Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

We have one of these at home which will do the same thing. My wife is super paranoid about our kids choking since she saw one of her classmates choke on a hotdog in 2nd grade and had to be trached in front of everyone in the cafeteria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Turpitude posted:

Saw a video that was kind of cool recently. A toddler was choking and everyone was trying to do CPR but could not get past the obstruction. The first cop or EMT who showed up said he was divinely inspired to do "reverse CPR" (lol) and SUCKED the obstruction out of the toddler's throat. So always remember goons, if blowing isn't working, give sucking a try!

Definitely trying this the next time I come upon a choking toddler.

"No no a person online told me they saw a video of a guy doing this and it worked. Let me give it a shot."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Little kids are easy to save from choking, you can just aim them at someone and squeeze em like one of those old rubber ping pong ball guns

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

B-Rock452 posted:

We have one of these at home which will do the same thing. My wife is super paranoid about our kids choking since she saw one of her classmates choke on a hotdog in 2nd grade and had to be trached in front of everyone in the cafeteria

They made a better one of these for an I Think You Should Leave sketch.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Each day we shovel coal for the furnace, each day we work in silence

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

HolHorsejob posted:

Each day we shovel coal for the furnace, each day we work in silence

There is no rest. Not until the black hand takes me.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Turpitude posted:

Saw a video that was kind of cool recently. A toddler was choking and everyone was trying to do CPR but could not get past the obstruction. The first cop or EMT who showed up said he was divinely inspired to do "reverse CPR" (lol) and SUCKED the obstruction out of the toddler's throat. So always remember goons, if blowing isn't working, give sucking a try!
I'd try Heimlich instead of CPR, personally

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Turpitude posted:

Be careful, seems like a good way to transfer the "choking victim" status from them to you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Turpitude posted:

Surely a Heimlich maneuver, aka "abdominal-targeted chest compressions" would have been more efficient than reverse CPR?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

withak posted:

Be careful, seems like a good way to transfer the "choking victim" status from them to you.

Drop the toddler choking portion, have the choking status pass between a few people like... three times, then add in a bit where it ends up in someone's soup and they keep eating it, and you got yourself a solid comedy routine!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

withak posted:

I had thought of this and it makes me laugh. I'm picturing a very silly monty python sketch

edit: i found the dumb story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxe4T1bKjac
he sucked the cereal out and swallowed it haha nasty

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 30, 2022

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Zero VGS posted:

Surely a Heimlich maneuver, aka "abdominal-targeted chest compressions" would have been more efficient than reverse CPR?

Yes they recommend chest compressions if the person goes down while you are doing the heimlich

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Interesting morning today. Supervised 25 mechanical units getting replaced on a fulfilment center with this old fella.

51 years old and still chugging along. Removing old units and flying new units, with 2 re-fuel breaks, took about 2.5 hours.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Captain Hygiene posted:

That is what I learned last time I did CPR certification. Although, that was also slightly pre-pandemic, I have no idea if recommendations on mouth-to-mouth have evolved since then.

Why would they change in any way?

OSHA does not consider COVID‑19 to be a grave threat to workers.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I got recerted last October and our person trained us in mouth to mouth with a shield but said it's at your discretion and it's better to just do compressions if you're unsure or don't want to do it.

I first got certed with this company in March 2020 about 4 days before lockdowns started and dude was a firefighter and trained us to not do M2M because *waves hands wildly*

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zero VGS posted:

A bit from my military training that came from a high-ranking corpsman: if you need to know if an unconscious soldier can be safely moved, or if they have spinal damage and need to remain in place, just jam your finger up their rear end. If the sphincter don't clamp your finger, you gotta let them linger.

I vaguely remember hearing this and wonder if it was in ROTC.

For anyone thinking this is a good idea, this would only work if the victim's spinal cord is already damaged. The idea is that you're trying to not paralyze someone whose bones are broken but the cord is still intact, not that you're trying to not double-paralyze someone. And you're very possibly going to have to log roll them into a position where you can access their rear end anyway.

So I guess it might work if someone broke their back and the swelling was compressing the cord and they fell face down, but just don't move people unless they're in immediate danger, and if they are in danger do your best but the assumption is they'd rather be in a wheelchair than dead.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
My last recert also strongly downplayed the importance of mouth to mouth and to really only do it if you have a shield otherwise don't risk yourself.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

...how are you doing mouth-to-mouth with a face shield?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Byzantine posted:

They've got a little valve in them.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Byzantine posted:

The little slitted plasticy things you can put over someone's mouth to prevent direct skin/saliva contact, I assume. I forget the exact details, but it's fine because my certification has lapsed by this point anyway

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Byzantine posted:

it's an expensive breathable dental dam that sometimes has a valve in it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Byzantine posted:

Because of the valve?

https://www.redcross.org/store/cpr-...nd-face-shields

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
And before you ask, no it doesn't matter if you give COVID to the victim because they'll die without CPR, otherwise why are you giving them CPR?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I made the mistake of watching video from the crowd crush in South Korea and absolutely do not do this. Hell on earth, 100% now my top way that I do not want to die.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Whenever my kid chokes I pick them up by the ankles and hold them upside down and my wife slaps em on the back till the food they were eating falls out. Seems to work.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I made the mistake of watching video from the crowd crush in South Korea and absolutely do not do this. Hell on earth, 100% now my top way that I do not want to die.

Fire.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No. 2. I guess the Station nightclub disaster was the worst way anyone could go

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

This is down the mountain from where I live, lotta rain this summer mixed with the Gender reveal fire couple years ago and Radford fire about a month ago.

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 31, 2022

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Watching it was pretty goddamn awful for me as well. Hope you're doing okay now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Kibayasu posted:

I think what I heard was if you are trained in CPR you should absolutely still do the 2 breaths but for someone untrained or unwilling to make mouth contact (mostly the latter) then only doing chest compressions still results in some air movement into the lungs and is better then nothing happening. But that could be one of those rumours that spreads because it seems sensible on its surface.

I dunno about people, but in vetmed, a few years back they switched the order from ABC (airway, breathing, compressions) to CAB. The idea being that all the oxygen in the world doesn't help if it's not circulating through the blood. Compressions yeah, do get some air exchange, and also for at least a brief period of time, the blood will have at least *some* oxygen in it, so getting it pumping is better than nothing.

Ultimately cpr has a crazy low success rate though, so you know, don't get caught up in the details.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/27Q7ktb.mp4

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Effective-Disorder posted:

Watching it was pretty goddamn awful for me as well. Hope you're doing okay now.

Gonna take a few days to shake it, I think. Definitely going to be much more wary of big crowds.

Seeing some of the videos people posting of crowds moving with kind of fluid motions when they're packed in enough makes me wonder how it doesn't happen more often at big concerts.

(This video is not an event where anyone got hurt)

https://twitter.com/belugasong/status/1586594000462839814

I think friendly crowd vs. panicked crowd makes an enormous difference

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Kibayasu posted:

I think what I heard was if you are trained in CPR you should absolutely still do the 2 breaths but for someone untrained or unwilling to make mouth contact (mostly the latter) then only doing chest compressions still results in some air movement into the lungs and is better then nothing happening. But that could be one of those rumours that spreads because it seems sensible on its surface.

That's basically true. Compressions simulate heart beating and makes your blood flow with oxygen to your brains and other body parts. Getting more O2 from lungs only helps if it is actually going somewhere.

Finnish standard for non-medics is compressions only until a medic arrives. Next important one is use of guiding defibrillator if the store has one.
Ventilation is the last priority and only if you know what you are doing.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My death metal mosh pit experience does feel like an important survival skill, now that I think about it. Most important etiquette was to stop swinging and help someone up immediately if they are knocked down. Also lifting up semi-conscious people to involuntarily crowdsurf them to safety was a valid medevac method.

For me another thing was to always kinda tip-toe jog in place as you are getting shoved around. No one can see how silly it looks when everyone is packed together, and I can see better, and it keeps me all the way upright with the constant repositioning so I’m not tipped over.

Also one last OSHA pro-tip for moshing: steel-toe boots so people can’t stomp your toes. Also they tend to be more fluid-resistant against spilled drinks or GWAR blood/piss/puke cannons.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 31, 2022

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Groda posted:

What am I looking at here?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7159845109163396395

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PostNouveau posted:

makes me wonder how it doesn't happen more often at big concerts.

I remember reading somewhere that it's all about the density of the crowd and good, busy venues will put up barriers to divide the crowds into smaller groups so they can't all bunch up in one huge group.

Zero VGS posted:

death metal mosh pit experience

I stay on the outside of a mosh pit, but the one OSHA experience I was in was physically blocking a lady from jumping into the "pit" (it was a small show with maybe two dozen people) because she was drunk and had already jumped in numerous times, immediately falling over and smacking her head. Eventually someone dragged her away, I hope she didn't get a concussion from it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Uthor posted:

I remember reading somewhere that it's all about the density of the crowd and good, busy venues will put up barriers to divide the crowds into smaller groups so they can't all bunch up in one huge group.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_surface_effect#Mitigation

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Zero VGS posted:

My death metal mosh pit experience does feel like an important survival skill, now that I think about it.

Lol no. While mosh etiquette is admirable, these things aren't really applicable to these kinds of crowd crushes where the weight of thousands of panicked people is pushing against you and you don't know if that thing you just stepped on was someone's ankle or their throat.

It's not nearly as embarrassing as some dudes who think moshing experience makes them better fighters, but I wouldn't wade into a dense crowd like that expecting it would save my life.

EDIT: yeah, a big part of crowd surge mitigation is separating masses of people. Look at any giant music festival these days and you'll see barriers creating lanes through the crowd - that's not just so FOH can run their cable snakes to the stage, it's also so security can help relieve pressure.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 31, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

Lol no. While mosh etiquette is admirable, these things aren't really applicable to these kinds of crowd crushes where the weight of thousands of panicked people is pushing against you and you don't know if that thing you just stepped on was someone's ankle or their throat.

I read a couple "how to survive a crush" articles and they all said do NOT attempt to pick anyone up because it will just lead to you going down and in all likelihood dying and dragging others down with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

a sexual elk posted:

This is down the mountain from where I live, lotta rain this summer mixed with the Gender reveal fire couple years ago and Radford fire about a month ago.

Seriously? They had a gender reveal fire and then bitch about mudslides?