Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Village is a good game but they could have maybe they could have got some people with European accents to voice the few people in the European village instead of a bunch of California voice actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Phenotype posted:

More God of War chat: this game is hot garbage. Fighting the first valkyrie right now, and nope, this combat system is janky poo poo. I will beat this valkyrie when it decides to let me, and not one moment before. Sometimes it doesn't acknowledge that I've dodged so it can hit me anyway, sometimes it interrupts a combo with an unavoidable attack even though it should be stunned, sometimes it likes to hit me with the red stab when I'm well out of range. Just miserable to play. I have no idea how they put so much effort into every other part of the game and didn't bother to make their combat system work properly.

E: just got her to 1%, she hit me with the wing spin even though I clearly dodged, then comboed me into the red stab to kill me even though I clearly dodged that, too. Hot loving trash.

E2: k, finally killed it. No sense of accomplishment whatsoever, just got lucky it decided not to ignore my dodges and blocks this time. What a poo poo game goddamn.

Works on my machine

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

Village is a good game but they could have maybe they could have got some people with European accents to voice the few people in the European village instead of a bunch of California voice actors.

Imo it was only good once. Replays arent fun for me cause the middle of the game is so slow

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I kind of want to replay GoW but I'm already in the middle of a bunch of stuff I'm playing for the first time so I don't really have time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Same. Wanted to replay it before ragnarok but I’m too backlogged and stuff I haven’t played yet gets priority.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Phenotype posted:

More God of War chat: this game is hot garbage. Fighting the first valkyrie right now, and nope, this combat system is janky poo poo. I will beat this valkyrie when it decides to let me, and not one moment before. Sometimes it doesn't acknowledge that I've dodged so it can hit me anyway, sometimes it interrupts a combo with an unavoidable attack even though it should be stunned, sometimes it likes to hit me with the red stab when I'm well out of range. Just miserable to play. I have no idea how they put so much effort into every other part of the game and didn't bother to make their combat system work properly.

E: just got her to 1%, she hit me with the wing spin even though I clearly dodged, then comboed me into the red stab to kill me even though I clearly dodged that, too. Hot loving trash.

E2: k, finally killed it. No sense of accomplishment whatsoever, just got lucky it decided not to ignore my dodges and blocks this time. What a poo poo game goddamn.

I dropped it about a half way through. The average combat felt a little too slow and clunky (and there is not nearly enough enemy variety), though bosses were fun. The MMO style loot system is unfun (and killed my desire to explore when I realized the rewards always felt like junk. ER had a somewhat of a similar problem with catacombs loot likely not being useful for your particular build, but it was useful for someone’s build and the combat was more fun. Also a bunch of the exploring in GoW is just regular enemies but they are at a higher level so they just one shot you until you come back later). I like the story sequences, boss fights, and set piece sequences, but I didn’t want to slog through 80% of the game to get to the 20% good parts. I would have loved an 6-8 hour cut of the game that was just the best parts.

I hope Raganrok fixes a lot of my issues with the game, but I am not super hopeful.

Fake Edit: Like I get Kratos is out of practice, older and more physically and emotionally tired, and isn’t filled with rage anymore, but the basic enemies just felt like they have too much health. I suppose it’s a character action game, but it’s not really like DMC and other faster games. Enemies shouldn’t have so much health that Kratos can just juggle them. Makes it feel like the hits have no weight.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m about to preorder Ragnarok and am trying to figure out what I want to try to start and beat before it drops. So many games!!!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I want Ragnarok but I don't think I want it enough to pay £70. I don't think I want any game enough to pay £70.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
GoW combat rules. It's anything but slow at least for me. Managing threat/targets using the boy as a distraction, swapping weapons, strategically freezing dudes, working in those perfect parries, or timing a stun kill to get some iframes feels so solid and engaging to me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

e: ^definitely top 5 action brawler character action whatever combat for me!

I’ve been picky about waiting for sales lately but most Sony first party is day one pretty much no matter what for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

withoutclass posted:

GoW combat rules. It's anything but slow at least for me. Managing threat/targets using the boy as a distraction, swapping weapons, strategically freezing dudes, working in those perfect parries, or timing a stun kill to get some iframes feels so solid and engaging to me.

Yeah I'm very excited to fight something that isn't a draugr on the 9th

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

e: ^definitely top 5 action brawler character action whatever combat for me!

I’ve been picky about waiting for sales lately but most Sony first party is day one pretty much no matter what for me.

We're too close to the holidays for me to be gifting myself anything so I'm hoping to get it for Christmas. If not I'll pony up the full price for sure.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

JBP posted:

Yeah I'm very excited to fight something that isn't a draugr on the 9th

I hope there are even more draugr for me to rip and tear!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I paid so little attention to the combat in the first one that I didn’t even realise your fists were a viable option in it compared to the weapons, so I’m looking forward to digging into this one a bit more. Although I still won’t remember any of the big combos because I never do in games.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Same. Wanted to replay it before ragnarok but I’m too backlogged and stuff I haven’t played yet gets priority.

I think id like ragnarok less if i was already tired of its core gameplay after 25 hours of the original in the same week

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

I paid so little attention to the combat in the first one that I didn’t even realise your fists were a viable option in it compared to the weapons, so I’m looking forward to digging into this one a bit more. Although I still won’t remember any of the big combos because I never do in games.

The axe is so much fun to use that I forget the fists. That is until I queue up the axe to auto-chop mode and remember I can be punching people while the axe chops them.

Real hurthling! posted:

I think id like ragnarok less if i was already tired of its core gameplay after 25 hours of the original in the same week

I'm replaying and it's out me in the mood. More moves and stuff, feels like unlocks are coming for me.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Imo it was only good once. Replays arent fun for me cause the middle of the game is so slow

Yeah the doll house segment is cool once and then absolutely kills replays for me. The swamp section isn’t much better as it’s mostly just a setpiece. I just wanna explore and shoot things.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think 7 has a similar problem as it peaks early with the house and then it’s like ugh poo poo I gotta do the bug house and the Lucas escape room and the ship which drags forever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In NG+ Ethan should be able to say "Ibsen Schmibsen" and skip the entire dollhouse sequence.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

man nurse posted:

I think 7 has a similar problem as it peaks early with the house and then it’s like ugh poo poo I gotta do the bug house and the Lucas escape room and the ship which drags forever

Capcom has been doing this for like 20 years. Even the first Onimusha game has a sequence in the middle where you have to play as a different character with an extremely, extremely limited move set but you’re are still expected to fight the regular enemies. Kills all replay value.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

That is RE3make done! As you can see from the number of deaths I never quite got the hang of the dodge button, but I still had a good time with it.

Overall I still think I'd give the edge to RE2make. Leon is just the right combination of dimwitted cop turned action hero that him poking around a haunted museum police station just feels great, and after playing both you can really appreciate how intricately mapped together RE2 is compared to how RE3 takes place in several different distinct areas and glosses over how you got to each one.

Now I feel pretty much obligated to day one buy RE4make, as maybe the last person alive who has never played the original!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

GoW combat is super fun. It's also really fast if you manage stun and execution abilities well. If you try to play it like a souls game and just chip away at health bars with lights and heavy attacks, it will take forever, so don't do that. If you are balancing your abilities but still have trouble getting through enemies quickly, it's totally acceptable to lower the difficulty to something that feels more balanced for you.

And the valkyries were extremely fun and well-designed skill-based challenges. It was a ton of fun to defeat them all.

The only part I dislike is the chalice dungeon-style randomly generated world. That was just kinda boring and grindy. But you have to do it if you want to challenge all the valkyries because one is hidden in there (In a random location each time aargh).

Ragnarok is gonna own so hard.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

GoW combat has its issues but it’s pretty drat fun and better than the combat in most western AAA games
the first Valkyrie really shouldn’t be that hard tbqh she only has like three attacks or something

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

im sorry i was mad posting from my phone when i was sitting on the couch getting my rear end beat

But seriously, the combat is a big disappointment. I love the puzzling for whatever reason, it feels really satisfying to play, it looks great, the relationship with Kratos and Boy and now Mimir and Freya is great, and honestly the typical fights are a lot more fun now that I'm out of Alfheim. It just breaks down really hard on the more difficult encounters because it's just not nearly as tight as something like Elden Ring.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it sounds like you’re just ignoring combat mechanics and blaming the game for essentially choosing to play with one hand tied behind your back

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

use your shield if an attack isn't unblockable. your shield is good. your dodge roll is bad.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

it sounds like you’re just ignoring combat mechanics and blaming the game for essentially choosing to play with one hand tied behind your back

Nah, I think I'm using pretty much the whole kit. I worked out what I think was the "intended" way to fight -- because if you're not doing exactly what they intended, you can't win. It just feels bad. The dodge/roll only goes a short distance and doesn't have many invincibility frames and there's weird recovery time on the end, and there's not a lot of feedback to tell you what can be dodged versus what needs to be blocked. The Valkyrie seemed to need both in the same combo, which just felt fuckin weird. Like, in one of her swoopy combos I would dodge the first attack and then I guess there's no way to dodge the second attack reliably(?) because I had to block the second hit to get through that consistently without taking damage.

I dunno, Elden Ring was the last game that played anything like this, and it is almost painful going from one to the other. GoW just seems so much less smooth or intuitive, and a lot more rigid.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 31, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the fact that the first thing you bring up is the dodge roll proves me right. the valkyrie's swoop-charge can be avoided by dodging twice. blockable attacks are yellow and should be parried. atreus is an entire button, are you still shrugging and going "i dunno" instead of using him? taking advantage of the i-frames on runic attacks? upgrading your spirit summons? have you even bothered to keep your equipment up to date?

this isn't dark souls, it's no wonder you're getting your rear end kicked trying to play it that way

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just got the move that lets you hyper armor through attacks and counter and it beat the game for me

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Like okay, I've been sailing around and I found another difficult optional fight against a Traveler that's a couple levels above me, and I was getting frustrated after my first couple tries on him, too. He just keeps on attacking, one red move after another, and I'm sitting there like "what the gently caress he just KEEPS GOING" and then I did figure it out. You get in this pattern of dodging his red move and attacking once and dodging again and attacking and making the boy shoot him with arrows and it's a pretty neat rhythm.

Except it's so loving rigid. The thrown axe bounces off of him, so you can't poke at him from a distance. The ice laser runic attack (MVP) literally doesn't affect him at all. The boy's light arrows don't stun him, so you never get in any free hits (except I guess when he targets the boy, but even that is perilous because he can change his mind and attack you at any moment.) There's literally no way to beat him if you're not doing exactly the combat rhythm they intended -- near-perfectly, because if you miss one of your mushy-feeling dodges then he hits like a truck. I won't say it wasn't a fun fight once I got the hang of it, I'm just not a fan of the design behind it.

Oxxidation posted:

the valkyrie's swoop-charge can be avoided by dodging twice.

this is a bold-faced lie, sir.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ignoring the inherent risk in attacking miniboss-level enemies 2 levels higher than you (the maximum level is 8, that's a significant gap) travelers can be stunlocked by atreus's wolf summon or staggered by heavy-hitting runic attacks like the R1 axe throw or pretty much any R2 one except the laser beam

you are not supposed to just feebly plink at any enemy in this game. you smash into them with as many special attacks as you can to keep them off-balance and fire off spartan rage when it's available. the "near-perfect" requirement is only if you're face-smashing against higher-level enemies with poor equipment, same as if you tried to do something like no-hit the tree sentinel in elden ring as soon as you encountered it

and yes, double-tapping dodge initiates a roll that's clumsy but more than enough to avoid the valkyries' swoop-charge. each of their attacks has a hard counter - the wing tornado needs to be blocked and the rushing wing stab requires you to dodge to the right (or their left, because they always stab with their right-side wing)

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 31, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stop dodge rolling lol. The dodge step is there to keep you wheeling around the opponent while you weave in your full combos. If you attack and aren't going to finish a combo it's not going to hurt the opponent much. Use shield. Always be spamming runics.

E: punch the poo poo out of the travelers and their clothes fall off

EE: also yeah two levels is a massive difference (level 8 gear upgrades often raise individual stats by 20+ points a piece from level 7) so you will get smashed at level 6 unless you're playing perfectly.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 31, 2022

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Coming back to Maneater and it is a charming, gory time playing Fallout: Amity Island, but it remains intensely frustrating that a) there's no target-lock on the camera and b) you really do have to just grind to take on enemies because you literally cannot defeat enemies more than 4 levels higher than you.

Dr. Leo Spaceman yukking it up as a deranged nature show host is tons of fun though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

drat, between the ice draugur that doesn't take damage from your axe and all the bare-handed upgrades was enough to explain the axe not being all you could use.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finally went back and finished NEO TWEWY this evening. I enjoyed it, but I was getting a little fatigued when I hit Week 3, Final Day Double Prime

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only truly important thing to remember in gow is once you upgrade the axe always use L2+R2 to recall it in battle because it's loving awesome

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

JBP posted:

The only truly important thing to remember in gow is once you upgrade the axe always use L2+R2 to recall it in battle because it's loving awesome

Getting BOY to stun one of those disappearing witches and then doing a heavy throw > jumping slam recall to finish them off is a fantastic feeling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The key to GoW for me was the one runic attack I found that offered iframes throughout most of its animation. I'm not sure if any of the others do, because I used it for the whole game and never considered changing it (it's some kind of shield charge move)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

There is also like witch time in there too iirc
Theres a lot of missable, gear-based abilities that make the game completely different to play than normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

haveblue posted:

The key to GoW for me was the one runic attack I found that offered iframes throughout most of its animation. I'm not sure if any of the others do, because I used it for the whole game and never considered changing it (it's some kind of shield charge move)

I like the axe throw light runic (Leviathan's wake). Fairly fast cool down, short animation and it does a shitload of damage. If you line up a few dudes the explosions/axe hit them all and you can kill the whole lot in one go. Really good.

I also like the heavy axe throw (glaivestorm or something) but you have to be really careful with it because Kratos stands there looking rad and puffing his chest while it happens.