Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

I mean people already call the fruit puree sticking to the side of the glass after drinking smoothie sours "fruit lacing", so why not?

At that point wouldn't it make more sense to just add a shot of vodka to a booster juice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

McGavin posted:

At that point wouldn't it make more sense to just add a shot of vodka to a booster juice?

I 100% agree but, unfortunately, smoothie seltzers are now a thing so...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elviscat posted:

My boss's boss's boss (boss and his boss are in a straight line org wise) is like this, she can see us working through the window at her desk, and had been present while we're doing some of the most vital possible work for the company's future, but she's never once said hi to me or any of my techs, never once introduced herself. I've met and chatted with her boss (a VP) multiple times, he always says hi, greets me by name, gives me a fist bump, and usually greets a couple of my techs by name. I'm one of like 15 supervisors that work for her, and I guarantee she doesn't know my name,

The director of my first lab job, at the annual holiday party, stood up and made some bullshit rear end disco to try and recognize the labworkers, as we generated literally all the value for today place.

The first person he called to recognize as a "new lab worker who he's excited to be on the team" was the guy who had been working there for 5+ years, and who they exploited the gently caress out of cause he had no friends or support network so he would just go into work when he was bored. And they never paid him OT.

100% gently caress that guy, I poo poo talk him to anyone who I can.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

What the gently caress? I actively avoid any overtime and I sure as poo poo wouldn’t do it for free.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Fruit salad summer shandy?

Ngl that doesn't sound too bad, but I'm hazy pale ale liking trash.

Breetai posted:

My reticence towards making it a meeting stems from the fact that when stressed during meetings, including leadership forums, my boss starts ugly crying uncontrollably.

Lol, that's a bonus. Making your boss ugly cry in the exit interview is something you put on future resumes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh man white collar employees who sneer at the blue collar employees who generate all of the product/profit are the worst. We had one who had never worked a shift and was proud of having not set foot in one of those locations for years, as this person was paid six figures to administer Myers-Briggs tests to management.

This has been driving me nuts lately. When your company relies on shipping completed products there should be an understanding by the people like me who don't produce anything but emails on what happens on the shop floor. Or at our vendors. There's just so much complexity to producing parts and I've had to sit in calls with program managers that didn't understand the idea that there could be scrapped parts, like the entire first round of production would be perfect and I had to explain some of our vendors prided themselves on having a scrap rate of *just* 20% on parts they had produced for years. It's not just upper level managers, unfortunately. The vendors I cover have told me I'm the first buyer they've had in a while that actually appears to understand their side and doesn't just demand faster/better production without assistance or direction. The level of illiteracy on how our money is made at this company is the most extreme I've ever seen, and I don't know how to make it better at my level.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Perhaps we could learn something from the Russian defenstration model of managing mis-management.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Explaining acceptable losses can be so difficult sometimes. So many people assume 500 liters of wort means 500 liters of finished beer.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Explaining acceptable losses can be so difficult sometimes. So many people assume 500 liters of wort means 500 liters of finished beer.

God, this was SUCH a problem at the place in Denmark. The boss didn't understand that beer is lost to yeast, other trub, and minor losses in the lines, and would promise like 100% efficiency on anything going out to a distributor. The worst was when our biggest contract brewer had a giant (like 100+ barrels of two beers) order and my boss only planned for the smallest number of batches he could, and ultimately pissed off the Swedish Systembolaget because of having to keep redoing the schedule.

No wait, the worst was when he went on vacation to Italy for three weeks, and completely forgot to tell me about four different batches I had to brew for our biggest local distributor, meaning that when they showed up expecting a pallet of bottles to be ready for them I was just there like "uh, what?"

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Takes No Damage posted:

etc...

You guys think you're being funny, but:

:negative:

Also holy poo poo that shooter drill. Enslave all managers, but enslave THOSE managers in particular.

Since there’s nothing saying,”gene dx call. Taking lunch late” I’m guessing you are not at my old job. People started notifying when they were taking scheduled breaks, lunch, and bathroom breaks. This is because call centers are stupid and use adherence. Of course, their adherence is not accurate, nor is it legal with some of the things that make you lose points.

Starting a new call center job tomorrow because nobody is willing to pay a living wage for me to hold health insurance companies accountable. They’d just prefer to continue losing money or billing patients for poo poo that it is not the patient’s responsibility to pay.

gently caress this country.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Elviscat posted:

Also my company cut my headcount by 20%, I don't have enough technicians to accomplish work in a timely manner, but we've added (by my best guess) $750,000 in C-suite people in my direct hierarchy. Unless they're going to come down and start turning wrenches or machining parts, they're not going to help get production back on schedule.

The factory I'm visiting is even worse, they have half the techs for an even higher workload, and none of them know what the gently caress is going on (which is why I'm here) I almost hit triple digit hours this week desperately trying to make up the difference. Their headcount is also frozen, in a brain genius loving move. They're located near the largest pool of talent for our industry in the entire world, they could bump their pay rates $5/hr and poach people who know what they're doing like candy.

Note: the 90+ hours on my time sheet is because I'm a loving idiot, no one asked me to do that, I actually had to ask for multiple exceptions to our fatigue management program to even do that.

You’re going to burn yourself out on this poo poo, with the added bonus that the company is going to suffer no repercussions for cutting staff if you try to pick up the slack.

The best way to handle this is to do your 40 hours and go home - you need the downtime and they certainly won’t reward you for your efforts (especially if you’re salaried). You working 90+ hours for roughly the same productivity is a cost savings to them and the VP+ will likely get a bonus for cost reductions.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Looks like one of the cooks is quitting because of the head chef. The serving staff has been a revolving door for a while now. I can't believe they keep putting up with this guy. I'm just glad my interactions with him are so limited. It sucks because I like the guy who's quitting but I hope he finds something better.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Not me, but my bestie is dealing with some poo poo.

Urologist group with multiple clinic locations in town. There's this 22 year old receptionist who keeps running off staff by being an absolute shithead to everyone, including doctors.

This is insane to me, as she's in Arizona, which is a right to work state. They could kick this little twerp and not bat an eye. I've seen admin in hospitals get yeeted for annoying doctors. I don't know what dirt she's got on who, but I told my friend to keep her head down and make allies of the other staff and doctors there. She just started a month ago. :sigh:

Anyhow apparently she got into it with a doctor, telling her "you better go because they won't fire me!" :psypop:, the doctor told the clinic manager either twerp went or the doctor was moving to another location. The doctor had to move! Then twerp was sent over to that location as a float receptionist and upon seeing the doctor told her "told you they wouldn't fire me". Doctor said oh hell no, and she left the practice along with her husband.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

loving lmao "free overtime" i swear to god i will stab a motherfucker

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Take as much as you like!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

We're doing a little event with discounts on our beer next month for our first anniversary as a brewery. I said we should make fliers to distribute to other breweries and craft beer places. Today the restaurant asked how many places I could give fliers to and when I said three he gave me three fliers. He expects to have people hang them up. Does he not know how fliers work?

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 31, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pyrtanis posted:

Not me, but my bestie is dealing with some poo poo.

Urologist group with multiple clinic locations in town. There's this 22 year old receptionist who keeps running off staff by being an absolute shithead to everyone, including doctors.

This is insane to me, as she's in Arizona, which is a right to work state. They could kick this little twerp and not bat an eye. I've seen admin in hospitals get yeeted for annoying doctors. I don't know what dirt she's got on who, but I told my friend to keep her head down and make allies of the other staff and doctors there. She just started a month ago. :sigh:

Anyhow apparently she got into it with a doctor, telling her "you better go because they won't fire me!" :psypop:, the doctor told the clinic manager either twerp went or the doctor was moving to another location. The doctor had to move! Then twerp was sent over to that location as a float receptionist and upon seeing the doctor told her "told you they wouldn't fire me". Doctor said oh hell no, and she left the practice along with her husband.

Goddamn that receptionist gotta share their head game skills cause this is madness

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lmao one time I got forced to work so much overtime in a month that I got in trouble for it and we had an all-hands staff meeting about it.

They straight up talked about me to my face like they weren't talking about me for a half an hour and then I raised my hand and said, "every time I came in for overtime, you guys called me on my day off and threatened my job, then had a staff meeting about what an rear end in a top hat I am for coming in."

Wonder why my time at that drug factory was cut so abruptly short.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Pyrtanis posted:

If you find out why this was allowed to happen, and it was something other than the boring/expected nepotism or fucc&succ, let us know. poo poo must be *lurid*.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Since this guy's been head chef the restaurant can't retain a lot of staff. Most of the servers they hire for part time work leave after less than a month. I don't blame them at all. Why put up with this hard-on when you could get a similar job with similar pay and a huge decrease in abuse from a manchild with a hair trigger temper?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Since this guy's been head chef the restaurant can't retain a lot of staff. Most of the servers they hire for part time work leave after less than a month. I don't blame them at all. Why put up with this hard-on when you could get a similar job with similar pay and a huge decrease in abuse from a manchild with a hair trigger temper?

The easiest way to turn having a lot of money into having a moderate amount of money, etc.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

The easiest way to turn having a lot of money into having a moderate amount of money, etc.

Yeah. It's wild. I'm learning to just observe this with a bit of detachment because while I'd love to have my beers served in a nice restaurant, I just don't think that's in the cards here so I'll enjoy the light schedule and relatively large amount of control over the production schedule and what goes into it. Whether I worry about what's happening there or not, the end result is going to be about the same. I'll clean the lines for my beer because that effects my reputation as a brewer, but beyond that... good luck!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Yeah. It's wild. I'm learning to just observe this with a bit of detachment because while I'd love to have my beers served in a nice restaurant, I just don't think that's in the cards here so I'll enjoy the light schedule and relatively large amount of control over the production schedule and what goes into it. Whether I worry about what's happening there or not, the end result is going to be about the same. I'll clean the lines for my beer because that effects my reputation as a brewer, but beyond that... good luck!

after a decade in line manufacturing, and part of that doing really critical work, I look back on the restaurants I worked at and realize... all they had to do was treat it like a manufacturing environment since that's what it is. Too many egos and poo poo in that line of work, though; chefs considering what they're doing art, regardless of what they are actually doing; owners wanting to never modify their lifestyle to cashflow or scale back their personal involvement in day-to-day; rotating staff up front building no rapport and washing out monthly. Not enough money or people being thrown around to actually foster a real, professional environment.

I will never, ever even think about opening a restaurant loving lol

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 31, 2022

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You shouldn’t cause most restaurants don’t make good money.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I went to a party on Saturday and talked to my buddy who just became #3 at his plant about potentials for post-permanent-shutdown stuff in March and he told me that all his boomer rear end maint are on their way to retirement and never trained anyone, and this company is absolutely planning on manufacturing in this plant for years to come. So they're wanting to hire operators and send them to school to become maint, and I was intending on learning to work on AB PLCs anyway. I told him pay me $60-70k a year and send me back to school to program PLCs, and he said he'd work on it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MrQwerty posted:

after a decade in line manufacturing, and part of that doing really critical work, I look back on the restaurants I worked at and realize... all they had to do was treat it like a manufacturing environment since that's what it is. Too many egos and poo poo in that line of work, though; chefs considering what they're doing art, regardless of what they are actually doing; owners wanting to never modify their lifestyle to cashflow or scale back their personal involvement in day-to-day; rotating staff up front building no rapport and washing out monthly. Not enough money or people being thrown around to actually foster a real, professional environment.

I will never, ever even think about opening a restaurant loving lol

all that coupled with razor thin margins

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Restaurants have been explicitly designed as manufacturing facilities in practice and in theory at least as long as I've been in the business (20 years)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

evilpicard posted:

Restaurants have been explicitly designed as manufacturing facilities in practice and in theory at least as long as I've been in the business (20 years)

Are you talking corporate chain restaurants or small owner restaurants?

edit: to be clear, I'm driving the distinction between restaurants that are part of a larger chain with a management group and ones that operate more or less independently. Once upon a time I knew a guy who had a side-business running restaurants (his main was property development) and even though all his places were under the same management at the very top, in practice each one did its own thing independently and just had to answer to higher up if it wasn't turning a profit.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
My dad ran a successful seafood retailer for several years before (having apparently decided that he had too much free time and money) opening a restaurant against the advice of his mother and his wife. That damned place slowly drained his savings and the stress of running it led to him divorcing my mom. The kicker was that the neighboring city outlawed smoking in restaurants soon after he sold it, so the new owners made a mint off of diners looking for a nearby place to have a cigarette with their meal.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Invalid Validation posted:

You shouldn’t cause most restaurants don’t make good money.

A family member runs a bar/restaurant that for years did ok, but then put in gambling machines and made more money with those in 2 months then he'd normally make in a year.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I do get the impression that running a small restaurant or bar here in Japan is maybe not quite as difficult as it is in the US. I think there are some small places available to rent on the first floor of apartment buildings and stuff, depending on the neighborhood. There are definitely a few places around me that are just kind of open whenever the owner feels like it and they aren't run by super wealthy people as far as I can tell. That said I absolutely have no interest in opening a restaurant.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Oh my God we got an email from finance a few weeks ago wanting to know how on earth we managed to lose almost 100 gallons!!! of $80 per 750ml whiskey.

We ran it for a week straight producing thousands and thousands of cases and using up 10s of thousands of gallons of whiskey. :rolleyes:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Oh my God we got an email from finance a few weeks ago wanting to know how on earth we managed to lose almost 100 gallons!!! of $80 per 750ml whiskey.

We ran it for a week straight producing thousands and thousands of cases and using up 10s of thousands of gallons of whiskey. :rolleyes:

And the filler will be celebrating its 50th birthday this year

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

Losses? At packaging???

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

we're about to have daily meetings about the relaunch of the accounting software (that was supposed to be done in May, then was pushed to Sept and was so hosed we went back to the old software)

21 meeting invitations, all cancelled. Invitations re-sent, a couple people piped up that their divisions were included by accident, all cancelled again. Invitations are being send a third time. this tracks perfectly with the quality i've come to expect from all parties involved.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I ran a demo on Friday that had 107 people invited and 12 attend

press record, send out link, shrug again

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Starting my new job tomorrow and didn't get my onboarding email until 2:15 this afternoon. And it's a division transfer so I'm actually working my last day at my current job now.

Lol.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Losses? At packaging???

EVERY TIME managers freak out over ANY loss at packaging, and production folks are like... do you even know how this equipment works??? Especially when it comes to hiring a mobile canning company with ramshackle equipment.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
COO gave me an ultimatum last Tuesday regarding my hybrid wfh setup; either start coming into the office every day or give me your resignation date. I have until this Friday to decide. While I would have loved to quit on the spot, having a 4 month old means I don't have the luxury of impulsiveness. While I am of course looking for a new job (interview next Tuesday!), my wife has begged me not to quit until I have something lined up, which could take a while. that leaves me with two options:

1) suck it up until I find a new job, meanwhile my wife struggle at home alone all week with the baby
2) pretend to suck it up and ignore him until I find a new job or this goes away (hes only in the office every other week anyways)

Either way I am sending him an email asking (demanding) a review of my compensation, as I passed on a higher paying offer to take this job on the understanding that I would have a hybrid set up (I've got an hour commute each way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

champagne posting posted:

all that coupled with razor thin margins

People ask why I haven't opened my own brewery yet and I just want to gesture to all of this. The brewing and restaurant industries are so similar, brewing just has more emphasis on being a factory environment and less emphasis on substance abuse (usually). I've seen what's involved in owning and operating a place well, and unless I find exactly the right people and situation I refuse to work 100-hour weeks even for myself ever again. I'm honestly incredibly happy I made myself wait 5-10 years before even considering opening my own place, because I've seen how many bright-eyed homebrewers and techbros have utterly failed at it because they just didn't have the knowledge or experience.