Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

:doit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

breaking: twitter planning to add $5/month subscriptions service. subscribe to our $10/month news network to read more.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Please let this be true

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

Please let this be true

lol only 5 bucks to join King Elon's twitter?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

lol only 5 bucks to join King Elon's twitter?

It’s not even that, it’s to get a blue checkmark

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

$5 a month to keep the blue checkmark.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
You could totally make bank charging $20 each time to let people say slurs.

You could even criticize Elon for $1000 a pop.

A good plan on a good platform.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Butcher posted:

I think Elon owns the platform now

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The Butcher posted:

Somethingawful once again decades ahead of the competition :10bux::10bux:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Your gonna have to pay $15 a month for an exclusive black star. Which gives you entrance to whites only twitter

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Squibbles posted:

Somethingawful once again decades ahead of the competition :10bux::10bux:

yup

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

I’ve honestly never understood why it was free in the first place. It had to cost something to administer and the people with one sure seem to think it has value.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Crow Buddy posted:

I’ve honestly never understood why it was free in the first place. It had to cost something to administer and the people with one sure seem to think it has value.

OJ finally gonna get his blue check

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Crow Buddy posted:

Famous people attract more users to the platform.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

OJ finally gonna get his blue check

lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Crow Buddy posted:

I think it was meant to be a way of controlling the false accounts pretending to be famous people so they wouldn't get sued. For a while it just turned into a thing twitter execs would reward their friends with.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

goatface posted:

I think it was meant to be a way of controlling the false accounts pretending to be famous people so they wouldn't get sued. For a while it just turned into a thing twitter execs would reward their friends with.

nice try Jack

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Which gives you entrance to whites only twitter

But Gab and/or Parler are already free

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

twitter was run so terribly before i wouldn't be surprised if musk's toddler level ideas of firing half the staff and charging influencers $5/month actually does turn the company profitable without really affecting the service at all, given that a monkey with a dartboard would do a better job at running a social media company than the executives at twitter or facebook

his biggest challenge isn't finding a revenue model that works, it's keeping his goddamn mouth shut, a challenge i doubt he will ever overcome

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

twitter was run so terribly before i wouldn't be surprised if musk's toddler level ideas of firing half the staff and charging influencers $5/month actually does turn the company profitable without really affecting the service at all, given that a monkey with a dartboard would do a better job at running a social media company than the executives at twitter or facebook

his biggest challenge isn't finding a revenue model that works, it's keeping his goddamn mouth shut, a challenge i doubt he will ever overcome

I don't think twitter made a profit before. It for sure isn't with Elon at the helm

Mumpy Puffinz fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 31, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bad Purchase posted:

the man overpaid by like 50% because he got mad on the internet and/or high on various substances

I feel reasonably confident in stating that he has the heart of a true poster and will under no circumstances stop posting

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 31, 2022

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the man overpaid by like 80% because he got mad on the internet and/or high on various substances

I feel reasonably confident in stating that he has the heart of a true poster and will under no circumstances stop posting

he bought the company so he could continue posting

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just the best people.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I always trust joe rogan. he is a very smart person

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

CharlestheHammer posted:

I bet he introduces a gold check mark for another $10 per month.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cheesus posted:

Oh come on, it's going to at least $15 per month

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

goatface posted:

Elon will get a gold tick, and some other key accounts who represent the most important voices of our times will get a silver one. Gold can only be reported by gold, silver by silver or gold etc.

Like god intended.

Still betting on this.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

goatface posted:

Elon will get a gold tick, and some other key accounts who represent the most important voices of our times will get a silver one. Gold can only be reported by gold, silver by silver or gold etc.

Like god intended.

My God, twitter with become MeowMeow Beans.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

I've never seen him look the same in two pictures. There's always at least one difference like one of those Highlights picture puzzles.

A Goofus who thinks he is a Gallant.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ilmucche posted:

Please let this be true

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1586883874122264576

NOPE but the fairy gave you a better gift.

Blue checks arent meant to be status symbols. They’re supposed to be a guarantee that the person is A REAL PERSON. THATS THE POINT This kills the site and thus 90% of the entire point of using the site at all

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 31, 2022

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
lmao so good, such good decisions

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1586883874122264576

NOPE but the fairy gave you a better gift.

Blue checks arent meant to be status symbols. They’re supposed to be a guarantee that the person is A REAL PERSON. THATS THE POINT This kills the site and thus 90% of the entire point of using the site at all

with a $20 per month subscription

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I think I will just keep posting for free, and as they slowly move towards freemium, will stop posting

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Look, Elon is going to get his money back one way or another

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

with a $20 per month subscription

If I pay $30 a month will they let me blue-checkmark as any name I like?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Waffle House posted:

I think I will just keep posting for free, and as they slowly move towards freemium, will stop posting

you can keep posting here buddy. Lowtax is dead and it is free

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

If I pay $30 a month will they let me blue-checkmark as any name I like?

what am I? A doctor? How should I know?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I can assure you that blue checks being meaningless isn't the thing that's going to kill Twitter.

Because they always have been meaningless to most people using the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wonder if mastodon is seeing much uptake from this

it's basically open source twitter with decentralized communities that can interact and follow each other, but with the option for each community to block other communities. i barely ever look at it, but have a few friends who migrated there over the years and have good things to say about it. the upsides are no ads and moderation by each community rather than one monolithic organization. downside is that it doesn't have that many users so if you're trying to sell something or build a brand you should probably stick to twitter (for now, maybe not for long)