Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The ones who stay are probably going to quickly envy the ones who were fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The prevailing emotion will be one of nostalgia for those fired, combined with a spirit of bold curiosity for the adventure ahead!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"the living will envy the dead" is a hosed up pronouncement so I'm sure it will end up being the case

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Elon Musk’s planned Twitter layoffs are imminent

Some of the greatest hits:

quote:

Layoffs are expected to be broad, according to three people familiar with the discussions, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe private matters. One of the first targets is likely to be legal, trust, and safety, the organization that sets policy and oversees content moderation, one of the people said. Managers in information security and privacy also were among those drawing up lists Saturday of people to lay off, said a fourth person who spoke under the same conditions.

Two of the people said that layoffs were likely to happen before Tuesday, Nov. 1, when employees are set to receive stock grants, cutting them off from compensation they had expected to receive.

The Washington Post previously reported that Musk planned to cut nearly 75 percent of the workforce of 7,500. One of the people familiar with the discussions said this week the cuts would be closer to 50 percent.
Musk has a reputation as a fierce manager who is quick to replace underperformers and given at times to “rage firings.” But he also is revered for a unique ability to attract talent to companies engaged in potentially world-changing missions around climate change and space exploration, among others.
In a highly unusual arrangement, engineers from Tesla were examining Twitter’s code as Musk sought input from technical experts he trusted. Musk attorney Alex Spiro was directing some aspects of the transition, including overseeing the company’s lobbyists, some of whom were told to stop holding events and sending letters to Capitol Hill.
As part of that process, some Twitter engineers received a calendar invite Friday telling them to “stop printing, please be ready to show your recent code” written in the last 30 to 60 days on their computers. The note continued: “Please come prepared with code as a backup to review on your own machines with Elon.” Later, people inside the company reported that Tesla engineers were in fact reviewing the code.

One former Tesla engineer who was not part of the action at Twitter said Tesla engineers would have trouble capably assessing Twitter’s code. Distributed systems, the large-scale and spread-out network that Twitter is composed of, are not the automaker’s specialty, said the person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The “idea of Elon being flanked by his Tesla engineers reviewing Twitter code is laughable,” the person said.
Italics mine. Why, yes, do lay off the people who specialize in keeping the goddamn site from being hacked. Enjoy it. Furthermore, as said upthread, you know who leaves first at the threat of layoffs or significant job changes? The people who don't have to worry about getting another job. AKA the people you can't afford to lose. And in this case, nobody who's dedicated to the mission is going to stay in the light of management with contempt for the mission.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol at the idea Tesla engineers are inherently better, just because they're already Elon's people

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Thanks Ants posted:

lol at the idea Tesla engineers are inherently better, just because they're already Elon's people

Twitters inferior engineers have not driven a single person into the back of a fire truck.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Italics mine. Why, yes, do lay off the people who specialize in keeping the goddamn site from being hacked. Enjoy it. Furthermore, as said upthread, you know who leaves first at the threat of layoffs or significant job changes? The people who don't have to worry about getting another job. AKA the people you can't afford to lose. And in this case, nobody who's dedicated to the mission is going to stay in the light of management with contempt for the mission.

But people will be clamoring to work for THE Elon Reeve Musk, and so would never leave a job under him unless forced!

I think the thing that gets me is that he specified he wanted print-outs. That screams "I want to see big thick stacks of paper so I can feel like I do big-boy work", rather than just tracking commits into the source control.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

The idea is not that they’re better but that they’re trusted. But as the ex twitter guy notes, lol at getting car coders to review Twitter code.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Neito posted:

But people will be clamoring to work for THE Elon Reeve Musk, and so would never leave a job under him unless forced!

I think the thing that gets me is that he specified he wanted print-outs. That screams "I want to see big thick stacks of paper so I can feel like I do big-boy work", rather than just tracking commits into the source control.

We’re going to find out that’s how Tesla does any code review

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i love the idea of people lining up to work at twitter because of musk. im sure the best and brightest are just lining up to work for a dubiously-profitable social media company staffed by a mercurial ceo who just fired half his staff and saddled the company with 300 million more in debt than its annual revenue. that's totally comparable to actually significant technologies like electric cars and rockets where there was previously zero private sector competition

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What's the social media equivalent of making a car that burns you to death or gleefully runs into pedestrians?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's the social media equivalent of making a car that burns you to death or gleefully runs into pedestrians?

the algorithm feeding everyone reactionary bullshit and leading to the end of democracy.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

tumblr

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arivia posted:

the algorithm feeding everyone reactionary bullshit and leading to the end of democracy.

Oh, so they should feel right at home, then.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

i'm confused; this just seems to be a direct path to destroying Twitter as quickly as possible? Which, lol and lmao. But you can't do normal brick & mortar vulture capitalism, and creating an insane toxic environment by firing a shitload of your company and micromanaging the ones left using people who don't know their product seems like a questionable way to try and maintain your enormous social media service, let alone retain/attract better talent?

like how would you gently caress up a tech company worse other than flat out dissolving the company and turning off the servers?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

idiotsavant posted:

i'm confused; this just seems to be a direct path to destroying Twitter as quickly as possible? Which, lol and lmao. But you can't do normal brick & mortar vulture capitalism, and creating an insane toxic environment by firing a shitload of your company and micromanaging the ones left using people who don't know their product seems like a questionable way to try and maintain your enormous social media service, let alone retain/attract better talent?

like how would you gently caress up a tech company worse other than flat out dissolving the company and turning off the servers?

Owners of companies do incredibly dumb and self destructive poo poo all the time, this is par for the course.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Every social media company since the death of Myspace, but normally it works anyway because the advertisers are the customers and the people they’re killing are just the product.

This is more like setting fire to your own factories.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reminder: When you use a "free" service you are not the customer, you are the product.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You are always the product, paid service or not.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

withak posted:

Reminder: When you use a "free" service you are not the customer, you are the product.

Note that this doesn't really apply to FOSS stuff, or stuff backed by non-profits. You're not a product when you use Wikipedia or Blender, for example. I'm not trying to be pedantic; I just think it's worth pointing out that there are alternatives to "pay or be the product".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
No, you are not "the product". Access to you and to information collected about you is the product.

VikingofRock posted:

Note that this doesn't really apply to FOSS stuff, or stuff backed by non-profits. You're not a product when you use Wikipedia or Blender, for example. I'm not trying to be pedantic; I just think it's worth pointing out that there are alternatives to "pay or be the product".

When it's FOSS you're an unpaid QA tester and/or dev.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There is always more, and it is always worse.

https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1586883942870749185

quote:

The directive is to change Twitter Blue, the company’s optional, $4.99 a month subscription that unlocks additional features, into a more expensive subscription that also verifies users, according to people familiar with the matter and internal correspondence seen by The Verge. Twitter is planning to charge $19.99 for the new Twitter Blue subscription, though that price is subject to change. Employees working on the project were told on Sunday that they need to meet a deadline of November 7th to launch the feature or they will be fired.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:stare:

That's not the kind of dev I do but it sounds completely off the wall to me to try and push a user-facing change like this in about a week. And with monetization on the line?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Imagine seeing that and not laughing. Hell, I don't even work there and I'm laughing.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
elon overpaid for twitter and now he wants everyone else to overpay too

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's not the kind of dev I do but it sounds completely off the wall to me to try and push a user-facing change like this in about a week. And with monetization on the line?
Guessing that Musk has no belief that it's going to actually work/exist on that timescale and that it's a scheme to try to claim that people were fired for poor performance. Then Twitter doesn't have to pay any previously agreed severance or unemployment insurance tax increases. That won't work, but fired employees are going to have to sue to get what they're owed

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

OctaMurk posted:

elon overpaid for twitter and now he wants everyone else to overpay too

It's this, now that Elon owns Twitter he has to do what previous Twitter executives have only barely scratched the surface on, making the website profitable.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Foxfire_ posted:

Guessing that Musk has no belief that it's going to actually work/exist on that timescale and that it's a scheme to try to claim that people were fired for poor performance. Then Twitter doesn't have to pay any previously agreed severance or unemployment insurance tax increases. That won't work, but fired employees are going to have to sue to get what they're owed

And they will and they will win because it's CA

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

You're definitely the product when you use Wikipedia. Just like any social media platform, it functions by monetizing the content provided for free by random unpaid users, overseen by a small army of unpaid admins.

They monetize via donation-begging instead of ads, but they're still monetizing the work of random unpaid users.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Musk is definitely of the "just add a button, how hard could it possibly be" school of tech company leadership.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
lol if musk manages to provoke a class-action wrongful termination lawsuit within a week of owning twitter

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

$20 for a blue checkmark is still cheaper than an account, custom title, and plat on the forums. :haw:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

idiotsavant posted:

lol if musk manages to provoke a class-action wrongful termination lawsuit within a week of owning twitter

:pray:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

$20 for a blue checkmark is still cheaper than an account, custom title, and plat on the forums. :haw:

Not per month

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Per month though?

e: heh snap

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

idiotsavant posted:

Get ready to hold your sides!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Riven posted:

Not per month

For some goons it is a weekly expense. :haw:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Riven posted:

Not per month

I thought the $20 was one time, and that the ongoing sub was separate.

Not gonna lie, i hope musk increases the amount so you can really see who the haves and the have nots are in the Twitter class war

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 31, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Main Paineframe posted:

You're definitely the product when you use Wikipedia. Just like any social media platform, it functions by monetizing the content provided for free by random unpaid users, overseen by a small army of unpaid admins.

They monetize via donation-begging instead of ads, but they're still monetizing the work of random unpaid users.

"Wikipedia is a social media platform" and "registered non-profits are actually for-profit" are definitely takes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

withak posted:

so how does this apply to SA? especially those that havent paid SA in years ?

is that one buttcoin lord that got a perma, a SA whale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This only applies to "services" that make money for someone.