is awesome. Get the most modern drivetrain you can afford (i.e. freehub not freewheel, 8 speed or better), hydraulic brakes and the larger the rotor the better.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Heliogabalos posted:

Get a modern tire size, 26" fatbike does not offer a lot of aftermarket options.

Eh, there's enough options in the 3.8-4.3 range to get by. Origin8 Supercells can do pavement, and there's a lot more options as you start to get more knobby. The big issue with fat ebikes is that you're sacrificing speed, range, maneuverability, and every other thing you can sacrifice on a bike except for fun factor and roll over everything ability. If you care about stuff other than fun and rolling over everything, there's probably a better option.

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Well this sum bitch is heavy as hell, and just as fun.

Rode about 12 miles yesterday and aside from needing to adjust cable tension on the derailleur haven’t had any problems. I also had to tweak the brake alignment on my wife’s RadExpand 5 because of occasional squeaking but hers is also working fantastic.

It’s my day off but I have an important meeting so I rode in as a test run to see how it is. I’m estimating it’ll take me about 20 minutes to ride to work at an average of 15mph versus 7 minutes driving so it’s not cutting into my beauty rest too much,

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Elon could have just built like 50 million E-Bikes and given them out to people who need them, and everyone would be so happy, but no, he had to do this dumb poo poo instead.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

No clue, but the basket has two cupholders built-into it. Also, it has a zippered pouch somehow big enough to fit my monster phone in it (S22 Ultra).

Edit: a pic, in sunlight finally!

That looks great and very useful. If Someone sold this in the EU they'd go like hot cakes.

It’s my day off but I have an important meeting so I rode in as a test run to see how it is. I’m estimating it’ll take me about 20 minutes to ride to work at an average of 15mph versus 7 minutes driving so it’s not cutting into my beauty rest too much,
You'll also feel way better. Also if you're mostly commuting yeet these tires ASAP

A Bag of Milk posted:

Looks like I will need two new rotors and a new brake assembly. I watched the mechanic pull mangled and broken pieces of metal out of my bike with pliers. Jeez. I guess I'll take squeaky brakes more seriously in the future.
LOL what the gently caress

TobinHatesYou posted:

These bikes should come with beefed-up e-bike specific disc-brake hardware.
I mean any decent 4pot system should work but yeah

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 4, 2022

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

evil_bunnY posted:

You'll also feel way better. Also if you're mostly commuting yeet these tires ASAP

So far I haven’t had an issue with them, is there a recommendation for 26x4’s that you like?

It’s only been a week but I’m actually excited to ride to and from work now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

So far I haven’t had an issue with them, is there a recommendation for 26x4’s that you like?

It’s only been a week but I’m actually excited to ride to and from work now!

They look fine for commuting for a 26x4, but 26x4 isn't an ideal commuter tire size. If you want more speed/acceleration or battery life, you could put a narrower tire. You might lose a bit of the fun factor and a little bit of that feeling of being able to roll over anything though, so it's personal preference.

Edit: I was looking at the wrong picture. Origin8 Supercells would be a good choice imo, or you could go narrower like I mentioned above.

acidx fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 5, 2022