Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wow I can't believe that took 683 pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Came across this picture

Should be the poster for the Honored Matres TV show one day

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I felt the nu Dune could have done better was emphasize the heat of Arrakis better. I know the planet is so dry that they're not going to get a haze but it still felt like it was a cold desert instead of a cooker.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

kiimo posted:

Came across this picture

It says its IX, what is this fraud.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just finished heretics and wtf herbert you need to hit the hypno bong and stop writing about secret cabals of nun sex workers

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Arc Hammer posted:

One thing I felt the nu Dune could have done better was emphasize the heat of Arrakis better. I know the planet is so dry that they're not going to get a haze but it still felt like it was a cold desert instead of a cooker.

Agreed, 100%. It's great at portraying dry but doesn't do so great at hot.
The opening scene with the harkonnen spice harvesters- that managed it; the whole scene has that weird claustrophic panicked feeling that you get from trying to work in 40 degrees. The rest, not so much

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Is the sequel out already?

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just finished heretics and wtf herbert you need to hit the hypno bong and stop writing about secret cabals of nun sex workers

Kinks within kinks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bubblyblubber posted:

Kinks within kinks.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Aren't deserts by definition subject to extreme temperatures at both ends of the scale? Is it ever mentioned how cold Arrakis gets at night, or near the poles?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiimo posted:

Came across this picture

bless the maker

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

herb need a hypnobong transplant

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Arakeen Niggghhhtts

Like Arakeen Dayyyys

More often than not are hotter than hot

In a lot of good wayyyys *Frank winks

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The wink is a Chakobsa Lid-Speak signal for the Flesh Takers to burst from their hiding places, Killsticks and Dustcapes at the ready

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Mister Speaker posted:

Aren't deserts by definition subject to extreme temperatures at both ends of the scale? Is it ever mentioned how cold Arrakis gets at night, or near the poles?

Remember that almost all of the first 3 books takes place in the Arctic circle of dune.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

If Arrakis were Earth, yes, but there don't seem to be periods of all day sun or night. Arrakis has a small axial tilt, a few degrees at most, so the Arrakeen Acrtic is much closer to the pole.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Arrakis is flat you rubes

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Now I think if you would listen to my "Hollow Arrakis" theory, you'd see the evidence is quite convincing

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The polar worms are covered with white fur and produce cool spice

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Colonel Cancer posted:

WORM LINE
NO WORMS NORTH OF THIS BOUNDARY

WORM LINE?
NO, WORMS NORTH OF THIS BOUNDARY!

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

Colonel Cancer posted:

Menthol spice si best spice

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

You should see the wormwights beyond the wall that were reanimated by the Night King. They produce the water of death which is of course frozen

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

They are, and it is mentioned. The fremen make use of the temperature swings to water plants with plastic/plasteel/magic future materials that condense the moisture at night, and soosoo the dipshit water seller moves water from the frozen pole into Arrakeen.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

kiimo posted:

You should see the wormwights beyond the wall that were reanimated by the Night King. They produce the water of death which is of course frozen

His name was Muaddib and he blew up the wall with atomics :colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Prolonged Panorama posted:

WORM LINE
NO WORMS NORTH OF THIS BOUNDARY

WORM LINE?
NO, WORMS NORTH OF THIS BOUNDARY!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stillsuits seem actually pretty bulky, and I get the feeling they're really good temperature regulators. Well, they'd hafta be.

The movie does have Paul and Jessica travelling almost entirely by night, which seems the sensible way to do things on Arrakis. Most cultures in hot desert areas traditionally rest during the hottest part of the day and get most of the day's work done in mornings and evenings.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

even in the movie, the day/night cycle is a thing. early on it says the harkonens harvest by night, even. The fact atreides crews were doing it out during the day was one of those indicators the atreides were truly out of their element and weakened, to me.

In the books it's way more prominent than that, too, but yeah arrakis cools at night!!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

If it didn't cool down the dew collectors wouldn't work

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If it didn't cool down the dew collectors wouldn't work

Still seems weird though that in the distant future mountain dew is the only thing that's still a recognizable thing.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Greased Croissant or Shortening of the Cake

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Former supermodel Heidi Klum cosplaying as her favorite character from the fourth Dune novel.

https://twitter.com/SinnamonCouture/status/1587307174946082816

https://twitter.com/usatodaylife/status/1587292642815221760

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I’ll excuse myself to the no-chamber

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

She writhes without rhythm.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

wonder how much it cost to put all that together. its an amazing costume

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Wormsign the like nobody's ever seen before

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FMguru posted:

Former supermodel Heidi Klum cosplaying as her favorite character from the fourth Dune novel.

https://twitter.com/SinnamonCouture/status/1587307174946082816

https://twitter.com/usatodaylife/status/1587292642815221760

I think I'm starting to understand why Paul was horrified at the idea of the golden path

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
So when Paul m'Atreides is meeting with Honored Soccer Mom and she says "your mother stands behind that door; no one will get past her'

What if Duncan was like 'sup, hold my spacebeer'?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jessica would own any version of Duncan save for the last few

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

kiimo posted:

Jessica would own any version of Duncan save for the last few

:hmmyes: shame we never got the Drunken Idaho scene from the book