Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

American McGay posted:

I think if it doesn't launch directly into Game Pass then there will be a bit of a grace period before it ever does. I think the exact same thing happened with Death's Door. It got a ton of Xbox marketing and people all assumed it would launch in Game Pass. It didn't, but like 6 months later it was added.

True. Most publishers treat Game Pass more as a 'second lease of life' for their games, especially if it's a multiplayer game with a dwindling population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Fanatic posted:

If you're talking about Ghostbusters: Spirit Unleashed, that might be a risky purchase as apparently it appeared in a Game Pass showcase last month and was rumoured to be launching straight to it (didn't happen though). So I'd say it's on the cards. :laugh:

Yeah. I played through the tutorial and it's fun. I am uncoordinated though so it will take me some getting used to.
For $8 you can't go wrong. (requires VPN through Argentina to redeem).

The game starts exactly where Ghostbusters: Afterlife ends. Watch the movie first.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Game Pass and crossplay have Aliens Fireteam a shot in the arm.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I watched a review of it and it said it was really unbalanced in favor of the ghosts.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Ghostbusters game that recently got remastered is a great time. Just wall to wall fan service and the closest we'll get a 3rd Ghostbusters movie. The actual ghost, er, hunting is pretty fun too.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Gunfire Reborn: very fun, twice as janky. At one point the game turned into French for a little while before snapping back to its jaunty English patois.

Probably a blast co-op.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is it crossplay?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

American McGay posted:

Is it crossplay?

I think the windows and Xbox versions can play with each but steam is by itself.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Ghostbusters game that recently got remastered is a great time. Just wall to wall fan service and the closest we'll get a 3rd Ghostbusters movie. The actual ghost, er, hunting is pretty fun too.

Do you mean Ghosbusters: The Video Game remastered? (super clever title). Looks like the original came out in 09 and the remaster in 19
I have that one on xbox and switch but have yet to play it. Ill probably dive into it tomorrow.

edit edit: I spent all morning so far playing GB: Spirits Unleashed and it's good. The first few levels are really grindy and you spend time going "yeah, this is too slow" but once you upgrade your proton pack and thrower it gets a lot better and you can capture quicker. If I was playing with actual people instead of bots it would probably be easier to coordinate since most of the bots are flat out dumb and don't pick up their traps. If you had a good 4-person squad you could assign duties like trap thrower, PKE hunter, etc and get coordinated strikes on these slimy bastards. I can see this being a big hit on gamepass if it does come over. I haven't run into any microtransactions or anything yet, but the whole firehouse is decorated for halloween, and I would assume that the deco will change seasonally so that's fun too.

otter fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 29, 2022

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

First look at Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition on Xbox

The video shows some gameplay and some UI.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is there no way to resize the screen limits to account for overscan in the Xbox system settings aside from an "Well if an app app allows it you can :shrug:" toggle? It's a little annoying considering both the PS5 and Switch have it, and I've got an old 42' Plasma TV that is, apparently, the one model which doesn't let me disable overscanning :argh:.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is there no way to resize the screen limits to account for overscan in the Xbox system settings aside from an "Well if an app app allows it you can :shrug:" toggle? It's a little annoying considering both the PS5 and Switch have it, and I've got an old 42' Plasma TV that is, apparently, the one model which doesn't let me disable overscanning :argh:.

In Settings > General > TV & display options > Video fidelity & overscan, do you have "Apps can add a border" enabled? With that enabled, I believe each app/game should default to an overscan-safe setting, but I suppose it depends on how/whether each app supports it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Buddy why are you buying $700 4K video game consoles with a TV from 2007?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If a TV isn’t broken I refuse to replace it. My TV is ten years old and refuses to die and looks good enough to me

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

hatty posted:

If a TV isn’t broken I refuse to replace it. My TV is ten years old and refuses to die and looks good enough to me

often times ignorance is bliss (I refuse to get into audiophile poo poo so I can listen to Bluetooth headphones and think ‘good enough’) but seriously, a 4K hdr enabled set is like 900 bux these days. Or 1400 if you go for an oled, and it’s like putting glasses on for the first time!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Which for many people is just too much to throw down on a new tv when the old one still works.
Not everyone makes $25-$40/hr.
I mean, consider for a second if someone works for like $12/hr and is able to get a full 40 hours/ wk that’s $2064 gross per month and then there’s taxes and rent and utilities and you know, food etc. A series X is extravagant in that situation, sure but if the stars align and someone gets a bonus or whatever and expects their tv to work fine it can be a bummer if there’s no system wide setting to prevent that.

The money aside some people don’t want to throw an otherwise perfectly good tv on the e-waste pile. Even some goodwill stores don’t want them because of all the other schmucks upgrading. I remember a couple of years ago people talking about finding 55” TVs in alleys because people didn’t want the Craigslist hassle for listing the thing for $50.

Give a goon a break for not spending $900-1400 on a tv

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

otter posted:

You can get a decent 55" 4k TV at Costco for $179 now, and an actually good one for $400.

Series S + a modern TV is cheaper than a Series X.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I usually use a 1080p monitor from 2014 that isn't even OLED and it works fine op. It was $200 back then. I don't think HP manufactures them anymore but a modern equivalent would be better for the same price point.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

otter posted:

No.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Twerk from Home posted:

You can get a decent 55" 4k TV at Costco for $179 now, and an actually good one for $400.
costco also has good prices on glasses, which i would recommend to you

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
amazing they havent fixed the stock issues yet

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unfortunately market forces decided to export the semiconductor industry to southeast Asia where labor was cheaper, meaning only the companies actually producing that stuff had the capital to upgrade to ever more expensive and high tolerance factories required to produce modern components. which then got damaged by some particularly bad typhoons and tsunamis and stuff. so production is currently at an extreme low point while required tolerance and precision and demand are all at extreme highs.

to make a new fabricator plant that can produce stuff like PC/console level CPUs or GPUs etc costs literally a billion dollars lol

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can buy a series X from Microsoft.com right now!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

otter posted:

Do you mean Ghosbusters: The Video Game remastered? (super clever title). Looks like the original came out in 09 and the remaster in 19
I have that one on xbox and switch but have yet to play it. Ill probably dive into it tomorrow.

That's the one!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Larry Parrish posted:

dude there's like 1500 games on BC, although not all of them are available digitally. let's not act like there's nothing worth playing in there.

Mechassault 1 and 2 for example

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Larry Parrish posted:

why would you play a Bethesda game on console lol. Yeah sign me up for the jankiest version possible please. I guess it's at least probably not as crashy as a vanilla PC copy.

Unironically I 100% like Bethesda games, consider them to be fantastic experiences and never can begin to understand the baffling seethe from people that poo poo on Bethesda. I used to wonder if they were incompetent but then I used some time off work to learn some coding and gamedev and my brain flipped from "these incompetent idiots can't stop plates from falling through the ground every now and then" to "it's a marvel that these games aren't more of a horrific nightmare of bugs". There's a reason that Skyrim sold something insane like 30 million+ copies and people don't try and copy it and all of the tech inside of it outside of "big maps". The Witcher is great too but it's definitely not trying to be like Skyrim, it's more like a Bioware game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

amazing they havent fixed the stock issues yet

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Unironically I 100% like Bethesda games, consider them to be fantastic experiences and never can begin to understand the baffling seethe from people that poo poo on Bethesda. I used to wonder if they were incompetent but then I used some time off work to learn some coding and gamedev and my brain flipped from "these incompetent idiots can't stop plates from falling through the ground every now and then" to "it's a marvel that these games aren't more of a horrific nightmare of bugs". There's a reason that Skyrim sold something insane like 30 million+ copies and people don't try and copy it and all of the tech inside of it outside of "big maps". The Witcher is great too but it's definitely not trying to be like Skyrim, it's more like a Bioware game.

My brother in Christ the part the get flak for is not really having much of a game to play

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Xbox keeps winning.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Larry Parrish posted:

My brother in Christ the part the get flak for is not really having much of a game to play

The vast majority of criticism I see re: Bethesda is usually people whining they havent changed their engine(even though they have)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Same, there's nothing quite like a Bethesda RPG, they're my favorite games. Can't wait for Starfield, hope it will get a release date soon.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Twerk from Home posted:

Series S + a modern TV is cheaper than a Series X.

yeah but then you'd be helping to keep xbox devs from getting good games out the door. I still cannot believe that nonsense.

Current debate on TVs in my house is if the kids should have one in their new rooms when they are finished.
I say yea, wife says nay.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

otter posted:

yeah but then you'd be helping to keep xbox devs from getting good games out the door. I still cannot believe that nonsense.

Current debate on TVs in my house is if the kids should have one in their new rooms when they are finished.
I say yea, wife says nay.

Compromise on 90s 13" tube tvs from goodwill.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The vast majority of criticism I see re: Bethesda is usually people whining they havent changed their engine(even though they have)

gamebryo with more graphics isn't a new engine

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

"I don't like how my TV won't show the entire screen" followed immediately by "looks good enough to me" is some intense doublethink

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Ruffian Price posted:

"I don't like how my TV won't show the entire screen" followed immediately by "looks good enough to me" is some intense doublethink

It would be but these two things were said by different people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

American McGay posted:

Buddy why are you buying $700 4K video game consoles with a TV from 2007?

It's a 42 inch panasonic plasma that does 1080p with inputs for goddamn everything, even VGA for my Dreamcast.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a 42 inch panasonic plasma that does 1080p with inputs for goddamn everything, even VGA for my Dreamcast.

I just play Dreamcast games through my Xbox over HDMI and sleep in a big bed with my wife

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Bethesda are seemingly the only company who knows how to make an interesting open world game where the open-worldness of it is the point of the game and not just a way to pad out the content with a million optional side things. Has any other company (besides Obsidian) actually made a Bethesda-style open world where there are no "point of interest" icons, no story progression beyond the arbitrarily designated "main quest", and you actually just have the whole world at your disposal to do as you please and role-playing is actually possible? I can't really think of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUsNyGvA6bU&t=47s