Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So having accomplished my goal of working on my backlog to a point that I'm happy with, I've decided to finally to return to FF14.

Previously, I was playing the game via the free trial, but I had hit the point where I had hit the gil cap, so I went ahead and bought the full game pack that came with Shadowbringers. I played for the duration of the 30-day free trial, but I decided to take a break because I spending most of my free time with the game, and I wanted to play other stuff. This was right before Endwalker came out, I think.

My plan was just to do the Entry pricing plan (at $12.99/month), because I only have the one character so far, and I don't see myself making another 7 characters at the moment.

However, the issue I have about jumping back in is that I sort of lost track of where I was in the story. I had finished the MSQ for A Realm Reborn, and was working my way through the interim between ARR and Heavensward (from what I heard, I guess you could say I quit FF14 before it really starts to get good) before I stopped.

From looking at the multitude of screenshots I took, this is what I remember of the story:
  • Did the intro bits in Ul'dah
  • Started training to be a Black Mage
  • Visited the Scions at their HQ outside Ul'dah
  • Did some quests to help the forest sprites
  • Did some quests pertaining to wine.
  • Found Cid
  • Met Hydaelyn
  • Traveled to the snowy region with all the knights/inquisitors/etc.
  • Found Biggs and Wedge
  • Found the Galactic Roman Empire base and did the final dungeon where you fight Gaius, and watched the ending where you escape, and it teases the return of the evil crystal dudes (Lahabrea and the Ascians)
  • Did the FF15 promotional quest that I spent tons of time at the Gold Saucer farming credits to buy the car mount. (Also why I might not remember a lot of the main quest, because I start blazing through it to try and finish it so I could get the car before the event ended).
  • Found Minfilia's mom, F'lhaminn.
  • Fought corrupted Moogles
  • Gained access to the Crystal Tower
  • Did the Dragon Quest promotional event
  • Met Yugiri, who had something to do with the events in Ul'dah.
  • At some point, the Scions moved house to Revenant's Toll
  • Met with Ramuh
  • Urianger and Minfilia made some long techno-babble speech on the nature of crystals or something
  • A few cutscenes teasing Heavensward, showing the Pope-looking guy, and the knight (Varis?)
  • Dealing with the spy in the Immortal Flames
  • Meeting/fighting Midgarsormr.
  • Doing a bunch of quests in the snowy region for Haurchefant.

Unfortunately, I can't remember a lot of the minor characters or minute details involved with all the quests.

The other thing that has me a bit apprehensive is regarding how much I missed in terms of time-exclusive content while I was gone. I can live without it, but I do remember checking in at one point and seeing that there were some new emotes you could get at Gold Saucer (the Show Left/Show Right emotes from June), and I'm a little sad about not being able to get those. :sigh:

Is there anything I should know or look into before I jump back in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Max Wilco posted:

Is there anything I should know or look into before I jump back in?
You caught the long and short of it, and 2.X was released over well over a year, real time, so they didn't even expect concurrent players to remember everything. Right now, you're actually at the tail end of the post-ARR/2.X patches, right before it gets really good, and very close to all these disparate threads kind of getting tied together. If you ever do feel like you missed something major and wanna rewatch cutscenes, you can do so in any of the inns in the capital cities.

Also, don't worry about missing timed exclusives. You have the FF15 car, which is a hella good event reward, and is still one of very few mounts with more than two seats. Most of the others cost $30 or more in real actual money. And most of the event exclusives are only timed exclusives and are released on the Mogstore later to be bought for IRL money.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Sanguina on the boards here did a full Heavensward LP, and is now doing one for Stormblood, but before that they did a "newbie journal" in the old masterthread. It's not quite a full LP, but they covered things in pretty good depth, so it could probably work as a refresher. Here's their post history:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892748&userid=183048

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just do what I did when I came back to the game after burning out years ago: pretend your WoL has face-blindness and is just trying to play along when someone says "nice to see you again" or "it's so sad that Billy got sat on by a malboro, you had such a history together."

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Remember when each expansion releases they have to consider people jumping back in who haven't played for a year or so anyway. So they do tend to reiterate important points as they go.

If you really want there's a new game plus function that lets you replay sections of the msq, but you'll probably be fine to jump on in.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Just do what I did when I came back to the game after burning out years ago: pretend your WoL has face-blindness and is just trying to play along when someone says "nice to see you again" or "it's so sad that Billy got sat on by a malboro, you had such a history together."

The warrior of light got hit on the head by a coconut and spent four amnesiac years living among the, let’s say, kobolds.

E: naturally the twins didn’t grow up at all in this time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone have a ballpark idea of when I can craft the Answers orchestrion roll? I believe it's a 60** ALC craft, so it would be a challenge at 60 without min-maxing gear/food. Is it as simple a matter of just leveling to 70 or 80 to make it more achievable?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Master recipes will have stat requirements much higher than regular recipes, so you'll either need to be higher level or well-melded / fed. Being level 70 in 70 gear would be trivial.

That said, orchestrion rolls don't require quality, and are thus much easier to make since you can just hammer the progress bar.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That said, orchestrion rolls don't require quality, and are thus much easier to make since you can just hammer the progress bar.

Ohhhhh.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I mean, you can max out quality, but it doesn't do anything. I've crafted some of the 90 rolls in the basic gear without overmeldong/min maxing, but that was basically using the high progress opener, intuition, then some more progress actions. No manip shenanigans needed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You do it because Quality is the score bar for crafting and why would you bother just doing the minimum? :colbert:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if you don't max out quality byregot will punish you by giving you poor condition on all finishers

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

If you craft Answers at 0 quality you get the track where its played on a kazoo

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If you craft La Hee at 100% quality you get the Otamatone version

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Feldegast42 posted:

So the HQ version

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Qwertycoatl posted:

If you craft La Hee at 100% quality you get the Otamatone version

I have this mod permanently active https://www.xivmodarchive.com/modid/35096

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

real talk: you can crank up quality for stuff like music/furniture if you're not at level cap yet and want the exp, so there's a very marginal benefit there.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright how am I supposed to get a party together for the Singularity Reactor :negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

quiggy posted:

Alright how am I supposed to get a party together for the Singularity Reactor :negative:

queue up for it and let the servers do the work?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Bruceski posted:

queue up for it and let the servers do the work?

I eventually got a duty pop, after 45 minutes :/

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oof. What time was it when you did that?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It was just now, so I guess the pop was around 1:20 PM ET. I'm playing as WHM too which made it especially frustrating.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wild. I've never had a queue take that long, especially not as a healer. Maybe the only mentor available was also a healer?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I got signed up and I'm back in the world of Eorzea!

Upon opening up the game, I got a message to accept a Returner's Bounty. I decided to accept it, but I don't really know what I'm supposed to do in regards to it.

I went to the Delivery Moogle, and I got a few items (10 silver chocobo feathers, friendship circlet, fistbump emote, and 99 aetheryte tickets). I forget what the feathers and circlet do, but it reminded me that I maybe should input a friend code if that's possible.

I ran through the All Saints Wake event and got all the stuff from it. Then I did some Weaver crafting, and realized that I need to branch out to some of the other gathering/crafting professions to get materials to advance in weaving (particularly Botanist and Leatherworker).

Have some more I wanted to ask about, but I need to play some more.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
The beginner secret to crafting is that all the materials for items up to level 10-15 or so can be purchased from a vendor in the same building where your crafter quest contact is. Otherwise you can go to the Market board and see if the low level materials are available for sale.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

girl dick energy posted:

Wild. I've never had a queue take that long, especially not as a healer. Maybe the only mentor available was also a healer?

The final trials seem to have that kind of problem, had a similar issue with Shadowbringers and Endwalker. Granted for SHB I was DPS, but I was a tank for EW.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
You can spend the silver chocobo feathers at a Calamity Salvager to get random early- to mid-game armor and weapons. I don't think they have anything that's unique to the silver feathers - it's mostly early dungeon gear and then mid-level Tomestone stuff - but it's a way to get a thing without spending tomestones on it.

I'd recommend skipping the green items, since they're just dungeon drops.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Trial roulette isn't great when it isn't mid prime time. It's a low experience roulette and some of the story trials are questionable experiences.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

S.D. posted:

The beginner secret to crafting is that all the materials for items up to level 10-15 or so can be purchased from a vendor in the same building where your crafter quest contact is. Otherwise you can go to the Market board and see if the low level materials are available for sale.

You can get quite a few of the 15-30 ingredients from the housing district vendor.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

quiggy posted:

It was just now, so I guess the pop was around 1:20 PM ET. I'm playing as WHM too which made it especially frustrating.

ARF is only in 5678 which is a pretty low reward roulette unfortunately. It'd be nice if they restructured the roulettes a bit so it was either more desirable to run 5678 with a bit more regularity (wouldn't be surprised if a relic step incentivizes it directly, but that's a bandaid) or if they did something like MSQ required 5678 dungeons also appeared in levelling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

questions

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I started crafting and gathering for the first time ever so as to save some gil on glams. So, I'm getting skybuilder scrip for my intended gear, but I'm also getting skybuilder points. What do skybuilder points get me?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Achievements, if you get enough -- there are minions if you get to 50k on any one crafting and any one gathering class, and more stuff for 500k, with a mount if you get 500k on everything (hahahaha no)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That mount is one of the rarest in the game and one time I saw a dude with it and it was cool

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I kind of want it, but I'm not sure if I'm a true doom gatherhead enough to get 500k on, like, fishing

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

That mount is one of the rarest in the game and one time I saw a dude with it and it was cool

I saw it a couple of times, one time on a dude with necromancer and a ultimate sword/shield combo from 2 different trials. Just imagine what their /playtime is ...

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Algid posted:

I saw it a couple of times, one time on a dude with necromancer and a ultimate sword/shield combo from 2 different trials. Just imagine what their /playtime is ...

the canon WoL

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RME posted:

ARF is only in 5678 which is a pretty low reward roulette unfortunately. It'd be nice if they restructured the roulettes a bit so it was either more desirable to run 5678 with a bit more regularity (wouldn't be surprised if a relic step incentivizes it directly, but that's a bandaid) or if they did something like MSQ required 5678 dungeons also appeared in levelling.
Which is a drat shame. I really like Numbers Roulette, because unlike Leveling Roulette, or even Trials, you can pretty much guarantee that you'll have at least something like a functional kit.

I think I actually like Toto-Rak less than Satasha or Tam-Tara. Without any jank or the potential for ridiculous wall-to-wall hellpulls, there's nothing to distract you from the fact that you have like four buttons in your rotation, and two of them are role actions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

questions

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

girl dick energy posted:

Which is a drat shame. I really like Numbers Roulette, because unlike Leveling Roulette, or even Trials, you can pretty much guarantee that you'll have at least something like a functional kit.

I think I actually like Toto-Rak less than Satasha or Tam-Tara. Without any jank or the potential for ridiculous wall-to-wall hellpulls, there's nothing to distract you from the fact that you have like four buttons in your rotation, and two of them are role actions.
They really, really need to rework the extremely early game experience. EVERY class should go into Satasha with, at minimum:

1. A full 1-2-3 combo
2. An AoE attack
3. An oGCD attack or heal (AST should NOT be the only one with a good oGCD heal at 15)
4. Healer class's regen equivalent (SCH and SGE have their fairy and Kardion, after all)