Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Anne Whateley posted:

Holy Donuts has good flavors, but the texture is really hit or miss, and often misses. Next time you're in Portland, check out Hifi Donuts

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I think it's weird you are trying to buy 4 espresso machines? Why would you need that many? I worked in one of the highest volume Starbucks in my area back in 2010 with a metric fuckton of foot traffic as we were right across from a university and we only had two

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
The rest of the space in the building is just gonna be full of busted equipment lmao. Gotta prepare for the second and third locations

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

hallo spacedog posted:

I think it's weird you are trying to buy 4 espresso machines? Why would you need that many? I worked in one of the highest volume Starbucks in my area back in 2010 with a metric fuckton of foot traffic as we were right across from a university and we only had two

Acquiring equipment is easy and fun, he's in the daydreaming stage of planning, and since he doesn't have a business plan, he's buying whatever strikes his fancy without knowing if he actually needs to spend the money and dedicate space for a bunch of this crap

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Acquiring equipment is easy and fun, he's in the daydreaming stage of planning,

this was definitely the best part of starting the biz.

hiring to backfill people who are the sole person in that position currently continues to be the worst part

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Yeah I’ll probably throw half this poo poo out when it’s all said and done but I’ll still have saved like 25k on equipment.

I won’t have four automatic espresso machines on the counter at the same time I’ll have one or two back in case one of the ones in use goes down. I’d like to have at least two on the line for redundancy and then a pile of spare machines for hot swapping.

I can’t think of a cheaper way to be capable of serving as many drinks. If the business takes off I’ll buy all the right stuff but for now I’ll have to make do.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

no, you will not make money in donuts and coffee. close thread

Hold on a second, donuts as a service?

Someone start a SPAC.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tetramin posted:

Yeah mixed espresso drinks are “painfully slow” for a reason. I’m not even a coffee snob but I walk further to get coffee on weekends because the two shops closer to me make watery as poo poo americanos and mochas that just taste like chocolate and milk

People don’t really mind waiting an extra minute or two for a good espresso drink.

E: I guess I’ll just ask this here. I’ve never worked at a coffee shop so I don’t know anything about an espresso. My GF worked in coffee shops for a lot of her life and we’ve been looking at espresso machines for at home. I’ve been leaning towards a more automated one, but have started wondering if that will make disappointing drinks. We just have a tiny kitchen so I less appliances is attractive. Should we say gently caress it and get one with a separate grinder etc? Or are there good all in one things that you can get for a reasonable price to use at home

Think you need to get a separate grinder. Also which drinks do you want?

My mom had a fully automated delonghi for a long time. My dad pulls better shots out of a very basic espresso machine.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
It makes negative economic sense to own a home espresso machine, it's always going to be kind of a toy. With that in mind, my suggestion is to get a setup that provides maximum entertainment: a separate grinder and a very high-touch machine like a La Pavoni.

I don't make home espresso because I live in one of the best cities in the world to just go buy it. If I ever move somewhere else, my white whale setup is a matching Olympia Express grinder and lever machine.

OP, a guy who thinks espresso machines are money printers and the quality is relatively unimportant, is my sworn foe.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

I'm curious where the confidence comes from that you're going to consistently sell 500 espresso drinks a day. There was a coffee shop right in the middle of several government and private business centers that did brisk business and regularly had a line to the door, and I'm not sure they sold that many espresso drinks a day. They also had tea and regular coffee, so they probably did 500 drinks a day total. It was a prime location, in a building connected to three massive office buildings, it took less than two minutes for me to walk from my desk to the counter. Incredibly convenient, and almost always busy. They still struggled, then closed with Covid

The shop is still empty, even though the offices have opened. Covid has changed a few things, like work from home; our union demanded permanent WFH options in our last contract negotiation and won. The only businesses in that center that avoided shutting down were the dollar store and the pizza place. Anyway, I don't see how a suburb with a median income of 41K is going to buy 500 espresso drinks a day, when a popular coffee shop in a convenient, densely-packed, urban business center didn't do numbers like that

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm curious where the confidence comes from that you're going to consistently sell 500 espresso drinks a day. There was a coffee shop right in the middle of several government and private business centers that did brisk business and regularly had a line to the door, and I'm not sure they sold that many espresso drinks a day. They also had tea and regular coffee, so they probably did 500 drinks a day total. It was a prime location, in a building connected to three massive office buildings, it took less than two minutes for me to walk from my desk to the counter. Incredibly convenient, and almost always busy. They still struggled, then closed with Covid

The shop is still empty, even though the offices have opened. Covid has changed a few things, like work from home; our union demanded permanent WFH options in our last contract negotiation and won. The only businesses in that center that avoided shutting down were the dollar store and the pizza place. Anyway, I don't see how a suburb with a median income of 41K is going to buy 500 espresso drinks a day, when a popular coffee shop in a convenient, densely-packed, urban business center didn't do numbers like that
When posts like this don't help, there's nothing to do besides piss in the well. I have to admire OP's confidence, but if he'd just use like 1% of that energy into creating a business plan to see what his projected revenue would need to be, then he'd get some idea of how crazy this plan looks.

Hopefully, OP is familiar with sunk cost fallacy and doesn't justify moving forward based on all the poo poo he's bought already. Best case scenario is that he's been trolling the whole time.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I'm curious where the confidence comes from

Rationale posted:

Maybe I’m not the baddest man alive but I been fuckin his old lady and he knows about it.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
500/day isn’t based on anything I just don’t want people passing by because the line is too long. Better to have and not need.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Alternately, you could spend an order of magnitude less money and get a Bunn/airpot setup.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

500/day isn’t based on anything I just don’t want people passing by because the line is too long. Better to have and not need.

If they "pass by" at all it won't be because the line is too long. It will be because not many people in a town with a median income of $41K have the discretionary income to be spending money on "fancy" coffee and donuts made with the highest grade of bagged mix from the local Sysco truck and if they do it's certainly not going to be frequently.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
When I was a teenager I would sometimes volunteer at my friend's parents coffee shop that they opened. I don't think they ever made any great profit from it, it never got tons of traffic but it did get some. We would have people from around town playing live music on Fridays and things like that. It lasted a good couple of years if I remember correctly and it was a good experience overall, at least for me. I hope it didn't bust their bank account too much.
Anyway OP I am saying that I don't think you will have a revolving door of traffic but I do think it could be a good time.
They also had connections with the local church to get foot traffic and they had an expert in construction work to set up some stuff, and my mother who was an artist did some of the painting (I believe for free).
None of this was probably useful but it was a nice trip down memory lane!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Who would have thought that 20 years after spending $10 to stop sharing a Something Awful account, I'd be posting in a thread about a (probably) doomed coffee shop in Ohio.

I wonder what high school me would think of me now.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

Better to not have spent money and effort on something you don't need imo. I'm absolutely in love with your lack of a business plan, though. I worked for a guy who told me with a straight face once that he doesn't need to plan because the universe is too chaotic. That bakery went out of business about two years after I was let go, because the cult he was part of stopped loaning him money. (I was let go in part to pay for a barista who attended the cult's yoga classes)

My dad asked me at one point if it was a front for the cult to launder money, but the owner was just a scumbag who was bad at business

Edit: food service is loving bonkers, and working for idiot psychos is par for the course

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 30, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Residency Evil posted:

I wonder what high school me would think of me now.

“Man I’m ashamed of my white noise posts”

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
My business plan is written here in real time with live input like the price is right and 1/6 of those people make a killing

E: really more if you consider the people that make the show

Rationale fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 30, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Do you know if they have any lovely equipment they’re willing to sell?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Acquiring equipment is easy and fun, he's in the daydreaming stage of planning, and since he doesn't have a business plan, he's buying whatever strikes his fancy without knowing if he actually needs to spend the money and dedicate space for a bunch of this crap

This is what I coined "Bluesky Freestyling"

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Rationale posted:

My business plan is written here in real time with live input like the price is right and 1/6 of those people make a killing

E: really more if you consider the people that make the show

There's actually 10 players in a game of The Price is Right, counting the new player that comes down after someone plays a pricing game.

You're the dude who gets called down last, promptly bids $1 on a $450 espresso machine, then gets beaten by Sandra, a Mormon Stay at home mother of 5 who can't even drink coffee.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

My business plan is written here in real time with live input

I don't understand why you're so against making a business plan like an adult who wants to succeed, and why you're so determined to Feed Off This poo poo instead

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many of those coffee shacks have typed up spreadsheet business plans.

Also Cresent Donut does well in a town of 80,000 with average household income 41k

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I don't understand why you're so against making a business plan like an adult who wants to succeed, and why you're so determined to Feed Off This poo poo instead

Good chance it’s a troll.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Blah blah blah business plan blah blah business plan just write it for me drat

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

Do your own work

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rationale posted:

I considered it to shut them up, but I never wrote up my own so meh

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

CarForumPoster posted:

“Man I’m ashamed of my white noise posts”

You're right he would be v proud.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Do your own work

A business plan is a sort of bougie prayer to ensure that someone’s labor is exploited

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know bougie has been coopted, but it is funny from an aspiring kulak

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

^^ lol^^

Rationale posted:

A business plan is a sort of bougie prayer to ensure that someone’s labor is exploited

You don't even know what a business plan is, hush your mush and do some real research and planning. You're the dumbest troll

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rationale posted:

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this site and I'm a terrible baby brained white noise idiot so congrats I guess

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I googled business plan again and it all slid right off my buttery smooth brain again

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rationale posted:

Man who has made exactly one batch of donuts in a backyard and has no business plan or willingness to take advice: Yeah, I think the biggest problem I'll be facing is what if the shop is too busy and successful

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.sba.gov/business-guide/plan-your-business/write-your-business-plan

You really don't need to write the whole thing up. You should at least go through their elements and check that you've got them all. Like what sort of entity (llc etc). You should also estimate the cost of materials per donut, and the cost of labor per donut, and your overhead, to help you understand if a particular price/volume will be profitable or not

E. You can also see if there's a sbdc near you and get a meeting or take a class. I think it's mostly free

Epitope fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 30, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I feel like op is trolling us now and has a full business plan and everything ready to go. At least I hope that's the case

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
No I’m literally gonna buy up liquidation auctions til I feel like I have something and then apply for a permit.

Borat voice my wife has a PhD in engineering psychology and worked fast food in the day

There’s 350 high school kids of driving age two miles away all day

The location is on the back way between two small cities

The location is the most convenient coffee and donut drive-through for miles around

Donuts can be sold above and beyond the building where they’re made

Donut truck, leased front with a thermoglazer, special delivery hotline, subscription service, wholesale, display cases inside other businesses-donuts have growth potential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I wanna believe in you OP, but you scare me every time you start mentioning things like second locations and food trucks while being like 0.5% of the way to a first successful e: functioning location

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 31, 2022