Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm okay with throwing away my bottle of water and having to slip through barefoot, but making me discard my sledgehammer is bullshit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

CarForumPoster posted:

Interesting! What do they do? Why doesnt the company have a go bag of high quality tools? Too much/heavy to pack in overhead and too urgent for checked bags?

EDIT: Thought your buddy was the tech, theyre the owner and selling off the tools.

TSA loves to steal tools under the guise of "safety". I've had TSA-approved multitools stolen from bags and at check-in.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I'm visiting a friend in the US and have bought some random smallish tools that are strangely expensive or plain nonexistent in Europe, so I'll see what the TSA has to say about them in my checked luggage. I think none of them should look too threatening on an X-ray, maybe the air-hammer balljoint separator fork is a bit sus.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I literally brought a chef's cleaver through checked luggage. They certainly will not care about a ball joint separator.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Checked baggage is no problem as long as it's not grotesquely oversize in some metric or cause a hazard to the aircraft (exploding batteries for example) which is probably the concern with cordless tools.

Firearms and such are regularly checked in no problem so they are not going to give a manual tool any kind of second glance.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Any tips or ideas for picking out and organizing a relatively complete basic mechanics tool set that would fit in one 20" box with 3 drawers?

I'm going on vacation next week and plan to fix the motorcycle I've let sit for two years. I also want to audit, clean, replace and organize my hand tools.

Everything I have is currently in an old and rusted 21" steel box from harbor freight, and it's basically:

In the bottom:
Combination wrenches in a roll bag.
Pliers and screw drivers in another roll bag.
Larger wrenches, multi meter, mallet etc that won't fit in the roll bags lying loose in the bottom.
Socket set rails.

In the top tray:
Socket wrenches. Allan wrenches an in theory whatever sockets or tools I'm actively using.

It's time for a new box but I'm also not happy with this set up. In particular the sockets always seem to fall out of the rails and the tray ends up cluttered. So what sort of happens is I take the tray out, take the two bags out, and then have a final layer that's a few large tools inconveniently intertwined with loose sockets lost between them

So, I'm thinking of getting a box of similar width and depth but with pull out drawers. Also, is there any neat hand tool I may not have heard of? My set up is very basic, though I do have one of those adjustable vice wrenches thanks to this forum.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I literally brought a chef's cleaver through checked luggage. They certainly will not care about a ball joint separator.

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned. Nothing is dangerous on its own (it's mostly a bunch of impact swivel sockets), and it should be pretty clear they don't have any hazardous hidden features.
I have certainly had my luggage filled with weirder-looking metal stuff before (like vacuum servo, wiper/indicator stalks and pedals to put cruise control in my NB Miata) and they've looked through the checked-in bag but nothing has gone missing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ionn posted:

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned. Nothing is dangerous on its own (it's mostly a bunch of impact swivel sockets), and it should be pretty clear they don't have any hazardous hidden features.
I have certainly had my luggage filled with weirder-looking metal stuff before (like vacuum servo, wiper/indicator stalks and pedals to put cruise control in my NB Miata) and they've looked through the checked-in bag but nothing has gone missing.

Checked bags are fine, they might steal poo poo, but they don't confiscate things other than safety issues (compressed gases, lithium batteries, Mercury or gallium or strong magnets, or flammables). I used to fly with a carry on filled with tools, cables, batteries, monitors, and all sorts of crazy poo poo. I'd keep a laminated packing list and copy of the TSA rules on top. They'd usually argue about poo poo and I'd just escalate it to the shift super. I got to know a few of them at Logan.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

sharkytm posted:

Checked bags are fine, they might steal poo poo, but they don't confiscate things other than safety issues (compressed gases, lithium batteries, Mercury or gallium or strong magnets, or flammables). I used to fly with a carry on filled with tools, cables, batteries, monitors, and all sorts of crazy poo poo. I'd keep a laminated packing list and copy of the TSA rules on top. They'd usually argue about poo poo and I'd just escalate it to the shift super. I got to know a few of them at Logan.

So I can get away with a cordless recip saw in my carry on right?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
lol Logan had an absolute shitfit when I was flying back home from NEFR with a 1980s handheld amateur radio.
So far they're the only airport I've had that kind of issue with.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

therobit posted:

I literally flew from Logan to Denver with a cordless sawzall in my checked bag, actually. Make sure your battery complies with the rules size wise (I think it's 100Wh limit but it's been years) and it's inserted in the tool WITH NO BLADE ON IT and the trigger lock engaged. Any loose batteries are required to be in your carry on instead of checked. This is more of a risk blowing poo poo up wise (a lithium battery that big is a pretty nice firebomb if you wanted it to be, and sometimes if you don't want it to be) but the point is that someone can get an extinguisher on it if it rattles around into something and shorts out and starts a fire. Not possible in the cargo hold.

Print out the official TSA page on the subject for each bag you'll have batteries and tools in and highlight the sections that apply to that bag. Put it in the bag.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

therobit posted:

Yup. No blade, as kastein said. No spare batteries allowed.

cursedshitbox posted:

lol Logan had an absolute shitfit when I was flying back home from NEFR with a 1980s handheld amateur radio.
So far they're the only airport I've had that kind of issue with.

They're a special kind of awful.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

therobit posted:

I'd think they want you to put that in checked luggage, not a carry on. Then again, I don't make a habit of flying with tools.

At least not since I got my network cable crimpers confiscated.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I once flew eight segments to New Zealand with a satphone in my carry on. Reactions went from not batting an eye to being pulled aside, asked what the heck that thing was, and made to promise I wouldn’t turn it on mid-flight and being told that the pilot would be informed it was on board.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cat Hatter posted:

I'd think they want you to put that in checked luggage, not a carry on. Then again, I don't make a habit of flying with tools.

At least not since I got my network cable crimpers confiscated.

Yea I know but it was kind of a joke.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I fairly regularly fly with batteries in my carryon; I check the tools and carry the batteries. So far nobody has batted an eye.

I did once get into an argument with TSA about whether my safety razor could be in carryon; I even had a copy of the rules on me. I might have kept arguing longer but I had a flight home to catch. Since then I always make sure to carry blades away from the razor - I’ve noticed the razor handle getting inspected but never the pack of blades :iiam:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

I fairly regularly fly with batteries in my carryon; I check the tools and carry the batteries. So far nobody has batted an eye.

I did once get into an argument with TSA about whether my safety razor could be in carryon; I even had a copy of the rules on me. I might have kept arguing longer but I had a flight home to catch. Since then I always make sure to carry blades away from the razor - I’ve noticed the razor handle getting inspected but never the pack of blades :iiam:

I used to go an hour earlier than normal (so, 3 hours before departure) if I was flying with tools or weird poo poo. 4 if it was ITAR goods that I needed to run through CBP, but they usually have their poo poo together.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

therobit posted:

Yea I know but it was kind of a joke.

I was pretty sure you were, but there was already some confusion about checked vs carry on luggage and sometimes I like to over clarify a joke for the benefit of any lurkers trying to learn something.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

Checked bags are fine, they might steal poo poo

The only things more expensive than a couple bucks are those impact wobble sockets (and even those are cheap Harbor Freight ones), and if they were to yoink those I hope they get eternally confused because it's all metric.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Somehow only the 10mm sockets will be missing.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

What are you folks using for carb tuning?

I'm a dumbass a bought a car with carbs('69 MB 250), which sat for some time and needs to be tuned up. You know what that means - TOOLS

The last time I had a car with carbs I worked at a shop that had all the tools and the owner knew how to use them in his sleep. So I am working off vague recollections, but I also don't have any of those tools any more. The big thing I'm missing now is an exhaust sniffer, we had an old smog machine we used for that but I don't have room for a whole machine nor do I want to spend enough to get an old one that isn't a project of its own.

I think I've narrowed it to two options, but I am also open to suggestions.

1.) Small home-gamer style gas analyzer like this. Price is decent, it looks a little chintzy to my eyes and reviews suggest it's fussy but functional. There's also this Heathkit one that's well-regarded but not made any more so I'm rolling the dice on a used one.

2.) Cheap AFR rig, either with a kit like this or just pulling an O2 sensor from a junkyard car and hooking it up to a meter. I don't think I'd try to permanently install this, just rig it so I can stick the sensor in the tailpipe and hook up some alligator clips and see the numbers while I dick with the mixture screws.

3.) ???

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've never used anything at that end. I assume you need to pass an emissions test or something when you register it?

I use a tachometer and a vacuum gauge.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I guess think like an efi system? Make sure you can tell if you are lean or rich under any given airflow condition and then make sure you can replicate those conditions. Not real scientific but I’ve tried fixed rpm runs at using a flat stretch of road and a hill as different loads. Combined with pulling a plug to check mixture after. Nowadays I think I’d do the same but use a wideband and note mixture in different conditions and try to bring that back to what carb circuit I was in. Maybe via a welded in bung that I plug when it still not hooked up?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Commodore_64 posted:

I guess think like an efi system? Make sure you can tell if you are lean or rich under any given airflow condition and then make sure you can replicate those conditions. Not real scientific but I’ve tried fixed rpm runs at using a flat stretch of road and a hill as different loads. Combined with pulling a plug to check mixture after. Nowadays I think I’d do the same but use a wideband and note mixture in different conditions and try to bring that back to what carb circuit I was in. Maybe via a welded in bung that I plug when it still not hooked up?

This. A lot of the vintage race cars I've come across have wideband O2 sensors, it's always good to have solid data to work with.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have an Innovate MTX-L wideband in my 85 Scirocco. It makes tuning a breeze. Some people will hide the gauge in their car, or put it in the glovebox. Mine is below my radio in the center console.

My car is CIS (mechanical fuel injection) and has lambda control, so I have a narrowband simulated output going to the stock 1-wire oxygen sensor input.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
my dremel died so i picked up the new ryobi cordless one with swappable lil batteries and it's pretty great.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
I've got an odd one here, and maybe one of you wrenchbenders can help? I'm looking for a 15mm x 18mm box wrench, yeah that's a weird as hell combo but that's what Bafang used for this e-bike on the front & rear axle nuts. It'd be real nice to just need one wrench in the roadside tube/tire repair kit, and there isn't really room to get an open spanner or crescent wrench on the front nuts without chewing up the fork, either.

The closest thing I've found so far are these sweet https://runwell.jp/product/ wrenches, but nearest size seems to be 10 x 15, or the usual 14 x 15, etc.

Please tell me matco or snapon or anyone at all sells, or used to sell one? Otherwise I guess it's making a handle for a pair of turned down sockets and firing up the brazing setup, or trying to mill one out of 17-4 or 4140 or something on some rainy day.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Get two box ends, drill a hole through the side opposite the box end you want, and connect them with a swivel?

It's an odd combo to find in one wrench.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Lathespin.gif posted:

I've got an odd one here, and maybe one of you wrenchbenders can help? I'm looking for a 15mm x 18mm box wrench, yeah that's a weird as hell combo but that's what Bafang used for this e-bike on the front & rear axle nuts. It'd be real nice to just need one wrench in the roadside tube/tire repair kit, and there isn't really room to get an open spanner or crescent wrench on the front nuts without chewing up the fork, either.

The closest thing I've found so far are these sweet https://runwell.jp/product/ wrenches, but nearest size seems to be 10 x 15, or the usual 14 x 15, etc.

Please tell me matco or snapon or anyone at all sells, or used to sell one? Otherwise I guess it's making a handle for a pair of turned down sockets and firing up the brazing setup, or trying to mill one out of 17-4 or 4140 or something on some rainy day.

I would look for wrenches designed specifically for axle nuts. Dirt bikes tend to go down to 17mm as the smallest though so most will be like 17/22.

If you have to carry two, Asahi makes some very small, very light wrenches.

Doesn’t include 15, but just for example https://www.ebay.com/itm/303811032595

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
What about a couple crows feet open ends with a compact ratchet? I just saw that Tekton has flare nut crows feet listed as coming soon as well

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Harbor freight.
Get the 15/18 wrenches like you need. cut the open end off. weld the two box ends together. done.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
or get a knipex pliers wrench. Although I guess it might be a little harder to loosen the drive side rear axle nut.

i think harbor freight has a knockoff now.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 30, 2022

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If leverage isn't a huge issue I'd just cut two wrenches in half. Hook em up with a carabiner.

Also I'm sure I've said it before but the moment you have an issue and look at a wrench and say "you know if I just cut this end off it would fit and I'd be done" is a fantastic feeling. Very liberating to break your own tools to get a job done for some reason.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

cursedshitbox posted:

Harbor freight.
Get the 15/18 wrenches like you need. cut the open end off. weld the two box ends together. done.

Seconding this.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

cursedshitbox posted:

Harbor freight.

Me reading this: what the gently caress kind of deranged lunatic makes wrenches for 18ths of an inch??? Oh

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

Me reading this: what the gently caress kind of deranged lunatic makes wrenches for 18ths of an inch??? Oh

You didn't have any 5/6" nuts at your place? Weird.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Lathespin.gif posted:

I got this crows foot one in 17-19 for my ebike from aliexpress, it is actually quite a nice wrench. I think I was confused about the nut size in the end though and I it came out to be 3 or more different sizes between front and back. Not sure if it's an issue for you but might be a cable going into the axle which is why I got crow's foot instead of a ring. Good luck finding 15-18 though, seems uncommon.

You could try a set like this for compactness

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

$4 from AliExpress

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

everdave posted:

$4 from AliExpress

And only worth 1/4 of that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

Harbor freight.

Homemade / modified tools are great! Here's a tap wrench I made today because the one I had wasn't big enough.

If you want, I can make you a 15/18 wrench for the cost of the wrenches + postage.